Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm starting to think we have some kind of super baby that only needs like half the sleep actually recommend for his age...

My pediatrician literally diagnosed my first son as "a lean, high-energy baby" to explain away his hatred of sleep. Not that it helped, but it was nice to have a "diagnosis" for it, even though it really was kind of useless to know.

The best way we learned to deal with it was routine, routine, routine. He is (at 6) full of energy and skinny as a rail, so we still refer to him as our lean, high-energy baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

VorpalBunny posted:

"a lean, high-energy baby"

This is interesting since he's something in the 10% for weight as well. He's lean and quite aware/active. We have several friends with babies around the same age and all of them are chubby, and a few outright look like someone inflated them with a bike pump. Our guy is long and lean. I'm kinda looking forward to an active lean kiddo since we live near some decent hiking and such and can't wait to get him out there.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I didn't realize when our doctor called our son a "big boy" that that was a diagnosis!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Another possible thing you can, which may be easier for you, is get one of those books with the big thick pages and sit down with your baby and read those. After each page you can just go on about what you are seeing ("wow, look at that red bear! He is standing on the green grass" etc etc etc). That has proven to increase literacy and help foster speaking.

Yeah, fortunately he already really likes reading! Well, being read to. We read him several books as part of his bedtime routine and he brings me books during the day when he wants me to read them.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

kaschei posted:

I didn't realize when our doctor called our son a "big boy" that that was a diagnosis!

I figured he was just saying it to make me feel better about my son not napping, but it has played out over the years. Who knows? :shrug:

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

LogisticEarth posted:

Oh man does my little guy (4 months) not like to sleep. It's a struggle almost every night, and every nap. We get him bathed and ready to go at 6:00 and it takes between 2-4 hours every night to get him down for good. I'm dreading trying to do any significant sleep training as he will eventually work himself up to screaming bloody murder. Otherwise he's a pretty happy dude, but man, night sucks.

Like, right now it's 9:15, he's fully awake and cooing in the swing after a couple hours of trying to rock him asleep.

I'm starting to think we have some kind of super baby that only needs like half the sleep actually recommend for his age...

The four month sleep regression is a bitch.

skeetied fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 10, 2017

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, it really leaves you pining for those 18 hours of sleep time at 3 month.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Tagichatn posted:

ears eyes knees and toes

Hang on, what is this song? In the UK we have "Head, shoulders, knees and toes..." Then it goes "and eyes and ears and mouth and nose, head, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes)!" How does your version go?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Bollock Monkey posted:

Hang on, what is this song? In the UK we have "Head, shoulders, knees and toes..." Then it goes "and eyes and ears and mouth and nose, head, shoulders, knees and toes (knees and toes)!" How does your version go?

I'm in the US. That's how our version goes.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Yeah, I'm in the US and it has always been exactly like you say, so I don't know what the other guy was talking about unless he screwed up.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

skeetied posted:

The four month sleep regression is a bitch.

Oh boy is it ever, and it apparently never actually ends. We went from two beautiful five hour stretches at night with one feed in between to waking up every two hours like he was a newborn. I don't really mind per se. It's not ideal but I know what I signed up for.

E: and he's six months now

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Oh boy is it ever, and it apparently never actually ends. We went from two beautiful five hour stretches at night with one feed in between to waking up every two hours like he was a newborn. I don't really mind per se. It's not ideal but I know what I signed up for.

E: and he's six months now

Is your little dude still sleeping badly at 6mo?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

When the four month sleep regression hit my kid he slept badly from then until 2.5 years.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

sheri posted:

When the four month sleep regression hit my kid he slept badly from then until 2.5 years.

I have twins and they never slept through the night "at the same time" until they were four. Those were some long years :(

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

fishhooked posted:

Is your little dude still sleeping badly at 6mo?

He sure is! Though I don't know if I'd use the word badly, I don't think the way he sleeps is abnormal. Some nights aren't too crazy and he'll go from 730/8-11, 11-3, then from 3 to anywhere between 5-7. He's starting to teethe and nights are harder on him for sure.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Our kid slept 9+ hours a night starting somewhere between 2 and 3 months I think and never really regressed you can all wish death upon me. I wish I could say it was something we magically did to make it work. We did make sure to let him cry a little at night if he woke up and see if he would put himself back to sleep so he'd learn how to do that rather than jumping up as soon as we heard something. I think that helped...we never had to let him cry a lot, just didn't get up immediately if we heard him wake up. I assume you've tried that but random suggestion I guess.

He seems to hate napping though, or more accurately, wants to fall asleep in your arms and hates being put down to sleep. Weekend naps are often taken in the stroller...

e: the purpose of this post is really that I'm curious if people are doing things differently than we did and if there's a different result.

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 12, 2017

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The things that are different are the kids, not the strategies :)

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

sheri posted:

The things that are different are the kids, not the strategies :)

Definitely. Every baby is different. We had our six month check up today, and the doctor didn't even ask if he was sleeping through the night. Just if he was sleeping OK. Other women in a group for April babies were told to start night weaning and sleep training, I just plain old couldn't do that at this point.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We've just started trying sleep training and dropping the night feed on our 10mo. I've slept on her bedroom floor the past four nights.

I forgot how much this sucked.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

sheri posted:

I can't imagine this torment!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Well it turns out that breastfeeding twins is kind of hard.

gently caress I'm gonna hate going back to work in a few months

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Went from my 8 month old sleeping ten hours straight each night to waking up every two to three hours now that he's almost ten months old. I miss sleep.

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

KingColliwog posted:

Well it turns out that breastfeeding twins is kind of hard.

gently caress I'm gonna hate going back to work in a few months

It's really hard! Don't feel pressured to do it and keep smashing your head against the wall over and over if it's not working for you. You've got enough to do and keep yourself busy. One of my twins had a tongue tie and never "got" breastfeeding even after we got it resolved. My wife figured out a system of nursing one, pumping and supplementing with formula that worked for us. If it's really important to you, by all means do what you can do to make it work. But you're not a failure if it just doesn't work out for you. Our boys got pumped milk for ~6 months with formula supplementation and they're both happy and wonderful. Preserving your sanity and energy to be a good parent is going to help you out in the long run.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

E-Money posted:

It's really hard! Don't feel pressured to do it and keep smashing your head against the wall over and over if it's not working for you. You've got enough to do and keep yourself busy. One of my twins had a tongue tie and never "got" breastfeeding even after we got it resolved. My wife figured out a system of nursing one, pumping and supplementing with formula that worked for us. If it's really important to you, by all means do what you can do to make it work. But you're not a failure if it just doesn't work out for you. Our boys got pumped milk for ~6 months with formula supplementation and they're both happy and wonderful. Preserving your sanity and energy to be a good parent is going to help you out in the long run.

Yeah absolutely this. My wife and I have twins too and their mom just wasn’t able to breastfeed the both of them simultaneously for more than the first two or three months. We supplemented with formula and then made the full transition over — the kids kept growing and my wife got less frustrated, so I’d say it was a net gain for everyone! I can’t imagine what it’s like raising triplets... one boob per baby seems like a good ratio!

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Yeah I try to make sure my girlfriend doesn't feel pressured and that she understand it's ok if she wants to stop, while trying not to push the "stop this it's insane" side either. She really loved breastfeeding our first son even if it was ridiculously hard at first so it's something she'd really want to do.

We have to supplement with something similar to this because they lost 10% of their weight after birth. Which make night feeding a bitch (we basically do the full commercial milk routine + deal with the problems of breastfeeding. Cleaning those loving tubes at 3 am is not super fun!). Luckily, they sleep really well compared to our first son so it's still kind of easier. We're starting to cut that thing out which is making the whole endeavour way easier. I'm starting to think we are done with the hardest part.

We also live in a country with great healthcare :quebec: :canada: so we have a nurse coming over every few days to make sure the babies are doing ok and will go to a special breastfeeding clinic next week where she'll probably get something to help her produce even more milk.

Anyway, seeing her breastfeeding 2 babies at the same time is quite a sight

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 16, 2017

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
What's the obsession with teaching children barnyard animals? Half the books we have focus on them. Is it just that we haven't updated our perception of what a one-year-old should know in a century or so? Pop culture seems to be rather opinionated that "the cow says moo" is important.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

KernelSlanders posted:

What's the obsession with teaching children barnyard animals? Half the books we have focus on them. Is it just that we haven't updated our perception of what a one-year-old should know in a century or so? Pop culture seems to be rather opinionated that "the cow says moo" is important.

I was just thinking about this when thinking about childrens songs, and "The Farmer in the Dell" came up. I mean, I still live in an agricultural area and my kid will definitely be interacting with farm animals at many points in his life, but for an increasing number of kids, they're so far removed from farms it's laughable. We still eat a shitload of animals though, so it's good to know what they are! Regardless though, I think people just love the idea of farm life and cute farm animals. We have an increasing number of agri-tainment operations where people can come up and pet the nice dairy cow or pig or whatever and then go buy some nice tasty ice cream and house-smoked bacon at the farmstand. :v:

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 16, 2017

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

KernelSlanders posted:

Most kids like animals.

Other thing, animals are reasonably timeless. While it doesn't come up every single day, knowing what a goat looks like has turned up more useful than knowing an 8 track cassette, or a nokia phone, or a 78 AMC Concord.

I had my kids memorize every tree species on the walk to school. That was kinda fun, and another large-category fractal knowledge base that may come up more useful than memorizing pokemons.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 16, 2017

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

LogisticEarth posted:

We have an increasing number of agri-tainment operations

I took my 15 month old to a rooftop "farm" in Queens yesterday. She was thoroughly unimpressed with the chickens.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

KernelSlanders posted:

I took my 15 month old to a rooftop "farm" in Queens yesterday. She was thoroughly unimpressed with the chickens.

What does she like? I'm kinda curious about that. Most toddlers love the poo poo out of categorizing and systematizing stuff. If she isn't doing animals, what is she obsessively sorting?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Blocks go in the box, then on the floor, then back in the box. She likes socks a lot, also hiding the tv remote in random places if we forget and leave it somewhere she can find it. Don't get me wrong, she's got tons of books that she loves and have chickens. It was just that when confronted with actual, live chickens she seemed rather disinterested.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We went to a local event this weekend, we live in a small rural county and we have a lot of new immigrants here, so the local community groups arrange a kind of cultural exchange / childrens party. They had people reading stories on stage combined with theater and music and such. You know most kids sat more or less nicely and watched the shows, on the floor or with their parents.

Our kids though refused to sit still and David tried climbing up on the stage like 15-20 times, we both had to get him down many times in front of everyone, a couple of times an old lady got him and we figured he'd be more scared then with a stranger but nope, he thought it was all fun and games to goad us into retrieving him in front of a hundred people or more. Eventually he sat fire to some maple leaves that were thrown around as decoration, but tossing them onto some candles.

We figured we've had enough by then and went home. My SO was very disappointed, she had imagined a fun outing followed by us going home and making pancakes, not this trial by fire. There were no pancakes afterwards.

It was actually mostly David, Daniel was much more well behaved, only like three times did he try to get up, he was more content playing with a balloon just under the stage, but not actually climbing up.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

We figured we've had enough by then and went home. My SO was very disappointed, she had imagined a fun outing followed by us going home and making pancakes, not this trial by fire. There were no pancakes afterwards.

I have 4 kids, ages 6, 4, 3 and 9-months. For everyone except the baby, when they are somewhere one on one with a parent they are great! Paired up they are tolerable at best. All three? Forget about it.

I used to have visions of events that, frankly, were impossible in reality. Family events, especially dinners at someone else's home, have to be handled by one parent with the older two while the other parent distracts the other two somewhere else. All major holidays are done in our home, so we can put the kids in their rooms when they are misbehaving (or to get a break from them). We learned these lessons the hard way when my overwhelmed in-laws started making snarky comments a few Thanksgivings ago.

It will get better. At least, that's what I tell myself to get through these ordeals. If I ever pass by a family overwhelmed by one or more energetic little goofballs, I give them an imaginary fistbump in solidarity. :):hf::)

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

My wife sometimes gets down about the fact that our eldest plays up and that she can’t manage to control her. She also thinks other mums are looking at her and judging her. I remind her that she’s trying to wrangle 3 Kids under 5. I don’t think people are judging you.

Also, update on sleep training. Second night on the trot of straight through. 7:30 - 8. I don’t want to jinx it but...

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Ashcans posted:

Last night my daughter came into the kitchen and said, in her sweetest voice, 'Don't worry Daddy, I haven't learned to kill!'

:stare:

Turns out that the Kratt's Creatures they were watching included a bit about how a mother Cheetah teaches her cubs to hunt for themselves and she was pretending to be a cub while her brother was the mother, but that was pretty unexpected.

Because of those drat Kratts my older one told her (kindergarten) teacher that she and three of her friends were standing at the edge of the playground "guarding against predators"

Sigh

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

KernelSlanders posted:

Well you have to do something with the time before they can manage 'Dilophosaurus' and 'Yangchuanosaurus'. Although it is probably related to how simple/easy the sounds for many animals are. Kids enjoy naming and sorting things pretty young, so it also speaks to that impulse. We used to name off the different types of vehicles on the way to preschool (like 'truck', 'bus', 'pickup', etc.)

Dinosaurs are another thing like that, though. If you made some sort of graph about the interest/knowledge level, it would probably have a huge spike around age 6 and then just taper off with a (comparatively) little bump for all the actual paleontologists. Identifying dinosaurs is probably one of the least useful things they can know, but we sure do love teaching them about it. :shrug:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

the_chavi posted:

Went from my 8 month old sleeping ten hours straight each night to waking up every two to three hours now that he's almost ten months old. I miss sleep.

That nine month regression can S my D. It was way worse than the 4 month one.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Dinosaurs are this weird mix that’s just catnip for young kids. It’s like mixing jumbo sized animals with monsters that really did exist but aren’t around at all anymore.

Kids can be terrified, fascinated, and driven to “collect them all” all at once.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Dinosaur talk. While coaching my 4 year-old son's football/soccer team, setting up a play drill with dinosaurs, some kid said "pterodactyl!" To which my son responded "A pterodactyl is NOT a dinosaur, it is a flying animal that lived at the same time as dinosaurs, but itself is not a dinosaur." Felt so :smugdog:

For content. I was at the community centre's kids play-gym time yesterday. They have an area with tricycles and push cars for the kids. My 2 year-old was playing with one when a tricycle with three girls crashed into her and hurt her foot. Accidents happen, I went over, she was crying her eyes out, the girls on the tricycle were still there, and while I was consoling my daughter and rubbing her foot, I noticed two parents taking photos of "the scene". What was that about?

Even more, I later I realized they were parents of the girls in the tricycle, who didn't say anything like "hey girls, you shouldn't be going so fast" or "hey, is your daughter OK?" Just took photos.

Edit: by "the scene", I mean the girls in the tricycle with me on the ground with my crying daughter in my arms in the background. Public place, photos etc etc, but I don't get the appeal of that photo other than "just in case we get sued"?

rgocs fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I would have flipped on them. Why the gently caress are you taking any photos on a playground ever, much less after your children caused an accident??