Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Dead post storage, please hold.

I think it's about time for a new thread, that post but is annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

frajaq posted:

How much did they spend on purchasing the Fallout IP again?

$5.75 million. I swear I answered this and it went into the ether.
https://www.dailytech.com/Bethesda+Buys+Fallout+Rights+from+Interplay+for+575M/article6947.htm

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ulmont posted:

$5.75 million. I swear I answered this and it went into the ether.

Yeah, thread's dying and the last post of every page is lost. It's why it always looks like there's an unread post.

And that figure really is a pittance. As you'd expect from businessman extraordinaire Herve Caen.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rinkles posted:

And that figure really is a pittance. As you'd expect from businessman extraordinaire Herve Caen.

Supposedly Interplay valued the total rights at $50 million but thought most of the value was in a potential MMORPG.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

ulmont posted:

Supposedly Interplay valued the total rights at $50 million but thought most of the value was in a potential MMORPG.

:roflolmao:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Never forget.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Uhhh, guys. We are talking about the people that brought us loving horse armour. Thinking these aren't money-grubbing bastards is insane; that's the nature of capitalism but this company especially has that in their hearts.

I think horse armour can finally loving die as the end-all, be-all of 'bad game monetization example' when we live in the era of loving paid lootboxes in 60 dollar single player games.

I'd -prefer- horse armour to 'grind for hours for your ending, or gamble in one of our real-money loot boxes for it!'

edit: Actually thinking about it, it's just the earliest of paid skins. Nerds still get so mad about a paid skin in an 11 year old game while dumping a paycheck on OW for the latest seasonal limited release.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 17, 2017

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Hey guys I hadn't played any videogames in years until I got fallout 4 a week ago. I really like it, but I wish there were more puzzles or opportunities to use your brain to find new solutions.

I still really like being a sneaky-shooty man and this game is scratching an itch I didn't know I had
:-)

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Horse armor definitely was pretty tame as far as bad dlc goes. It was like a dollar too much, and even then it wasn't all that bad since you got a free horse with it. Hell, the rest of the cheap dlc from Oblivion is probably some of the best cheap dlc ever made since they were almost all really cool player homes that had unique features based on playstyle, and unique secrets to discover.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tweet my meat posted:

Horse armor definitely was pretty tame as far as bad dlc goes. It was like a dollar too much, and even then it wasn't all that bad since you got a free horse with it. Hell, the rest of the cheap dlc from Oblivion is probably some of the best cheap dlc ever made since they were almost all really cool player homes that had unique features based on playstyle, and unique secrets to discover.

It became a punchline because it was one of the first attempts to sell what we would now recognize as DLC. What's worse, it was a really shallow cosmetic thing that was being sold to a community that was used to stuff like that being small free mods and, worse, there being huge mods that did much more while still being free.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The companions in fallout 4 deserve to be in a better game. Even with my criticisms of how shallow most of FO4 is the companions were mostly done quite well, with Hancock, Danse and Nick being the standouts.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Danse is far and away the best imo. Fallout 4's story as a whole kind of sucks, but the BOS plot with Danse is probably the best writing of all the faction quests. I think Caits would be a lot more fun if it was inspired more by Raul's story in New Vegas, where you got the choice to have Raul put his past behind him and stop run and gunning, or go full gunslinger. With Cait, your only choice is to have Cait put her past behind her, or to not do the quest at all, which is lame.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Horse armor was also one of the first instances of on-disc dlc, back before day one dlc was even a thing.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Reality Winner posted:

Horse armor was also one of the first instances of on-disc dlc, back before day one dlc was even a thing.
It wasn't?
It's more then a decade ago now, so I could be misremembering, but all of Oblivion's DLCs were your basic plugin + asset archive (just like the DLCs or mods for all of the Beth-engine games) that you originally would have to buy from Bethesda's own store page or Direct2Drive.
It was included on the disc of the Knights of the Nine retail and GotY/Deluxe releases though.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Yeah I'm pretty sure Horse Armor wasn't on disc. Honestly other than the Horse Armor and the Orrery, Oblivion probably had one of the best spreads of dlc ever now that I think about it. From the small stuff like the homes and Mehrune's Razor to the more expensive full expansions, everything was well crafted and incredibly fun, varying mostly in scale rather than quality, and you had a full range of prices from a dollar to twenty depending on what you were looking to pay.

I always wished Bethesda would follow that dlc model again, and they came kinda close with FO4, though they all tended to run a little bit too expensive for my tastes and the cheap stuff was all workshop related which a lot of people dislike.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Fallout 4 DLC status: Still 50 loving dollars for the Season Pass, "sale" is at 40% like always.

Remember when New Vegas had new full story DLCs for like $10, and they regularly went on sale for about $5?

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, I was just noticing that myself. I'd like to play Far Harbor some day, and maybe Nuka World.... but I'll be damned if I'm paying around 30 bucks for 'em.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

King Vidiot posted:

Fallout 4 DLC status: Still 50 loving dollars for the Season Pass, "sale" is at 40% like always.

Remember when New Vegas had new full story DLCs for like $10, and they regularly went on sale for about $5?

Eh, for 19 pounds I'm willing to take the plunge. I might actually do something more with a settlement than just a shed with a Power Armour in...

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
It looks like the game made it back to the top sellers list on Steam so there's not much reason to discount it further. Not until the next installment comes along anyway. I see people are getting extra salty in the reviews section though.

~$60 for the game and all DLC isn't a terrible deal. $45 for just the DLC isn't all that great though...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Reminder that you don't need to buy ALL the DLC. If you don't care about extra poo poo for making buildings Far Harbor is really the only one worth buying. The robot one (Automatron or something like that?) has an OK story and building robots is cool enough that it might be worth it too.

I'd say Far Harbor is worth the $15 that it's at right now

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Far harbor is definitely worth $15, but still just wait until they all go on sale for 40% off or whatever. I got all the DLC for $30 which ain't bad.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Far Harbor is definitely the one to go for - Not that there is a whole lot of choice which was kind of a disappointment. Nuka-World isn't bad but if you aren't interested in raiding then you miss out on a major component. Having a theme park full of raiders to butcher and that bitchin' Quantum paint job on the X-01 suit are fun though. Even if the X-01 breaks the canon story behind it from FO2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Reminder that you don't need to buy ALL the DLC. If you don't care about extra poo poo for making buildings Far Harbor is really the only one worth buying. The robot one (Automatron or something like that?) has an OK story and building robots is cool enough that it might be worth it too.

I'd say Far Harbor is worth the $15 that it's at right now

You don't have to buy the DLC but that won't stop nexus modders from making non DLC dependent versions of certain mods. You can't use the current unofficial patch without the DLC for example.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Right now Steam is having a weekend sale: $15 for the base game, $41 for GotY, $30 for the "season pass".

I'd say grab the pass if you haven't. Nuka World and Fah Hahbah are each worth $15, so you're sorta getting the others as a bonus.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah I just posted about that. $30 is still way too much IMO for the Season Pass, $15-20 and I might consider it just to revisit the game but otherwise gently caress that and gently caress Bethesda.

Except when I buy the new Wolfenstein and they'll still get my money cause I'm a hypocrite like that

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I noticed that Fallout 4 GOTY is on sale for $40 on the XBox. I own it already on the PS4, but I’ve heard the mod support is much better on the XBox. Mods are cool, though I don’t go overboard with them. Is the mod support on the XBox so much better that it’s worth buying the game again? The consoles are an XBox 1s and a PS4 Pro, if that matters.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bob Socko posted:

I noticed that Fallout 4 GOTY is on sale for $40 on the XBox. I own it already on the PS4, but I’ve heard the mod support is much better on the XBox. Mods are cool, though I don’t go overboard with them. Is the mod support on the XBox so much better that it’s worth buying the game again? The consoles are an XBox 1s and a PS4 Pro, if that matters.

I'd think not, but that depends on how much time you've already sunk into the game. The big difference with the Xbox version is that modders can upload original assets; scripting is still fairly limited I think. In my case (hundreds of hours on PS4) I'll probably eventually rebuy it on PC to play around with larger overhauls. Not at this price, though.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Buying BethSoft Gamebryo Creation Engine games on anything but PC is something I would consider a mistake.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like an option to be a raider in the early game would have been an interesting counterpart to the main story of joining the Minutemen and resettling the Commonwealth, but becoming a raider at endgame just to fight the settlements you personally built just doesn't make sense to me.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Sinteres posted:

I feel like an option to be a raider in the early game would have been an interesting counterpart to the main story of joining the Minutemen and resettling the Commonwealth, but becoming a raider at endgame just to fight the settlements you personally built just doesn't make sense to me.

Fun, yeah, but it wouldn't really make sense. You're on a quest to find your kidnapped son, then you stop to enslave everyone?

(Of course, when you look at it that way, it doesn't make sense in the late game either, unless you've already 'won'.)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sinteres posted:

It would have been, but Nuka World doesn't really make that possible sadly. Since you can't even get there before level 25, the whole Raider thing just means you're attacking settlements you loving built. I mean, it could have been done in a cool manner as an alternate playthough, having the PC get flat out kidnapped by raiders if you went to the monorail before you could take the quest...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

It would have been, but Nuka World doesn't really make that possible sadly. Since you can't even get there before level 25, the whole Raider thing just means you're attacking settlements you loving built. I mean, it could have been done in a cool manner as an alternate playthough, having the PC get flat out kidnapped by raiders if you went to the monorail before you could take the quest...

There are no level restrictions for Nuka World.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

There are no level restrictions for Nuka World.

Aren't there? I thought the radio signal that starts All Aboard wasn't available until 25. I could be wrong, though, I only ran through that expansion once.

Edit:

"The quest can be started prior to level 30, by traveling to the Nuka-World transit center. While the Gunners outside of the terminal are leveled to the player character, Kaylor will still be around level 38 at a minimum and may pose a significant threat."

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
As your edit mentioned you can travel to Nuka-World at any time but unlike a lot of the Commonwealth the enemies around the transit station as well as in Nuka-World itself do not scale. So if you decide to run there fresh out of the Vault you will be in for one hell of a fight.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that's why I thought it was level capped. I don't go anywhere near there usually, and the expansion wasn't compelling enough to run twice for me. I'd rather be building bases.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

There's a playthrough (probably more now) on YouTube completing the entire dlc, start to finish, with a fresh level 1 character.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nm

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Base game is on Steam sale for :20bux: right now if you're just lurking and somehow care about this game but don't have it yet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

That's without going into Bethesda's obsession with the Fallout 'aesthetic' being the goddamn SoCal desert, and having Boston (which still gets weather) being nothing but flat brown, half-naked settlers, and roofs/walls full of holes on your best available building materials.
From a few pages back, but this is one thing that Fallout 4 didn't really do that wrong. It looks exactly like Boston in winter when there's no snow. Fallout 3 was a desert for absolutely no reason, but for Fallout 4 I could totally buy it as a snowless winter.

Seasons and/or greenery would have been nice, but a bleak eternal winter was a pretty beautiful, well done aesthetic.

Rereading your post I realized you're more criticizing the holes in the roof and lack of insulation/clothing in a place where a fair bit of rain and snow are to be expected, and I actually agree with that, but I still want to give Bethesda props for the landscape, if nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Eiba posted:

From a few pages back, but this is one thing that Fallout 4 didn't really do that wrong. It looks exactly like Boston in winter when there's no snow. Fallout 3 was a desert for absolutely no reason, but for Fallout 4 I could totally buy it as a snowless winter.

Seasons and/or greenery would have been nice, but a bleak eternal winter was a pretty beautiful, well done aesthetic.

Rereading your post I realized you're more criticizing the holes in the roof and lack of insulation/clothing in a place where a fair bit of rain and snow are to be expected, and I actually agree with that, but I still want to give Bethesda props for the landscape, if nothing else.

Yeah, the 'feel' of the land really struck me as well. I don't live near Boston but fall in southern Ontario is very close and the world in FO4 when you emerge from the Vault feels very, very familiar. Especially when it's overcast.

I imagine global nuclear war has sufficiently screwed up the weather that it could realistically be explained that it doesn't snow any more but seasons are still something Bethesda, and I suspect the Gamebryo engine as a whole, struggles with. But at least they now have weather working so it's not eternal sunshine like Oblivion. Obsidian did get rain to work somewhat properly in Honest Hearts but I don't recall any other game from that era including anything but night/day. And maybe fog.

It is an entirely different argument for why people haven't figured out how to make bricks or concrete yet, even with all this derelict construction equipment laying around, or still build 'permanent' settlements by haphazardly slapping 2x4s together.

• Locked thread