Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ads are really awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

are there any relatively new recommended adblockers for ios. i still have "crystal" and "purify" which i installed like within the first week and never thought about them again

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wasn't purify the thing we used, at great expense, before valgrind became a thing?

(also ads are bad)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Linguica posted:

are there any relatively new recommended adblockers for ios. i still have "crystal" and "purify" which i installed like within the first week and never thought about them again

firefox focus is free and very good (they all use the same lists afaik)
it also tries to be a browser or something but just ignore that and keep using safari

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

on android it's webkit

nah, they reversed it completely with ios8. any webview uses the fast js engine, but ad blockers are still exclusive to safariviews, which alternate browsers won't have.

ah didnt know that

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

1blocker is the mega sperg dream (my dream) with toggles for every entry and icloud sync them and custom filters and a safari plugin that lets you select visual items to filter

it costs a few bucks per platform but syncs between macos and ios so you can get spergy on the desktop and use it mobile

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

in classic ad news, i found some old issues of comm arts while cleaning my basement, one was unopened so i get to see vintage new ads hand selected for quality

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Print ads are sometimes cool and good

Video ads in any media are the great Satan

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

can advertisers create art?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the herding cats super bowl ad is high art

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
old spice ads are kind of entertaining i guess

remember when the budweiser frogs were a cultural phenomenon :shepface:

it was about the same time reality was closest to tom goes to the mayor and fukkengrüven was a cool bumper sticker to have on your jetta iirc

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

wassuuuuuup

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

imo budweiser frog ad was a ripoff of this classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH9RruF0ONU&t=158s

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

BONGHITZ posted:

can you?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

the sherman williams paint swatch commercials are a pretty clever idea

i wouldn't call it art, but they're still cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGE2GK4gMOA

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

there were no jobs before ads

before ads we didn't have agriculture

nomads searching the lands for things to buy

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

AtomD posted:

ive uninstalled my adblocker because of this thread

phase 2

make ads

you can skip this phase of you use social media

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

humanize yourself and face to adblock+not using social media

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
ads are a cancer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector posted:

in classic ad news, i found some old issues of comm arts while cleaning my basement, one was unopened so i get to see vintage new ads hand selected for quality

so i opened it an lol yospos bithc

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

(its actually a really interesting article about cuban design and the cover is about how modern companies were starting to make their way into cuba in the early 00s)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

bonus points to the poster who finds robofrog or dinosaur video card ad scan in a magazine

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

im sure it will be in a magazine like this

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

quote:

Facebook Tests Letting Marketers Scour Posts and Comments

Facebook is experimenting with letting brands study people's posts and comments on the network in an effort to better inform their marketing.

The beta test, an extension of Facebook's Audience Insights API marketing tech platform, isn't expected to be widely available until next year, according to people familiar with the offering who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss something Facebook hasn't announced yet. Early ad partners, which include top agencies and media companies, are searching Facebook's vast history of public posts to see what topics, themes, brands and products are being discussed. Users' identities are withheld.

http://adage.com/article/digital/facebook/310888/

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

quote:

Facebook Is Looking for Employees With National Security Clearances

Facebook Inc. is looking to hire people who have national security clearances, a move the company thinks is necessary to prevent foreign powers from manipulating future elections through its social network, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Workers with such clearance can access information classified by the U.S. government. Facebook plans to use these people -- and their ability to receive government information about potential threats -- to search more proactively for questionable social media campaigns ahead of elections, according to the person, who asked not to be identified because the information is sensitive. A Facebook spokesman declined to comment.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-16/facebook-is-said-to-seek-staff-with-national-security-clearance

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

wait. they couldn't do that already? what the gently caress have they been paying for?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

wait. they couldn't do that already? what the gently caress have they been paying for?

i think facebook does its own analysis of the posts and then sells ads by saying "we can reach 10,000 women in kentucky making $80,000 or more a year who like horses and bourbon", but that's all the client sees.

this sounds like now if you're a Preferred Ad Partner you can get access to the content itself

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I knew ad people were stupid but I didn't realize they were stupid enough to buy ads placement so blindly.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

it's not blind even with the current configuration they can target groups of a specificity around ~<1000 people (iirc)

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I have never been able to figure out why AdSense claims my pageviews / impressions seesaw like crazy

it seems periodic but the period doesn't line up with anything! it doesn't rise / drop the same amount over the course of a week and the period visibly changes anyway!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

do they not realise it's the users not the employees who post breitbart links

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

bout time someone put the right video card in a laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ck5RbTQj28

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

AtomD posted:

ive uninstalled my adblocker because of this thread

enjoy your malvertising

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

maskenfreiheit posted:

enjoy your malvertising

lol maybe if ur on android

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

besides, adblock is already part of the browser, everybody has their own ad fiefdom because free market

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

its going to be like buying ads on tv all over agian where you have to buy per browser

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pagancow posted:

bout time someone put the right video card in a laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ck5RbTQj28

cool ad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nice specs but idk about that price tag

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮