Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just bite the bullet and watch Slayers.

Maybe could've in high school. These days I'd rather listen to a D&D podcast. That Dan Harmon thing was fun on Seeso.

e: Though I swapped to watching Shannara Chronicles and it's pretty alright. I mean, not something I'll watch all of, but fun to put on a random episode. Way more fun than putting on one of the Dragonheart sequels was. And I hear that since this season they switched to Spike it's less soap-y. Gonna watch a couple suggested here, though.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

eating great ramen is like, a quarter of the reason i drive to Chicago every few months. ramen, nashville hot chicken, my friends, and better movie theater selection.

i miss chicago.

edit: the best ramen I've ever had was at Totto Ramen in New York City. i go there every time I'm in Manhattan now because i get a bowl of spicy ramen and I only go to New York when it's cold, so i leave and there's a warm feeling in my stomach as I go back to my hotel/apartment and i walk through the city warm and full and listening to music and it's the best feeling in the world.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 16, 2017

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

MGS4 owned but man those cut scenes are long. I cooked and ate my dinner during the mid credits scene.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

eating great ramen is like, a quarter of the reason i drive to Chicago every few months. ramen, nashville hot chicken, my friends, and better movie theater selection.

i miss chicago.

edit: the best ramen I've ever had was at Totto Ramen in New York City. i go there every time I'm in Manhattan now because i get a bowl of spicy ramen and I only go to New York when it's cold, so i leave and there's a warm feeling in my stomach as I go back to my hotel/apartment and i walk through the city warm and full and listening to music and it's the best feeling in the world.

I'm no expert, but Totto ranks about in the middle of my personal NYC list. My favorite is Ichiran these days. And hey, if you're a lonely weirdo you can go sit in their isolation booths to eat with minimal distraction, which are real 👌 for smoking weed then chilling in to read a book while you eat the best ramen of your life.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Do people still recommend the original Record of Lodoss War? I haven't seen it since junior high.

Happen to remember the name? Lots of places popped up around here the last couple years. They are not all made equal.

It took me way to long to find but I became determined to find it and it has the absurd name of Pho 2000 and it's actually in Dorchester rather than Boston proper

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also
https://twitter.com/wolfenstein/status/919684333207568385

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Do people still recommend the original Record of Lodoss War? I haven't seen it since junior high.

It's a bit dry.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

GonSmithe posted:

Vince Vaughn plays an amazing psycho.

I laughed.

I mean, I don't doubt you, but I laughed.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

GonSmithe posted:

Brawl in Cell Block 99 could use a trimming of about 30 minutes, but God drat is that a nasty, grimy hard hitting movie. Vince Vaughn plays an amazing psycho.

Yeah, it could do with being 15-30 minutes shorter, but I really liked the deliberate pacing so it'd have to just be trimming scenes.

Vaughn rules and Don Johnson continues to excel in these kinda roles (Django Unchained, Cold in July)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Krull was not a great movie but it was very D&D, including inter-dimensional and astral stuff that wasn't strictly medieval fantasy.

Krull is literally a fantasy ripoff of Star Wars, and it's great.

The Last Witch Hunter is passable. It's neat but dumb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

anyone still have that bad anime live action short entered in that film festival that was about a dude with a sword going around and the sound was complete poo poo?

It was super cringey, but i can't find it.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

DeimosRising posted:

Ever seen one of those places where they stretch the giant bundles of noodles and slap them against poo poo?

But yeah there's a great toothsome quality to the wider Chinese style noodles (obviously there are dozens of pretty distinct styles of noodle in china) that I love. One of my favorite variants combines a basic noodle soup with another simple Chinese dish, scrambled eggs with fried tomatoes.

I've never been to Guangxi but obviously you can get decent versions of those "dry" rice noodles they do in Beijing and Shanghai, too. Mifen is definitely a treasure but I guess it's not really soup

Yes!! Xi’an Famous Foods has amazing hand pulled and slapped noodles. I used to live across from one and got oh so fat eating noodles every day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I bought Road Redemption on Steam and it's a really fun Road Rash successor with much smoother mechanics that could use a couple more features. I go to check the reviews and it's all people complaining that it doesn't have "badass cutscenes and NOFX soundtrack" like Road Rash, or that the game is too easy from people who cleared it once (literally every unlockable character makes the game harder, to the point of near-impossibility).

Steam reviews, like democracy, simply don't work.

CelticPredator posted:

anyone still have that bad anime live action short entered in that film festival that was about a dude with a sword going around and the sound was complete poo poo?

That sounds like so many things.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

Might be Loot
https://youtu.be/EpY7FxErwRI

Which gained notoriety after the director went on a rant about how his film was overlooked because it didn't feature any social issues and this was a case of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD. He said the other films in the same festival got undue attention and praise just for dealing with such issues and rattled of a long list of visual, audio, and editing shortcomings with the other films. However literally everything he listed applied more to his film which is just a mess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Okay, you know how Jenny's thing is cute pig pictures, my thing is going to be cute cows.

https://twitter.com/hownottodraw/status/919332963082436608

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

"have a cow man!"
-Bartholomew J. Simpson

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Someone recommended Wind River to me, going to watch that if I have time.

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

I don't get why people are taking offense to anti nazi propaganda in a game about killing and driving Nazi's out of america

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Why does the one dude in Death Note have a Blade Runner gun? For that matter, why does anything in Death Note?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am pretty sure that The Last Witch Hunter was literally Vin Diesel handing his D&D campaign notes to a screenwriter and saying "Make this a movie"

Isn't Riddick literally one of Vin's tabletop characters?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Might be Loot

Which gained notoriety after the director went on a rant about how his film was overlooked because it didn't feature any social issues and this was a case of POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD. He said the other films in the same festival got undue attention and praise just for dealing with such issues and rattled of a long list of visual, audio, and editing shortcomings with the other films. However literally everything he listed applied more to his film which is just a mess.

He's definitely thinking of Loot, which extremely owns.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Why does the one dude in Death Note have a Blade Runner gun? For that matter, why does anything in Death Note?

Because Death Note, the anime, is ridiculously stupid, and the movie is a way better adaptation than nerds wanna admit.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think I’m gunna start ignoring all opinions posted on here that refer to other people as nerds

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

I think I’m gunna start ignoring all opinions posted on here that refer to other people as nerds

Okay nerd

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I’ve been bested

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I bought Road Redemption on Steam and it's a really fun Road Rash successor with much smoother mechanics that could use a couple more features. I go to check the reviews and it's all people complaining that it doesn't have "badass cutscenes and NOFX soundtrack" like Road Rash, or that the game is too easy from people who cleared it once (literally every unlockable character makes the game harder, to the point of near-impossibility).

Road Redemption has a special place in my heart for being one of the only games ever to shout at me that I'm a oval office.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Road Redemption has a special place in my heart for being one of the only games ever to shout at me that I'm a oval office.

Yeah, that took me a bit off-guard. But it's hard to top this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q46dDbUJZcc&t=77s

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes

FreudianSlippers posted:

Might be Loot

Yes! Thank you! This was such a saga. Haha.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Multilake posted:

I don't get why people are taking offense to anti nazi propaganda in a game about killing and driving Nazi's out of america

Because they're Nazis.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jenny Angel posted:

[slamming fists on table] When do they get to the loving mind hunter machine

spoiler: the Mind Hunter machine is a tape recorder.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I'm in court right now and there's a guy standing by the door in who reeks of weed that nobody else is acknowledging.

I think he's a figment of my subconscious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Coffee And Pie posted:

I'm in court right now and there's a guy standing by the door in who reeks of weed that nobody else is acknowledging.

I think he's a figment of my subconscious.

I can't wait for the 2020's where everyone is just gonna be stinking of weed and no one can do anything about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Weed is terrible because I never know if there's an actual skunk around or if it's just a youth smoking up.

I don't want to get skunked!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

Weed is terrible because I never know if there's an actual skunk around or if it's just a youth smoking up.

I don't want to get skunked!

It's probably an adult smoking up hth

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It's probably an adult smoking up hth

Not in this town.

It's usually an actual skunk anyway.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I can't wait for the 2020's where everyone is just gonna be stinking of weed and no one can do anything about it.

I'm in a state where it's decriminalized but still illegal which is what made it so vexing

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The Junglebook appeared on Netfilx and it's just so incredibly bland.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Not in this town.

It's usually an actual skunk anyway.

Maybe the skunks are getting high

TrixRabbi posted:

Because they're Nazis.

Yeah, no one acting offended isn't either a straight out Nazi or a troll or a Nazi that's trolling by pretending not to be a Nazi

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

FishBulb posted:

Okay, fine. Death Note (2017) is a good movie that's getting bad reviews because the proto-fascist types who identified heavily with the original can not deal with the cognitive dissonance of the new movie making them look like fools.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also the Death Note movie is good if only because the guy that plays L goes full anime.

The movie is a mess but from what I've read about the anime, I don't think it would be possible to make an adaptation of it that wasn't a complete mess

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Lmao plot twist the guy who smelled like weed was appearing with a kid charged with possession of marijuana. They got off, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

Lmao plot twist the guy who smelled like weed was appearing with a kid charged with possession of marijuana. They got off, don't worry.

Plot twist: The judge was the one who reeked of weed

• Locked thread