Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Back on topic: The Gifted is a legit good show. It's not Legion good, but it's definitely "Great Fox primetime show that gets cancelled way too early" good. It reminds me of the Tomorrow People reboot, only not terrible.

Maybe it will get moved to FX if the main channel loses interest. FX seems to adopt a much more hands-off approach to the shows and let them grow.

Haven't seen any episodes yet, but it appears I may have to due to goodish to good reports on it from here and from IRL friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Proteus Jones posted:

Maybe it will get moved to FX if the main channel loses interest. FX seems to adopt a much more hands-off approach to the shows and let them grow.

Haven't seen any episodes yet, but it appears I may have to due to goodish to good reports on it from here and from IRL friends.

That is still my hope, since Fox as a company has a lot more invested in the X brand, I would hope they wouldn't be so quick to abandon it should it not meet expectations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The Scarecrow is good as a villain so far in Gotham. I'm also enjoying the licensed crime and penguin private police force. Bruce in the proto suit is amazing too.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So, like, should I actually go back and watch Gotham? Because I fell off that show hard like 4 episodes in because it seemed bad and I was still bitter it wasn't Gotham Central, but ya'll are making it sound good. Or at least entertaining.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

KaosMachina posted:

So, like, should I actually go back and watch Gotham? Because I fell off that show hard like 4 episodes in because it seemed bad and I was still bitter it wasn't Gotham Central, but ya'll are making it sound good. Or at least entertaining.

I stuck it out for a terrible first season. I started watching season 2 and noticed that it was considerably a looooooooooot better (and they actually kind of figured out what they were trying to do) but then life happened and I stopped watching and never caught up. From what I have heard season 2 was a huge improvement and it has kind of maintained that momentum.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

KaosMachina posted:

It never gets great. It stabilizes with better quality than the first season but it's best is never near as good as AoS at its best. And last season started laughably bad and got super uncomfortable when they aged up Poison Ivy so they could use her sexually but c'mon, she's still the same loving age, just looks older

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Gotham would be the best comic book show if Legion wasn't on. Season 2 and 3 are great ridiculous tv and season 4 is pretty good so far.

It really embraced the over the top aspect. It is like a gritty Batman '66. I mean this in a good way.

Edit: revising my list.
1. Riverdale
2. Legion
3. Gotham.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 17, 2017

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/920096279753052160

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Live action anime has a flawless record, especially on Netflix, so I am unbelievably excited and confident in this project.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

Live action anime has a flawless record, especially on Netflix, so I am unbelievably excited and confident in this project.

Oh I get it, you're saying the opposite.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

KaosMachina posted:

Nah some people have too much free time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ToastyPotato posted:

I think this headline is pretty misleading, its a Japanese Live Action adaptation that has some funding from Netflix

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

I think this headline is pretty misleading, its a Japanese Live Action adaptation that has some funding from Netflix

I feel like my point still stands.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Flash tonight was so great and fun. I'm glad I checked back in this season if only for this episode, even if the rest of it drives me away again! :buddy:

Looking at some reviews, people seemed to really like Gifted last night, though I thought both previous episodes were stronger. I think the whole plot with Blink being whammied to love Thunderbird is throwing me off a lot. That was just...a really weird thing, not at all where I expected them to take Blink this season, much less how I expected her and John to develop.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What was the goon consensus on last year's arrow? I only just finished it and last week's episode.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

What was the goon consensus on last year's arrow? I only just finished it and last week's episode.

I recall it was "wow, this is actually really good!" but at that point a ton of people had jumped ship from the prior two seasons.

Then we argued about whether Agents of SHIELD is good or not, but that happens like every 3 pages or so.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kingtheninja posted:

Return to form.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

I feel like the overall opinion of the thread here was a bit exaggerated. Prometheus was a great villain, and it was nice not having bullshit magic, but the writing on the show was still generally terrible, outside of the Prometheus stuff I guess and it was not as good as the first 2 seasons.

With regards to Flash, am I the only one completely over this Jekyl and Hyde poo poo with Snow? I mostly hate it because it was a major plot point last season that was never, ever explained, and I was happy to see it resolved. It sucks that they are basically going "lol nope" and just continuing it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

https://tvline.com/2017/10/18/titans-beast-boy-cast-ryan-potter-dc-streaming-series/

Beast Boy has been cast, and will be played by Ryan Potter. I'm happy for this, but I wish they went with somebody younger like they were aiming for.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Has the flash yet played any part of the ballad of Barry Allen?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

Return to form.

Pretty much this. Arrow works great when it has a singular focus and a villain that really outmatches Ollie. Season 2 (the best season) showed this with Slade, and last season showed it with Prometheus. It get's a bit tiring having a villain who is always 18 steps ahead, but it brings out the best in Ollie. Season 3 (the worst season) was meandering and boring and didn't really have any focus (or coherent plotlines). Season 4 was the righting of the ship but depended on too much stupid mystical stuff which really didn't gel with the show at all (plus it had such weird random big world implications poo poo that went nowhere *cough cough nuking of an American city cough cough*). Season 4 gave Ollie a great extended supporting family and really brought things back to form.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Roth posted:

https://tvline.com/2017/10/18/titans-beast-boy-cast-ryan-potter-dc-streaming-series/

Beast Boy has been cast, and will be played by Ryan Potter. I'm happy for this, but I wish they went with somebody younger like they were aiming for.
Hm. So the only two people of color on this show are playing characters with orange and green skin, respectively. :buddy:

In any case, I guess all the folks (including Potter himself) who'd campaigned for him to be Tim Drake are gonna be disappointed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Isn't Beast Boy pointlessly red now?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't know what other kinds of pointless things have happened in the N52 but he's been green at least since Rebirth.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They randomly changed him back to green after Lobdell's run was over, and then never mentioned it ever again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

They randomly changed him back to green after Lobdell's run was over, and then never mentioned it ever again.

For the best

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That sounds even dumber than red Nightwing for no reason.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The reason he was red in New 52 was to connect him to the red.

Which is dumb because he wasn't green because of his powers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

The reason he was red in New 52 was to connect him to the red.

Which is dumb because he wasn't green because of his powers.

Why was he green/how'd he get his powers? The only origin I've seen of his was the Young Justice one where he gets his powers from Hello Megan giving him a blood transfusion, which also turned him green (even though she was a white Martian, so that didn't make a lot of sense anyways).

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Why was he green/how'd he get his powers? The only origin I've seen of his was the Young Justice one where he gets his powers from Hello Megan giving him a blood transfusion, which also turned him green (even though she was a white Martian, so that didn't make a lot of sense anyways).

He's green due to contracting a disease while on an expedition in Africa with his parents as a child. He got bit by a green monkey. His parents used an experimental cure on him that worked, and then gave him his powers.

They then have a moment where they're about to go over a waterfall, and his parents force him to turn into a bird and fly away (he couldn't turn into large animals yet).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He caught Mysterious Africa Disease and his geneticist parents used an experimental serum that temporarily turned him into the only animal on Earth immune to MAD: The green monkey.

But he stayed green and can now turn into any animal.

(That version was probably ditched in a Crisis.)

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Legends of Tomorrow was so bad this week that if next week isn't a significant improvement I'm tapping out until the crossover and then tapping out for good probably. Holy poo poo. Even my dad, who genuinely and unironically enjoys the worst movies, thought Legends was horrible.

In other news, is Punisher ever coming out?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Legends of Tomorrow was so bad this week that if next week isn't a significant improvement I'm tapping out until the crossover and then tapping out for good probably. Holy poo poo. Even my dad, who genuinely and unironically enjoys the worst movies, thought Legends was horrible.

Hilariously for a show about time travelers, I feel like I've seen this exact post several times in the past.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Hilariously for a show about time travelers, I feel like I've seen this exact post several times in the past.

I tapped out season 1 because it was bad, season 2 was better. The season opener this year was weak, but they managed to top it this week by a mile. I think it is funny that Inhumans got so much poo poo, but Legends has pretty much always gotten away with things as bad if not worse. I guess the expectations are lower for it but ffs.

Is anyone watching Supergirl at all? It really seemed to find footing after the first season. It is still annoying at times, but I think might be enjoying SG more than Flash or Arrow so far this season. I'm really hoping Arrow can start playing it a bit smarter, since it lays pretty good ground work for stories. The season has definitely started better than last season did, I just hope the seasonal arc is as strong as the last one was.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

Pretty sure it's next Friday. They pushed the release out 2 weeks because of the Vegas shootingthoughts and prayers

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Pretty sure it's next Friday. They pushed the release out 2 weeks because of the Vegas shootingthoughts and prayers

They are releasing Punisher and Stranger Things on the same day? :stare:

Well that kind of sucks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm catching up on Arrow, and I really like all the jokes about Oliver Queen introducing himself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

They are releasing Punisher and Stranger Things on the same day? :stare:

Well that kind of sucks.

Makes for a busy weekend. Plus I've got my see how many NCAA Football games I can have on screen(s) activity going on Saturday.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm keeping up with Supergirl. It's still prone to some ridiculous shite sometimes and the sooner she stops crying over the fuckboy love of her life the better, but overall it's settled into a good groove for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

ToastyPotato posted:

The season opener this year was weak, but they managed to top it this week by a mile.

Letting an embiggened sabertooth tiger loose on a circus in 1870 was an honest, if moronic and easily avoidable, mistake. Everyone jumping on the ship instead of, I dunno, hunting after it before it murdered anyone? Don't call them heroes...