Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
No reason, it rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The 1.2 that'll be announced soon or the Panna 42.5

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Xabi posted:

No reason, it rules.

It's this. It's really quick to focus, weighs nothing, tack sharp. Go get it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So we are expecting a baby soon. Not counting DOF effect, what kind of mirrorless body has noticeable better video quality than recent iPhone 8/Note 8?

Does the XT1 product better or worst 1080p video than iphone 8?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

So we are expecting a baby soon. Not counting DOF effect, what kind of mirrorless body has noticeable better video quality than recent iPhone 8/Note 8?

Worse.

X-T20 will be better, Panasonic G7 (no IBIS) and the G85 (IBIS) will be great as well.

Edit: All things being equal the iPhone 8/Note 8 do video really well in decent lighting. If you already have one of those phones I would just snag a cheap gimbal or something (if you REALLY want stabilized video) and roll with those.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 12, 2017

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Focusing is an issue for video on the XT1. I don't understand why focusing in video is so hard, but in continuous focus mode it hunts for focus at times.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
King of video for the "value" buyer is the G85 from everything I have read. It's also a great camera full stop.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

whatever7 posted:

XT1 kind of does on perfect situations but in real life not usually. The XT2 is a step up but I still just use my iPhone 8+ for video because I am lazy and other than dof it is just fine and I am not a big video snob. Honestly I have been shooting with the iPhone a lot too. The new camera is certainly no comparison to an xt2 but it is still good for always being in my pocket

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Alright my current plan is iPhone+gimbal as main video camera and maybe XT1+56mm on manual as backup. I already have 5,6 working cameras, I really don't want to deal with another system format.

BTW that weird google clip sports "camera" should be great for babies. Looking forward to it bomb in consumer market and I will pickup a couple.

alakath
Nov 3, 2007

The green knight gets all the princesses.
Had to get my picture taken at work today for new ID badges. They used a Canon mirrorless. I felt violated.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I just delivered a headshot to a client completely unedited because the jpg out of my xpro2 with the 90mm f/2 was that loving good. Overcast open shade, a slight tweak to the awb (I always run R:3 B:-3 during the day), and a cheap wool blanket on a background stand. I'm gonna edit the other photos and send them along but I already know that one is the shot she will use. Goddamn fuji owns.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

whatever7 posted:

I wanted to use my XT1 for shooting my baby but in the end I just used my iPhone 7+ for everything, photos and videos. It's way more convenient, faster, and you can share it with people instantly. Plus portrait mode is great, if you can get that rare moment when the baby looks at you. If you're really anal about image quality, you can shoot raw on the phone and use LR mobile to edit it but I don't bother.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

alkanphel posted:

I wanted to use my XT1 for shooting my baby but in the end I just used my iPhone 7+ for everything, photos and videos. It's way more convenient, faster, and you can share it with people instantly. Plus portrait mode is great, if you can get that rare moment when the baby looks at you. If you're really anal about image quality, you can shoot raw on the phone and use LR mobile to edit it but I don't bother.

I got my first mirrorless before my daughter was born in 2012 - a Sony NEX5n. I did take a few photos of her with whatever iPhone I had back then and of course cell phone cameras were not as good then as they are now but I still would have done it that way even if I had an iPhone 8 and if I had another kid I would certainly use my X-T2. I use my phone more often now and don’t have my camera on me 100% of the time like I used to but it is no replacement for a good camera. I look back at the first photos of my daughter and am very glad that I didn’t use a cell phone. If I wasn’t lazy I could go back and rework the raws, the resolution is much higher and as displays improve the resolution is only going up so that is future proofing the pictures being viewed on a screen as tech gets better.

That’s just me though - just wanted to chime in and whatever works for other people is cool. I like the creative decisions too in the pictures that no one else will care about probably in terms of choosing focal length and aperture. My main hope is that when my daughter grows up that she can look at these photos and enjoy looking some times we had that she can’t remember - now that she is five she is already not remembering things from even last year so it is even fun now showing her photos of things to try to jog her memory, laugh at things from when she was a baby and toddler and try to do my best to take the best picture I can and I can’t do it as well with a cell phone. But phones are certainly getting better. I still get shots I like but I miss a lot too due to focal length restrictions and slow autofocus.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

There's a massdrop on the E-M5 Mark II for $679 today

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/olympus-om-d-e-m5-mark-ii-16-1-mp-silver

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Do any of y'all have the Panasonic G85? My parents are moving to Europe in a few months and I want to buy them one as a Christmas present, especially because I already have an E-M10 and can share lenses with them. Are there any other cameras I should look at in the same price range?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I think the G85 is the best m43 camera in it's price range. My wife and I own one, we are hobbyists but we love the thing. I was considering buying another camera just I would have something to shoot with when she took the G85, decided against it when I realized the only camera I would buy right now is another G85.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Yeah, I think the camera with the 12-60 kit lens would be plenty for their needs. I also have a 14mm 2.5 that I can give them, since I pretty much replaced it with the 15mm 1.7.

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!
Fuji deals are now live, for anyone who missed it: https://www.fujirumors.com/full-list-fuji-x-camera-deals-x-t2-x-pro2-body-included-deals-available-now-amazonus-via-third-party/

quote:

Body and Lens kits:

X-T2 Body (save $100)
X-T2 Graphite Body (save $100)
X-T2 + XF18-55 (save $100)

X-Pro2 body (save $200)
X-Pro2 Graphite + XF23/2 (save $200)

X-T20 body (save $100)
X-T20 + XF18-55 (save $100)
X-T20 + XC16-50 (save $100)

X-A3 + XC16-50 (save $50)
X-A3 + XC16-50 + XF23/2 (save $100)

Lens Deals

XF18mm (save $50)
XF27mm (save $50)
XF60mm (save $50)
XF35mmF1.4 (save $50)

XF14mm (save $100)
XF 16mm (save $100)
XF23mmF1.4 (save $100)
XF56mm (save $100)
XF90mm (save $100)
XF10-24mm (save $100)
XF55-200mm (save $100)
XF18-135mm (save $100)

XF56mmAPD (save $150)
XF16-55mm (save $150)
XF50-140mm (save $150)
XF100-400mm (save $150)

And unsurprisingly, the discounts aren't that great. I mean they're something, so if you've been holding off, it's money saved... but not groundbreaking savings.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 16, 2017

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i want that 90mm even though i already have the 56 and rarely use it because i'm ~loving stupid~

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Twenty-Seven posted:

i want that 90mm even though i already have the 56 and rarely use it because i'm ~loving stupid~

The 90mm is super situational, but when I am in the situation to be able to pull mine out, ~holy poo poo~

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Fuji deals means people dumping lenses they don't want so they can buy new ones. Watch classifieds for the real deals.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

Fuji deals means people dumping lenses they don't want so they can buy new ones. Watch classifieds for the real deals.
Seriously. This is all just a reminder for me that my gear's been a drawer for months now.

gently caress grad school.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Eh... I'm not sure those are enough discounts to make me pull the trigger. They've been a lot lower on Amazon (according to camelcamelcamel) and I'm not sure I can justify spending a couple of grand on lenses at 10% discount.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

They've been a lot lower on Amazon (according to camelcamelcamel)
All from 2016, IIRC. I don't think we're seeing those XF prices again.

We're seeing some killer GF discounts now though. :getin:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 16, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so say now's the time to buy some lenses and we won't see discounts like there used to be anytime soon. When I bought the X-T20 at the threads recommendations, which I loved, I had asked for feedback on lenses as well. I haven't bought anything, the XF18-55 has been great so far. These were the recommendations:

Fujinon XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Fujinon XF27mmF2.8
Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Fuji X Mount Digital Cameras (Black) (RK12M-FX) - Fixed

I'm basically looking to cover the following use cases: just walking around town, landscape when hiking, the ability to do some "up close" shots (probably not actually macro?) with a shallow depth of field, and maybe something with a bit of reach, but nothing too crazy. I'm still learning, so I apologize for the lovely knowledge on my part.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Here's what I said when you were shopping for your XT-20:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'd honestly just start with the kit and see which direction in the focal range you find yourself wishing you had more of before going all in on covering 10mm to 230mm.
Which end of your 18-55 have you felt limited by so far? Also the 27mm pancake just buys you more portability over the 18-55. Is that an attractive option?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Alright, so say now's the time to buy some lenses and we won't see discounts like there used to be anytime soon. When I bought the X-T20 at the threads recommendations, which I loved, I had asked for feedback on lenses as well. I haven't bought anything, the XF18-55 has been great so far. These were the recommendations:

Fujinon XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Fujinon XF27mmF2.8
Rokinon 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Ultra Wide Angle Lens for Fuji X Mount Digital Cameras (Black) (RK12M-FX) - Fixed

I'm basically looking to cover the following use cases: just walking around town, landscape when hiking, the ability to do some "up close" shots (probably not actually macro?) with a shallow depth of field, and maybe something with a bit of reach, but nothing too crazy. I'm still learning, so I apologize for the lovely knowledge on my part.

I'm not seeing the use case for the Rokinon wide in your list of things to do, I would personally drop it from the list.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, you were super helpful and I am glad I listened to you and others who were saying just stick with the kit lens for now.

The pancake lens was for just doing walkabouts downtown with the camera. I'd like to bring it along more often but it's a bit too heavy and bulky to just randomly bring with me when I'm going somewhere. It's like I only use it when I specifically am going out to use the camera. I was hoping the pancake lens would help with that since a big portion of the weight is the 18-55 lens.

On the ultrawide, I haven't really felt limited but from what I understand it's a pretty nice upgrade for landscape? Or do you think it's not that big of a difference between the 12mm lens and the 18-55mm all the way zoomed out?

On the 55-200mm, there have been times where I haven't been able to zoom in enough with the 18-55mm. Mostly when taking pictures of random wildlife. Not a big deal, but would be cool to have the ability.

Maybe I'd be better served with the Fujinon XF35mmF1.4 R instead of the pancake? It's still small and it's quite fast, so would be better for shallow depth of field?

Anyways, thanks again for the help. I've been lurking this thread and a few others and you guys are all super helpful. I have a better idea on some of the basics now, but "should I have a million lenses" is still a question. I've only used the one I've got. :v:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Twenty-Seven posted:

Get it. Especially if you do portraits. I use both it and my 56mm constantly.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

On the ultrawide, I haven't really felt limited but from what I understand it's a pretty nice upgrade for landscape? Or do you think it's not that big of a difference between the 12mm lens and the 18-55mm all the way zoomed out?

The ultrawide is nice for some things but I find it rare that it goes on my camera often. It's a great lens for when you need it but it wouldn't be my second lens.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Honestly if you want an ultra wide get a used 10-24mm it's on the large size but its superb. I'd say it's better for your purposes than buying a 12 and 27mm. I do love the 27 but it's only real use is being small.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm flying to NC-to-NY in a few weeks and have never traveled with camera equipment before. Should I be OK just tossing my X100S loose into my carry-on and proceeding as normal, or is there some kind of hangup that's going to get my camera seized or fried or something else terrible?

I don't fly much (if you can't tell).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Huxley posted:

I'm flying to NC-to-NY in a few weeks and have never traveled with camera equipment before. Should I be OK just tossing my X100S loose into my carry-on and proceeding as normal, or is there some kind of hangup that's going to get my camera seized or fried or something else terrible?

Carry-on if you want to keep your camera.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Getting a long zoom to cover the upper end of the range and getting a nice prime or pancake as a third lens isn't a bad way to go, I think that's what most people end up doing. It's what I did when I got my first DSLR, and what I did when I got my X-T10. I went with adapting two older lenses (Pentax 55-300 using an adapter that adds an aperture ring, and a Nikkor 50 1.4 with a simple tube adapter) to cover the range without pissing off my wife too much and didn't regret it one second. It's a fantastic feature of mirrorless that can't emphasized enough if you don't mind shooting without autofocus or IS.

I haven't really felt a need to get a fisheye even though I occasionally shoot tight spaces, I'd probably sooner get a 27mm for portability.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired

Huxley posted:

in some asian countries (china for sure) they'd want you to take it out and scan it separately as you would a laptop but for within the US yeah man just throw it in there

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The pancake lens was for just doing walkabouts downtown with the camera. I'd like to bring it along more often but it's a bit too heavy and bulky to just randomly bring with me when I'm going somewhere. It's like I only use it when I specifically am going out to use the camera. I was hoping the pancake lens would help with that since a big portion of the weight is the 18-55 lens.
Maybe I'd be better served with the Fujinon XF35mmF1.4 R instead of the pancake? It's still small and it's quite fast, so would be better for shallow depth of field?
I'd considered the pancake as it is on sale but it also has no aperture ring which is a turn off. I get why, but still. Judging by the name, though, the 35mm you indicate does have one.

Myself, I've been more attracted to the XF 35mm F2 WR instead, not on sale but already priced attractively. It's apparently quite sharp and has fast AF which would be an asset.

I'd get it soon, except I'm feeling more limited by the long end of the kit rather than the wide. I'm zoomed in max all the time for portraits of my 4-month old. Since I'm housebound a lot, the pancake doesn't add a lot of value there just now.

I still need to futz about with the range of the kit, myself. Not sure if anything in 18-55 is really jumping out as "my preferred focal length" that I want to pay more to crisp up or get faster in (right now).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

I fly with camera gear quite regularly. Like the others said, put your expensive and fragile poo poo in your carry on. Make sure your batteries are charged before you go because at some security checks they'll ask you to power it on. Speaking of batteries, if you are carrying spare alkaline batteries then make sure that they are in a battery case and not loose in your bag. You are generally ok with stuff like tripods/monopods in your carry on too as long as it folds up small enough to pass the size limits for bags.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

spog posted:

Carry-on if you want to keep your camera.

And if they ask for volunteers to gate check their bag because it's a full flight, do not do that, not without removing the camera and anything else remotely valuable from it first.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

Myself, I've been more attracted to the XF 35mm F2 WR instead, not on sale but already priced attractively. It's apparently quite sharp and has fast AF which would be an asset.

I really like the XF 35mm F2 WR. The focal length works well for a wide range of situations, and the F2 works well in low light and produces nice bokeh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

8th-snype posted:

Honestly if you want an ultra wide get a used 10-24mm it's on the large size but its superb.
Seconding this. I have the 10-24 and it’s served me really well for landscape and architecture (most of my subjects).

I took the 55-200 on a safari and it performed admirably but I still had to do a lot of cropping in post. It’s my heaviest and least used lens of the three I have.

I like my 35mm 1.4 but you can’t really go wrong with either 35mm. I find that that shooting with a prime lens is more challenging for me (good and bad thing). I keep this on my camera the most, especially for running around the city. I’m considering getting the pancake just to have it even MORE portable.