Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Guillermus posted:

I hope so because I'm the only loving one shooting down planes in monte grappa and I've been trying that poo poo for three days straight. Planes outrepair me wich is retarded.

I got mine the other day by shooting at a bomber. It was showing hit markers but not damage indicators. However the bomber just up and blew up and completed the assignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
If you have the parabellum I suggest using that, I was able to hose down bombers across the map in just two spools (lol now i'm just gonna think of it as a sewing machine)

Otherwise the MG suppressive, or even the lewis/madsen/whatever(even the BAR) honestly can do it, just make sure to try not to solo a plane by yourself-- you'll just turn into sniperbait eventually. Definitely focus on stealing kills from friendly AA and pilots.

Parkingtigers posted:

40 man operations getting killed to consolidate the population

Aw that kinda sucks, 40-man was one of the few big modes where it felt like you could swing the momentum by just yourself or a partner or two. In 64 you could have a great 5-man and still get dragged down by a terrible team.

Ol Standard Retard posted:

I mean, you don't have to!

if it's bullshit why worry about it?

I am aware the answer is that videogame players aka "gamers" are obsessive completionist weirdos and you dudes can't help yourselves redfire this is not specifically addressed to you in spite of quoting you because you're cool

it's me

i'm the weirding obsessivist completioner

i just want a scope on my mosin so I can post about sniping from hella far back and piss you guys off

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Looks like I'm on the worst servers as none shoots planes. So yes, I'm basically shooting them by myself or they get disabled and pilots bail out early getting no credit at all.

The unlock should be either cumulative damage or assist. Locking a gun behind such a chore is retarded, medic and assault unlocks make sense and you get them by simply playing like the class is intended.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I think it's fair to assume that the Support class is intended to harass planes at least a little bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_Popkin

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In WWII one of the configurations for the MG42 was coaxial AA setup wich was effective but we're talking that bullets do real damage against aircraft (more so 2x 1200rpm LMGs) while in BF1 for the sake of balance (wich I understand) do poo poo and you can repair mid air.

Unlocks in a game like this shouldn't be playing a gimmick that puts you away from action unlike getting 50 kills with certain weapon plus rifle grenade kills or getting repairs, or tank kills. You either are drat lucky and shoot a few bursts and finish off a plane or you end being a gimped AA gun the entire match and if you try to get into a good high position to have more map to cover, you'll get sniped because while there's shortage of people shooting down planes, there are more than enough snipers looking for an idiot (me) shooting to the air.

Kind of want to find a group of people, jump into an empty server and just cheat it like a bunch of goons did on PC with certain stuff in BF4.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
^ I'm hopping on btw if you wanna hang

Yeah there's a bunch of ticky tacky junk with unlocks that really reads like the designers don't actually play their own product which I think is a super cardinal sin. I mean, why bother putting them in at all. If they're not particularly useful, and they're insanely hard to get, which basically means no one wants to bother, why write the code?

Too much time jizzing over breech loading animations

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 12, 2017

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

We should get a party going this weekend.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

^ I'm hopping on btw if you wanna hang

Yeah there's a bunch of ticky tacky junk with unlocks that really reads like the designers don't actually play their own product which I think is a super cardinal sin. I mean, why bother putting them in at all. If they're not particularly useful, and they're insanely hard to get, which basically means no one wants to bother, why write the code?

Too much time jizzing over breech loading animations

Sorry missed your invite because I was (literally) using a hammer with a computer box I'm fixing.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Ineffiable posted:

We should get a party going this weekend.

Yeah we need to get the butts together.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

im down guysss

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
I finally got my second plane shot down. I can confirm that even if you don't get any damage notices from shooting a bomber, it is possible to get credit for shooting it down.

I humped the AA at B point on Monte Grappa with a repair tool in hand as well. As things approached, jump in the AA, score some hits, when they freak out and eject start pelting the plane with MG fire.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Got one kill on Grappa aswell, thing is that one dumb pilot after getting plinked by italian's AA (me) decided to try to kill me by flying straight to my AA and MG15 suppressive. I've been doing this for three hours straight and I'm hating myself for my unlock OCD.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Guillermus posted:

Kind of want to find a group of people, jump into an empty server and just cheat it like a bunch of goons did on PC with certain stuff in BF4.

That’s what my friend and I did. We had most of the dumb unlocks like the trip mines done within one conquest match.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Guillermus posted:

In WWII one of the configurations for the MG42 was coaxial AA setup wich was effective but we're talking that bullets do real damage against aircraft (more so 2x 1200rpm LMGs) while in BF1 for the sake of balance (wich I understand) do poo poo and you can repair mid air.
Allies had the M16 MGMC with four Browning .50 cals on it for AA too. They also gave it the nickname "Meat Chopper" because it turned out to be really effective against infantry. If there was a sniper in a tree, they could destroy him and the entire tree at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_Multiple_Gun_Motor_Carriage

In BF1 I got my two plane kills with the MG15 suppressive. Took me three Mount Grappa maps and was insanely annoying but the gun it unlocks is worth it.

The Fedorov Avtomat Optical is my new favorite gun though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cool so let's try to hop on tomorrow and Saturday? We can start it around 5pm est and keep it going as long as we have butts.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I think it's fair to assume that the Support class is intended to harass planes at least a little bit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_Popkin

drat that's g on both parts. Landing your plane softly to die is pretty baller. Landing a shot on the pilot's fuckin chest with an LMG while he's sandwiched between two friendly planes...goddamn :australia:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Trillhouse posted:

Allies had the M16 MGMC with four Browning .50 cals on it for AA too. They also gave it the nickname "Meat Chopper" because it turned out to be really effective against infantry. If there was a sniper in a tree, they could destroy him and the entire tree at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_Multiple_Gun_Motor_Carriage

In BF1 I got my two plane kills with the MG15 suppressive. Took me three Mount Grappa maps and was insanely annoying but the gun it unlocks is worth it.

The Fedorov Avtomat Optical is my new favorite gun though.

So it's almost 4 a.m., I'm tired and sick of trying. Another Mount Grappa without the second kill, map ends and next is Ballroom Blitz so I say "gently caress it, let's get some shotgun kills for assault unlocks".

Match goes decently and start to relax, kill a support trying to cap B and grab his kit to get ammo. It's a loving chauchat. I see a plane dogfight and I start hipfiring wildly to both until I empty the 20 round mag...

...and I get the kill.

:dice::argh:

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Got the last of my two plane kills with the mg15 on Lupkow Pass. Took G and saw an attack plane make a run at some other point, then coasting towards me while repairing. Gave him almost a full magazine and down he went.

Pissing me off is turning a corner, running in to an enemy and us opening fire at the exact same time. 5 time out of 6, he wins when I have an lmg and he doesn’t. Lmg damage is bullshit on a stick.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!
Check out this dude getting a service star with the kolibri:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLU_sXhaTw

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's sure some dedication :stare:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Guillermus posted:

That's sure some dedication :stare:

I got 44 Kolibri kills in about a week of casual play. (1-2 hours a day) It's really not that hard.

I was going to make a compilation video but... :effort:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This is why I play Battlefield despite making me angry many times. Keeping a team alive in the frontline then going behind (the lines) and hitting them in the [BUTT].
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY72SEPPUHs

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is there any good guide about how to customize BF1's ui? Like the percentages of opacity of icons and so. I didn't tweak them much in BF4 but sometimes I can't tell at range if someone is an enemy because the icons blend too much.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Guillermus posted:

Is there any good guide about how to customize BF1's ui? Like the percentages of opacity of icons and so. I didn't tweak them much in BF4 but sometimes I can't tell at range if someone is an enemy because the icons blend too much.
Unfortunately I think the opacity of soldier icons at a distance is fixed, compliments of the latest patch. I can kinda-sorta get why they'd want to do that for enemies but there's no loving reason to make your allies invisible at range.

Lancing continues to own though. Today we take "turning the enemy against themselves" to a whole new level!

https://i.imgur.com/FddgDxU.gifv

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Unfortunately I think the opacity of soldier icons at a distance is fixed, compliments of the latest patch. I can kinda-sorta get why they'd want to do that for enemies but there's no loving reason to make your allies invisible at range.

Yeah, I'm a huge proponent of ruining a skylords' day with the AA but I'm now having the issue of not knowing which planes are the enemy.

I still love the emblem maker, though. It's the one thing that DICE hasn't made worse...yet.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Oh hey, the server browser for Operations actually works and I was finally able to play the Russian ops. I was only going to play one, but it takes so long to quit afterwards that if you hit the leave button too late then it automatically cycles you to another Operation. Which is v. cool if you want to play another, but kind of hilarious if you don't.

Still, in those two ops I got my codex entries, the trophy, my Russian Garford wossname armoured car kills for that codex, and a few various service assignment steps. A good morning's shootmans.

Vids are up showing some freaky untextured versions of the upcoming Gallipoli maps. Looks good. Cape Helles and another one further inland which is an infantry only scrum on the hillsides. I'm actually surprised as I was sure they'd include that fortress from the Anzac war story chapter as it was way too detailed to use in campaign only. Maybe that'll come later as a Nivelle Nights style bonus map.

The Cape Helles one has a mode called "Conquest Assault" that sounds really cool. Defenders start holding all the points, and they can only have no spawn point apart from the flags. Attacking team has 250 tickets and does a beach landing to start and has to roll back that series of capture points.

Fake edit: yeah, wtf is up with those faded team markers? At long distance they could be either team, utterly useless. Turn the brightness up, or turn them off entirely, this currently transparency thing is kinda trashy.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 17, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

El Diablo Bob O posted:

Yeah, I'm a huge proponent of ruining a skylords' day with the AA but I'm now having the issue of not knowing which planes are the enemy.

I ran that issue while trying to get the two airplane kills with LMGs. It's dumb as hell and only benefits the retarded scouts sitting in a hill since they'll shoot even teammates. Yes, an idiot pubbie kept shooting me for 30 seconds while I was capping a flag and didn't notice that I was somehow inmune to friendly fire...

Edit: Galicia operations may be the worst experience for defenders ever. You get no vehicles until the end and you are getting hosed with mortars all the time. The map sucks in conquest too so i guess it's not the game mode.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 17, 2017

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Oh god, I had that too. I was getting my "5 kills in a round behind a sniper shield" service assignment, using the scoped G98 (I never normally use shields or scopes) and did a cheeky flank to lie perpendicular to the line of assault so I could snipe away in piece. Two supports in my team were sure I was an enemy and were plinking away at my shield for almost a minute.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Hey guillermus sorry about bailing on you abruptly last night had a friend drop by unexpectedly.

Unlocked the Fedorov finally and it ruuules dang

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Hey guillermus sorry about bailing on you abruptly last night had a friend drop by unexpectedly.

Unlocked the Fedorov finally and it ruuules dang

No worries, I kept playing and eventually joined Ventuolo and another goon and we had some fun (even while being stomped). And yes, the Fedorov is drat fun to use. I'm a long time support player but until the LMG buff arrives, medic class has the weapons I like the most with the Fedorov, Mondragon storm and M1907SL Sweeper. I kind of like the RSC 1917 because of the 2 hit kill at medium range but it only has 6 shots.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

-BUTT squad strikes again!
-What?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm9tNXMY9qM

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh god, I had that too. I was getting my "5 kills in a round behind a sniper shield" service assignment,

Lol that dice made an assignment out of this. gently caress that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Is surprisingly funny to do in the worst map you can think: Amiens. Got the 5 kills in that map just by setting me behind the shield inside a house. Retarded but easy to do.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!
To the goons I was playing with today, I apologize for dipping out so abruptly. My internet poo poo the bed and I was lagging out.

Also, for reasons unknown, I never get popups for party invites even though I have the setting to "show".

It is frustrating.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

El Diablo Bob O posted:

To the goons I was playing with today, I apologize for dipping out so abruptly. My internet poo poo the bed and I was lagging out.

Also, for reasons unknown, I never get popups for party invites even though I have the setting to "show".

It is frustrating.

No worries we saw you hop in, was fun tonight!

I made a clip of something I found hilarious with breastler earlier but I can't remember what it was I gotta dig through my shares

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Managed to find video on youtube of the upcoming dlc’s new guns that doesnt have obnoxious “wwwwhats guys pissman 52 here” youtubers talking over it: https://youtu.be/pRSiht_U6_E

The Repetier carbine looks dope even with barebones wip animations

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I've been getting more stable connections since the latest patch. I was able to have a few rounds where patch netcode issues didn't keep interrupting my horse's gallop and getting me killed. That Tsaritsyn map that I'm just not into? SO MUCH loving FUN WHEN YOU JUST GALLOP INTO THE REAR OF THEIR TEAM AS THEY STORM INTO THE CATHEDRAL. I killed 3 dudes on that one charge through the church. Everything is good again, the sun came out from behind the clouds, the birds are singing, and you are all extremely handsome and virile individuals.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I will be on tonight (starting around 7:30 Central or so) trying to beat the Red Tide operation to get that Peter the Great medal. It's heavily weighted in favor of the White Army, so if we could get a goon-filled communist fire team goin' I think it'd be fun to turn the tables there.

Or we'll get auto-assigned to the White Army side and can just shoot the poo poo while easily defending.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I will be on tonight (starting around 7:30 Central or so) trying to beat the Red Tide operation to get that Peter the Great medal. It's heavily weighted in favor of the White Army, so if we could get a goon-filled communist fire team goin' I think it'd be fun to turn the tables there.

Or we'll get auto-assigned to the White Army side and can just shoot the poo poo while easily defending.

I don't know which side is which, but if that is the operation I'm thinking of, it is hilariously one-sided towards the defense (assuming no tweaking since I played it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I find the operations are really about doing what the rest of your team isn't. So if the rest of your team are snipers, you have to be the one to run through the hail of bullets (smoke helps) and kill everyone. If nobody is using the mortars, use that to rack up kills. If nobody is spotting, do that, either with the binocs or the spotting flare. Sometimes getting somewhat close and in cover, and act a spawn spot for the rest of your squad. Sometimes the opposing team is just better, but 90% of the time, just mixing it up can result in a game shift.
All I know is if I'm on the communist team, we tend to win. Maybe I just try harder....;)

Anybody playing on the west coast? I just recently moved across the country, how's the servers tend to be over here?