Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do you think Sisko is sweaty... because of the fires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Still think they should call it "The Deepest Nine" now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CPColin posted:

Still think they should call it "The Deepest Nine" now.
Or the Greatest Nine

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
As mentioned on that Greatest Gen episode, the last segment of this episode of This Old House is the one with the visit to the Motown Museum: https://www.thisoldhouse.com/watch/detroit-windows-detroit

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I'm irrationally irritated that they name dropped the Klingon D-7 and that ship clearly wasn't one. Then later they call it a Bird of Prey.

The D-7 is one of my favorite classic ships. Have a little respect, Discovery.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I'm gonna need recommendations for which episodes in seasons 6 and 7 of TNG to watch. I'm looking for ones that are famously good, notoriously bad, have continuity with other episodes, or are otherwise notable or "must-watch" in some way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I'm gonna need recommendations for which episodes in seasons 6 and 7 of TNG to watch. I'm looking for ones that are famously good, notoriously bad, have continuity with other episodes, or are otherwise notable or "must-watch" in some way.

Good/fun episodes:
Relics
Chain of Command
Face of the Enemy
Tapestry
Second Chances
Timescape
Phantasms
Pegasus
Lower Decks
All Good Things

Episodes with continuity:
The Chase
Rightful Heir
Descent
Firstborn
Preemptive Strike

Wtf:
Rascals
Masks
Genesis
Sub Rosa

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
No Lessons? A bad list.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd put The Chase on the list of good and fun episodes. Good character moments for Picard, lots of charismatic aliens, kind of a weird finale but it's a fun ride.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Oh, I forgot Parallels. That ones right on the line between "good/fun" and "wtf"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Data's painting is making me dizzy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Ship in a Bottle is great and is a good callback to the best parts of early TNG

Frame of Mind is legit excellent

Schisms has the rape table and is also good and weird

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You're not giving up on the full run, are you?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Man, I'd suggest just watching all of season 6 at the very least, but if you're looking to compress things, I suppose this might work. I not sure how much I whittled things down, so I put asterisks next to the ones you need to watch.

Season Six

*Time's Arrow, Part II (well, duh)
Realm of Fear (standard ep, but a good Barclay one)
*Relics (a classic)
*Schisms (great mindfuck episode)
True Q (Not the best Q episode, but a different take on the character)
*Chain of Command, Part I
*Chain of Command, Part II (a must watch; fantastic performances from Patrick Stewart, Ronny Cox, and David Warner, and sets up some of DS9)
*Face of the Enemy (probably the best Troi episode)
*Tapestry (another must-watch, and a total classic)
*Starship Mine (the first appearance of action-hero Picard, but better handled than the movies)
Lessons (alright if you like Picard romances)
*The Chase (good Trekky fun)
*Frame of Mind (a good mindfuck)
Suspicions (a fun mystery)
*Timescape (great temporal nonsense)

Season Seven
*Phantasms (Data goes nuts)
Inheritance (A good episode for Data's history)
*Parallels (great sf premise, and a fun bit of misery for Worf)
*The Pegasus (really good Riker episode)
*Sub Rosa (if we had to watch this, you do too)
*Lower Decks (a look at a side of the Enterprise's crew we rarely see)
Thine Own Self (not entirely essential, but good for Data and Troi)
*Masks (y'all like Aztec bullshit? Well y'all are gonna get some Aztec bullshit!)
Eye of the Beholder (a nice Troi mystery that gets a bit mindscrewy)
Genesis (a delightful mess, and proof that Brannon Braga doesn't understand biology)
Firstborn (worth watching if you hate Alexander)
Emergence (another weird sf one)
*Preemptive Strike (a farewell to Ro, and sets up some stuff for Voyager that was never used)
*All Good Things... (duh, and it's also the best TNG movie)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm pretty sure all of season 6 is good enough to watch and there's a few stinkers in 7 but the drop in quality isn't really as bad as people often say, it's just that its not as good as previous seasons overall but still has a bunch of really really good episodes.

Although at season 7 you need to start watching DS9 and watch every episode by airdate!!!!!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mortanis posted:

I'm irrationally irritated that they name dropped the Klingon D-7 and that ship clearly wasn't one. Then later they call it a Bird of Prey.

The D-7 is one of my favorite classic ships. Have a little respect, Discovery.

Discovery is the kind of show that thinks a few easter eggs are respectable while it's ruining the souffle.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Dude, no way you lasted through seasons 1 and 2 but you're tapping out now.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Yesterday's episode of DIS has been one of the Star Trekkiest one of the bunch so far. I'm still hesitant to pass judgment on the series as a whole, but I'm feeling a bit more optimistic about it. Five episodes in and I already like DIS way more than I liked ENT after five episodes, but that's not exactly a high bar to clear.

Michael Burnham still unsympathetic as hell though. Just start a spinoff series starring Saru, Stamets, and Sassy Doctor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah it's weird how much trek trivia shows up in discovery while the core curriculum isn't covered.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's weird how much trek trivia shows up in discovery while the core curriculum isn't covered.

:drat:

No but seriously, my wife and I liked the last one a lot. There's some serious science geeking-out (including an F-bomb!!!!), a tough moral question (they eventually come around to the right answer) , and some decent action. Plus, Rainn Wilson as Mudd was solid - I hope by his next appearance he's shaved the beard and rocks that massive 'stache.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Tilly's gently caress was stupid, but Stamets's "No, you're right, it is loving cool" was even worse. Scene should have ended with Stamets kickflipping his skateboard as he Poochies off into the corridor.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Apollodorus posted:

Rainn Wilson as Mudd was solid

Two questions:

1) Did somebody put his phaser in some Jell-O?
2) Did he run out of frame while calling out, "Michael!?"

If so, I might give the series another chance.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

You're not giving up on the full run, are you?

It's fine, based on the recommendations I'm going to be watching most episodes anyway. And if there's any that anybody particularly wants my thoughts on folks can just post them and I'll include them (but you can't just say "all of them" or any tricks like that)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Y'all are leaving out Birthright parts 1 and 2 from your recommendations to Jeb. Sure they're not exactly great episodes, but I've always liked them if only for the way Worf finds a colony of Klingons who were raised by Romulans and don't know the first thing about their native culture so he gets to indoctrinate them with his own hosed up interpretation of Klingon culture. Also one of the very few TNG-DS9 crossover eps.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

"Gambit" is sort of weak sauce but I feel it would make for entertaining commentary.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tilly's gently caress was stupid, but Stamets's "No, you're right, it is loving cool" was even worse. Scene should have ended with Stamets kickflipping his skateboard as he Poochies off into the corridor.

True. As much as it might give Orville a boost by having its characters swear, here it just sounded out of place.

Still, this is the first time we are actually made to care for the characters in the show and that's some kind of achievement given how much I dislike them from before. I still think Lorca is mostly an rear end and probably a Bond villain and Tilly is still just as terrible, but Michael at least wasn't horrid this time and Saru continues to rock. having to go through 4 episodes to get to an actual good one is a real shame (and the writing is still stilted as all heck) but at least I don't completely hate everyone on board anymore.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Michael barely did anything in this episode and it's the best one. I like the actress but I'm not sure her arrogant and brooding character has much juice.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Michael got some decent development this episode, realising that emotions are worthwhile and all.
Stammers really redeemed himself here and the doctor might be one of my favourites so far? I'm agreeing that Saru is the best though.

They are really pushing the villain angle with the captain though! I hope they push this quickly rather than festering the whole season.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The Mudd we saw in TOS was Harry after he'd retired from the game.
We're at Peak Mudd, here. He's young and angry and very good at being a weasel.
But we know he gets out. So where will he pop up next?

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 17, 2017

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Moriatti posted:

They are really pushing the villain angle with the captain though! I hope they push this quickly rather than festering the whole season.

Imagine a world where they just push that poo poo right through, dump Lorca out into space, and make Saru the captain within the next two episodes. I'd live in that world.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

It's fairly clear they have a team whose sole job it is is to insert a bunch of trivia into the script and screens after they're done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

It's fairly clear they have a team whose sole job it is is to insert a bunch of trivia into the script and screens after they're done.
I noticed several known planet locations on the map when they were looking at where the Klingon prison ship might be. Included Khitomer, Rura Penthe, Mempa, and Acamar (a system from a TNG episode). There may have been more but part of it was cut off.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
The TNG/DS9 Maquis arc goes:
  • Journey's End (TNG)
  • The Maquis I & II (DS9)
  • Preemptive Strike (TNG)
And then you get into DS9 Season 3.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Too bad they didn't invest that much effort in a team of good writing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Outrageous Okana is on tv.

Edit: Holy poo poo the last scene with Data telling jokes on the bridge is straight out of Orville. :swoon:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 17, 2017

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Too bad they didn't invest that much effort in a team of good writing.

"The Mirror Universe literally involves mirrors, right?" -A question asked in the Discovery writers' room, probably.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

XboxPants posted:

Imagine a world where they just push that poo poo right through, dump Lorca out into space, and make Saru the captain within the next two episodes. I'd live in that world.

This right here is where the timeline will split into the Trek prime and mirror universes.

Edit: I mean right here in 2017 as it is released.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Was this last episode supposed to be allegorical to the “puzzle” of Encounter At Farpoint? Because that would rule if it was intentional.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doggles posted:

"The Mirror Universe literally involves mirrors, right?" -A question asked in the Discovery writers' room, probably.

Man I hope not. DIS is way too young and takes itself too seriously to be able to do the Mirror Universe properly.

But I guess that won’t stop them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mirror Burnham better have a goatee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

But Data’s “oh poo poo” was totally cool.