Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I love GTAV but I have no idea why the online is such a huge hit. It’s funny that every time I’ve seen the game on sale it has shark cards bundled with it, because of course it does.

You have a lot of freedom to muck around online but anybody willing to pay an extra $50 has the freedom to buy a fighter jet and terrorize everyone on the ground too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I love GTAV but I have no idea why the online is such a huge hit. It’s funny that every time I’ve seen the game on sale it has shark cards bundled with it, because of course it does.

You have a lot of freedom to muck around online but anybody willing to pay an extra $50 has the freedom to buy a fighter jet and terrorize everyone on the ground too.
That's why it's so popular. It's a game where you can buy status and the admins or whatever Rockstar has will punish anyone who messes with your paid stuff.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

im pooping! posted:

red dead online literally all i did was play poker

:same:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I only ever really played GTA Online with people I knew and we always played in a private server instance. And we still spent any non heist time blowing each other's cars up, running each other over and (my personal favourite) driving a car off a cliff with a friend in the passenger seat and jumping out just before it went airborne. It's an excellent dicking about simulator but yeah, the public servers are just a perpetual death machine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hyrule Warriors Legends: Man, gently caress everyone involved in letting 'Don't get hit!' pass as a rule in Master Quest maps.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Wait until you get to the Twilight map. :shepicide:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

GTA Online doesn't get what makes GTA fun, which is being a human avatar of chaos and destruction and loving with any and all who cross your path, oh and the community is toxic

hmmmmm

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

That's why it's so popular. It's a game where you can buy status and the admins or whatever Rockstar has will punish anyone who messes with your paid stuff.

:capitalism:

That's also probably the best bit of satire in the GTA series and completely accidental.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Wait until you get to the Twilight map. :shepicide:

Ah, so Termina it is then. I was wondering which one I should start going to first.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Twilight came out third but it is, by far, the hardest of the four maps. Termina is no slouch either though. I gave up after a while because the damage requirements for the standard adventure levels was so unforgiving it got really frustrating.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

OutOfPrint posted:

:capitalism:

That's also probably the best bit of satire in the GTA series and completely accidental.
It's honestly beautiful how much GTA Online doesn't get its own game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Twilight came out third but it is, by far, the hardest of the four maps. Termina is no slouch either though. I gave up after a while because the damage requirements for the standard adventure levels was so unforgiving it got really frustrating.

I'm on the 3DS version where you have to beat the adventure map, then A-1 of Master Quest to unlock those maps. And you'll probably want to do the Greast Sea map before that because that's where the level 2 weapons are. So, here's hoping they've balanced it better on my version!

Anyway, it sucks that the cash limit is only 9,999,999 rupees.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing The Surge right now, and I like the game a bunch, but it has some serious level design issues. Biggest is the problem that it's a lot of modern ruined industrial areas, so a lot of stuff looks the same and it's easy to get lost. But in the second area, this is compounded because it's set indoors and everything is so dang dark. The first area is mostly outdoors so it's alright, but I just spent like five hours of gametime in a shadowy dark factory-type place and it's unpleasant.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Morpheus posted:

Playing The Surge right now, and I like the game a bunch, but it has some serious level design issues. Biggest is the problem that it's a lot of modern ruined industrial areas, so a lot of stuff looks the same and it's easy to get lost. But in the second area, this is compounded because it's set indoors and everything is so dang dark. The first area is mostly outdoors so it's alright, but I just spent like five hours of gametime in a shadowy dark factory-type place and it's unpleasant.

Pretty sure you can turn the lights on. I did the area backwards and found the generator

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

RareAcumen posted:

Hyrule Warriors Legends: Man, gently caress everyone involved in letting 'Don't get hit!' pass as a rule in Master Quest maps.

A "Don't get hit" requirement in a Warriors game????

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The allure of GTA Online for me was getting to make my own character (granted, Saints Row lets you do this, but The Boss has a certain personality all their own) and I basically wanted to do Rebecca Bunch gone rogue. Of course there aren't really opportunities for role-play or anything, it was just a fun little notion. There really isn't much of a sense of gaining power in GTA V proper, it's more of a story of people getting dragged back into bad criminal habits (apart from Trevor who never left) and dealing with their horrible families- so in theory it's a more straightforward "rise to the top" kind of experience.

Except not really. Heists, as mentioned, seem like a good idea, but if one person screws up you're all screwed, and no seriously why did they do it this way. The payoffs are big but it's just not worth it unless you have a tight group and voice chat and all that set up. With the PvP matches, there's usually no effort whatsoever to match player skill, so it's the lower ranked players being clowned on by the higher ranked ones. (And did I mention that some key stats like health are tied to rank? If you're under rank 100 you have less than max health and other players can kill you much more easily.) In the overworld I didn't mind getting occasionally blown up- part of the experience, you know- but of course people are assholes and will refuse to leave you alone, passive mode or no. They really didn't think of how to make open PvP work- death carries very little penalty, sure, but there's nothing to encourage you to spread your attention around, no "You killed this person 3 times in the last 3 minutes, they're not going to give you anything now".

Like these are the sort of complaints that one might answer "git gud", except this is GTA and the game's engine, controls, etc. have never really been designed for skill mastery. A popular Deathmatch thing is "parkour", where someone creates a big staircase of platforms and crates and pallettes, puts all the weapons up there, and the game is a scramble to the top- if you can't get to the top you get gunned down repeatedly by those who have for 20 minutes. Did I mention the game's "jump" and "climb" button are the same and that it's entirely contextual and inconsistent as hell?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Schubalts posted:

The "don't get hit" maps are gimmick maps where you fight very small numbers of enemies in controlled environments, they're not like normal levels, that would be ridiculous.

Normal levels have damage limits where you can only take a few hearts of damage or you don't get the top rank, which is also ridiculous since on the harder level sets that amounts to getting hit like... twice.

And you need those high ranks since a lot of the time, absolutely crucial unlocks are gated behind golds.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ilmucche posted:

Pretty sure you can turn the lights on. I did the area backwards and found the generator

Reading through a walkthrough for the first time you go through the area, I don't think this is the case. But, it's fine - I got a new suit that puts out an aura of light around me for its suit lights, and that's vastly preferable to two small beams of light that move all over the place.

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Oct 16, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

That sounds like what Star Citizen would be if it ever released. I guess Rockstar really are the only ones who might come close to Chris Roberts.

Trying to decide what to play next. Part of me really wants to replay Assassin's Creed IV, but then I remember all the Assassin's Creed loving about in between the great pirate bits. I also want to give Mad Max another try now I've got a decent laptop, but then I remember the sandstorms. So I guess my thing dragging games down is not fun bullshit shoehorned into otherwise fun sandboxes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Schubalts posted:

I've found two maps in this place that have don't get hit as a requirement. One in a three-way intersection where you have to get a B-rank to unlock everything and the other is to unlock Link's level 3 Spinner weapon. Both are totally legit full on maps that they expect you to complete. One hit ruins your damage rank so you can't get hit at all if you want to get Link's weapon.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Did I mention the game's "jump" and "climb" button are the same and that it's entirely contextual and inconsistent as hell?

The on foot controls for GTAV are some of the worst I've seen in a AAA game. Your character is so sluggish and even basic moves like turning around require you to make this huge arc and feels incredibly unnatural.

For content, I've been playing Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404) which is a game centered around creating items and setting up supply lines. It generally works pretty well but in setting up a trade route you can only have a harbor do six actions. So if you want your cargo ship to drop off five items and pick up two from you're forced to add the port in twice. Normally this isn't a problem but as the game goes on the number of goods you need to transport rapidly expands and sometime you need to modify a trade route hours after you've made it. Adding the port in at this point just adds it to the back of the queue and there is no way to modify which order the ship follows.

It's such a small thing but it can have such a huge impact on your game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

That sounds like what Star Citizen would be if it ever released. I guess Rockstar really are the only ones who might come close to Chris Roberts.

Trying to decide what to play next. Part of me really wants to replay Assassin's Creed IV, but then I remember all the Assassin's Creed loving about in between the great pirate bits. I also want to give Mad Max another try now I've got a decent laptop, but then I remember the sandstorms. So I guess my thing dragging games down is not fun bullshit shoehorned into otherwise fun sandboxes.

If your computer can handle it the sandstorms in Mad Max are a highlight because they are spooky as hell and intense and you get the most loot making it through, which isn't too difficult if you stay in your car and keep moving and being able to corral the loot boxes in the middle of a deadly storm so you can get your 2000 scrap or whatever is satisfying.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Man this page is making me realize that warriors games sounds really unfun, I think I'll pass on both Hyrule warriors and fe warriors. They were both on my radar but uhh everything you guys said sounds like the antithesis of what a good game consists of

It's the worst of everything I seem to hate in gaming: shallow button mashy gameplay that emphasizes flashiness + repetitiveness and grinding embedded into the very core of game progress

You gonna see the same assets over and over and over again, which is only acceptable when the gameplay loop and mechanics are really good imo

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
For what it was, Hyrule Warriors was actually a ton of fun and most of the complaints arise from the DLC campaigns, which get incredibly difficult. They are absolutely targeted for experts.

The gameplay is repetitive and not very advanced but the main campaign and the original adventure map are very approachable and fair, and that's actually a ton of gameplay hours right there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Man this page is making me realize that warriors games sounds really unfun, I think I'll pass on both Hyrule warriors and fe warriors. They were both on my radar but uhh everything you guys said sounds like the antithesis of what a good game consists of

It's the worst of everything I seem to hate in gaming: shallow button mashy gameplay that emphasizes flashiness + repetitiveness and grinding embedded into the very core of game progress

You gonna see the same assets over and over and over again, which is only acceptable when the gameplay loop and mechanics are really good imo

As long as you don't do any of the Master Quest maps in Hyrule Warriors, you probably won't run into any issues like I'm having right now. I'm just into these games enough to actually want to get most people's strongest weapons and play fairy dress up on occasion too.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also HW revels in how inherently goofy it is

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I want to say that you'll be safe as long as you only play normal Dynasty Warriors games but I've only played Warriors Orochi 3 and 2 & 3 of the Gundam spin-off ones so I can't say I know for sure. Of those three, HW is the first one to implement rules on maps in my experience though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

The on foot controls for GTAV are some of the worst I've seen in a AAA game. Your character is so sluggish and even basic moves like turning around require you to make this huge arc and feels incredibly unnatural.

This is a big part of why I could never get in to GTA, the moment to moment gameplay of the ones I've played just felt kinda awful.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

moosecow333 posted:

The controls feel like the game is drunk. Not your character, the game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

RareAcumen posted:

As long as you don't do any of the Master Quest maps in Hyrule Warriors, you probably won't run into any issues like I'm having right now. I'm just into these games enough to actually want to get most people's strongest weapons and play fairy dress up on occasion too.

Well, maybe it's still worth looking into then. I gotta admit, the little I saw from the character select screen and adventure mode menu interfaces looked good and give the impression of a rich, substantial experience. That's what initially caught my attention.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Warriors games are fun and any weird turbo challenge mode stuff is often pretty easy to ignore.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

im pooping! posted:

If your computer can handle it the sandstorms in Mad Max are a highlight because they are spooky as hell and intense and you get the most loot making it through, which isn't too difficult if you stay in your car and keep moving and being able to corral the loot boxes in the middle of a deadly storm so you can get your 2000 scrap or whatever is satisfying.

As soon as you can upgrade your cars armor and grill to lvl 2 and get the repair speed upgrade, sandstorms are trivial to deal with and have the fastest way to get scrap in the game. By the end of the game you're desperately hoping for them, but they only happen once every several hours.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Yardbomb posted:

The Warriors games are fun and any weird turbo challenge mode stuff is often pretty easy to ignore.

In the case of Hyrule the challenge maps are about 80% of the content. Not necessarily because the campaign is short, there's just a fuckin ton of challenges.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
Shadows of War is an amazing game, it's like the Batman Arkham series had a baby with Assassin's Creed by way of Tolkien.

But what's dragging this game down is the controller flaws and the skill augmentations. The controller issue is due to one button being mapped to numerous commands, so branding an orc often turns into fall down a ledge into a pile of enemies. The augment system sucks because every skill has 3 augments, only one of which can be turned on at any time. So not even halfway through the game buying new augments is pointless, since you might have well purchased the one you liked the first time. Now I'm just buying new skills to dump them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The camera in Sonic Adventure (1999) is simply atrocious.

ATROCIOUS!

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Speaking of bad controls; GTAV had excellent fun motorbikes, how did Just Cause 3 which came out two years later mess up so badly? I don't think I've ever played a less-fun vehicle segment than trying to race a bike that's been filled with gyroscopes and lead weights against a tight clock.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I feel like everything in Just Cause 3 is just a little tiny bit worse than Just Cause 2 in subtle ways.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Speaking of Just Cause 3 & 2 & Mad Max and probably a lot more open world games, what drags them down for my is that you can only have car chases/battles with the player in 1st place. Even trying to brake to swing around behind them has them slow down to a crawl, and in some games jumping on to their so you can shoot does that same thing.It seems like the AI's only response to being in front of the player is to stop the car and go out to shoot and it really stops a lot of fun things from happening in the game.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Hel posted:

Speaking of Just Cause 3 & 2 & Mad Max and probably a lot more open world games, what drags them down for my is that you can only have car chases/battles with the player in 1st place. Even trying to brake to swing around behind them has them slow down to a crawl, and in some games jumping on to their so you can shoot does that same thing.It seems like the AI's only response to being in front of the player is to stop the car and go out to shoot and it really stops a lot of fun things from happening in the game.

Sleeping Dogs had good bits on cars and bikes, leaping to different vehicles while speeding through the streets etc.

Really wish there had been a sequel to that, or at least a remaster that finished and re-inserted all the obviously missing content that makes the game make no sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Kaincypher posted:

Shadows of War is an amazing game, it's like the Batman Arkham series had a baby with Assassin's Creed by way of Tolkien.

But what's dragging this game down is the controller flaws and the skill augmentations. The controller issue is due to one button being mapped to numerous commands, so branding an orc often turns into fall down a ledge into a pile of enemies. The augment system sucks because every skill has 3 augments, only one of which can be turned on at any time. So not even halfway through the game buying new augments is pointless, since you might have well purchased the one you liked the first time. Now I'm just buying new skills to dump them.

Not to mention they make certain skills mutually exclusive with really important ones. There's no reason to not be able to regain elfshot from drains and be able to brand orcs, especially considering most of the captains I'm meeting are only really vulnerable to arrows and explosions, and also come with a posse. The skill chart in SoW really loving blows.

Also, the Arkham combat system just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's not that it's bad per se, but fights with crowds of uruks feel very imprecise and I'm getting frustrated that trying to dodge an attack often auto-locks me into vaulting over some guy who breaks vault attempts. I think it would benefit from some kind of lock on system, but that runs the risk of making crowd fights impossible.