Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Just don't do a parrot.Tthey might just seem like goofy but controllable birds but under that exterior is a being of malevolence. Actually sounds like a good idea try that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ravens are basically parrots if they weren't really dumb and obnoxious so just get one of those. They're a classic for good reason

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I turned myself into a Lich and that's how I have the power to make all those Da Share Zone memes

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
Just took the leap to lichdom a few days ago. Does anyone know how long it will take for my nose to rot off so I can stop smelling my rotting flesh?

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Take an acid bath and just get rid of all your flesh. You don't need it now. And then you'll be a badass skeleton and can start having your minions set gems and carve runes into your bones.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Make sure your bone binding has set though otherwise you’ll end up a sentient pile of bones in a bathtub and it’s hard to face your minions after they have to re-assemble you on the rack.

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
Ravens WILL hoard shiny trinkets like invoking talismans and rings, casting bands and all other kinds of magic jewelry though. First you think "oh how cute he has a little hiding place" but then you realize he took the Orb and it's already too late by that point to save yourself

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
/\/\/\ Make sure you properly protect all your orbs.

Speleothing posted:

Should I get a vulture or a raven? I'm going to invest a lot of mystic power into it, so I probably can't do both.

Ravens can be trusted with a degree of autonomy so they can be used for many things such as messages or temporary setback death plans.

poverty goat posted:

Ravens are basically parrots if they weren't really dumb and obnoxious so just get one of those. They're a classic for good reason

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Just took the leap to lichdom a few days ago. Does anyone know how long it will take for my nose to rot off so I can stop smelling my rotting flesh?

Lol, just lol, if you haven't mastered defiling magic to suck the life out of any nearby thing to rejuvenate you every time you cast a spell.

It should go without saying that you should get some kind of thrall gem on some jewelry to protect any ravens, living minions, etc, that you want to keep.

The threat of thrall gem backsies can keep kobolds, goblins, and other cowardly minions in line, too, so there's that. Even if you're not an immortal defiler draco-lich, playing mind games with your minions about thrall gem backsies can keep them in line pretty well.

naem
May 29, 2011

The best familiars just kinda show up imo

There's a bunch of vermin flapping around the skull piles in your peripheral vision and one day you're muttering angrily to yourself "now where DID I put that flesh scribe"

Someone hands it to you CROOOOOOOAK and you're like "mm hrr yes thank you" without thinking about it

HELLBITCH
Sep 15, 2017

bad at posting
I got unlucky and wound up with a lineage of fruitflies as my familiar so I periodically have to leave food in the Million Fly Pit so it may spawn more of itself into being

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The RNG can give you unique, powerful familiars Indeed.

I've got a giraffe, myself. Last one on Athas.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

HELLBITCH posted:

I got unlucky and wound up with a lineage of fruitflies as my familiar so I periodically have to leave food in the Million Fly Pit so it may spawn more of itself into being

fruitflies are huge in genetics research so im sure there's an evil breakthrough here, like fruitflies that can evolve into ravens in 24-36 hours. and then youve got a real loving familiar

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
I know a chronomancer who's his own familiar

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
I like to put curses on people such as a thousand years of bad spaghetti sauce or a thousand years of having water stuck in your ears for an hour after taking a shower.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Have Blue posted:

I know a chronomancer who's his own familiar

That's... that's brilliant. I assume once he summons himself that iteration summons himself and so on until any problem is dealt with by sheer brute forcing it, as long as the proper protective wards are in place?

naem
May 29, 2011

You'd be constantly trying to usurp yourself

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

That's... that's brilliant. I assume once he summons himself that iteration summons himself and so on until any problem is dealt with by sheer brute forcing it, as long as the proper protective wards are in place?

I'm an evil sorcerer from Cyrodill, and I'm warning you: it's more hassle than it's worth, even when you're doing it with lesser creatures. Sure it starts off nice being able to delegate a cavern entrance to a summoned skeleton guardian who can in turn summon skeleton guardians who summon skeleton warriors, but before long the skeleton warriors learn to ritual summon more skeleton guardians who summon skeleton warriors and eventually your lair is filled with bonebags who demand your agenda be ruled by popular vote and then you're stuck in a corner making creaking noises with your mouth and hiding in barrels because THATS ALL SKELETONS EVER loving WANT TO DO

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

tried that once, stopped after I got summoned into combat by my future self while on the john

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Usually it involves creating a stable time loop that links the beginning and end of the encounter so that he groundhog days his way through and then his various selves collapse back together once its over. Sourcing other versions of yourself from random timelines is faster and easier but then you also end up with:

Vlonald Prump posted:

tried that once, stopped after I got summoned into combat by my future self while on the john

and a much greater risk of paradoxes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well, duh, I said proper protective wards, didn't I?

LOL if you don't use the correct protective wards for your reality warping.

Just, LOL.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Paradoxes don't tend to care much about wards. Aether is like tissue paper to a fundamental discontinuity in the state of things. Also do you really wanna risk summoning a version of yourself that never got over his good phase or maybe never even discovered their latent magical talent?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't matter, with the correct wards in place all of those things are irrelevant.

Simply only draw upon future possible versions of yourself who feel inclined to help whatever the current situation is that also come from futures you possibly, but won't bring to pass because they are stupid dumb futures where you have an eye patch and steampunk robot arm or where the cute red-haired girl breaks your heart so you go all emo and also where future-you won't mind erasing yourself from existence by your actions in the past.

Just whitelist those potentialities, and you're "good" so to speak.

Keep The Laws.:colbert:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

It doesn't matter, with the correct wards in place all of those things are irrelevant.

Simply only draw upon future possible versions of yourself who feel inclined to help whatever the current situation is that also come from futures you possibly, but won't bring to pass because they are stupid dumb futures where you have an eye patch and steampunk robot arm or where the cute red-haired girl breaks your heart so you go all emo and also where future-you won't mind erasing yourself from existence by your actions in the past.

Just whitelist those potentialities, and you're "good" so to speak.

Keep The Laws.:colbert:

Great. Now, I've got a version of me who's a cute red-haired emo girl with an eyepatch and a steampunk arm running around.

It's really awkward. We work well together when the pressure's on, but we both think the other made some strange and ultimately regrettable life choices. I don't really think my goatee and castle of screaming corpses are quite that weird, but, then, I'm sure I'm biased.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I hope those screaming corpses only do so at regular intervals. Like a chiming clock. Otherwise, that would drive someone nuts.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Great. Now, I've got a version of me who's a cute red-haired emo girl with an eyepatch and a steampunk arm running around.

It's really awkward. We work well together when the pressure's on, but we both think the other made some strange and ultimately regrettable life choices. I don't really think my goatee and castle of screaming corpses are quite that weird, but, then, I'm sure I'm biased.

My apprentice is a redhead angsty guy with a steampunk third arm and an inherited castle of screaming corpses, so I'm pretty sure you gently caress up somewhere down the line

or at least gently caress

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
that still counts as masturbation though so dont cancel your subscription to Double Wizard Monthly just yet

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm one of those sissy elemental wizards that isn't nearly as cool as the necro/lich crowd.

I drive a gio and dating is a challenge

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
How many times do you guys have to deal with sentient spell books attempting to read themselves ?

I had to clean up a huge mess in my dungeon the other day because one of them learned how to turn the rats into living bombs.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mokbek posted:

How many times do you guys have to deal with sentient spell books attempting to read themselves ?

I had to clean up a huge mess in my dungeon the other day because one of them learned how to turn the rats into living bombs.

Why are you allowing your books to know how to read or even be capable of reading? Pluck out their eyes at once.

We you've got a Terminator situation now, haven't you.

not my problem

im an evil liiiiiiiiiiiiiiich!!!

naem
May 29, 2011

sever her other arm

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm one of those sissy elemental wizards that isn't nearly as cool as the necro/lich crowd.

Just, stand on some hilltops and summon lightning and laugh maniacally girls love that

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Just kidnap some Paladin's boy/girlfriend and corrupt him/her.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

on the other hand the negative infused elemtals are hard core, well except for Salt, obviously

but Dust, Ash and loving Vacuum are cool as heck mate

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i cast find familiar and my familiar was a lamprey that was summoned directly onto one of my nipples. my wizards tower is made of bones all glued together. when im having a bad day where i have done no evil, and sit back and 'think of kansas' to cheer myself up, i think of kansas under sam brownback. i am a lich whose phylactery is a mason jar filled with old, dark, stale piss. i know the spells 'identify', 'magic missiles', 'summon skeleton', 'conjuration: screeching violins', and 'web of lies'. i am prolife

Orkin Mang fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 16, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Oh man, the day of wizard school where we summoned our familliars for the first time, i drank a luck potion before the summons. Unfortunately, my good luck in this matter (got a black drake) came at a huge cost to every one else. We're talking at least six people with earthworm familliars. One kid got a stinkbug lmfao

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
That is 100% on your classmates. It’s a zero sum game so if you’re not trying to give yourself an edge you’re going to get clowned at the summoning circle.

Besides, any competent wizard should be able to turn an earthworm familiar into something terrifying. All you have to do is expose it to the Elemental Plane of Mutagens and you have a terrifying humanoid worm mass that vomits concentrated lye on command.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Just gotta double-down on what you're good at. A couple spirits of elemantal fire are gonna clown on literally thousands of skeletons. But you're not going to find immortality going that route.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have an orb that contains the souls of everyone in Fargrimdark, but I lost it when a plucky young sidekick knocked it out of my hand with a boomerang and it shattered upon the castle floor and now all those shitheads have their souls back. tfn kid

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 16, 2017

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000

Speleothing posted:

Just gotta double-down on what you're good at. A couple spirits of elemantal fire are gonna clown on literally thousands of skeletons. But you're not going to find immortality going that route.
Not traditional immortality, but if you find a way to bind your life force to the Platonic essence of fire, as long as a flame burns somewhere on the material plane you’ll be unable to truly die.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The villagers woke me up at the crack of dawn (again) begging me to end the famine, so I sold them some magic beans from the poo poo monks of the plane of farts, cursed with a little side project I'm tentatively naming "wind of kale"

Stay away from the village is what I'm saying, unless you're a necro in which case it might be a nice palette cleanser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
Yo you mind if I throw a barrier up and over that village? I got an alchemist friend who needs a whole lot of methane generated by human suffering for a project and this seems like some dope synergy.

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 16, 2017

• Locked thread