Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/919974467346075648

I guess it's better than letting him walk for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WFNYScott/status/919973852431749121

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aBagorn posted:

It's funny, he's listed as PF on the official Sixers site, but on more than one occasion (including the last preseason game) I've heard the announcer introduce the team like:

F JJ Reddick
F Robert Covington
G Bayless/Fultz
G Ben Simmons
C Joel Embiid

It really seems like an ego thing :shrug:

It could be an ego thing, or maybe he thinks the path to the All-Star game is easier as a guard? Or maybe it has something to do with his Nike contract?

But if it is just an ego thing, I can sympathize with that. He plays point guard. So if every time you tell someone what your role is, you get a "yeah, but not really..." response , I can see how that would be very annoying.

tanglewood1420 posted:

As an experiment the Sixers actually tried him guarding Kyrie for a four minutes stretch in one preseason game and whilst not great by any means he was surprisingly not terrible at it. On ball he was athletic enough to stay with Kyrie mostly, but he couldn't stick with him well enough when Iriving was off-ball and having screens set for him.

I think this was a good observation. With his speed and length, I doubt Simmons will have trouble defending most point guards one on one. But following a guard who plays mostly off the ball through screens will probably be an issue.

Lockback posted:

My defining term will be how often he shares the floor with two guards, one of which is almost always otherwise playing PG. Simmons will frequently be sharing the floor with Bayless and Fultz, guys who otherwise will be playing point. To me there is a difference between a point guard, and a guy who always shares the floor with a point guard.

I think that the Sixers thought they would need to pair Simmons with another guard who can also play point. That's why they acquired Bayless, who played that role with the Greek Freak. And that's one of the reasons Fultz was considered such a perfect fit alongside Simmons. But while it's still early, from what I've seen so far this was completely unnecessary. Simmons does not need any help with the ball handling and neither Bayless nor Fultz shared that role with him while they were on the floor together.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 16, 2017

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hornets going into the season with Nic Batum, Jeremy Lamb, Treveon Graham, Michael Carter-Williams and Julyan Stone either sidelined or limited by injury. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist has mysteriously disappeared for the last few weeks tending to an "excused personal issue" and will miss the opener. A dude named Dwayne Bacon is probably going to be starting at shooting guard and Malik Monk is going to average 52 shots a game

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Jeremy Lamb practised yesterday and said that he's good. I mean maybe he aggravates it but it sounds like he's ready to roll.

As for the others....good luck.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm Dwayne Bacon

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If Ben Simmons thinks point guard is easier to be an all-star in NBA 2017, lol

The east is garbage, but they still have like a billion good guards alive

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/bbanimals/status/919563839154393088 pictured: memphis approaching the modern style of NBA play

My friend, the Pelicans are here if you need a modern take on grit & grind.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Pelicans are running an offense consisting of just Centers and Point Guards and I couldn't be more excited for it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Simmons does not need any help with the ball handling and neither Bayless nor Fultz shared that role with him while they were on the floor together.

Should have taken Monk.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
steph doesnt wear the ring because it makes his hand look small

Brolander fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 16, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LOL I've got pretty much the same phone.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/920009985391595520

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Lol disgusting

Should have used Lin

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 16, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Did I miss someone posting this already?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcdgAcSSigw

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

NotWearingPants posted:

It could be an ego thing, or maybe he thinks the path to the All-Star game is easier as a guard? Or maybe it has something to do with his Nike contract?

But if it is just an ego thing, I can sympathize with that. He plays point guard. So if every time you tell someone what your role is, you get a "yeah, but not really..." response , I can see how that would be very annoying.

I think this was a good observation. With his speed and length, I doubt Simmons will have trouble defending most point guards one on one. But following a guard who plays mostly off the ball through screens will probably be an issue.

I think that the Sixers thought they would need to pair Simmons with another guard who can also play point. That's why they acquired Bayless, who played that role with the Greek Freak. And that's one of the reasons Fultz was considered such a perfect fit alongside Simmons. But while it's still early, from what I've seen so far this was completely unnecessary. Simmons does not need any help with the ball handling and neither Bayless nor Fultz shared that role with him while they were on the floor together.
Apologies if I'm being overly picky, Simmons might move well for his size, he might be able to stay with guards on switches, but he's not going to Tony Allen shadow any pg, maybe excepting Michael Carter Williams, Denzel Valentine, big slow guys

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

In terms of forwards, I would trust Kawaii Leonard and playoff LeBron to guard a point guard for more than the odd switch.

And also concussed Kevin Love

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

What on earth

That's one of the worst brand names I've ever seen

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

AggressivelyStupid posted:

And also concussed Kevin Love

We didn't realize it at the time but that concussion allowed Love to unlock Ultra Instinct by removing his ability to think about what he was doing.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I would honestly find that believable

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Simmons was listed as F the last three games

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
3 years $72.3 mil extension for Lamarcus. Partial guarantee on last year. Good deal for Spurs I think

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That might be step 1 to a trade. I can't see any of the few teams that have cap space wanting to spend it on LMA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I mean in the two games Simmons was listed as guard JJ Redick was listed as a F which is the lost ridiculous thing

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

illcendiary posted:

3 years $72.3 mil extension for Lamarcus. Partial guarantee on last year. Good deal for Spurs I think

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/920025039004676096

I have a bad feeling about this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

I mean in the two games Simmons was listed as guard JJ Redick was listed as a F which is the lost ridiculous thing

I saw the listings as G-G-G-F-C, but I am not sure where official listing come from for pre-season games. They have JJ listed on the official website as a guard (Simmons as a G-F). Again, I'd just look at who they put around him.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
gently caress, 40 million a year for Pau and LMA. I don't like this at all.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pop's retiring in the next couple years, that's basically my guess from these signings.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i think that's a good deal for the spurs and lamarcus

he stays in the low to mid 20 million range and earns decent money, and the spurs stay around their current costs

much more argreeable than pau's contract, for sure

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tae posted:

Pop's retiring in the next couple years, that's basically my guess from these signings.
Just in time for the Return of Bud.

I like LMA, I think he gets underrated and a lot of hate, sure you can't always depend on him if Kawhi goes down but he's great as a "second star" to have.
would've rather gotten Marc Gasol but you can't win em all

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/919993778655526914

wowza

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Rastaclat sounds like a Jamaican swear word. Like bombaclot.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

he's around until at least 2020 since he's coaching the olympics. very likely he'll retire after that. if he doesn't that's cool too.

etore messina reupped he contract recently. surely he won't just stick around as pop's number 2 forever, but you never know

Punkin Spunkin posted:

would've rather gotten Marc Gasol but you can't win em all

still might! people are thinking that if the grizz go into rebuild mode there are some viable trades for him, like sending pau back to finish his career where he started it, among other things

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Do any of you guys share League Pass with people who don't live with you? My friend and I want to do that but we're worried the NBA would just ban us or something.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Rastaclat sounds like a Jamaican swear word. Like bombaclot.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Why would you name your positive vibe bracelet company after a cuss word?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Do any of you guys share League Pass with people who don't live with you? My friend and I want to do that but we're worried the NBA would just ban us or something.

I think only one person can be logged in at a time.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

like sending pau back to finish his career where he started it, among other things
it's funny I was fantasizing about this exact improbable scenario yesterday. I just don't really think the Spurs have the assets. I guess in a scenario where they somehow pull it off and LMA is still on the team that would be a hell of a front court.

RaySmuckles posted:

he's around until at least 2020 since he's coaching the olympics. very likely he'll retire after that. if he doesn't that's cool too.

etore messina reupped he contract recently. surely he won't just stick around as pop's number 2 forever, but you never know
I'm still hoping that Pop's Successor is either a returning Bud/Brett Brown, or dark horse candidate HEAD COACH TIM DUNCAN

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Me and 2 friends share it and it's totally fine. You can only watch on one screen at a time however.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm still hoping that Pop's Successor is either a returning Bud/Brett Brown, or dark horse candidate HEAD COACH TIM DUNCAN

nah, MANU! we're going to wring out every bit of basketball the man has in his body and mind

either way, let's not put the cart before the horse. there are still (almost certainly) 3 full seasons of pop left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/920035443579736064

Suddenly, A New Point Guard of the future appears.

• Locked thread