Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Sportando/status/919479349086220288

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I have some thoughts about some of those players but

Who the gently caress named their kid Andrew Andrews

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Brolander posted:

But how could anyone be afraid of the muppet guy

No, no. John Henson. The skunk-haired host of Talk Soup. They probably thought he was going to be sarcastic to them; quite justified in calling the cops imo.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Waver list team could beat the Bulls in a 7 game series

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ChickenMedium posted:

No, no. John Henson. The skunk-haired host of Talk Soup. They probably thought he was going to be sarcastic to them; quite justified in calling the cops imo.

If someone is snarky in your jewelry store you have the right to defend yourself by force.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21021713/emeka-okafor-play-philadelphia-76ers-g-league-team-hopes-playing-nba-again

Emeka Okafor is playing for the sixers's d-league team. I don't know if it's a favor to Jahlil to get him to buy in and boost his trade value, or a sincere shot to see whether he can be someone's third center.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Yeah that is why the Lakers signed Travis Wear like 48 hours ago, favor to an agent and to get him on the Lakers Gatorade League squad.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Completely agree with you.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Brolander posted:

thats definitely what i said, and i definitely meant robbed any time in the distant past instead of recently which might put them on edge

What you said is right there in my post where I quoted you :confused:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Chicago is following what the New York did in applying a rand corp model to withdraw public services from poor areas and being shocked when they turned to ruin. https://citylimits.org/2010/06/04/reviews-a-city-on-fire/

NYC pulled a very fast one and avoids all sorts of scrutiny because they shoved the worst neighborhoods across the river into Jersey. If folks considered the west bank of the Hudson as still part of NYC (which it kinda is) it'd have the same reputation as your Detroits or Chicagos.

New Jersey is every kind of hell. It's extremely depressing.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Who has looked better in preseason than last year/what did they potentially change with their game? Harrison Barnes looks like he might be better at creating contact on drives. Dwight Powell may no longer be bad at shooting 3s. (I don't believe it.) Not much else really jumped out at me from Mavs that were on the team last year.

Steven Adams. He changed not having a million people in the paint because of spacing issues

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CRISPYBABY posted:

It's so weird thinking of Philly as a place where they might not start their rookies cause the rotation has filled up/they're looking to win now. Starting SG JJ Redick is gonna give me so many double takes.

Technically starting SF JJ Redick, assuming Bayless starts at SG.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

NotWearingPants posted:

Uh....did Covington die or something

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Dejan Bimble posted:

If someone is snarky in your jewelry store you have the right to defend yourself by force.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21021713/emeka-okafor-play-philadelphia-76ers-g-league-team-hopes-playing-nba-again

Emeka Okafor is playing for the sixers's d-league team. I don't know if it's a favor to Jahlil to get him to buy in and boost his trade value, or a sincere shot to see whether he can be someone's third center.

Emeka looks like he's in incredible shape. A team could probably give him 30 minutes the day they sign him and he'd barely break a sweat.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Tae posted:

Uh....did Covington die or something

PF now...

As I understand it, the starting lineup will probably be

PG: Simmons
SG: Bayless
SF: Redick
PF: Covington
C: Embiid

But on defense, Simmons will most likely play more of a PF role, rebounding and then leading the break. Covington will most likely defend the opposing team's best perimeter scorer.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
So the lineup will be Bayless/Reddick/Covington/Simmons/Embiid. Got it.

If 3 of the guys in the lineup are obviously playing "1 position up", then Simmons is actually a PF who is going to be initiating the offense most of the time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

NotWearingPants posted:

Last three preseason games have been traditional with Simmons at pf

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

32 crazy predictions: LeBron's future, a bunch of trades and more
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/21002422/zach-lowe-32-crazy-nba-predictions-2017-18

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Is there a YouTube or something that explains how the NBA works? I've decided to like

basketball but I'm a Euro and I don't know anything. I know Steph Curry is good

YouTube Lesson #3:

This is bad defense:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwfh_6TG0A

This is how you fail a dunk contest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hjg8IXSzWk

These are the 1996 Bulls. They are much better than the 2017 Knicks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6icwrLvZGhA

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

NotWearingPants posted:

PF now...

As I understand it, the starting lineup will probably be

PG: Simmons
SG: Bayless
SF: Redick
PF: Covington
C: Embiid

But on defense, Simmons will most likely play more of a PF role, rebounding and then leading the break. Covington will most likely defend the opposing team's best perimeter scorer.

I literally dont understand the point of calling simmons a PG in this situation. He is a PF. He will guard PFs, PFs or SFs will guard him. What is the point of pretending?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

drat i really miss that rasquid wallace avatar i dont have the image saved anywhere though

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

I literally dont understand the point of calling simmons a PG in this situation. He is a PF. He will guard PFs, PFs or SFs will guard him. What is the point of pretending?

He's been listed as F for the past three games also

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

rabidsquid posted:

drat i really miss that rasquid wallace avatar i dont have the image saved anywhere though

i never knew that was supposed to be rasheed wallace

e: Rockets cut Cameron Oliver and Danuel House today. end of an era etc

chunkles fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 16, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

He's been listed as F for the past three games also

It's really bizarre, this fascination with calling him a point guard. This never really happened with Lebron like this, did it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

chunkles posted:

i never knew that was supposed to be rasheed wallace

e: Rockets cut Cameron Oliver and Danuel House today. end of an era etc

it is rasheed wallace at the championship parade wearing a red wings jersey, with some cartoon squid from a japanese food packaging i found on google image search on his head

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's really bizarre, this fascination with calling him a point guard. This never really happened with Lebron like this, did it?

The unofficial understanding is that it's player agent driven

He actually was guarding 1s in the preseason but mostly it was 3s and 4s.

His offense game is definitely ball handler

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

rabidsquid posted:

http://www.muddledmuse.com/saars/?goon=rabidsquid

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

So I recently read Jalen Rose's book "Got to give the people what they want" and read all about his falling out with Chris Webber. As someone who never knew about the fab five etc. until recently this was pretty shocking. All I know of Chris Webber is he seems entertaining and cool on TV and he used to play for the Kings. After reading this though he definitely comes off as 'the bad guy' or at least someone who is never able to admit he made mistakes. I suppose it's impossible to know everything that goes on, maybe something else happened and he doesn't feel like he should be at fault for anything?

Anyway, is there another side to the story that I can read somewhere?

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

There is a 30 for 30 about the Fab Five that is kind of cool, though it doesn't specifically tell the other side of the story, in fact Webber is the only player not in the documentary. I think in general Chris Webber has pretty much refused to speak about the time out stuff or any of the payments he received so he comes across as the bad guy.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Paul Zuvella posted:

maybe this:

euphronius posted:

The unofficial understanding is that it's player agent driven

But it's not the same thing as LeBron at all. Simmons actually plays point guard on offense, regardless of how they list him.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NotWearingPants posted:

maybe this:

But it's not the same thing as LeBron at all. Simmons actually plays point guard on offense, regardless of how they list him.

What do you think a point guard does and what do you think LeBron does?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I kinda like this...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

What do you think a point guard does and what do you think LeBron does?

LeBron has had his most success playing next to a guard who frequently initiates the offense himself. LeBron plays point a lot, but he also shares that responsibility more than the typical point guard does.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Kibner posted:

I kinda like this...

Yesssss

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Paul Zuvella posted:

Him and his agent and team think it's better marketing if he's called the point guard. He's the one who has been saying it and demanding it from the start and it doesn't really matter at all what he's called since it doesn't change how he plays so I think the team was kinda going with it.

It's funny seeing other people insist he's the PG though like on r/sixers but what Lockback said before was dead on and what I've been saying about it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Paul Zuvella posted:

Paul Zuvella posted:

We've seen this very recently with center Tim Duncan and being called a power forward.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaSuERQAWDT/

I love Jaylen Brown, wow. need this guy to succeed

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I think Jordan Clarkson may have depressed his stock with his depressed stock photo

(ESPN site)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's weird because really he should be the odd man out on the Lakers now after a season proving he can't play in the system the Lakers are trying to run but now the entire Lakers can't run any system at all so someone is going to have to score and it'll probably be him.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Oh my God, it just hit me- in two days, I'm going to get home from work and watch NBA basketball for 4-5 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I'm going to the Laker game on Thursday :peanut:

• Locked thread