Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I'm like 135 years into a mp game right now, my friend found all his precursor stuff for one of them like 50 years ago then found the homeworld and he was directly adjacent to me
I found 1, got a event pop-up for a couple, but never got the anomaly for them. So I still have 1/6 :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
You can't do The End of the Cycle in multiplayer? Aw, come on, Wiz!!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So my commonwealth of man game with unity home planet game just met the United nations of earth and one of the diplomatic replies with xenophobe is "alien scum!" Like what the gently caress is that?
Convergent evolution. They may look like humans but they're just a phenotypically similar solution to a similar evolutionary problem. Think dolphins and fish. Don't be fooled by the surface similarities, they're filthy xenos as much as the weird mushroom people

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

You can't do The End of the Cycle in multiplayer? Aw, come on, Wiz!!

There's probably a mod for it and tbh I'm fine with the idea that everyone involved needs to agree with the possibility of 1 player loving over the entire galaxy.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Zephro posted:

Convergent evolution. They may look like humans but they're just a phenotypically similar solution to a similar evolutionary problem. Think dolphins and fish. Don't be fooled by the surface similarities, they're filthy xenos as much as the weird mushroom people

Or even, our current xenophobes have all sorts of nice language including 'alien' for people just on the other side of a little river. Why not have prejudice against other humans separated by the vastness of space?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Krinkle posted:

The last game I played the artisan troupe just wouldn't talk to me anymore. I would click "communicate" and it would close the menu. If I found their planet on the map and clicked the nation button nothing would happen. I assume it's a bug?

But yeah I would do this.

There's an event where they rip you off and refuse to talk to you anymore. Maybe you skipped through it by accident?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

SniperWoreConverse posted:

enemy empires shouldn't be able to find precursor systems without finding all the artifacts first

man if they get the artifacts like that then it's just proof that my science guys fuckin blow

do precursor chains exist in multiplayer? If someone completes one does everyone see where it is?
On that note, precursor home systems should not spawn "automatically survey this system" anomalies. Or, at least, if they do, said auto-survey should not delete the quest line completion trigger from reality.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ephemeron posted:

On that note, precursor home systems should not spawn "automatically survey this system" anomalies. Or, at least, if they do, said auto-survey should not delete the quest line completion trigger from reality.

They really need to change it so that the auto-survey events also discover anomalies.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mister Adequate posted:

There's an event where they rip you off and refuse to talk to you anymore. Maybe you skipped through it by accident?

You mean the event that lets you convert minerals into influence? That is a very good event.

Though the "Unsubscribe from newsletter" option makes me giggle every time I see it

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Mister Adequate posted:

Can you cleanse them with fire if they do that?

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Zephro posted:

Can you cleanse them with fire if they do that?

You can always cleanse them with fire.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

PittTheElder posted:

You mean the event that lets you convert minerals into influence? That is a very good event.

Though the "Unsubscribe from newsletter" option makes me giggle every time I see it

Nah it literally says like "They've stopped answering our hails" and don't even have the courtesy to say "New phone who dis" when you try to talk to them again.

Also, you can always cleanse them with fire.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Aethernet posted:

You can always cleanse them with fire.

And tbh, once you've picked up the Ministry of Culture from them you might as well kill them so that your rivals can't get extra happiness and unity from them.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

They asked me for money and I didn't have any so I said no but was that the event where I pissed them off forever? should I have let that message block 60% of my screen for a few years until I caught up and could say yes?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
This is weird. The expansion planner is listing a few planets that I've already colonized.

Krinkle posted:

They asked me for money and I didn't have any so I said no but was that the event where I pissed them off forever? should I have let that message block 60% of my screen for a few years until I caught up and could say yes?
Nah, that's not the one.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

precursor home systems shouldn't be placed inside enemy borders.
I'd say "Precursor home systems should always bud off player home systems" but I've still never successfully completed the precursor quest.

Even rushing as many science vessels as I could manage the AI's auto-explorers sweep up everything in a hurry, and it seems like all it takes is one "We thought this was a precursor thing but we were wrong :saddowns: " 5% failure event and you wind up unable to complete the chain.

binge crotching posted:

They really need to change it so that the auto-survey events also discover anomalies.
I'd be thrilled if the "buy system data" option revealed the anomalies in the revealed systems. It would make saving up to buy that data smart rather than crippling.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

binge crotching posted:

And tbh, once you've picked up the Ministry of Culture from them you might as well kill them so that your rivals can't get extra happiness and unity from them.

AI can't use enclaves at all.

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
Are there any good namelist mods to add some variety/depth? Hopefully ones that try to play it straight and not "lol mylittlepony names".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is there a way for the expansion planner to only show stuff in your borders?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bloodly posted:

AI can't use enclaves at all.

That's a surprise actually, I figured they would buy the buffs when they have lots of energy stored up.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there a way for the expansion planner to only show stuff in your borders?

Filtering by cost to colonize is the only idea i've got and it doesn't really work that well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Krinkle posted:

Filtering by cost to colonize is the only idea i've got and it doesn't really work that well.

It works fine. The cheapest stuff will always be in your borders.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

OldMold posted:

Are there any good namelist mods to add some variety/depth? Hopefully ones that try to play it straight and not "lol mylittlepony names".
Cybrxkhan's Assortment of Namelists for Stellaris is pretty good:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=682691478

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I feel like i'm going to get a repetitive stress injury from filling out habitats from habitat spam. I build the exact same poo poo on every habitat, a paradise dome, leisure district, and the rest is pure labs. Is there any way to better automate this? I know "B" is the build hotkey but it doesn't help at all when you still have to click which tile to build on and which improvement.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

One sneaky 1.8.x change I didn't see anyone comment on: you can now use the Cleanse wargoal on capital planets. This saves a lot of annoying micro, 10/10 patch.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any mods that expand the warship hull and subsection list?

I feel that 3 hulls with maybe 15 options between them is a little limiting. I'd love to be able to make a full carrier instead of a 2/3 carrier, for example, or a full pd destroyer/corvette to screen my cruisers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also for people who were complaining about liberate wargoal and the vassalization cool down: if you are nice to the newly liberated country and quickly from defense/migration treaty and just generally treat them right they will send you a request to be a protectorate the moment their liberate cools down. I've got big ring of buffer vassal buddies and they all contacted me to ask.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

McGiggins posted:

Are there any mods that expand the warship hull and subsection list?

I feel that 3 hulls with maybe 15 options between them is a little limiting. I'd love to be able to make a full carrier instead of a 2/3 carrier, for example, or a full pd destroyer/corvette to screen my cruisers.

Several, New Ship Classes being likely the most prolific but you will need to see what you like most.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I suspect this is a mod addition but eitherway.

No. NO. NO. NO-... Heeey wait 12 society research?

What could possibly go wrong?!

I dearly hope something goes very, very wrong.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Shbobdb posted:

Is it just me or is this game not "fun". I get that it takes a while for grand strategy games to come together but CK2 is way better. Especially on a laptop, since I can either use a "big font" mod to actually read the text on a small screen where it looks ugly as gently caress or just click through the little "slice of life" stories that exist.

If there were cool emergent stories, I wouldn't need to strain my eyes. But there don't seem to be right now.

I am the complete opposite. I tried CK2, I seriously did, but I just don't "get" it. It's not fun. I tried. I doubt any of the DLC will make it better, or even mods. I just don't understand the appeal of it. I honestly tried. Stellaris on the other hand I do find fun. I can do things easily. I understand most of the mechanics behind the game. It's a good old fashioned 4X space strategy game that takes place in real time over turn based.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Thyrork posted:

I suspect this is a mod addition but eitherway.

No. NO. NO. NO-... Heeey wait 12 society research?

What could possibly go wrong?!

I dearly hope something goes very, very wrong.

I think it's from Guilli's Planet Mods, because I got it for the first time after I installed that.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd be thrilled if the "buy system data" option revealed the anomalies in the revealed systems. It would make saving up to buy that data smart rather than crippling.

Alternatively, have buy system data reveal the system, but you can still survey it once for anomalies. Combine with a reduction in anomaly spawn chance in a given system for every explorer that checked it before you, and you preserve the advantage of more/faster explorers without star chart trading shooting you in the foot.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

CK2 is about people. It's an intensely personal game in that who you are, who your neighbors are, and what kind of personalities they have enormous effects on the game. Sure, you're gonna go to war to blob. But you have to make sure that your cousin who is your estranged uncle's favorite son will actually not stab you in the back the moment your leave for the Levant to murder the Muslims in yet another futile attempt to liberate Jerusalem, because of that one time you slapped him at the holiday feast for stabbing a servant. There's ALL sorts of things like that in CK2. A lot of playthroughs can be consumed with the mere act of ensuring domestic tranquility, and that's not just talking about the internal politics of a nation, it's literally about your one, squabbling household.

Stellaris is a game about civilizations. Entire peoples live or die from the intersection of forces so grand the typical mortal mind cannot comprehend them. You will literally move mountains and remake the Earth itself to ensure living space for your sophonts. You will harness the anonymous billions who live within your borders to work, migrate, fight and die to accomplish your goals. You are the director of a polity whose artifacts may endure for as long as the stars still shine. Your timescale is measured in centuries, for the entire galaxy needs to be explored, cataloged, settled, developed, and fought for.

They're nominally similar games, but they are vastly different in scope and scale, and it reflects in how they play. I don't think comparing them directly as an indicator of what one person will like is all that helpful. I like both as they are scratch very different itches for me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Is it just me or is this game not "fun". I get that it takes a while for grand strategy games to come together but CK2 is way better. Especially on a laptop, since I can either use a "big font" mod to actually read the text on a small screen where it looks ugly as gently caress or just click through the little "slice of life" stories that exist.

If there were cool emergent stories, I wouldn't need to strain my eyes. But there don't seem to be right now.

Stellaris is in an awkward place where it's not quite grand strategy but also not quite a conventional 4X.

The early game is easily the strongest part of the game, where you're exploring and every decision matters. Mid-game can be pretty entertaining but by late-game I find myself wanting to start over.

kw0134 posted:

Stellaris is a game about civilizations. Entire peoples live or die from the intersection of forces so grand the typical mortal mind cannot comprehend them. You will literally move mountains and remake the Earth itself to ensure living space for your sophonts. You will harness the anonymous billions who live within your borders to work, migrate, fight and die to accomplish your goals. You are the director of a polity whose artifacts may endure for as long as the stars still shine. Your timescale is measured in centuries, for the entire galaxy needs to be explored, cataloged, settled, developed, and fought for.

And yet then there's things like 'Science Man #2838 has substance abuse', 'Admiral Whoever has arrested development', and sectors in general (which feel like they should be much more fleshed out than what they are) that makes it feel like it should have more a focus on people and internal politics. Sometimes it feels like Stellaris wants to be a galactic civilisation sim but it doesn't get there. Not yet, anyway.

And as much as I'd like a Stellaris where waning and waxing was part of the gameplay, it's not really there at the moment. If you take big losses, there's no real way to recover -- neighbouring empires never break down or collapse or experience events you can take advantage of.

But if there's one thing Wiz and co. are doing is making Stellaris better with every update.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I've been getting lucky with neighboring Fanatic Purifiers losing half their territory to AI rebellions and then racing them to 100% warscore. I've also seen an empire with low habitibility tech conquering a neighbors planets then suffering mass depopulation as they drop below 20%, leaving a big chunk of galaxy to be snatched with outposts.

But yeah, for the most part the strong get stronger and don't suffer setbacks.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The thing with setbacks is wiz said that players loving hate it when that poo poo happens to them, and only likes it when it happens to the hapless enemy

The key would be making it fun or even possibly good to have parts of your empire slog off like necrotic diabetes legs

Wasn't there someone posting about how they like to build out and then make their own planets vassals? That's only feasible with the feudal system civic, right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No you can spin off vassals whenever, feudalism just makes them easier to control and lets them colonize on their own which honestly I would say is more of a downside than anything.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Milky Moor posted:

And as much as I'd like a Stellaris where waning and waxing was part of the gameplay, it's not really there at the moment. If you take big losses, there's no real way to recover -- neighbouring empires never break down or collapse or experience events you can take advantage of.

Yeah, it's weird that all of the lore in Stellaris has a common theme of "no matter how powerful you are, your empire will eventually fall and others will rise in its place" yet with current game mechanics there's no reason the precursors/fallen empires/other ancient stuff should ever have fallen. Bringing over the CK2 model of large empires essentially being a house of cards about to topple wouldn't work in Stellaris because the endgame crises require large stable empires to combat them.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out having a few large stable empires means you're either going to have decades of nothing happening on a long unfun slog of trying to conquer an empire spanning half the galaxy.

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 17, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The thing with setbacks is wiz said that players loving hate it when that poo poo happens to them, and only likes it when it happens to the hapless enemy

The key would be making it fun or even possibly good to have parts of your empire slog off like necrotic diabetes legs

Wasn't there someone posting about how they like to build out and then make their own planets vassals? That's only feasible with the feudal system civic, right?

It wasn't me but I love the Feudal System civic as having vassals makes later-game wars so much easier. Smash the enemy fleet and your vassals will win the war with warscore.

While there's no doubt this is true (that players hate bad things happening), one of my personal favorite Stellaris stories was when my Commonwealth of Man had to rebuild in a neutral area of space after a disastrous war, encountering the UN in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

Yeah, it's weird that all of the lore in Stellaris has a common theme of "no matter how powerful you are, your empire will eventually fall and others will rise in its place" yet with current game mechanics there's no reason the precursors/fallen empires/other ancient stuff should ever have fallen. Bringing over the CK2 model of large empires essentially being a house of cards about to topple wouldn't work in Stellaris because the endgame crises require large stable empires to combat them.

Unfortunately, as others have pointed out having a few large stable empires means you're either going to have decades of nothing happening on a long unfun slog of trying to conquer an empire spanning half the galaxy.

In my 300+ hours of Stellaris, my most recent game was the only one where I saw the large stable empires thing work out in a fun way. It ended up being this huge 6v6 war with a cataclysmic fleet battle between every single major power. It basically decided the future of the galaxy and it all came about because my empire (and its big vassals) got pulled into a war by defensive pact with a smaller empire.

But after that one of the Fallen Empires woke up and set about taking over everything and the crisis was still ages away and, well...

It wouldn't be so bad if I could put my empire on AI control and let it run itself for however long.

• Locked thread