Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I later got a rhymer as one of my overlords. Because I need someone to spit hot fire to Sauron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASceoDj7Gu4

The nemesis stuff is just so much better this time. I shamed one guy and he came back later as "the unashamed" with white hands drawn all over him to prove he's not shamed, but proud. So now I made him my bodyguard because cool paint dude. I also tried to shame another orc but it backfired and now he's like level 56 while I'm level 27. So our next fight should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Simply Simon posted:

Listen, I don't know what I did wrong, I just remember having had a bad time twice now. Someone said that it's possible to not buy equipment, maybe I neglected that. I really, really don't know where my problems came from; I have beaten every Final Fantasy from 1-13 excluding 11, many of them including superbosses and poo poo, so it's not like a Square RPG should confound me, but it did. As I said, I'm super looking forward to addressing this eternal point of personal shame.

When I initially posted, I thought I was in the complaints thread, but I guess that will actually be a little thing that makes playing Super Mario RPG ages too late* for it to be relevant actually special in a way for me.

*I'm German, so I couldn't easily have played it before discovering emulators anyway!
Update on this: I beat the loving crocodile. It was still relatively tight, though. He does a surprising amount of damage for the first proper boss, and I did buy the equipment to mitigate it. The cloud dude* was almost killed twice, and he's completely useless in the damage compartment - I want to save the FP for the Fireballs (which also seems to burn the Croco's tail, but only did so once?), so all he could do was eat mushrooms to not die. I was down to two at the end. The fight is also a few rounds longer than I feel it needs to be.

I do think I never bought the equipment before, and even if I did, I might have hosed up equipping it - switching to the right-hand-side list to "klick" the equipment over is kinda weird, imho. That might be the biggest source of my previous issues. Also, I never thought to just go all-in with the Fireball, if you just Attack with Mario and heal with the cloudguy, you'll never get anywhere I think.

I never realized before now that FP are shared with the whole party, maybe also something which caused me to gently caress up severely.

Oh, and I got killed by the Hammer Bros so maybe I still am just really, REALLY bad at Super Mario RPG. I kept thinking "only one's alive and he's probably gonna keel over with the next attack and then I'll level up, so no need to waste a mushroom

okay but next attack he's dead

okay if he does another Hammer Time I'll bite it but he MUST be dead now

oh"

Why is this game so hard :psyduck:? I really enjoy it though! It's fine that it's harder than "the first 10 hours are basically tutorial" RPGs that I guess I'm a little too used to, it just requires an unexpected shift in how I usually tackle RPGs, I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Mario RPG was one of my first RPGs and I almost beat it on a rental when I was like ten and only died a handful of times. You need to Twitch stream this or something because I really can't wrap my head around having that much trouble.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Are you doing the timed attacks?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I like how in SMRPG it's mostly whimsical fantasy weapons like hammers and turtle shells and parasols except every now and then Bowser just throws a loving spiked ball on a chain in someone's face and Geno whips out a machine gun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Are you doing the timed attacks?
Yes I am! Mostly successful, even.

It is possible that they expect you to grind a little, which is something I have almost completely weaned myself off of (except for rare drops and challenges when I really like the game). I was "just" level 3 against the croc, maybe that makes a huge difference? I have the impression that most people play RPGs (and other games, hell, I see Bloodborne players doing that) by going "ah this enemy is easy enough to beat and gives okay experience, I know what I'm doing the next 5 hours", and I did that too when I was 10. Sooo maybe if you do that by default (or did it when you first played SMRPG), then it IS really easy? I have no idea of the underlying formulas and how much levels and stats really matter...

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

It is possible that they expect you to grind a little, which is something I have almost completely weaned myself off of (except for rare drops and challenges when I really like the game). I was "just" level 3 against the croc, maybe that makes a huge difference? I have the impression that most people play RPGs (and other games, hell, I see Bloodborne players doing that) by going "ah this enemy is easy enough to beat and gives okay experience, I know what I'm doing the next 5 hours", and I did that too when I was 10. Sooo maybe if you do that by default (or did it when you first played SMRPG), then it IS really easy? I have no idea of the underlying formulas and how much levels and stats really matter...

Levels in SMRPG are really compressed. A level here is worth three or so levels in a normal game. If you struggle and die, just go level. Or slam your head against it, whatever.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Simply Simon posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you're underleveled. Luckily you don't really need to "grind" much because even one or two levels is a pretty huge power increase. Like even just one or two points in Attack can be the difference between dealing damage in the low teens vs in the twenties.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also there are rooms where you can pick up a star power and just run in a circle getting levels off enemies since killing enemies with a star is worth full exp if I remember correctly.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
I had the most ridiculous situation happen just now in Fallout 4. I cleared out Hyde Park and I was heading to Suffolk Charter School nearby when I saw the behemoth and decided to kite it over to the church near Hyde to kill it, since I was drastically underlevelled for it. So I shot it a couple of times then ran back towards the empty church. Except it wasn't empty. A super mutant platoon - complete with goddamn suicider - had suddenly spawned so I had to deal with them before I could take on the behemoth.
So I dealt with that then decided to fight the siege breaker sentry bot that spawns near the school as well, using the same tactics. Except the church was occupied again, this time by Children of Atom. After I finished them off and went outside to try and lure the sentry bot back, I got jumped by a pair of high level Gunners.
It was so stupid but drat if I didn't get a ton of good loot. I guess that church must be a random event spawn?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was using the distance poison skill on a barrel of Grog and spamming the button because I couldn't tell if it was doing something. I immediately get tackled by a poisoner assassin that starts roasting me for using four times as much poison as I needed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Guy Mann posted:

I like how in SMRPG it's mostly whimsical fantasy weapons like hammers and turtle shells and parasols except every now and then Bowser just throws a loving spiked ball on a chain in someone's face and Geno whips out a machine gun.

Peach's best weapon is a goddamn cast iron frying pan

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wait in America was Peach Peach already or did she still go by Toadstool

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Wait in America was Peach Peach already or did she still go by Toadstool

The Peach changeover happened in Mario 64 (sort of. "Princess Toadstool (Peach)" in the opening letter.) She was Toadstool in SMRPG

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something really clever that Get Even does is play with the idea of delving into memories, by having the Navi character Red counterbalancing the main character (Who's name is the hilarious Cole Black) as the main character tends to get emotional and screw up the simulation with literal memory leaks making him an unreliable narrator, and it initially is just little things, like a puzzle that you brute force and Red's like "Ok, that worked, but it was annoying. Try to focus next time." and occasionally trying to temper Cole's impatience with lines like "This is an investigation, not a shooting gallery!" and initially I was like "Red, it's working, get off my case - then level 3 happened, in which you learn what the Pandora device messing with your memories can really do -

It cross references memories with related data from other sources, like police reports dealing with a murder that Cole is trying to get info from, and Cole's lack of focus gets him into trouble. At first he is able to temper himself with Red's advice, like when the room fills with all the people murdered in the warehouse over the years and Red's like "Focus... look or the guy we are trying to find and isolate him..." then you leave the building, end up back in the first level briefly until you end up in the fourth level, but everything has becomes scrambled, as Cole keeps trying to push ahead to figure out where the character fits into things and random police interiews are constructing half-finished interview rooms with a police officer and mannequin and a few notes, and Red is getting more and more annoyed as too much information is entering the fray with no context and no idea where it fits into the overall puzzle. Eventually he just pulls you out because all you are doing is indulging in Conjecture, no longer investigating anything just random facts with little relevance.

That was pretty cool, I'm kind of of Red's side now as a result :P. It works because Cole is an Unreliable Narrator - and Red is his audience,

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Who What Now posted:

Yeah, it sounds like you're underleveled. Luckily you don't really need to "grind" much because even one or two levels is a pretty huge power increase. Like even just one or two points in Attack can be the difference between dealing damage in the low teens vs in the twenties.
That makes a lot of sense and very probably is the exact source of my troubles!

I guess it's weird to assign the "difficulty" moniker to "requires just a single level of grinding", but I hope it's ultimately clear why I kept being bewildered by a game where you can have loads of trouble against the first real boss in the game if you don't go at least a bit out of your way to train. Unless we're talking, like, Ys or Lufia, I can't think of any even semi-modern RPG where this would be an issue so early. For sure not in contemporaries like FF6 (okay, a bad comparison because that game never develops any semblance of difficulty), Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

Thanks everyone for helping me clear up this thing that's been annoying me for quite a while now :). I'll start playing the rest of the game now and already I'm looking forward to more of the gorgeous spritework and the rather funny writing. I found Toadstool's ??? :xd:.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Playing through Bulletstorm again. I haven't played it since release and I forgot how just plain FUN it is. Like it really is a game designed around providing a fun experience for the player and I wish more companies would follow that philosophy.

Also for the Duke Nukem campaign they literally just dubbed over Grayson's lines with Dukes, so it rarely makes sense and he's usually just confused about what's going on and why people are calling him the wrong name.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I played Mario RPG for like the 100th time last year and only then figured out that you can go into debt in Marrymore and be forced to "work" as a bellhop in the hotel.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Simply Simon posted:

That makes a lot of sense and very probably is the exact source of my troubles!

I guess it's weird to assign the "difficulty" moniker to "requires just a single level of grinding", but I hope it's ultimately clear why I kept being bewildered by a game where you can have loads of trouble against the first real boss in the game if you don't go at least a bit out of your way to train. Unless we're talking, like, Ys or Lufia, I can't think of any even semi-modern RPG where this would be an issue so early. For sure not in contemporaries like FF6 (okay, a bad comparison because that game never develops any semblance of difficulty), Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

Thanks everyone for helping me clear up this thing that's been annoying me for quite a while now :). I'll start playing the rest of the game now and already I'm looking forward to more of the gorgeous spritework and the rather funny writing. I found Toadstool's ??? :xd:.

If you beat most of the enemies in a given room you're probably going to be at around the correct level for the boss of that area. If you have to backtrack you're free to avoid enemies or you can avoid enemies you find annoying without problem. It sounds like you might have been deliberately avoiding enemies before. If not, then that's weird, but not a huge deal, I think.

Hopefully you start enjoying the game more!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

I later got a rhymer as one of my overlords. Because I need someone to spit hot fire to Sauron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASceoDj7Gu4

The nemesis stuff is just so much better this time. I shamed one guy and he came back later as "the unashamed" with white hands drawn all over him to prove he's not shamed, but proud. So now I made him my bodyguard because cool paint dude. I also tried to shame another orc but it backfired and now he's like level 56 while I'm level 27. So our next fight should be fun.

...Well gently caress I was going to hold off for a sale cause the microtransactions really rubbed me the wrong way but.... I mean...

Dude

A rhyming orc

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Simply Simon posted:

Update on this: I beat the loving crocodile. It was still relatively tight, though. He does a surprising amount of damage for the first proper boss, and I did buy the equipment to mitigate it. The cloud dude* was almost killed twice, and he's completely useless in the damage compartment - I want to save the FP for the Fireballs (which also seems to burn the Croco's tail, but only did so once?), so all he could do was eat mushrooms to not die. I was down to two at the end. The fight is also a few rounds longer than I feel it needs to be.

The game will only get easier from here on out. Mallow will never not be useless and is best used chugging syrup so mario can keep jumping and using fireballs. Mallow is the worst frog in the world.

A lovely, lovely frog.

If you haven't gotten used to it, it's not just attacks you can time. You can time defense as well. Perfectly timed you can reduce almost every incoming attack to 0 damage. Not perfectly timed you just reduce the damage by like half or something.

Simply Simon posted:

I was "just" level 3 against the croc, maybe that makes a huge difference?
:eyepop: the game caps at 30, I'm sure a low level run is possible but it wouldn't be very fun. You don't have to grind too, too much in the game but I'd suggest at least getting mario above level 5, I usually do before the croco fight. Once you get a party member who isn't complete garbage the game gets less frustrating. No one likes mallow.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Leal posted:

...Well gently caress I was going to hold off for a sale cause the microtransactions really rubbed me the wrong way but.... I mean...

Dude

A rhyming orc

if it makes you feel better it sounds like the microtransaction stuff is completely unnecessary and there's nothing in those that you can't get from just playing the game(especially in a game like this where having a memorable dynamic encounter that leads to a recruited orc is way more interesting than just popping one out of a lootbox)

still feels slightly skeevy that they're ripping off people who are bad with their money but you yourself don't have to participate in that side of things

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Leal posted:

Dude

A rhyming orc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRwoVFuiWT0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
SMRPG being of the age where grinding was expected if not outright mandatory in RPGs is made worse by the fact that its lite platforming elements and lack of random encounters mean that you're actually penalized by playing well since you miss more encounters and have less experience.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

SMRPG being of the age where grinding was expected if not outright mandatory in RPGs is made worse by the fact that its lite platforming elements and lack of random encounters mean that you're actually penalized by playing well since you miss more encounters and have less experience.
It came out a year after Chrono Trigger which is somehow perfectly tuned that if you avoid all the annoying encounters, you're still leveled quite comfortably. It probably forces* you into enough fights that you can avoid pretty much everything you really don't care for and it'll still work out. Both games have encounters on the world map which is a super rarity for that time period (heck, even still) and are from the same company, so I don't know if "it's just the way things were" counts. I made sure to fight more things but hell, if a game lets me skip trash mobs I sure as hell will.

Come to think of it, I did mention Secret of Mana as another game from the same time period and you can grind as much as you want to, the first few bosses will still kick you rear end (especially that drat tiger). Maybe Square just had some solid misses in the "early game difficulty curve" department round that time...

Nuebot posted:

:eyepop: the game caps at 30, I'm sure a low level run is possible but it wouldn't be very fun. You don't have to grind too, too much in the game but I'd suggest at least getting mario above level 5, I usually do before the croco fight. Once you get a party member who isn't complete garbage the game gets less frustrating. No one likes mallow.
Level 5 before the Croco fight? I just arrived at Rose Town and am only Level 6! That sounds a bit high to me. Also, Mallow owns because he has an AOE attack, I depend on the little guy to make fights go faster (IF I do the fights, haha).

*I've read a low-level LP where they avoid far more things than you really think you could, but I count those as "barely intended for your to skip" and that's a very special circumstance anyway...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Apparently Kemco released the exact same puzzle platformer on the Gameboy multiple times only with a different licensed character each time. That's so amazingly shameless that it's downright impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-xRmDx224&t=2052s

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Level 5 before the Croco fight? I just arrived at Rose Town and am only Level 6! That sounds a bit high to me. Also, Mallow owns because he has an AOE attack, I depend on the little guy to make fights go faster (IF I do the fights, haha).

A bit, but I never had to grind for the rest of the game, levels tend to come pretty smoothly. Your next character is better than mallow ever could be and rose town is great.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Kemco released the exact same puzzle platformer on the Gameboy multiple times only with a different licensed character each time. That's so amazingly shameless that it's downright impressive.

hosed up that Bill Murray has voiced two of those characters

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Playing through Bulletstorm again. I haven't played it since release and I forgot how just plain FUN it is. Like it really is a game designed around providing a fun experience for the player and I wish more companies would follow that philosophy.

Also for the Duke Nukem campaign they literally just dubbed over Grayson's lines with Dukes, so it rarely makes sense and he's usually just confused about what's going on and why people are calling him the wrong name.

Wait, Duke Nukem campaign in Bulletstorm? :stare:

I played Bulletstorm when it came out and had a blast, but it sounds like they've added some stuff to it since then.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ToxicFrog posted:

Wait, Duke Nukem campaign in Bulletstorm? :stare:

I played Bulletstorm when it came out and had a blast, but it sounds like they've added some stuff to it since then.

All that changes is they replaced Grayson's character model with Duke and his dialog with Jon St. John. The entire rest of the game is the same, meaning that the other characters are going through the same plot and dialog as before only now with Duke Nukem.

The Duke Nukem mode is only available in the HD remaster and was cited as a justification for charging full price for it when no one had asked for it in the first place, which made a lot of people really angry.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

haveblue posted:

The Duke Nukem mode is only available in the HD remaster and was cited as a justification for charging full price for it when no one had asked for it in the first place, which made a lot of people really angry.

Wait did that actually happen somewhere because Duke wasn't even in the base game, he was pre-order DLC.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Also they took the original version of Bulletstorm off Steam and made the 'remastered version' 60 bucks lmao

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
And this was after they took the existing Duke Nukem 3D off of Steam and then released a remaster with less content that cost twice as much,

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They sold pre-orders for future landfill fodder the multiple tiers of luxurious collector's editions through literal den of thieves G2A because Gearbox really are that loving stupid.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

The game will only get easier from here on out. Mallow will never not be useless and is best used chugging syrup so mario can keep jumping and using fireballs. Mallow is the worst frog in the world.

A lovely, lovely frog.

If you focus every single one of his level ups into Magic then he can basically wipe every random encounter in the game in a single super cheap spell starting pretty early. Mallow is only overshadowed because Peach has better spells, and Bowser attacks way harder, and you don't fight huge groups that often.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Who What Now posted:

If you focus every single one of his level ups into Magic then he can basically wipe every random encounter in the game in a single super cheap spell starting pretty early. Mallow is only overshadowed because Peach has better spells, and Bowser attacks way harder, and you don't fight huge groups that often.

Also his introduction has him crying and starting without a weapon then dying immediately to everything you fight so the game really just encourages you to hate him early on.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Gino has a gun, which when I was a kid was the most important thing in the world.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Caufman posted:

Gino has a gun, which when I was a kid was the most important thing in the world.

As an adult, that still seems like the most important thing in the world.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Well, in my adulthood, the most important thing in life is to know when to hold the gun, and when to let it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Guy Mann posted: