Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I wish I could say I was joking, but this is literally what happened

nopantsjack posted:

Are any of you guys still living in the Philippines at this point? Because if so get out jesus christ

Not quite middle-class enough to afford emigration. If I stop posting one day, you'll know why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

nopantsjack posted:

Are any of you guys still living in the Philippines at this point? Because if so get out jesus christ

While it might look grim, reading Twitter and news stories doesn't always give you the real picture of what it is just being a normal person minding their business in a country. I know several filipinos who just go about their lives as if nothing happened since Duterte; I haven't heard them complain about a single thing. I'm betting it's precisely the same in the USA since Trump came to power; it's 99.9% news media mud-slinging bullshit that has no impact on peoples' everyday lives, unless they read said stupid media stories and let them anger them. The people most annoyed are people who for some reason can't help following the worthless news.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

Pilsner posted:

While it might look grim, reading Twitter and news stories doesn't always give you the real picture of what it is just being a normal person minding their business in a country. I know several filipinos who just go about their lives as if nothing happened since Duterte; I haven't heard them complain about a single thing. I'm betting it's precisely the same in the USA since Trump came to power; it's 99.9% news media mud-slinging bullshit that has no impact on peoples' everyday lives, unless they read said stupid media stories and let them anger them. The people most annoyed are people who for some reason can't help following the worthless news.

Yeah that's true, people of a privileged class often don't have to worry about whatever terrible human rights violations are happening in their country, good job.

Spoiler: You are human garbage for not giving a drat about what's happing and for not having empathy for other human beings.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pilsner posted:

The people most annoyed in the US are the people who may unexpectedly have their citizenship revoked or have their family or friends suddenly arrested by ICE or even just be denied the ability to afford treatment for their healthcare. You know, people following worthless news.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Coxswain Balls posted:

My cousin is going back to visit for a few weeks with their two year old to meet the family. I think they're going straight to the provinces; is it really bad up there as well?

Luzon and Visayas are pretty okay, but there's going to be tight security (theater) and checkpoints in Mindanao owing to the Martial Law. Take your regular tourist precautions and you'll be fine (insofar as anything worse that happens isn't something that you can actively plan for).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pilsner posted:

I'm betting it's precisely the same in the USA since Trump came to power; it's 99.9% news media mud-slinging bullshit that has no impact on peoples' everyday lives, unless they read said stupid media stories and let them anger them.

Yeah, not a lot of general focus on the "bad," outside of, you know, millions worried about losing healthcare, the looming possibility of another, maybe nuclear, war, tons of people concerned about immigration statuses and DACA, consistent mass shootings that seem to outdo the last, the rise of neo-Nazism... Things like that. Other than that, MSM bullshit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Palace downplays ‘revocation’ of Philippine membership in UNHRC

October 10, 2017 - 12:00am

quote:

Malacañang yesterday downplayed claims that the Philippines’ membership in the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) may be revoked because of the alleged extrajudicial killings committed under the Duterte administration.

New York-based watchdog Human Rights Watch (HRW) warned over the weekend that the Philippines may be removed from the UNHRC because of its supposed failure to meet its obligations.

HRW Geneva advocacy director John Fisher claimed the Philippine government is not upholding the highest standards of human rights because of the spate of killings tied to the war on illegal drugs.

HRW also noted that the Duterte administration dismissed 154 of the UNHRC’s 257 recommendations to improve the human rights situation in the Philippines.

“What is clear is that the government is seeking to evade its international responsibilities. Its responses to the Universal Periodic Review or UPR process show that it won’t accept the extent or scope of the problem, let alone put processes in place and identify those who are responsible, or to bring these violations of human rights to an end,” Fisher said. 
“This is all in the context of a President openly bragging about killing people, about encouraging others to kill people, saying there will be no accountability for the deaths. It seems the President is encouraging a climate of impunity and impunity does not sit with the Philippine obligations as a member of the UNHRC,” he added.

But presidential spokesman Ernesto Abella shrugged off HRW’s warning and maintained that the operations against narcotics are in line with international norms.

“The Philippine government’s campaign to rid the country of criminality, lawlessness and corruption, which includes the campaign against illegal drugs, is in accordance with the Constitution… as well as the international norms and human rights treaties to which the Philippines is a party,” Abella said in a press briefing.

“While there are those who call themselves watchdogs and tend to foretell gloomy and depressing scenarios, the truth is, states and governments that have strong trade relations with our country know better than that, than these gloomy pictures,” he added.

Abella said the Philippines’ trading partners continue to respect the country and support its efforts to deal with domestic challenges without undue interference.

“They continue to have relationships with us and we’re on solid ground, solid economic ground. There’s no need to fear about any changes in relationships,” he added.

‘Stop killings’

A mission of international parliamentarians and civil society leaders urged the Duterte government to stop what it says is the extremely alarming number of killings and the administration’s aggressive efforts to silence Duterte’s critics.

European parliamentarians in the group warned the Philippines risks losing a preferential trade deal that allows 6,200 of its products to enter the European Union (EU) duty free if it fails to immediately stop the killings and political persecution of critics.

The General System of Preference (GSP+) deal is under review and an EU report is expected in January.

Duterte on threat of PH removal from UN: ‘Do it now’

04:49 PM October 12, 2017

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte on Thursday remained unfazed on the threat of international parliamentarians to remove the Philippines from the United Nations (UN) if the government fails to stop the extrajudicial killings.

“My God! Do it now, stupid. Do it now,” Duterte said in a speech during the inauguration of the newly-renovated press briefing room in Malacañang.

The President made the statement after international human rights groups called for the ouster of the Philippines from UN over the continued killings of drug suspects either in vigilante-style street executions or police operations related to Duterte’s war on drugs.

https://twitter.com/inquirerdotnet/status/918414558682689536
https://twitter.com/ANCALERTS/status/918394299309420544

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Time to pack it in and get out guys.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lmao the hits from this one press conference (to unveil a new press room, ffs) just keeps coming:

Duterte says he refused '$18-20 million' from UK

quote:

President Rodrigo Duterte said he has "refused" $18-20 million from the United Kingdom, as he lashed out again at European countries on Thursday, October 12.

In apparent reference to Finance Secretary Carlos "Sonny" Dominguez III, Duterte said, "The latest word from Sonny, [that thing from] Great Britain, ah, $18 million, 20? [I told] Sonny, [don't accept it]."

"[We can live without it]. Anyway, I control the foreign affairs of this government," he added.

Rappler is still trying to reach the British embassy for comment as of posting time.

Duterte made the statement at the relaunching of the Malacañang Press Briefing Room at the New Executive Building, where he again launched a scathing tirade against the European Union (EU).

He did not say why he refused the funds from the UK, and did not give any details on what it was meant for.

The Duterte administration earlier rejected 250 million euros or P13.85 billion in new EU grants due to the EU's alleged interference in local affairs. As with other international donors, the aid comes with conditions, among them, adherence to rule of law.

The EU said it will not "beg" the Philippines to accept European aid, as there "is no lack of other countries" to help if the Philippines rejects its offer.

If it weren't for the fact that we'd already rejected an earlier offer, I'd have thought he was pulling another tall tale out his rear end.

Also, guess who came over to visit:

Duterte meets with Steven Seagal in Malacañang

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A play in three acts:

Full story

Full story

Full story

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The jeepney industry is holding a transportation strike today (Oct 16) and tomorrow, protesting the Duterte administration's jeepney modernization program

If you don't know what jeepneys are, wikipedia has a pretty good overview, but a quick briefing is that they're derived from old US Army jeeps that have had their rear-ends extended to become public transportation capable of carrying 10-20 people. They fill a hole between buses (long-haul/main-road trips) and tricycles (one/two-person, short distance transportation). They've been a thing for about 70 years now, and the government wants to replace/modernize them all.

The plan is for the government to buy-out all of the existing jeepneys in the country, and have them all replaced with either electric jeepneys, or contemporarily-designed jeepneys that comply with Euro-4 emissions standards.

This is as opposed to current jeeps, which "only" comply with Euro-2 emissions standards, and that's if they're relatively new, which a lot of jeeps aren't. Most jeeps are 10 years old, or older.

All jeepney owners are going to get their old units bought out from them for 30k PHP / ~590 USD as a "salvage fee", and then they'll have to buy the newer jeeps, estimated to cost around 1.1 to 1.5 million PHP / ~21,500 USD.

Since most jeepney drivers are, to be blunt, poor, the new jeep purchases will be subsidized, with something like a 6% interest rate, and the talking point is that a driver would have to allot about 800 PHP / 15 USD per day to pay it off.

The immediate problem with this scheme is that, on average, a jeepney driver only makes about 600 PHP / 11 USD per day. So they're being asked to make payments on something that's already larger than what they make total.

Another measure included in the plan is to oblige all drivers to be the member of a cooperative or a consortium, in order to be granted a working franchise. That is to say, individual drivers can no longer apply for a franchise by themselves.

The issue with THAT measure, is that there's a 20-25 million PHP / 440k USD minimum capitalization amount for any jeepney-operating group, which pretty much means the industry will be forced to concentrate into corporate bodies, since even driver co-ops can't manage that kind of capital.

These big private transport companies tend to be bad news for drivers because they use a "boundary system" - the first 500 to 1000 PHP goes straight to the company, and the driver only gets to keep what's made over and above that. Both the bus and taxi industries already do this

So the jeepney unions are striking today and tomorrow (and they've already held strikes about this I think 3 or 4 times before earlier this year) to protest the implementation of the plan because it's a financial burden that individual drivers will not be able to meet, it's a gigantic handout to large private operators, it's going to eliminate the "individual driver" as a unit, and the concentration of the industry to private operators will result in drivers being forced to work for employers that engage in predatory labor practices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You'd think Duterte would just be too drat dumb to pull this plan out of his rear end but then again he like every other dimestore tyrant in history is presumably advised by people who are using him to make themselves a whole lot of money.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In other news, the two leaders of the Maute uprising in Marawi were reportedly killed this morning in a firefight with the military.

We can expect a MISSION ACCOMPLISHED speech sometime this week, if not later today. I'm hoping that this also means Duterte finally lifts the Martial Law order over Mindanao, but I know he could just as easily turn around and keep it going under the guise of "continued peacekeeping operations" or whatever.

FAUXTON posted:

You'd think Duterte would just be too drat dumb to pull this plan out of his rear end but then again he like every other dimestore tyrant in history is presumably advised by people who are using him to make themselves a whole lot of money.

It's kind of sad really, because the jeepney industry is such an ingrained part of the Philippine public transportation system that only an authoritarian iron fist like Duterte's could force-through the kind of one-shot, top-down reform that it needs.

A more liberal administration like Aquino's wouldn't be able to pull this off, what with lobbyists holding up the process and technocrats squabbling over implementation details.

So then Duterte is trying to do it ... but it's some free-market bullshit anyway instead of nationalizing the entire industry or even just buying out and replacing the jeepneys, period.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I can't imagine the jeepney thing goes anywhere, it really is central to a lot of commuting and dare I say it even national identity. When I lived there and wanted to head to SM in QC I'd just jump on one and Bam 20 pesos later, the occasional car accident and fist fight later you're there. I'd also be sad to not see things like badly off model Goku, sonic, Jesus and various family members air brushed on a side panel any more.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Scaramouche posted:

I can't imagine the jeepney thing goes anywhere, it really is central to a lot of commuting and dare I say it even national identity. When I lived there and wanted to head to SM in QC I'd just jump on one and Bam 20 pesos later, the occasional car accident and fist fight later you're there. I'd also be sad to not see things like badly off model Goku, sonic, Jesus and various family members air brushed on a side panel any more.

My alma mater's neighborhood had a jeepney with the Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil cover spray-painted on it. It was pretty rad.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
topical:

https://twitter.com/mlq3/status/925197184353558533

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Trump coming to PH next week right in the middle of the Russian collusion scandal is gonna be good. There's gonna be an intense re-focus on PH by the international community.

To speculate on some of the talking points, both Trump and Duterte seem to have signaled they're gonna be best buddies. This will be to suggest the narrative that strained U.S. relations with PH was evil Obama's doing all along (and not Duterte being an utter buffoon).

Both of them have their distracting war on drugs; Trump's is just getting started, and somewhat amusingly in this situation against opioids like Fentanyl.

Both of them got into power thanks to massive social media manipulation aka bots. More investigation went into Trump's win; ongoing investigations that have of course unearthed that Russia was behind much of the manipulation. On Duterte's side he's admitted spending at least $200k on bots too. Over 20% Twitter mentions of Duterte are from bots and with free Facebook in PH (without free access to other sites), social media manipulation is extremely powerful here. Afaik, no concrete evidence shows foreign agents swung the election for Duterte, but it seems possible Russia or China were involved, considering for example Duterte's infamous and egregious u-turn on the South China Sea.

The American left and PH 'yellows' are presumably united in their revulsion of both Trump and Duterte. I'm not sure about the MAGA and DU30 teams - there may need to be some cognitive dissonance for some, trying to work out who they're meant to be rooting for here. Trump bad Duterte good? Duterte good Trump good? :/ Presumably the botnets will be fired up to remind people how to think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chird posted:

The American left and PH 'yellows' are presumably united in their revulsion of both Trump and Duterte.

I wanted to add some background to this.

There are two large and formally-defined opposition groups to Duterte: Movement Against Tyranny and "Tindig Pilipinas" (Stand Up, Philippines)

Movement Against Tyranny is largely composed of/supported by left groups - labor unions, workers groups, militant farmers, and the 7-member bloc of Congressional representatives under the Makabayan banner, loosely-but-deniably tied to the militant leftists of the CPP-NPA.

One thing I will note about this wing of the left is that:

* there is a stain of compromise and sell-out with the older members and leadership of the Makabayan bloc, such that they once campaigned with none other than Ferdinand Marcos Jr. himself during earlier elections.

* they compromised with Duterte during the campaign period, offering tacit approval of his candidacy in exchange for a promise of having leftists appointed to his cabinet. Those cabinet members were then later rejected by Congress's Commission on Appointments

* the Congressional members specifically did not break away from the Duterte-supporting majority bloc until early Sep this year.

All these taken together, along with your garden-variety redbaiting and hatred of socialism among the lay population, casts a discrediting pall over the group.

Tindig Pilipinas, on the other hand, is the rough equivalent to the #resistance and the Democrats, with all the timid rhetoric and performative opposition that that implies. They're liberals, including sitting Congressional members of the LP as well as persons from the previous administration such as Benigno Aquino himself.

Duterte, of course, loves to weave a narrative that both these groups are in-league with each other, but then also especially loves to remind us that should the leftists cross-over into violence, that he will declare martial law. Such statements also serve as cover for centrists and liberals to decry the left for instigating such things.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how many decades of infrastructural, economic and/or social buildup will be necessary for the Philippines to stop being a dictator-magnet.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how many decades of infrastructural, economic and/or social buildup will be necessary for the Philippines to stop being a dictator-magnet.

Didn't help the US as it turns out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lazada is like Alibaba (which itself is like Amazon for Asia). Or rather, was recently bought out by Alibaba, so it's pretty much one and the same thing.

https://twitter.com/jcmaningat/status/925198290823479296

quote:

Contractor nets P174,000 for a three-week production of 100 bags, while worker earns only P7,205. Worker has to work 14 hrs/ day

This means that a worker earns only P24 per hour for the exhausting home-based work -- of course without OT pay and addtl benefits

Working moms also had to pay the electricity and thread out of their pockets, deductible frm 16k for two workers for three weeks

Bags are sold on Lazada for around P2,000. [Which means only 4 bags are earned by the workers. The only 96 bags are pure capitalist profit]!!

It's clear from this case why capitalists are tapping home-based work: much cheaper labor cost, savings on electricity and materials etc.

On top of these, there is no existing employee-employer relationship. [No contract, either].

Take note: a worker should work 21 days straight, 14 hrs each day to finish the 100 pre-ordered bags on Lazada -- modern-day slavery

When asked how she feels about it, [Mother] Rosal said, "[The 24 pesos per hour, it's like nothing because I need that to feed my family]" :((

This case study illustrates why 1) more and more wealth are accumulated on the top 2) poor gets poorer. This leads to a situation where

...there is a growing pool of wage slaves who couldn't afford a growing collection of commodities = crisis of overproduction

While immense wealth sits on the head of a very few = crisis of overaccumulation.

Just to be clear: This is not just about Lazada. This is precisely how capitalism accumulates wealth. Problem is systemic. All brands guilty

This is precisely how capital, as DEAD labor, feeds on LIVING labor like a vampire to perpetuate itself. Creepy isn't it? #Halloween

Footnote:
Total sales = P200k for 100 bags for P2k each
Labor++* (payment to household) = P16k, for two workers, power bill, materials

From the P16k, workers will allot P1k for electricity bill, P500 for recouping machine investment, P95 for the thread; only P14,405 left

to be split into two home-based workers = P7,202.50; Materials supplied by cap = P10k. capitalist earnings before taxes = P174,000

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Was that in a PEZ? Ive heard similar horror stories about the Christmas light factories

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte threatens to slap UN rapporteur if she probes drug war

quote:

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte threatened to slap United Nations Special Rapporteur Agnes Callamard if she investigates him for the extrajudicial killings being linked to his war on drugs.

Speaking on Thursday, November 9, to overseas Filipino workers in Vietnam, Duterte railed, "That's why I said to Callamard, if you investigate me, I will slap you."

"I will slap her in front of you. Why? Because you are insulting me. Why? Because you yourself do not believe in the research of your own organization. You are loving me and I do not want it," said an irate Duterte.

The Philippine leader's new beef with the French UN official is that she supposedly brought in an expert who supposedly said on television that drugs are harmless.

Duterte did not name this "doctor" but identified them as "itim (black)".

"She brought along a [black], black - supposedly a doctor. He said on the TV, 'You know', he said 'use of drugs is harmless'. I said, 'son of a bitch'" said Duterte.

He was likely referring to American psychology professor Dr Carl Hart who had asserted in an event in Quezon City that there is no proof shabu or methamphetamine hydrochloride shrinks the human brain.

Callamard, who was present at the event, tweeted Hart's remarks.

What angered Duterte is that Callamard, supposedly believing shabu is harmless, goes against United Nations reports that detail the dangers of shabu.

He cited and read from a 2014 International Narcotics Control Board study.

The President said he doubts Callamard will investigate him fairly if she herself does not believe a UN report on the harmful effects of drugs.

"How can I get a fair hearing if you yourself do not even read the publication of your mother organization, the United Nations...Do not give me that poo poo," said Duterte.

Callamard first earned Duterte's ire by saying his drug war should be investigated due to reports of state-sanctioned killings of drug suspects.

Duterte has invited her to come to the Philippines to begin her probe, but on condition she debates with him in public and under oath.

Duterte claims he stabbed someone to death as a 16-year-old

quote:

To prove he's not scared of going to jail, President Rodrigo Duterte claimed on Thursday, November 9, that he stabbed someone to death at the age of 16.

"Jailtime? Sheesh. When I was a teenager I was in-and-out of jail. Brawls here, brawls [there] - at the age of 16, I already killed someone," Duterte told around a hundred Filipinos in Da Nang, Vietnam.

"A real person. Brawling. Stabbing. I was 16 years old at the time, and just because we looked at each other [the wrong way]," he added.

Past interviews with family members and family friends indicate that the teenage Duterte was indeed prone to picking fights and hanging out with a "tough" crowd.

Duterte, who is often more casual and prone to cracking jokes in front of a Filipino audience, said that if he can kill as a teenager, what more as a President?

"All the more now that I am the President. You gently caress with my countrymen, I won't let that slide. To hell with your human rights," he said with bravado.

The President was in the middle of defending his drug war to the overseas Filipino workers who may have heard of the intense criticism from civil society groups, the Church, opposition politicians, media, or their fellow Filipinos.

Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque has yet to respond to media queries seeking clarification on Duterte's claim – if it were made in jest or is a truthful account.

The President has previously made many claims of his own acts of violence.

One of these is that, as a San Beda law student, he shot a "bully" classmate and got sanctioned by school officials for it.

As mayor, he also joined in shoot-outs of police against criminals, usually hostage-takers. Duterte always emphasized that the deadly fight ensued after the criminals had been asked to surrender.

Apart from these, Duterte claims he has not personally killed anyone else.

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Morong/status/928587279156658177
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Morong/status/928587528021598208

Translation:

"These EU people, and Obama, you are so very black, and so arrogant. Son-of-a-bitch, don't reprimand me because I'm a President of a country."
[later]
"That's why now I'm really too popular"

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 9, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
HEY GUYS WHO'S EXCITED TO HEAR WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY??

https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/929217376020709376

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder how that went. Specifically if they got into a brawl.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Argue posted:

sandwiched in-between those two assholes, ol' malcom turnbull positively looks like a saint by comparison

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Argue posted:

Oh cool the Australian Prime Minister too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grouchio posted:

I wonder how that went. Specifically if they got into a brawl.

I've been waiting for this for a year.

Everybody always knew they would either love each other or hate each other.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

BBC - Duterte sings duet on Trump's request

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is the most bizarre thing I've seen in a long time. What the gently caress?!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:getin:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

I am fuckin' dying over here. I don't know why this is so macabre and funny to me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Finally the Trump administration gets a foreign policy triumph.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

He should've rapped the Judge Dredd theme in Tagalog.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/raisaserafica/status/929898127246508032
https://twitter.com/raisaserafica/status/929898963003510786
https://twitter.com/raisaserafica/status/929899231216668673
https://twitter.com/raisaserafica/status/929900260629012481

The rhetoric seeping into the captioning of these pictures is gross.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

So my Sauron's gaze of political interest has been drawn away to the U.S. of late.

Only now reading about the TRAIN tax bill.

It seems OK on the face of it, especially when compared to the republican party's poo poo sandwich.

I also see people saying it craps on the poor whereas I read it as swiping more from the middle class and taking less from lower income households.

It seems to be lowering a low of taxes and expecting the revenue to be made up from increased tax on gas/electricity/sugar/cars/plastic surgery. That seems hopeful; does this tax plan increase national debt or something?

Otherwise I'd be willing to say its a good tax plan.

This doesn't mean I will be immediately buying a huge DU30 bumper sticker.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

yeah this is strange, of course the police are outnumbered, its a protest

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

chird posted:

So my Sauron's gaze of political interest has been drawn away to the U.S. of late.

Only now reading about the TRAIN tax bill.

It seems OK on the face of it, especially when compared to the republican party's poo poo sandwich.

I also see people saying it craps on the poor whereas I read it as swiping more from the middle class and taking less from lower income households.

I have a number of problems with the tax bill: http://news.abs-cbn.com/business/12/19/17/duterte-signs-tax-reform-2018-budget-into-law

It creates this zero-tax bracket for people earning less than 250k PHP per year, but people who make minimum wage or less, or who are informal workers, already don't pay taxes anyway ...

... but then cost-of-living is going to go up with the new excise taxes on gasoline and diesel.

It's technically a tax increase at the very top, since the highest bracket is changing from 32% marginal beyond 500k of yearly income, to 35% marginal beyond 8 million of yearly income, with everyone else getting a tax cut ...

... but they also removed the progressive brackets on the estate tax and donor tax, and changed it from a top marginal rate of 20%, to a 6% flat rate. That's an enormous boon to the rich.

The excise tax on cars is also hosed as far as raising the price of most cars under 2.5 million, but decreasing them beyond that point. It's hardly coincidental that this is to benefit of folks who are going to buy SUVs.

It's not rape-and-pillage levels of extortion as with the 2017 GOP tax bill, but it's still a fairly conservative bill, and still amounts to a wealth transfer from the poor (via consumption taxes) to the rich. It's more akin to the Bush tax cuts.

chird
Sep 26, 2004

Hmm I can see how someone on minimum wage who currently pays no tax could be worse off due to increased tax on gas and coal (therefore electricity).

Napkin math shows me a full gas tank for a compact SUV will go up from 2200php to 2650php by 2020.

Due to coal tax rise, a 5000php electricity bill will likely rise to 5400php by 2020. Electricity is already hella expensive.

Agree the estate tax is a sneaky, but they've also increased the exemption from $1m to $10m which presumably helps middle class people.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The excise tax on cars is also hosed as far as raising the price of most cars under 2.5 million, but decreasing them beyond that point. It's hardly coincidental that this is to benefit of folks who are going to buy SUVs.

Top Gear doesn't show a drop in taxes (but I do recall seeing something about exemptions for pick-ups).

I'll put my giant DU30 foam finger on hold for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That Top Gear article is from Feb 2017. Look at this instead:

Comparing the grey/current SRP version to the blue/House version of the TRAIN bill does show an across-the-board increase in car prices, but that's because the House version is a lot closer to the proposals put forward by the Dept of Finance.

But the Senate version, in yellow, modified the measure substantially, to the point where cars below that red line that I drew see a reduction in their price, relative to what the excise taxes are like nowadays.

And the changes that the Senate did weren't reversed in conference, so that's what made it to the final version of the bill.