Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Good. A big part of what works about Marvel is that they've made a lot of movies about Superheroes that aren't full on Superhero movies. Good to see other companies branching out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Man, and R rated Longshot movie that is billed as a fun and goofy action flick but is actually an existential horror film centered around Mojo would be amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Man, and R rated Longshot movie that is billed as a fun and goofy action flick but is actually an existential horror film centered around Mojo would be amazing.

Especially if Psylocke is in it and gets a very graphic eye replacement.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd love to see Mojo, but not with the current people in charge of X-men.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Timeless Appeal posted:

Rhyno posted:

Especially if Psylocke is in it and gets a very graphic eye replacement.

I too think that comic book movies thus far have been too fun and goofy and not grim and violent enough

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

The watchmen comic book isn't that good

While I'm doing hot takes; the Sandman comic wasn't very good either

Wicked Hate, is that you?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

twistedmentat posted:

I'd love to see Mojo, but not with the current people in charge of X-men.

BWA HA HA YOU ARE ALL TRAPPED IN MY MOJOVE... Oh hold on looks like Magneto's doing something. Yeah, yeah that seems more important. Okay sure, check in on me for the climax. No it's Fassbender, I totally get it. I work in media, you know.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Discussion reminds me of this article I read the other day (about how the success of Wonder Woman and the failure of The Mummy have potentially put Hollywood's obsession with cinematic universes on the backburner).

How do you split the difference between "shared universe" and "connected universe"?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 15, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

theironjef posted:

BWA HA HA YOU ARE ALL TRAPPED IN MY MOJOVE... Oh hold on looks like Magneto's doing something. Yeah, yeah that seems more important. Okay sure, check in on me for the climax. No it's Fassbender, I totally get it. I work in media, you know.

That's actually pretty in character for him

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Discussion reminds me of this article I read the other day (about how the success of Wonder Woman and the failure of The Mummy have potentially put Hollywood's obsession with cinematic universes on the backburner).

How do you split the difference between "shared universe" and "connected universe"?

Semantics, but I'd probably say that MCU and the Netflix series together comprise a "connected" universe in that characters have not (will not) crossed paths directly - Events that occurred in the MCU build the universe that the Netflix shows take place in, but there is not a direct connection between characters of the two worlds. Cap exists in the Daredevil world, but you'll never see him on that show in person. Maybe a picture or a poster.

Separately, the MCU movies are "shared", because characters from one franchise interact with each other all the drat time. Same with the Netflix shows.

This may be one of the stupider things I've allocated brain power towards.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wanna see this big Green dude everyone in New York is already talking about. At first I thought maybe they were talking about the Hulk, but if they were I'm sure they're just say "the Hulk"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wanna see this big Green dude everyone in New York is already talking about. At first I thought maybe they were talking about the Hulk, but if they were I'm sure they're just say "the Hulk"

It's Abomination and he didn't get a name, so nobody knows what to call him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

theironjef posted:

Yea, or he'd not be a green slug dude with a robot scorpion body, but just a regular evil businessman.

Because you can't have anything crazy in that movie about people with eye lasers and shapeshifting ladies.

I rewatched Logan the other day, and like, I like a lot of it, but I don't think it was as great as the initial reaction made it out to be. It's just them going from lovely thing to lovely thing. I'm also worried that despite being said to be the best thing in the movie, Laura is going to be completely forgotten in future X-men movies.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's going to be a while before Big Bertha is realized on the big screen and that makes me sad.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Audiences aren't really about shared universes, but they like seeing characters they enjoy in lots of movies. This is why Marvel is so successful. For the most part, they've managed to put the best versions of their characters on screen, and have been great in casting actors to portray them.

This is why DC is now pushing Wonder Woman a lot. Because they got her character right with an actress that just fit the part perfectly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
And someone else pointed it out last time it came up, but Marvel actually does a pretty good job letting the movies stand on their own, so while you get a little extra understanding from having seen the rest, everything you need to know in order to enjoy the movie is in that same movie.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thinking audiences really care about shared universes is how you get Iron Man 2, Age of Ultron and Guardians of the Galaxy having boring, momentum killing scenes that only exist to set up other movies.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I feel like the Mummy and Dracula Untold failing has less to do with them standing on their own and more to do with them just not being very good.

Well, I don't actually know, I never saw either one of them. But that's the thing as well, isn't it? They didn't even look interesting enough for people to go see them. I don't even think enough people knew that they were supposed to cross over with each other.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

BrianWilly posted:

I feel like the Mummy and Dracula Untold failing has less to do with them standing on their own and more to do with them just not being very good.

Well, I don't actually know, I never saw either one of them. But that's the thing as well, isn't it? They didn't even look interesting enough for people to go see them. I don't even think enough people knew that they were supposed to cross over with each other.

Dracula Untold, much like Green Lantern, was supposed to start it off but flopped so they booted it out. I thought The Mummy was ok, but only that. I think it was really held back by trying to be too much like Marvel, especially tone-wise because it was like they were terrified of having their action-horror movie be too dark, but also to their credit, while their SHIELD-alike is integral to the plot, they didn't try shoving too much Cinematic Universe stuff into the film and completely bloat it to death.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

twistedmentat posted:

I rewatched Logan the other day, and like, I like a lot of it, but I don't think it was as great as the initial reaction made it out to be. It's just them going from lovely thing to lovely thing.

I'm not sure what this means.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thinking audiences really care about shared universes is how you get Iron Man 2, Age of Ultron and Guardians of the Galaxy having boring, momentum killing scenes that only exist to set up other movies.

I get the first two, but what sequence was that in Guardians? Thanos and Nebula?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A lot of people got really upset that Thanos showed up in Guardians for some reason.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of people got really upset that Thanos showed up in Guardians for some reason.
I'm not upset he showed up, I'm upset he showed up and contributed nothing important to the plot while looking weak and ineffective. It's not far from what James Gunn himself said

James Gunn posted:

[T]he hardest thing to write [was] the Thanos scene. That was really difficult.

There’s pressure with Thanos because you’re setting up this gigantic character that, in one way, isn’t really a part of your movie. His presence doesn’t really serve being in Guardians, and having Thanos be in that scene was more helpful to the Marvel universe than it was to Guardians of the Galaxy. I always wanted to have Thanos in there, but from a structural standpoint, you don’t need him. So that’s part of it, and then part of it is the fact that you’re setting up this incredibly powerful character, but you don’t want to belittle the actual antagonist of the film, which is Ronan. You don’t want him to seem like a big wussy. So how do you make that work?

And that’s why Ronan kills The Other. I thought that was interesting, because we’ve had the Other, who’s obviously very powerful even in comparison to Loki, and then we see Ronan wipe his rear end with him.

Thanos' MCU appearances have revolved around henchmen betraying him, henchmen failing him, and a lot of sitting around on his arse. Infinity War might be able to turn that around and make him actually threatening but it shouldn't have to fix stuff other movies hosed up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

catlord posted:

Dracula Untold, much like Green Lantern, was supposed to start it off but flopped so they booted it out. I thought The Mummy was ok, but only that. I think it was really held back by trying to be too much like Marvel, especially tone-wise because it was like they were terrified of having their action-horror movie be too dark, but also to their credit, while their SHIELD-alike is integral to the plot, they didn't try shoving too much Cinematic Universe stuff into the film and completely bloat it to death.

I don't know. I didn't see The Mummy but my brother did and he said there's a whole bit in the middle where they stop the Mummy plot so Dr Jekyll can turn into Mr Hyde and chase Tom Cruise about his museum full of Easter eggs/monster memorabilia. :shrug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

I'm not sure what this means.

Basically when it was released everyone was LOGAN IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER! and on rewatching, I found it just okay. A big part of that is that the movie is fairly joyless, and every situation is just horrible for everyone involved.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't know. I didn't see The Mummy but my brother did and he said there's a whole bit in the middle where they stop the Mummy plot so Dr Jekyll can turn into Mr Hyde and chase Tom Cruise about his museum full of Easter eggs/monster memorabilia. :shrug:

That’s... not how it happens. I already forgot what the organization is called but Jekyll runs it. They research and look for monsters. At the beginning of the movie (before it) one of their researchers was looking into what ends up being the mummy but Tom Cruise steals the info and gets to it first (with the hope of finding treasure/relics and selling them).

Anyways, middle of the movie is Tom (who is at this point cursed) being taken to the HQ of the organization where he meets Jekyll. There’s a couple of “walking through halls and labs” that have Easter eggs and neat poo poo that’s never talked about. He has a disagreement with Jekyll about how to deal with the mummy (which makes sense given that the plan was to kill Tom to study the curse) and that’s when Hyde shows up. They fight in Jekyll’s office (which also acts as a cell for Hyde) so there’s never a chase.

The Mummy was a loving terrible movie but the cinematic universe aspect of it wasn’t the problem. The problem is them having Cruise’s character be the focus of the story and also the audience’s POV so he ends up getting exposition dumped on him literally every other scene to explain some aspect of either the Mummy or the organization.

It was a really jarring structure for a movie because it’s literally action scene - someone explains something to cruise - action scene - someone explains something to cruise - repeat 3 more times. It doesn’t help that every single one of those explanation dumps were accompanied by a flashback, Tom looking confused, or both.

Cruise should have been the character within the organization right from the start. Spend way less time explaining to him what’s what and focusing more on looking for, finding and dealing with the mummy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Thanos' MCU appearances have revolved around henchmen betraying him, henchmen failing him, and a lot of sitting around on his arse. Infinity War might be able to turn that around and make him actually threatening but it shouldn't have to fix stuff other movies hosed up.

Even throwing moons around he's not going to look threatening with his ridiculous Bruce Willis holding in a fart face.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Black Panther got a "faces" poster.

https://twitter.com/chadwickboseman/status/919911671514255360

Also a new trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

RevKrule fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Oct 16, 2017

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
god drat i am hyped for Black Panther.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

WHOOPS posted:

god drat i am hyped for Black Panther.

Yeah, this is pretty much me. I'm excited for Thor 3 and all the Kirby-ness it seems to be bringing but gently caress if I'm not like Black Panther can't come out soon enough.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Black Panther looks cool

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

So is the last scene of that trailer his new suit? The exposed eyes looks kinda... interesting. The purple is also very... purple.

Anyways still gonna see it, looks great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The dialogue in the trailer did not sound very good, but all of the visuals looked SUPER good. Very fluid. I'm excited.

twistedmentat posted:

Basically when it was released everyone was LOGAN IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER! and on rewatching, I found it just okay. A big part of that is that the movie is fairly joyless, and every situation is just horrible for everyone involved.

I don't think a movie being bleak should mean it's not good. The movie has moments of levity that work though. When you're writing a movie about Wolverine slowly dying, I think it's gonna be sad. Granted, I haven't watched Logan again in quite a while.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I too think that comic book movies thus far have been too fun and goofy and not grim and violent enough

Well the X-Men aren't exactly the former didn't like millions die in the last one

e: just saw that Lettrier (sp?) movie and lol they actually did call him in that in the cheesiest way possible

"He's.....an ABOMINATION"

And I'm like maybe calling him the gray guy would have been better

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Millions die in X-Men Apocalypse, but they treat it with all the impact of a wet noodle, and also Magneto gets off scott free.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

TFRazorsaw posted:

Millions die in X-Men Apocalypse, but they treat it with all the impact of a wet noodle, and also Magneto gets off scott free.
Same problem in Days of Future Past where he was about to murder Nixon

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FlamingLiberal posted:

Same problem in Days of Future Past where he was about to murder Nixon

Oh like you wouldn’t

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Finally watched Homecoming last night and it lived up to the hype 100%. Only thing I don’t remember seeing in the actual movie from the commercials was the shot of Spider-Man and Iron Man zooming through the city side by side. Was that in it and I just missed it?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

TFRazorsaw posted:

I noticed this when I eventually saw Apocalypse and it was honestly a bit glaring.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Finally watched Homecoming last night and it lived up to the hype 100%. Only thing I don’t remember seeing in the actual movie from the commercials was the shot of Spider-Man and Iron Man zooming through the city side by side. Was that in it and I just missed it?

No, that was made for the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The revolution will not be televised so i will pay extreme amounts of money to see it in IMAX and enjoy every second of it

• Locked thread