Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pendragon posted:

I tried it out. Made it through the second episode before I realized I was just waiting for them to figure out the important stuff. Does it get better?

It's a slow burn for the first few episodes, but very much worth making it through. Really really good show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Pendragon posted:

I tried it out. Made it through the second episode before I realized I was just waiting for them to figure out the important stuff. Does it get better?

I very much think so.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
I watched Dear White People. It took me three tries to get into it but after the first episode I watched the whole thing in one night. I am excited for a second season.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Stranger Things is a fun show but it's not super-ultra-lifechangingly brilliant or anything. If you're not feeling the first couple episodes, you probably won't enjoy the rest, even if the characters do get a lot more fun as things go on.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I love how IT is in the weird position of riding the coattails of Stranger Things' (even has one of the kids) while clearly being an inspiration for it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if any of the streaming services have the other two movies besides Oldboy in the Vengeance Trilogy? (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance/Lady Vengeance)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Olive! posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know if any of the streaming services have the other two movies besides Oldboy in the Vengeance Trilogy? (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance/Lady Vengeance)

It's not on Prime, Hulu, or Netflix.

Edit: Lady Vengeance is on Prime (with a Tribeca Shortlist subscription)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm pretty sure that's because for some reason nobody cares about the other two movies and it's just Oldboy that matters

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Len posted:

I'm pretty sure that's because for some reason nobody cares about the other two movies and it's just Oldboy that matters

I like them but I don't think my DVDs in the storage unit will help much here

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grassy Knowles posted:

I like them but I don't think my DVDs in the storage unit will help much here

It's just for some reason I've never heard anyone ever reference the other two only Oldboy. I have all three somewhere at my parents too but Oldboy is the only one that ever gets mentioned

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lady Vengeance ( and mmmmaybe Mr. Vengeance) was on Netflix at some point since that's where I watched it, maybe it'll come back.

Speaking of Netflix, I'm about halfway through the documentary Mr. Dynamite: the Rise of James Brown and it freakin rules.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I ran out of stuff to watch and started playing American Vandal, knowing nothing about it.

It's probably 2-3 episodes too long, but it's pretty fuckin funny. It's one of those long-form crime documentaries that slowly reveals exciting details to you over hours and hours of content, but it's about who spray painted dicks on 27 cars in a school faculty parking lot.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Olive! posted:

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/lady%20vengence
http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/Sympathy%20for%20Mr.%20Vengeance

Doesn't look like.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

In addition to this site I also use the Fan TV app to figure out if/where I can watch whatever it is I'm looking for.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Thanks guys. Even without subscription services though, is there really no place to even purchase and watch these without having to order physical bluray/dvds? :wtf:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Olive! posted:

Thanks guys. Even without subscription services though, is there really no place to even purchase and watch these without having to order physical bluray/dvds? :wtf:

Looks like Vudu has Sympathy for rent(2.99) or sale (7.99)

I found Lady Vengeance on a couple sites by googling Lady Vengeance streaming but they look like :filez: so I won't post them here.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Captain Lavender posted:

I ran out of stuff to watch and started playing American Vandal, knowing nothing about it.

It's probably 2-3 episodes too long, but it's pretty fuckin funny. It's one of those long-form crime documentaries that slowly reveals exciting details to you over hours and hours of content, but it's about who spray painted dicks on 27 cars in a school faculty parking lot.

This is a pro click.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm not done with it yet but I can second/third American Vandal.

I also just burned through The Good Place in like two or three days and I think it might be one of my favorite sitcoms ever.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I've heard season 2 of the good place retreads alot of the same ground for a couple episodes for obvious reasons before it breaks off again. Still waiting for it to hit netflix though, season 1 was great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I couldn't get into American Vandal, just don't see the appeal. It looks well done but the main character is a shithead and I found myself thinking he deserves blame whether he did it or not.

The Good Place is awesome. I've only seen two episodes of S2 but I can see where it's going. It really doesn't retread S1 much.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

I was worried that the second season would end up just spinning it's wheels but it looks to be going to an interesting place. I like the show, especially when all the characters are interacting at the same time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching Manhunt on Netflix and it's pretty good. It's about the Unabomber and how they caught him and the events leading up to his trial.

"Based on a true story" so it definitely takes some liberties with the storytelling but I don't think it goes too far, from what I remember when it happened anyway.

Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany are in it too, which helps.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Agent355 posted:

I've heard season 2 of the good place retreads alot of the same ground for a couple episodes for obvious reasons before it breaks off again. Still waiting for it to hit netflix though, season 1 was great.

Sooooorta. It's very clever and doesn't feel like it's wasting your time.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
The first few eps of season 2 feel exactly the opposite of a slow retread.

Anyway, +1 to watching The Good Place, it's loving fantastic. One of those shows where I immediately felt like rewatching the entire thing as soon as I finished, like Westworld.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

I've been watching Manhunt on Netflix and it's pretty good. It's about the Unabomber and how they caught him and the events leading up to his trial.

"Based on a true story" so it definitely takes some liberties with the storytelling but I don't think it goes too far, from what I remember when it happened anyway.

Sam Worthington and Paul Bettany are in it too, which helps.

How much do they go into the whole weird unethical psychological testing thing he went through as a teenager?

e: I'd watch a documentary all about that

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agent355 posted:

They spend one episode retreading the entire first season and then poo poo goes way off the rails.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dave Grool posted:

How much do they go into the whole weird unethical psychological testing thing he went through as a teenager?

They haven't touched on it yet, but I'm only like 4 episodes in so not sure if they will or not. I'm only up to the point that his brother reads the manifesto and they don't know who Ted is yet, so if they delve into his past at all I would think that would be in the coming episodes.

That said, knowing what I do about the show I would be surprised if they did go into much detail on that, if at all.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Len posted:

It's just for some reason I've never heard anyone ever reference the other two only Oldboy. I have all three somewhere at my parents too but Oldboy is the only one that ever gets mentioned

Not that the other films are bad per se, it's just that Oldboy is by far the strongest of the bunch. I'm not one to yell at the TV often but the first time I saw the climax, I definitely gasped and shouted "OH NO loving WAY!" Chan-wook Park knows how to tell a revenge story, that's for guddamn sure.

Inzombiac posted:

It's very clever and doesn't feel like it's wasting your time.

This is actually a pretty good description of the series as a whole. I went into it thinking I'd bail pretty early and ended up starting it over as soon as it was done instead. It's wonderfully witty.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Why do my wife and I keep watching American Horror Story? It's been 95% garbage since season 1 and Roanoke continues that trend.

Yet every year we sit down and watch it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dave Grool posted:

There's a brutal brutal episode that's mostly about just that.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Why do my wife and I keep watching American Horror Story? It's been 95% garbage since season 1 and Roanoke continues that trend.

Yet every year we sit down and watch it.

I feel like there's always at least one moment that makes it worth watching each season but besides that it's a fun hatewatch.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dave Grool posted:

Nope I was wrong they definitely touch on it :stare:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Yeeeah, MK ULTRA sounds like a lunatic conspiracy theory but it absolutely happened. It's crazy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeeeah, MK ULTRA sounds like a lunatic conspiracy theory but it absolutely happened. It's crazy.

What?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The experiments that were done on various people like Ted Kazcinski, which is what the prior posts were referring to. If I try to describe them, I'll just look insane, but you can find them on Wikipedia and the like.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's a great article about it in The Atlantic.

warning: long as gently caress

I'm enjoying Manhunt but it took me like 2 episodes to realize Sam Waterson wasn't going to show up because I'm an idiot.

e: Waterston

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Harmonquest Season 2 is amazingly disappointing, especially when compared to the first season.

It's a mess. I can live with the occasional technical issue (sound mixing, editing gaffes, etc.), but the first several episodes look as though they were filmed one right after another after a bender and slapped together at the last minute. Harmon is fatigued as hell, like he's nursing a massive hangover, stumbling over thoughts and sentences, Jeff Davis looks like he just got off a 30-hour flight and went straight to the studio carrying a pile of blazers to change into between episodes, and the first few guests seem like they don't really know why they are there or what to do. Even Spencer seems off his game a bit.

Erin McGathy either didn't go to the party with them or has a secret hangover cure because she's (for the most part) fine.

And some things are just weird, like Harmon introducing McGathy as his ex-wife at the beginning of each episode. Seriously, what the gently caress? That's awkward as hell. And why was Aparna Nancherla introduced as "a new friend" with no elaboration as to how she and Harmon know each other or even what she does for a living?

also this may just be me but holy poo poo there is a super weird vibe between Harmon and Gillian Jacobs, who he worked with on Community. it's like they dated briefly and he broke it off, but he keeps finding hand and nose prints on the outside of his bedroom window in the morning

The animation is top-notch, though. One of the scant few good things I can say about the season so far.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Manhunt, it was pretty good, though it ended a bit abruptly. I guess I don't know where else they would have gone with it.

I'd suggest giving it a watch, it's pretty quick at only 8 episodes.

Started watching the unrelated new Mindhunter Netflix series that's about the creation of the term serial killer and what led up to it. I'm only 2 episodes in but it's pretty good so far. It's produced by David Fincher. Starts out with a teacher at the FBI that is training agents on hostage negotiation. He takes an interest in criminal psychology and teams up with another teacher to track down serial killers.

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 16:47 on Oct 16, 2017

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Started watching the unrelated new Mindhunter Netflix series that's about the creation of the term serial killer and what led up to it. I'm only 2 episodes in but it's pretty good so far. It's produced by David Fincher. Starts out with a teacher at the FBI that is training agents on hostage negotiation. He takes an interest in criminal psychology and teams up with another teacher to track down serial killers.

Yeah it seems pretty decent so far, but some of the dialog is really, really bad. Mostly the stuff between Bob FBIguy and Amazingly Hipgirlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Yeah it seems pretty decent so far, but some of the dialog is really, really bad. Mostly the stuff between Bob FBIguy and Amazingly Hipgirlfriend.

Yeah I don't get where they're going with that. I think it's fine on his part because he's supposed to be the intellectual weirdo and come off as awkward but she makes no sense so far.

I did appreciate that they put subtitles in the scene with the band so you knew what the hell they were saying.