Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Star Man posted:

How do I monetize nerds' classist disdain for people that work outside and for areas with population densities that are less than three digits?

Convince coders and IT people that unions are beneath them. Then force them to work constant mandatory overtime in exchange for pool tables and arcade machines in a brightly colored office.

They'll even brag to their friends how much extra work they're doing for free, because they have an expensive STEM degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh! Oh! I know!

The best lube isn't some kind of water or silicone-based goo, it's Doritos dust. The dust works like ball bearings on your dick.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Star Man posted:

But what if I also want to kill them?

Do you seriously think techies will be able to work around heavy machinery without killing themselves?

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

fishmech posted:

It doesn't matter that the sensors are smaller on new cameras, just having a big sensor or high megapixel count is useless when the system can't make use of that.

If you're the kind of person who thinks the only thing that counts is big numbers then sure phone cameras have "stagnated". And if you only ever take pictures in brilliantly lit room on a perfect tripod, then modern photos won't look better. But modern cameras actually handle everything from low light to full dynamic range to shaky hands much better, and they produce much better pictures.

Remember, Nokia's whole "41 megapixels! 854 square mm sensor!" stuff was a gimmick from the dying days of Symbian recycled with a slightly larger sensor and slightly better camera software for a Windows Phone-based replacement.

I'll take that as an admittance of "No, I have no reviews/tests/facts that provide evidence to back up my opinion" so. Thanks.

Sensor size, and a xenon flash, are the most important hardware features for image quality. Both of which 2017 phones have yet to match versus the Lumia 1020, let alone surpass.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blut posted:

I'll take that as an admittance of "No, I have no reviews/tests/facts that provide evidence to back up my opinion" so. Thanks.

Sensor size, and a xenon flash, are the most important hardware features for image quality. Both of which 2017 phones have yet to match versus the Lumia 1020, let alone surpass.

More important than optics huh?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

exploded mummy posted:

nah, that's not really the problem. I've had to source ruggedized computers for work.

Military wants a long term supply of stuff, longer than any sort of commercial product lines tend to go for. So a lot of those vendors will design for not state of the art, but a bit below it assuming they can get their hands on a stable supply line. (I know of one vendor who likes to go for the embedded Intel CPUs as opposed to the prior tick/tock cycles since they run a longer production cycle)

actual ruggedization doesn't have poo poo to do with the features other than it gets to be a bitch around -30 F for LCDs as it can crack the display, but thats kind of it. most temperature stuff kind of is a non-factor, most electronic components are going to be rated in the 100F+ range and solder reflow is somewhere around 160F or 180F, and if the vendor isn't doing something stupid, they're probably also confomally coating the boards with paralyne or urethane to kill humidity and tin whisker issues

At least for space grade high-rel materials, the other reason you can't get top of the line is that you have to wait for new parts to be space qualified. Space industry is still generally using 10+ year old technology because it takes a long time and a lot of money to qualify parts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Blut posted:

No, once again that site is full of tests that back up the fact that phone cameras are much better now than the Nokia Lumia. Once again, the Lumia's large sensor actually rather sucked in getting good results, similarly its flash actually sucked in getting good results. Modern phones are getting much better results with different technology.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

I'm not even sure a modern cmos image sensor could work with a flash.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
this may be a winner in the reinvention stakes

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/919253029479628800

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love how we are living through a picture perfect example of why you need to tax the wealthy to reduce the enormous amounts of capital just sloshing around trying to find any way to expand itself, before the whole thing comes crashing down under its own weight

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Spazzle posted:

I'm not even sure a modern cmos image sensor could work with a flash.

They do, but they don't need to be quite as powerful. Because the sensors have gotten better.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

fishmech posted:

They do, but they don't need to be quite as powerful. Because the sensors have gotten better.

Cmos sensors don't read out the whole frame at once, so the flash needs to be uniformly bright during the whole frame time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jean-Louis Gassée has a few things to say about Tesla's manufacturing process.

quote:

As I watched Tesla’s messy, hiccuping line, with workers dashing in to fix faulty parts in place, my mind travelled back to the Honda plant I had visited years ago in Marysville, Ohio. Clean, calm, everything moved smoothly. I was so shocked by the contrast that I imprudently voiced my concern. That didn’t go over well with my fellow Tesla owners. I was a killjoy, I was calling their choice into question.

Your concept doesn't matter if your manufacturing isn't up to snuff. See the many Kickstarter failures between prototype and mass production.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

A Man With A Plan posted:

Sell "experience packages" to techies where they get to operate a jackhammer and skid loader

Someone (probably multiple someones) already does this for construction equipment, though I don't remember the name of the company. I want to say they were on Shark Tank at some point.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Star Man posted:

But what if I also want to kill them?
Add a log splitter, that will probably net a few.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Your concept doesn't matter if your manufacturing isn't up to snuff. See the many Kickstarter failures between prototype and mass production.

Well you see, they're just disrupting the old toyota way.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Wag, the ‘Uber for Dog-Walking’ Is Drawing Uber-Like Scrutiny

We're disrupting the way pets go missing!

quote:

Several investors were getting ready to ante up last month, according to three people familiar with the situation, when social media began to surface outrage about Buddy, a Beagle-Labrador mix who went missing while under the care of a Wag contractor. Buddy’s owner, a Long Island retired nurse named MaryEllen Humphrey, accused the company of misrepresenting its rescue efforts and trying to buy her silence with $2,500 and by offering to pay for a planned trip to Disney World when a local news station inquired about the missing pup.

Wag Labs Inc., the app’s parent company, did something unusual for a tech company: fired off a cease and desist letter to one of its own customers. “If your retraction and apology to Wag! are not publicly posted to each and every social media platform that you have used to libel Wag! within 24 hours of the time of this email, this office has been authorized to use all available means to bring as swift as possible an end to your lies,” company attorney Mark Warren Moody wrote.

:catstare:

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Star Man posted:

Oh! Oh! I know!

The best lube isn't some kind of water or silicone-based goo, it's Doritos dust. The dust works like ball bearings on your dick.

its like graphite dust on a pinewood derby car :hai:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Two borderline mutually-exclusive thoughts:
- Always had a vague, inexpert sense that the logistics and manufacturing for a new electric car company would be brutal, though they're not that new anymore I guess
- I know the federal subsidy phases out (or a timer to that effect starts ticking) past a certain number of units being sold, so wonder if production hell could have an upside, or even intentionally invoked as an excuse to keep that staved off for a bit

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wallet posted:

Someone (probably multiple someones) already does this for construction equipment, though I don't remember the name of the company. I want to say they were on Shark Tank at some point.

Pretty sure I've seen similar advertised on Vegas billboards, they're probably in other towns as well.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ruzihm posted:

its like graphite dust on a pinewood derby car :hai:

We're still in alpha testing with our product and need an additional five million dollars for more research and development.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Spazzle posted:

Cmos sensors don't read out the whole frame at once, so the flash needs to be uniformly bright during the whole frame time.

While technically true that readback isn't done all at once, exposure generally is so it isn't relevant. At very high shutter speeds some cameras will move both shutters at once to get faster speeds but that has nothing to do with a cmos sensor.

And regarding sensor size and megapixels: a large sensor with a small pixel count (large pixels) is a good thing: much better low light performance and sensitivity (more photons/pixel) and it takes a smaller aperture to become diffraction-limited.

Cell phone cameras are great and have come a long way. They've basically killed the lovely compact camera market for a good reason. They're also not a substitute for a real camera with nice optics and a very large sensor (say, m4/3 or bigger)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pangstrom posted:

- Always had a vague, inexpert sense that the logistics and manufacturing for a new electric car company would be brutal, though they're not that new anymore I guess
- I know the federal subsidy phases out (or a timer to that effect starts ticking) past a certain number of units being sold, so wonder if production hell could have an upside, or even intentionally invoked as an excuse to keep that staved off for a bit

The subsidies in question mostly are those where the limit is of all cars they produce, and the Model S and X thus count against that with their production of a couple dozen thousand cars a year. Intentionally slow walking the Model 3 production isn't really going to help them there, as unless they start slow walking the other cars' production they'll end up losing it by the end of next year at the latest.

There are a few other subsidies they're eligible for the big one is the per car subsidy to the consumer one. And that wears off once you sell 200,000 qualifying cars after you've become eligible to start having the credits applied. It was estimated in July that Tesla could only build 79,000 more qualifying vehicles before they'd pass that limit, and they'd manufactured over 80,000 cars in the preceding year. That's the income tax credit by the way which can be worth up to $7500 per car.

Tesla will still be able to rely on certain states providing their own unrelated incentives (eg New Jersey waives sales tax on electric vehicles, so on one of the high end Teslas you can easily save 7% versus a similarly priced gas car, Colorado gives you $5000 tax credit, etc). But those currently really help them right now because you got the up to $7500 credit from the feds on top of them, and there's 36 states that don't have incentives anymore or never did.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pangstrom posted:

The maddening thing about Gassée's links (follow them, they're good) is that there is an enormous body of knowledge about how to make assembly lines efficient and profitable, and Musk seems to think he's too smart to need them. I am ignorant about manufacturing, but "takt time" seems like a fundamental measurement, without which you can't tell if your manufacturing process is even working.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Elon Musk might be an idiot.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Star Man posted:

But it's such an elegant purple robe, with ermine trim!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Elon Musk is too busy trying to warn the world of the incoming AI apocalypse to care about manufacturing best practices

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

While technically true that readback isn't done all at once, exposure generally is so it isn't relevant.

This is incorrect for the devices I'm familiar with. Do you have an example of a global shutter rolling readout chip?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Edit: My coworker said we are working on a bizarre branch of image sensors.

Spazzle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 16, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Star Man posted:

A lot of Elon Musk's ideas seem like they'd be destined for the awful Kickstarter thread if he didn't have money. But he does, so for most people he's some sort of messianic figure that will save us from...???

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

A lot of Elon Musk's ideas seem like they'd be destined for the awful Kickstarter thread if he didn't have money. But he does, so for most people he's some sort of messianic figure that will save us from...???
Rereading Heinlein? Instead, we can watch a moral midget trying to LARP it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spazzle posted:

This is incorrect for the devices I'm familiar with. Do you have an example of a global shutter rolling readout chip?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Edit: My coworker said we are working on a bizarre branch of image sensors.

Before the edit I was going to say “literally all of them”

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The maddening thing about Gassée's links (follow them, they're good) is that there is an enormous body of knowledge about how to make assembly lines efficient and profitable, and Musk seems to think he's too smart to need them. I am ignorant about manufacturing, but "takt time" seems like a fundamental measurement, without which you can't tell if your manufacturing process is even working.

Here's the thing: The Tesla Model S and Model X production lines already run in a pretty normal way, with a pretty normal production rate that you'd expect from a competently implemented production workflow. It's not as efficient as an ideal production line could be, but it works pretty well.

It's just their new Model 3 production that is completely hosed.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, the whole Six Sigma thing grew out of car manufacturers. They've done some absolutely amazing things to make manufacturing streamlined and efficient, to the point where every industry that can copy the process does, and to the point where six sigma training is a huge boon to manufacturing engineers.

That Tesla doesn't follow that is hilarious and not at all surprising. Techbros aren't that interested in hiring people with experience in fields other than programming and lose out on a lot of expertise.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, the whole Six Sigma thing grew out of car manufacturers. They've done some absolutely amazing things to make manufacturing streamlined and efficient, to the point where every industry that can copy the process does, and to the point where six sigma training is a huge boon to manufacturing engineers.

That Tesla doesn't follow that is hilarious and not at all surprising. Techbros aren't that interested in hiring people with experience in fields other than programming and lose out on a lot of expertise.

About that...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

fishmech posted:

Here's the thing: The Tesla Model S and Model X production lines already run in a pretty normal way, with a pretty normal production rate that you'd expect from a competently implemented production workflow. It's not as efficient as an ideal production line could be, but it works pretty well.

It's just their new Model 3 production that is completely hosed.

Just to add to this since I have some first hand experience.

So I work in aerospace manufacturing and I would point out that even if Musk did have a Model S/X type line for the 3 that was functional, he'd still be hosed because he would still need to scale up the production rate. There's a massive difference between how the Boeing plant in Everett (747/67/77/87) is set up versus the plant in Renton (737).

The former has much more complicated construction, more options, plenty of room to deal with planes that have fallen behind and so on. A few stations where lots of work happens at each one. The latter is pretty much the opposite. Scaling production rate up and down is more than just changing headcount - you have to ensure your suppliers and your supply chain is up to the task, you may need additional tooling that doesn't have to be taken offline for any reason, the chances of loving up increase, as do the consequences and you really, really need to work closely with the folks on the floor to find better ways of doing things.

This isn't really deep, insider knowledge either. You can find this sort of poo poo out in any decent business program. The fact that Musk thinks that all he needs to do is run out the unionists like loving Walk Disney and put his desk at the end of the production line like an rear end in a top hat is simply incredible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I love it when people in this thread talk about their particular expertise.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Solkanar512 posted:

This isn't really deep, insider knowledge either. You can find this sort of poo poo out in any decent business program. The fact that Musk thinks that all he needs to do is run out the unionists like loving Walk Disney and put his desk at the end of the production line like an rear end in a top hat is simply incredible.
Do massive lines like that use EVT/DVT/PVT terminology or are those just babby product development terms?

I mean, back in April it came out that they'd skipped soft tooling for the Model 3. Wonder how much of the per-part fixup is directly attributable to that decision.

e: lol from back then http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/tesla-wont-test-model-3s-assembly-line-starting-full-scale-production

quote:

"Soft tooling did very little for the program and arguably hurt things," said the person to Reuters.
"welp, our process is too hosed to learn and incorporate things from soft tooling anyway, guess we'll skip it!"

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 17, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dirk the Average posted:

It goes the other way too and managers try to apply six sigma to things that are nothing like manufacturing and its a disaster.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Eh, you might be surprised. Sure, it may not be directly transferable, but I've seen case studies for applying lean to everything from engineering to dentistry. The basic ideas of eliminating waste and improving value to the customer are pretty much always beneficial. Statistical tracking specifically obviously isn't useful in those areas, though.

That being said, if any sort of lean is implemented poorly it's going to be far worse than the status quo. The issue isn't the concepts, it's implementation.

Makes me a bit pissed that my company only provides machines and processes. I'd love to get more involved in the production management side some day. On the other hand, I hate production, it's boring running a solved process, so eh, maybe I'll stick where I am.

Karia fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Speaking of bad management does anyone still do holocracy anymore?