Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
For all the game's story issues I do think Tolkien would approve of one of the central themes being those who use evil to fight evil, despite the best of intentions, wind up becoming no better than those they oppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

The Iron Rose posted:

How do you upgrade your forts' defences? I've taken two so far, still in Act 2, and can't seem to find the option anywhere.

Go to the army screen, from there hit the button to get to the siege upgrade menu, and your defenses will be on the right hand side. None of the defense upgrades seem all that strong on their own, but once you have them all unlocked they make things a good deal more difficult for attackers and there isn't really anything else to spend the money on anyway.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So there's gear themed after the different tribes right? How do I get it?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Calaveron posted:

So there's gear themed after the different tribes right? How do I get it?

Kill legendary orcs of that tribe.

Dudes who come back or you death threat tend to increase in rarity.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, one of the skills (3rd row, right-most skill?) has an upgrade to increase drop quality from captains, etc.

The skill with the PROSPECTOR upgrade (so its gold)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The most recent captain I tangled with had the epithet "The Complainer". True to his name, everything he said including his combat banter was a complaint. He even complained about me branding him.

I love this game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SettingSun posted:

The most recent captain I tangled with had the epithet "The Complainer". True to his name, everything he said including his combat banter was a complaint. He even complained about me branding him.

I love this game.

I tried to recruit a spear-throwing guy only to find out I was too low level, so I shamed him and he went crazy.

Later on I find him hiding alone in the caves right outside a Burrow and I recruit him. Not only was his banter a bunch of jibberish the 2nd time I met him, but I brought him along on a fort attack and he kept talking about the sun and the moon and having left the tea kettle on the fire.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I love this game.

I had a Complainer, all he ever said was "Stop it" with an occasional "Just stop it" for emphasis. He belted out a downright heroic read of the line the one time he stopped me from getting murked though.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

What's the point installing warchiefs if I just have to fight the overlord 1v1 anyways?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The old Overlord used them and you will need them to fight off attacks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now that I reflect on it does anyone else feel like they spend less time doing sandbox stuff in SoW than in SoM?

Not counting story missions, tutorials and Shadow Wars, I don't think I spent much time actually dicking around with orcs because preparing a fort assault was way easier than removing 5 warchiefs in SoM.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pleads posted:

What's the point installing warchiefs if I just have to fight the overlord 1v1 anyways?

Man 1v1 would have been a pleasure. The last Overlord I fought it was me, him, and the dozen uruk/ologs he war-horned in every few minutes. He was a beastmaster too so summoning didn't help me.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 16, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

The old Overlord used them and you will need them to fight off attacks.

When/how do those trigger? I did the story one where Bruz backstabs you afterwards but haven't had any more. I feel like putting warchiefs in is a huge trap because they won't level at all and while I'd want to put my favorite orcs into warchief positions, then I can't see/play with them during the rest of the game.

e: vvvv Yeah, loving javelin orcs are about the fastest way to gently caress me up while I'm trying to do poo poo since it feels like their "firing!" indicators are off-screen or hidden behind the UI half the time.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 16, 2017

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Post story spoilers

I miss Celebrimbro shouting SUFFER ME NOW and poo poo whenever I grab an orc :( Talion needs his own spooky lines instead of just kinda... growling or whatever at orcs. Maybe let Shelob speak through him! Give him spider powers! Let him sling a web to bounce around the place. Add a web effect to the frost punch attack. Counter attacks by stuffing a spider in an orc's mouth. FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH CELEBRIMBRO, NOW SHELOB IS MY BEST FRIEND.

Non story business and game griping:

Holy heck projectile orcs need a loving cool down, I've lost count of how many times I've been stunlocked by some rear end in a top hat lobbing spears at me or dunking bombs at my feet.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Also, I don't know if I am loving it up constantly or if SoW has a very different understanding of what a slide tackle is than I do. When I am running it says hold RT to Slide tackle enemies, which I expect to cause Talion to drop and slide feet first into the enemies legs, knocking them down, e.g.
like this.

This does not happen, most often nothing at all happens, but a few times Talion has dived headfirst at the enemy, knocking them to the ground and ending up on top of them. It's so inconsistent though I am normally just too surprised anything happened to reflect on what I was doing.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 16, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you hold RB while running you'll diving tackle them. You can tap RB to shoulder-check dudes too. To slide, you need to tap RT instead of holding it, since holding it puts you into stealth.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Darkrenown posted:

So I got to act 2 at last, and loving lol: Yay I got the New ring back, now I replace it with the first random rune/ring to drop from a loser captain because it is very much better. They could have just given me a Rune slot and let the Ring be it's own thing....

uh they did

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

They should have named the "Ring" slot "Rune" because it really seems like you're just tossing the new ring for some orcs cock ring

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Just picked up this game, I'm sure its been asked before but I want to be played on the harder difficulty, yes? The first one was way too easy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Just picked up this game, I'm sure its been asked before but I want to be played on the harder difficulty, yes? The first one was way too easy.

Just start on Nemesis, you can change the difficulty whenever you want anyways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Depends on how good you are at Arkham style combat. The game's normal difficulty is moderately more difficult than Shadow of Mordor and it scales up from there. Nemesis can be incredibly punishing.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Lexorin posted:

They should have named the "Ring" slot "Rune" because it really seems like you're just tossing the new ring for some orcs cock ring

It's called Ringcraft, and all the items you pick up for it are Runes of ____, so they kinda did. The most confusing part is that the symbol for the runes is a ring.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
So I lost to a big Olog last night and he broke my best sword. Upon respawn it said “Hey dummy you died and your sword broke but don’t worry, if you beat him again during your Vendetta, you can re-make that sword even better than before!” I was made less sad by that message and went over to the Olog and promptly whooped up on him and waited for my “here is how you re-forge your sword” message — nothing. No mention of it was ever raised again. Did they forget to build that mechanics or did I mess something up?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

he1ixx posted:

So I lost to a big Olog last night and he broke my best sword. Upon respawn it said “Hey dummy you died and your sword broke but don’t worry, if you beat him again during your Vendetta, you can re-make that sword even better than before!” I was made less sad by that message and went over to the Olog and promptly whooped up on him and waited for my “here is how you re-forge your sword” message — nothing. No mention of it was ever raised again. Did they forget to build that mechanics or did I mess something up?

Its just put back into your inventory once you kill him.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Zore posted:

Its just put back into your inventory once you kill him.

I’ll take a look. I did see a new level 25 sword in there but it was Plain Jane “white” rarity and had none of the poison stuff on it. I’ll look again though. Thanks.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

DreamShipWrecked posted:

When I first started, having been one of the (typical, due to how easy it was) Gods of the first game but rusty as hell from not having played in forever, Nemesis gave me a really hard time. Now at level 20, I've gotten back into the flow of things enough, levelled up enough, and learned the quirks of the new system enough that I only die when I do something dumb. I hit a major milestone last night when I managed to kill a captain by accident, having set out with the intent of Branding him; he was a bit weaker to Poison damage than I expected.

Start on Nemesis, but pace yourself in the early fights. Don't expect to go gunning after level 15 captains at level 1 with any realistic odds of success.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

So much poo poo happening here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxfZtgooFE4

I had no idea your Bodyguard could be taken hostage, but even more hilarious is how Bruz shows up to say "hey, I know this is a hostage crisis, BUT DID YOU KNOW, ABOUT THE ARMY SCREEN" at 4 minutes in

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Man, I've been at the start of Act 2 for ~4/5 hours now ("Dominate captains to begin your assault" or whatever) because:

1) There are a bunch of orcs higher level than me, and when I fight/defeat them all I can do is shame them, then they gently caress off. Then I have to find them again, and when I do, another rear end in a top hat high-level orc captain is hanging out with them 95% of the time, and either I get killed by THAT guy or the lower-level guy dies as collateral damage in the fight. Go back to start.

2) I finally manage to shame, track down AND brand a low-level guy! Yay!

3) He goes insane and/or betrays me and then gets killed (by me or other animals/orcs) while I was trying to get another orc. Go back to start.

It's funny in a perverse sort of way.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Capn Beeb posted:

Post story spoilers
I miss Celebrimbro shouting SUFFER ME NOW and poo poo whenever I grab an orc :( Talion needs his own spooky lines instead of just kinda... growling or whatever at orcs. Maybe let Shelob speak through him! Give him spider powers! Let him sling a web to bounce around the place. Add a web effect to the frost punch attack. Counter attacks by stuffing a spider in an orc's mouth. FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH CELEBRIMBRO, NOW SHELOB IS MY BEST FRIEND.

This is really bugging me too.

I hate how dead silent the game becomes. I also am already getting tired of the green filter for all the powers and abilities (except the glaive, the nazgul glaive looks cool). Like I get it is part of the story but the game just became a notch less enjoyable.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I definitely had to just play as some kind of guerilla rear end in a top hat for a long time on Nemesis, because there's no fuckin way I was able to go to-to-toe with captains being backed up by the 50-man scrub orc brigade tossing 5 javelins and 3 olog fists at me per second. The real turnaround was getting the ability to brand dudes on the ground, which I didn't pick up for ages since I initially went for the much weaker wraith shield + fatal counters combo. The Might skill that lets you immediately brand multiple orcs is similarly very helpful. Makes it about a million times easier to heal, and your additional orcbuds do a good job of taking the heat off you.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I got two pieces of the Vengeance set, which lets you do Might moves even if you don't have Might at a health cost.

I wear them any time I go recruiting, because it really sucks to finally "break" a captain just to have him flee or get killed and I couldn't drain him in combat because I lacked the Might to do it instantly or the time to do it the long way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ConfusedUs posted:

I got two pieces of the Vengeance set, which lets you do Might moves even if you don't have Might at a health cost.

I wear them any time I go recruiting, because it really sucks to finally "break" a captain just to have him flee or get killed and I couldn't drain him in combat because I lacked the Might to do it instantly or the time to do it the long way.

How does this interact with combat drain?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah, having a guy broken and just not managing to land that final brand is the worst. Fortunately somewhere around level 30-ish you unlock a spec for the dominate skill that allows you to brand dudes way faster, taking less than a second. Combine it with the spec that turns drains into brands, and you can snipe broken captains and beasts from a distance even in the middle of a giant brawl no problem.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 16, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I just realized, what happens if you use that set to Drain someone and also have the Drain skill that gives you full health? Or even just wear items that increase your health recovery per drain? Is that basically just a way to never, ever die as long as there is a grunt around? poo poo, if so I'd totally avoided using the Vengeance set because I didn't want to accidentally murder myself executing some idiot peon. Also, if you pick up the "drain captains faster" upgrade to the "pick up items immediately" skill, it seems like Broken captains get drained about as Worms, and that works nicely with the Dominate upgrade to Drain. Speaking of which, I really don't like how some skills seem like they want you to just switch out upgrades all the time. Its a pain to switch between the various elemental effects depending on enemy type, or switching between the Dominate and Elf-shot steal depending on my ammo.

Vargs posted:

I definitely had to just play as some kind of guerilla rear end in a top hat for a long time on Nemesis, because there's no fuckin way I was able to go to-to-toe with captains being backed up by the 50-man scrub orc brigade tossing 5 javelins and 3 olog fists at me per second. The real turnaround was getting the ability to brand dudes on the ground, which I didn't pick up for ages since I initially went for the much weaker wraith shield + fatal counters combo. The Might skill that lets you immediately brand multiple orcs is similarly very helpful. Makes it about a million times easier to heal, and your additional orcbuds do a good job of taking the heat off you.
The what-now? I've been using the ground takedown shield skill too because I've been holding on to that wraith shield so much. How do you ever finish a ground execution? Or does ground drain have more I-frames?

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
So, I think my previous game bled into the current one. I started a new game on Nemesis difficulty. Got to act two, recruited Bruz. Am prepping for the first fort assault when who appears with a "cheated death" message?

(end of act 2 spoiler)
Bruz the Chopper. And he's level forty to my level 12, and bears the mark of the shame-branding.

:wtf:

He didn't even drop loot.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 16, 2017

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ravenfood posted:

I just realized, what happens if you use that set to Drain someone and also have the Drain skill that gives you full health? Or even just wear items that increase your health recovery per drain? Is that basically just a way to never, ever die as long as there is a grunt around? poo poo, if so I'd totally avoided using the Vengeance set because I didn't want to accidentally murder myself executing some idiot peon.

I have no loving idea. Sometimes I use it drain/brand with no might and go immediately to full health. Sometimes it seems to knock off the appropriate 40% of my health. I really don't know why it doesn't seem consistent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jack Trades posted:

I think that they're under impression that they have to have a AAA story to be able to sell the game but the core gameplay of Shadow of just doesn't work with that kind of scripted storytelling.

It's a real loving shame that they are going for a contained 50-60 hours experience instead of an endless(ish) sandbox type of game.
Because you can slap a barebones overworld strategy mechanic on top of SoW and turn it into an absolutely amazing time waster game.

true but DOOM 2016 had a fun and good story, but it was only there if you wanted it and didnt intrude.

and the shadow of X are great games to listen to podcasts too.

Sky Shadowing posted:

For all the game's story issues I do think Tolkien would approve of one of the central themes being those who use evil to fight evil, despite the best of intentions, wind up becoming no better than those they oppose.

pretty much. i think the game holds true to that core theme well enough. i personally think the story is passable enough.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cheers all, I'll give it a shot on Nemesis and pull back if I have to :darksouls:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So I'm confused. (haven't bought the game yet but played the last one)

Everybody keeps talking about how orcs keep coming back from the dead over and over again. Is there any surefire way of getting rid of an ork or is it just random whether or not they stay dead?

vvv edit: ok cool thanks

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm confused. (haven't bought the game yet but played the last one)

Everybody keeps talking about how orcs keep coming back from the dead over and over again. Is there any surefire way of getting rid of an ork or is it just random whether or not they stay dead?

It's random.

• Locked thread