Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Toplowtech posted:

Because when we tried to get women votes in the last part of the 19th century, some idiots decided to set a few building on fire to be woke so the army killed 10s of thousands of people to regain control of Paris and save the bourgeoisie. Then we loving got the Jules because nothing beat have a clean slate like having the kind of moralistically superior left wing colonialist. Well at least they were anticlerical.

Who knew French history was so exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Also a guy named Villain killed Jaures.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

with a name like that he's just confirming expectations.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Good lord does JLM like to huff his own farts

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Melenchon never stayed up through the end of Indochine, did he?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
After the "martyr" murderer debacle, the dumb ruckus over the European flag, the valls flaming and now this, I don't know if it's a concerted effort to stay in the news but my do they look like idiots.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It might be to distract from stories about Alexis Corbière living in a HLM even though him and his wife earn about 14000€ a month. They started renting in 2003 and the flat only became a HLM in 2016 (and Corbière earned less before he entered parliament) but yeah.

Edit: One of Gérard's brightest done hosed up

quote:

The man, who works for the central territorial intelligence services (SCRT) had been keeping tabs on a suspected Islamist extremist.

He wanted to send a text containing important intelligence on his target to a colleague.

But the spy got all his phone numbers mixed up and accidentally sent it to the very suspect he had been closely monitoring.

:bravo:

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 14, 2017

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The DGSI was forced to end their investigation into the suspect.

:thumbsup:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Barbouze, ou plutôt bouse tout court.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Please tell me that the little poo poo is going to prison please

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...00852_3224.html

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Please tell me that the little poo poo is going to prison please

http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/artic...00852_3224.html

That would own really hard

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Good lord does JLM like to huff his own farts

But the thing is that the other side manages to be even worse. Case in point:

https://twitter.com/Europe1/status/919489031980929024

Mélenchon is the new Hitler, don't you know. Marine Le Pen? The actual fascist? Who's that?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
So Hitler...
But good?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I feel sad for France. The US is lead by an off-brand Berlusconi with half the charm and a quarter the competence, and both houses of its legislature is ruled by a party of people who despise him for the most part but are assholes in their own right, but at least some American politicians are able to spend a minute or two with their foot outside their mouth.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Melenchon is so Marxist he's horseshoed his way into Belle Epoque colonialism. If he somehow becomes President he'll invade Vietnam to make them more communist.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
That's because he's not anywhere near as far to the left as his right-wing critics pretend.

Edit: Not saying he shouldn't be criticized for this. It's just that right-wingers are even worse in all ways.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 16, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Melenchon is so Marxist he's horseshoed his way into Belle Epoque colonialism. If he somehow becomes President he'll invade Vietnam to make them more communist.

yet somehow still better than macron

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/RTSinfo/status/920664731245056000

Welcome to the new normal.

Bonus :lol:

https://twitter.com/stephdepierre/status/920649010427330560

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
How about a QPR?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Macron is not the only one with the power to call for constitutional review of this law. I'm 99% sure that the left-wing parties (in which I include the PS) can muster enough votes for a review.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Glorious France is making headlines internationally: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2017/10/23/does-happen-often-macrons-dog-interrupts-meeting-urinating-elysee-palace

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Good dog.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The constitutional court has decided that it was unconstitutional to have a tax on dividends. Shareholders' money is sacred, you don't touch it. Result: the state will need to refund 10 loving billions in total to corporations.

Make your bets right now on how many public services will be slashed to pay for that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
WTF?

Literally time to bring back the guillotine.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Valls is getting some shade from his own sister.

http://www.liberation.fr/direct/element/manuel-valls-se-fait-interpeller-sur-twitter-par-sa-sur-sur-le-sujet-de-la-catalogne_72658/

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Article 155 or article 49.3, which one gives Valls the biggest authoritarian hard-on?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cat Mattress posted:

The constitutional court has decided that it was unconstitutional to have a tax on dividends. Shareholders' money is sacred, you don't touch it. Result: the state will need to refund 10 loving billions in total to corporations.

Make your bets right now on how many public services will be slashed to pay for that.

It's unconstitutional to have a tax on dividends period, or it's unconstitutional to implement a tax on dividends in a specific and utterly stupid fashion?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blowfish posted:

It's unconstitutional to have a tax on dividends period, or it's unconstitutional to implement a tax on dividends in a specific and utterly stupid fashion?

https://www.lesechos.fr/idees-debats/cercle/cercle-175064-taxe-sur-les-dividendes-merci-pour-cette-ardoise-2123586.php

quote:

Or les services de Bercy ont été dans l'obligation d'acter, fin mai, que la justice européenne a décidé de censurer aussi l'essentiel de la taxe sur les 3 %. En effet, la Cour a rappelé le principe qui interdit la double imposition lorsque qu'une filiale alloue des dividendes à sa maison mère située dans un autre Etat de l'Union.

La taxe, tel un canard sans tête, a survécu quelques mois mais le Conseil constitutionnel vient de l'invalider début octobre pour cause de rupture du principe d'égalité devant l'impôt. Le gouvernement Philippe, lucidement lassé de ces déconvenues, a décidé de supprimer purement et simplement cette taxe sur les dividendes dès 2018 ce qui est, par ailleurs, conforme avec les engagements pris par le candidat Macron.

It's clearer there:

https://www.marianne.net/debattons/tribunes/suppression-de-la-taxe-sur-les-dividendes-une-incompetence-fiscale-10-milliards

quote:

Cette décision était anticipée dès lors que la Cour de justice de l’Union européenne, saisie par des entreprises françaises, avait retoquée la taxe sur les dividendes reçus d’une filiale établie dans l’Union européenne. Mais, les dividendes en provenance des filiales établies en France ou dans les États hors de l’Union européenne restaient toujours assujettis à cette taxe.

Dès lors, il était prévisible que le Conseil constitutionnel retoquerait définitivement la taxe de 3 % sur les dividendes au motif que cette différence de traitement était contraire à la Constitution puisque cette situation était contrevenait aux « principes d’égalité devant la loi et devant les charges publiques ».

Basically, EU laws created an imbalance by piercing a loophole in the text, which made the entire law discriminatory and therefore unconstitutional.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 24, 2017

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
So here's an idea of what reforming the wealth tax will lead to (spoilers: tax cuts for the rich):

https://twitter.com/Portes_Thomas/status/920916178104614912

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

I for one am surprised that our council of elderly rich men named by the majority (and VGE for some reason) would be so callous.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Nah, if the ECJ struck down part of the tax, then the Conseil Constitutionnel following suit is pretty logical.

(They’re still shits who struck down as anticonstitutional the 75% tax bracket tho so gently caress em)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Cat Mattress posted:

Money is free speech

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Nah, if the ECJ struck down part of the tax, then the Conseil Constitutionnel following suit is pretty logical.

(They’re still shits who struck down as anticonstitutional the 75% tax bracket tho so gently caress em)

What? Does your constitution cap taxes at 74.9%? Why?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Dommolus Magnus posted:

What? Does your constitution cap taxes at 74.9%? Why?

It is actually a pretty complicated matter. Had it actually been a new tax bracket on the income tax, that would have been fine. However, the government decided that since they wanted it to be only temporary, they'd create a new tax. But instead of using households as the basis for the calculation of income for that tax, they used individuals. This created a situation of inequality in households where one person earned over 1 million a year and the other didn't. "Rupture d'égalité" = Conseil Constitutionnel smackdown.

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

It is actually a pretty complicated matter. Had it actually been a new tax bracket on the income tax, that would have been fine. However, the government decided that since they wanted it to be only temporary, they'd create a new tax. But instead of using households as the basis for the calculation of income for that tax, they used individuals. This created a situation of inequality in households where one person earned over 1 million a year and the other didn't. "Rupture d'égalité" = Conseil Constitutionnel smackdown.

So, if I understood this correctly, they took offence to Household A with two people earning 999k each not being subject to th tax and Household B with one person earning 1000k and another person earning 0 being subject to the tax despite Household A clearly being the richer one?

This seems quite reasonable to me. Shouldn't the blame lie with lawmakers for making a badly thought out law?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
We're hosed.

quote:

Macron's latest move in his drive to change the image of France abroad saw him invite around 25 international financiers to dinner at the Elysée Palace on Wednesday.

The president reminded them of his efforts so far to open up France's labour market, which includes having pushed through a series of pro-business reforms, Reuters news agency reported.

And his guests were reportedly very impressed by what they heard, at least that's according to Macron's camp.

"The feedback we had was that investors were rather blown away by the president's vision,' an advisor to Macron, who asked not to be named told Reuters.

"These are international investors who manage hundreds of billions, who travel around the world and are used to being cajoled. But we pulled off a beautiful event," the president's advisor said.

quote:

A spokeswoman for BlackRock, the world's largest asset manager confirmed that the president had helped to create a feelgood factor among guests.

“Yesterday’s session was beneficial to the investors present and reinforced the view that the opportunities in France are the strongest they have been in two decades,” she told Reuters.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Now listen here, a race to the bottom is always marginally sensible.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/925036058865209344

No comment.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

State of emergency woohoo! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad