Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PhazonLink posted:

butter emails.

non regressive media :

*has a vid feed of donnie's empty stage while a regressive talking head talks about the Clinton body double and the cyberspace matrix hacking of her emails*

Maybe the situation would have been different had Clinton not been a black hole of charisma, who also obviously hated dealing with people.

Or are you seriously suggesting that most talking heads, reporters, journalists... were ideologically anti-Clinton? That would be an amazing feat of self-delusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Falstaff posted:

Outside the Russia can of worms, the fact that Trump received so much free (frequently negative) coverage was at least party Clinton's fault. And I'm not talking about the Pied Piper strategy here, I'm just referring to the way she distanced herself from her own campaign to such a degree.

For example, take the article posted a couple pages back about the relative scarcity of her press conferences. She only wanted to engage with the media in a very controlled environment, so of course they're going to talk more about the clown setting his own dick on fire every week than they are about the latest curated interview... in which she basically says nothing new compared to the last 299 interviews.

Thing is, she was supposed to be good at this.

This is the stupidest form of post hoc analysis I've seen. Like, you really think that media was giving all that time to Trump, the big orange clown the media frequently used the word 'unprecedented' with because she didn't do a press conference? As if the lack of press conference kept the media from talking about her at all.

The entire media cycle for that campaign was:
1. Trump says/does something loving stupid (from day one)
2. Media covers stupid thing Trump says/does
3. Trump says more stupid poo poo
4. Media realizes a pattern, tunes in to entire rallies waiting to see what he says next
5. Rinse/repeat

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 15, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
She not only didn't have pressers, she also didn't have the usual press detachment to follow her around. Her most numerous events by far were closed fundraisers. Her public rallies were small compared to Trump, etc. As NBC put it: "Certainly smaller than both Trump and Sanders’ rallies. Her biggest events get up to about 4,000. A typical event is closer to 1,000."

She lost the spectacle race, with very predictable results. Strangely enough crotchety old Sanders (and Obama in 2008) showed that you can get a strong showing from the public with a progressive message presented competently, so it is clearly not an inherent problem Hillary was powerless to address.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 15, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

She not only didn't have pressers, she also didn't have the usual press detachment to follow her around. Her most numerous events by far were closed fundraisers.

Yeah okay, cite your sources because the press pool followed her just like Trump.

There's a million things to critique Clinton on without making poo poo up

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Boon posted:

Yeah okay, cite your sources because the press pool followed her just like Trump.

There's a million things to critique Clinton on without making poo poo up

"Clinton has also not yet set up a “protective pool,” a crew of reporters who travel with her on her campaign plane, which is typical. The Clinton team cited the fact that Trump didn’t have one either as a reason for the lag, but then Trump announced a pool. (It isn’t going totally smoothly: The designated pool reporter on Wednesday didn’t have a passport handy for Trump’s trip to Mexico, due to a last-minute announcement, and the campaign wouldn’t provide transportation for a fill-in.) Kaine said Thursday that a pool is coming as soon as next week."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/whos-afraid-of-wolf-blitzer/498434/

From the same piece:

"As for the press conferences, let’s look at Clinton’s defenses. The first is that she talks to reporters all the time. Clinton does give interviews, though not as many as Trump; the Clinton campaign tallied 350 this year alone. But they tend to be carefully chosen sit-downs with a single journalist—Chuck Todd on Meet the Press, Andrea Mitchell; not with a journalist at all, as David Folkenflik noted; or extremely brief. Speaking to local media is a favorite strategy, turned into art by President Obama. It gives a politician valuable face time but guarantees a greater focus on topics of local interest, rather than the thorny, broader questions a national reporter might ask. (Of course, national reporters have been known to ask some boneheaded, baffling, or just boring questions when given their shot.)

The second is that she should get credit for town-hall meetings and for an appearance to the National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. She did take some questions from reporters there, but these settings are both somewhat more controlled than a press conference: It’s a formal setting, with rules of decorum and few chances for follow-ups and the like. One of the few reporters who did get a question in at the NABJ/NAHJ conference, The Washington Post’s Ed O’Keefe, took a moment to press her and was met with applause: “Thank you for being here. And I think on behalf of all of us, we encourage you to do this more often with reporters across the country. Especially those news organizations that travel the country with you everywhere you go.” The time for questions there was also reportedly halved."

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

It’s almost as if...her campaign messaging was...bland and not exciting?

No, it’s the children who are wrong.

It is a journalist's job to mindlessly regurgitate campaign messaging, which is why they wrote 7 times as much about Clinton's emails than Trump's treatment of women.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

JeffersonClay posted:

It is a journalist's job to mindlessly regurgitate campaign messaging, which is why they wrote 7 times as much about Clinton's emails than Trump's treatment of women.

It's a journalist's job to mindlessly regurgitate interesting campaign messaging—which Clinton never provided.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Boon posted:

This is the stupidest form of post hoc analysis I've seen. Like, you really think that media was giving all that time to Trump, the big orange clown the media frequently used the word 'unprecedented' with because she didn't do a press conference? As if the lack of press conference kept the media from talking about her at all.

4. Media realizes a pattern, tunes in to entire rallies waiting to see what he says next
5. Rinse/repeat

Right, and my point is that she didn't give the media many opportunities to find for an alternative to covering an orange cheetoh 24/7. The press conference is just an example of the type of thing I was talking about. I suspect Clinton wanted a very curated relationship with the media, which is why she went for interviews (which can be controlled) and not press conferences (which can't, at least not nearly to the same degree).

See also Steinrokkan's post above.

She seemed to be convinced it was okay to cede the media ground to Trump - because he'd just do himself damage the more people saw his embarrassing spectacle. To be fair, I thought the same thing at the time, but in retrospect it was a poor strategy.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

There really is no such thing as bad publicity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

WampaLord posted:

There really is no such thing as bad publicity.

And yet the vast majority of media commentators assumed Trump's taped admission to sexual assault would hurt not help him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is it Hillary's fault that when she was under the weather and passed out on 9/11 the media went loving wild about her health and questioning whether she was physically fit to hold office? Her polling numbers took a shark fall due to that whole mess. That was some bad loving publicity.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

"Clinton has also not yet set up a “protective pool,” a crew of reporters who travel with her on her campaign plane, which is typical. The Clinton team cited the fact that Trump didn’t have one either as a reason for the lag, but then Trump announced a pool. (It isn’t going totally smoothly: The designated pool reporter on Wednesday didn’t have a passport handy for Trump’s trip to Mexico, due to a last-minute announcement, and the campaign wouldn’t provide transportation for a fill-in.) Kaine said Thursday that a pool is coming as soon as next week."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/09/whos-afraid-of-wolf-blitzer/498434/

From the same piece:

"As for the press conferences, let’s look at Clinton’s defenses. The first is that she talks to reporters all the time. Clinton does give interviews, though not as many as Trump; the Clinton campaign tallied 350 this year alone. But they tend to be carefully chosen sit-downs with a single journalist—Chuck Todd on Meet the Press, Andrea Mitchell; not with a journalist at all, as David Folkenflik noted; or extremely brief. Speaking to local media is a favorite strategy, turned into art by President Obama. It gives a politician valuable face time but guarantees a greater focus on topics of local interest, rather than the thorny, broader questions a national reporter might ask. (Of course, national reporters have been known to ask some boneheaded, baffling, or just boring questions when given their shot.)

The second is that she should get credit for town-hall meetings and for an appearance to the National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists. She did take some questions from reporters there, but these settings are both somewhat more controlled than a press conference: It’s a formal setting, with rules of decorum and few chances for follow-ups and the like. One of the few reporters who did get a question in at the NABJ/NAHJ conference, The Washington Post’s Ed O’Keefe, took a moment to press her and was met with applause: “Thank you for being here. And I think on behalf of all of us, we encourage you to do this more often with reporters across the country. Especially those news organizations that travel the country with you everywhere you go.” The time for questions there was also reportedly halved."

Fair enough, sorry for doubting you.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it didn't help that hillary gave trump free publicity by having a vast majority of her ads covering him instead of discussing her and her policies. sounds like even the hillary campaign didn't want to talk about hillary

quote:

Evidence suggests that negativity in advertising can have a backlash effect on the sponsor (Pinkleton 1997) and that personally-focused, trait-based negative messages (especially those that are uncivil) tend to be seen as less fair, less informative and less important than more substantive, policy-based messaging (Fridkin and Geer 1994; Brooks and Geer 2007).

In stark contrast to any prior presidential cycle for which we have Kantar Media/CMAG data, the Clinton campaign overwhelmingly chose to focus on Trump’s personality and fitness for office (in a sense, doubling down on the news media’s focus), leaving very little room for discussion in advertising of the reasons why Clinton herself was the better choice.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/3/8/14848636/hillary-clinton-tv-ads

maybe people would've talked about hillary more if she wanted them to talk about her. seems like she wanted people talking about trump instead

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it Hillary's fault that when she was under the weather and passed out on 9/11 the media went loving wild about her health and questioning whether she was physically fit to hold office? Her polling numbers took a shark fall due to that whole mess. That was some bad loving publicity.

doesn't help her campaign tried to pretend she was perfectly fine and didn't pass out at first. they shot themselves in the foot like that a lot though

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Peter Daou arguing that it was a sweltering 70 degree day will never not be funny

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She was urged to drink more water regularly by her staffers and ignored them, so yea it was kind of her fault.

I highly doubt that particular event cost her the election, though. Very few voters care about health concerns, we have VPs after all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/919643034308042752

hillary clinton's obviously pretty upset that no-one wants to see her debate people to protect the ACA, or fight against republican tax plans

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Condiv posted:

hillary clinton's obviously pretty upset that no-one wants to see her debate people to protect the ACA, or fight against republican tax plans

I'm sure her Raytheon shares are doing just fine so I'm not sure what she's so upset over \/:shobon:\/

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Mister Facetious posted:

Got a citation for that? Preferably from the POTUS himself.

President-elect Donald J. Trump posted:

So, it began with phony exit polls. And I got a call from my daughter at about 5:00 and she was called by people in their business and her husband Jared, great guy he was called. And they called me and they said, I'm sorry, dad, it looks really bad. It looks really, really bad. I said what's the problem? Tell me. Now, I was doing -- it's very interesting. Because I really assumed I lost. I believe that these things are supposed to be correct. So I sort of thought I lost. And I was OK with it. I wouldn't say great. In fact I called my vice president and I said, it's not looking good, right, Mike? I said, not looking good. You were getting the same numbers that I was getting. Of course you know a lot of it is phony stuff too. Because they will say Donald Trump is a bad person, do you agree or not? So people would say, yes. No, but it's easier than they have yes in a big box like that than they have no, you can't find it. So, you know, a lot of it is phony deals going on. But, I will tell you. So I got the call. And they said looks bad. Looks really bad. And they want to be nice to me. This is -- they're talking this way because they wanted to be nice. They actually thought we might lose. Strongly. So I said don't worry about it don't worry about it. Whatever happens happens. Now, for the last month I didn't do interviews. All I did was these rallies. I did three a day. I did three a day.

[...]

And I said, I said to Mike and I said to everybody, we're going to win Michigan. I'll tell you. It hadn't been won in like 38 years, but we are going to win Michigan and we ended up winning Michigan. But anyway, so I got the bad news from my daughter. And I said, that's too bad. So I go and see my wife. I said baby, I tell you what. We're not going to win tonight because the polls have come out and, you know, I always used to believe in those exit polls. I don't believe in them anymore. And it's just looking bad, but you know what, I'm OK with it because of the fact that I couldn't have worked any harder. You can't do any worse that than. I mean, I just, couldn't -- and if I lose, I lose. And, you know, what, if I lose I lose and I'm going to have a nice easier life. We can all relax together, right? But so, you know, I felt, you know, you don't feel good if you didn't put out and you lose, but if you put out every single ounce of energy in your blood, you feel like OK. There's nothing more you can do. So, I told her, and she looked at me and she has seen these rallies and she said, you're not going to lose. I said, no, I'm telling you the polls are looking very big. She goes you're not going to lose. My wife. So then I figured hey, look, it's just a nice wife that's trying to be nice. And guess what, she's a great person. So what happened, Melania, right? We love Melania. From the escalator. They love Melania. She's great. She said you're not going to lose. OK. So now the polls just closed and they start announcing numbers. And I said, oh, it is going to be embarrassing. I am trying to figure out what am I going to do. And I had this ballroom that's not that big because I didn't know if we were going to win or lose.

Trump is probably a literal narcissist and I doubt he's truly capable of believing he can lose, but the Trump campaign internal polls were showing the same thing all the other polls were showing; a Clinton landslide.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Potato Salad posted:

Real talk though, are they white

Mostly, yes.

steinrokkan posted:

they are technically not elephants either

It's more that like his hands, it's smaller than most people appreciate.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Boon posted:

5. Rinse/repeat

You forgot lots of BUT WHAT ABOUT HER EMAILS?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

her using a private email server in violation of departmental policy was one of the stupidest things she's done wrt her presidential ambitions. and that's kinda sad considering honduras and a bunch of actually disgusting stuff is on that list. oh well, maybe next time she'll try to keep her nose clean for 8 years

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I'm glad we're at the bernouts defending the media's coverage of her emails portion of this conversation.

Condiv posted:

it didn't help that hillary gave trump free publicity by having a vast majority of her ads covering him instead of discussing her and her policies. sounds like even the hillary campaign didn't want to talk about hillary

So really, when you think about it, all the stories about her emails were an advantage :downs:

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm glad we're at the bernouts defending the media's coverage of her emails portion of this conversation.

Let's put it another way: if Hillary Clinton hadn't been too lazy to have Huma carry TWO blackberries instead of one, she'd be president now.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Isn't there an entire other thread for tediously rehashing the election of 2016?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What's sad is both candidates for 2016 keep trying to rehash it for different reasons regardless of this thread.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

withak posted:

Isn't there an entire other thread for tediously rehashing the election of 2016?

it doesn't help that hillary is literally still trying to rehash the election to this day...

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Trump is probably a literal narcissist and I doubt he's truly capable of believing he can lose, but the Trump campaign internal polls were showing the same thing all the other polls were showing; a Clinton landslide.

spoiler alert: they are both rich out of touch criminals who have zero qualifications to lead the country who in a desperate attempt to protect their rich friends wasted untold amounts of money attempting to lose an election by simply giving the other candidate more media coverage and it turns out the Democrats won (thank you centrist donors) which means the prize is we get a Republican president

but yes, the army of sycophant lanyards are incompetent and it's been painfully obvious for years. thats what happens when you build a career on being a yes man for senile war criminals

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Condiv posted:

it doesn't help that hillary is literally still trying to rehash the election to this day...

Well there's no other meaning to her life. She's a failed Sec. of State due to her leadership leading to loss of life in Benghazi, she's a failed Senator due to her vote for the Iraq war, her "husband" clearly has no respect for her and the public rejected her in what was supposed to be her manifest destiny.

Maybe Chelsea loves her mom. But I wouldn't count that as a given.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

spoiler alert: they are both rich out of touch criminals who have zero qualifications to lead the country who in a desperate attempt to protect their rich friends wasted untold amounts of money attempting to lose an election by simply giving the other candidate more media coverage and it turns out the Democrats won (thank you centrist donors) which means the prize is we get a Republican president

but yes, the army of sycophant lanyards are incompetent and it's been painfully obvious for years. thats what happens when you build a career on being a yes man for senile war criminals

This is a great post

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Condiv posted:

The Guliani Of Democrats

"Obviously I know what two plus two equals, after all, it equals the fact that I won by 4 million votes!"

E:

JeffersonClay posted:

So really, when you think about it, all the stories about her emails were an advantage :downs:

....that's literally what some people argue when discussing Trump, though? That even bad publicity helped him tremendously.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Mmmmm, no. It’s a candidate’s job to make an impression, to excite people.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Well, how about that.

I've never actually seen The Producers, but the trailer is basically how I imagine it going down.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Radish posted:

What's sad is both candidates for 2016 keep trying to rehash it for different reasons regardless of this thread.

How is Bernie doing this?

edit: I see that you may be talking about Trump, so nevermind.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
As people start to talk about campaigns and DAs not going after obvious criminals, I thought I'd share this piece that has gone fairly unnoticed:

https://www.thenation.com/article/how-americas-biggest-bank-paid-its-fine-for-the-2008-mortgage-crisis-with-phony-mortgages/

quote:

Here’s how the alleged scam worked. JPMorgan moved to forgive the mortgages of tens of thousands of homeowners; the feds, in turn, credited these canceled loans against the penalties due under the 2012 and 2013 settlements. But here’s the rub: In many instances, JPMorgan was forgiving loans it no longer owned.

The alleged fraud is described in internal JPMorgan documents, public records, testimony from homeowners and investors burned in the scam, and other evidence presented in a blockbuster lawsuit against JPMorgan, now being heard in US District Court in New York City.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Condiv posted:

WampaLord posted:

She was urged to drink more water regularly by her staffers and ignored them, so yea it was kind of her fault.

I highly doubt that particular event cost her the election, though. Very few voters care about health concerns, we have VPs after all.

The Kingfish posted:

It's a journalist's job to mindlessly regurgitate interesting campaign messaging—which Clinton never provided.

NewForumSoftware posted:

spoiler alert: they are both ricblahblah

Neurolimal posted:

The Guliani Of Demoblahblah

steinrokkan posted:

"Clinton has also blahbl;ahblah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdk4d74j3p8

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

NBC posted:

Raging wildfires forced an elderly couple to jump into a pool to escape the superheated air as their rented house burned — with the husband cradling his dying wife in his arms.

Armando Berriz, 76, and his wife of 55 years, Carmen, 75, were on vacation in wine country with their daughter, their son-in-law and a grandchild and had three beautiful days together before the fire moved closer last Monday. "That evening, we were playing games and we were by the pool about 10:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.," said the Berrizes' daughter, Monica Berriz Ocon. "We were in the jacuzzi enjoying the evening. There was no trace of smoke or any haze. We couldn't smell anything."

A few hours later, Ocon's husband woke her, saying he smelled smoke. They looked out the windows of their rented home and saw a slight glow over a nearby ridge. "As soon as I got back to the bedroom, there was fire [that] had started on my side of the house and, embers were flying crazy," she said.

Ocon went to alert her parents, but the fire was moving swiftly and unimpeded right for their house. "It literally happened within a minute's time. It was violent and very aggressive," she said. "I proceeded to wake up my daughter, told her to get up. She had only enough time to grab a towel to cover herself, and we all got in our cars."

The family broke up into three cars and tried to roll down the street to safety, but the elder Berrizes got separated when the caravan tried to turn around — the couple, now alone, ended up back at the house where the only safe place was the pool. "He said, 'We need to get to the pool.' He says God gave him that Idea," Ocon said. "He and my mom grabbed each other's arms, hands and they ran to the pool. It was the only thing that was not aflame — it was the only path he had, and he went there with my mom, and they jumped in."

Ocon estimated that the pair spent five to six hours keeping themselves submerged, coming up only for air.

"My mother fought hard," she said. "She did not have the stamina that my father had, and they were together the whole time. She slowly lost strength, and it was a blessing. She passed away in my father's arms peacefully. [...] We can draw conclusions as to how she passed," Ocon said. "It could've been the smoke inhalation or the cold of the pool, hypothermia. We don't really know just yet, but what we do know is that it was a peaceful passing."

Armando Berriz clung to the edge of the pool to keep them both afloat, causing second-degree burns. The couple, who were childhood sweethearts, immigrated to the United States from Cuba to build a life and a family together.

:(

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 16, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Yes, drowning, the most peaceful of passings.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Yes, drowning, the most peaceful of passings.

That doesn't seem to be how she died, friend.

I come from Napa. A lot of my friends there and in Sonoma have lost their homes.

Finding out how the Democrats will beat the party and president that want to implement policies that will make natural disasters like these more common is a pretty important topic to discuss.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 2016 primary was just the biggest manifestation of the struggle in American politics; that centrist liberals and establishment Democrats desperately don't want to move left and actually start dealing with people's mounting problems and issues because their donors don't want them to, no matter if it means they'll lose elections to near-incoherent proto-fascist demagogues because they have literally nothing left to campaign on themselves that anyone can bring themselves to give a flying gently caress about.

• Locked thread