Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Toops posted:

I mean, how the gently caress. This is the networking equivalent of buying a lovely 1982 Renault Alliance and installing 18" rims, subwoofers, and underbody neon lights...

The Renault would still get you laid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

TheAgent posted:

no I meant my abs were literally taken from my body and grafted to my legs so I could support myself while standing

GRAFTED TO MY LEGS

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

GRAFTED TO MY LEGS

:ohdear: are you okay?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Ming bored of new gimmick

It had legs though, it had legs

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

1982 Renault Alliance and installing 18" rims, subwoofers, and underbody neon lights...

So what you're saying is, Star Citizen is ... good?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

thatguy posted:

Can we do a Star Citizen themed campaign? :lol:
Chris needs to be Necromancy/Summoning.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://giant.gfycat.com/EachFaroffBuffalo.mp4

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
All ability points put into Thieving.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

SomethingJones posted:

Klytus I'm boooooored

Fixed that for you

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Derek can only pick the longest responses for all dialogue.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
There are some real choice bullet points from the 3.0 patch notes that I find particularly stupid/meaningless/:catdrugs:

- Fixed a crash in COrderedMeshBV::Build
(Nice aspberger's guys, glad you made bullet points for each crash you fixed, and the thing that necessitated every crash fix getting its own bullet point was the loving class name that nobody gives a poo poo about)

- "We are working on some extra Graphics code for the GPU particle system to support the creation of new VFX to implement space dust at points around Stanton. This will continue to be iterated on to create some more elaborate assets."
(read: scope creep. see also: loving SPACE DUST???)

- With the gameplay we’re adding in to 3.0.0, we’re conscious that there may be some other players that would love to kill you and take your ship. To help prevent this, we wanted to implement some basic security that will allow you to lock the ship, so only you have the ability to pass freely through its doors. Part of this work includes adding destruction for external ship doors to allow for the other half: basic breaching / boarding.
(read: scope creep. see also: Damage States for the doors we can't get to work.)

- We are very keen to make the Stanton map feel more organic as a real environment and having the planets rotate and orbit will really help with this.
- This will also introduce a proper day/night cycle when you’re on a planet surface which in turn opens up further gameplay possibilities.

(why are these)
(two different bullet points)

- We want to give players the ability to more intuitively interact with items and objects within the game, but also find ways to indicate to the player what type of interaction they would be performing (pick up, start conversation, push button, etc).
(what the gently caress does this even mean, what are you talking about, what kind of patch note bullet point starts with "we want to ..." then describes incredibly vague yet contradictory things... this is pure loving cat drugs)

I can't read any more of this bullshit I'm getting pissed off again.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/920019642751397888

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Here, look at this bullet point.

loving look at it:

- Start documenting 3 possible map layouts looping system (using 2 or 4 meters metrics * system; using connection additional corridor pieces; using spline skinned corridors)

That awesome fuckin' start documenting change is ALREADY IN STAR CITIZEN 3.0.0 GUYS. Fuckin' :boom:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm glad CIG is making sure that they're using the most complicated methods possible to ensure that the game plays exactly like an awful alpha version of Freelancer.

Dusty Lens from the legendary Cutlass Thread. thats a name i havent heard in a long time :3:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Toops posted:

- With the gameplay we’re adding in to 3.0.0, we’re conscious that there may be some other players that would love to kill you and take your ship. To help prevent this, we wanted to implement some basic security that will allow you to lock the ship, so only you have the ability to pass freely through its doors. Part of this work includes adding destruction for external ship doors to allow for the other half: basic breaching / boarding.
(read: scope creep. see also: Damage States for the doors we can't get to work.)

Joke's on them. Best way to steal a ship is to phase through a window.

Combat Theory posted:

Dusty Lens from the legendary Cutlass Thread. thats a name i havent heard in a long time :3:

Linking to other, better threads is the only worthwhile thing I have done in my entire life.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

I know gently caress all about game design and programming, but how is basic security difficult to implement? Shouldn't it be simple to make a chariot belonging to Capt_Han_Picard_420 refuse to open/work when pgabz arrives on his latest quest for glory?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I know gently caress all about game design and programming, but how is basic security difficult to implement? Shouldn't it be simple to make a chariot belonging to Capt_Han_Picard_420 refuse to open/work when pgabz arrives on his latest quest for glory?

Not when doors have been broken for years

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

D_Smart posted:

For example, in my game, the reason that I can EVA from a ship, then land on it and walk even as it hurtles through space, is because once the player touches that body, I treat it as having magnetic boots. And then I use a "step time" to determine updates which determine whether or not I am still attached to it. The only way you can stop walking/running on top of the ship or station, is via a player controlled movement: the jump key.

You mean the ESC key? ;o)

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
loving cat bird drugs is who wrote these patch notes:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

Not when doors have been broken for years

Fair point.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

M-O-O-N spells 3.0 patch notes.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Combat Theory posted:

Same. Hope you're doing okay. You put wayyy more effort into that thread than anyone could convince me to even back then.

Feels like a goddamn lifetime ago lol.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

I came back to celebrate CIG running out of funds in six months as predicted by Dr. Smart in 2015.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Toops posted:

I think the following needs a call out:

- surface outposts
- additional surface outposts

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Dusty Lens posted:

M-O-O-N spells 3.0 patch notes.

Nice

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sunswipe posted:

Pretty much anything is hard when you don't know what you're doing.

Anyway this is more or less how it works:

1. Create a database with the following:
- a list of players (at least names and id's)
- a list of ships, each of which have a reference to the player that owns it (something like ship.owner_id -> player.id)

2. Anyone time you press "USE" on a ship, the game goes: "a player with id X is trying to open a ship with id Y. I'm gonna go ask the database to get me the owner_id from that ship

code:
SELECT ship.owner_id FROM ship WHERE ship.id = Y

3. If this.player_id != ship.owner_id, do not open door

Persistence doesn't really get any easier than that.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Once 3.0 comes out, Star Citizen would only need to release 99 more star systems, 5 more alien races, a tablet companion app, vanduul trading post and alien derelict base types, a kilometer long carrier that crews 1,000, professional mod tools, and a single-player mode with 50 missions, celebrity voice-acting, professional mocap, and a "Mission Disk" called Behind Enemy Lines, to deliver what they said they could when they reached $6,000,000 on Nov 18th, 2012.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Patch notes for my new game:

-Added new enemy types
-Added even more new enemy types
-Added additional enemy types
-Moon

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

deleted. What was it?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

D_Smart posted:

deleted. What was it?

Don't worry, I'm sure it was something you already called. :grin:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Toops posted:

Pretty much anything is hard when you don't know what you're doing.

Anyway this is more or less how it works:

1. Create a database with the following:
- a list of players (at least names and id's)
- a list of ships, each of which have a reference to the player that owns it (something like ship.owner_id -> player.id)

2. Anyone time you press "USE" on a ship, the game goes: "a player with id X is trying to open a ship with id Y. I'm gonna go ask the database to get me the owner_id from that ship

code:
SELECT ship.owner_id FROM ship WHERE ship.id = Y

3. If this.player_id != ship.owner_id, do not open door

Persistence doesn't really get any easier than that.

This isn't taking into account fidelity. I mean, just :lol: if you don't think each purchased ship is literally its own database table. Why do you think they're in limited supply?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I guess the question is what sort of scenario is Crobberts imagining for ship theft - if someone leaves their ship open and unlocked on a dock, can I stowaway and when they go to sleep on their ship and log off I kill them and take their ship? Can me and my copilot lock down in the bridge and then a boarding party can take control from the engine room? Is there a self-destruct feature so I can take my enemies with me and send us all straight to hell? Can they cut through the door and try to breach the cockpit in a gunfight?

Or is it just going to be some bullshit. Hmm. In X3:AP some enemy pilots will eject when their ship is about to blow and you can send a pilot over to claim it as your own, so you can build a ragtag fleet pretty big that way.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Taintrunner posted:

So I guess the question is what sort of scenario is Crobberts imagining for ship theft - if someone leaves their ship open and unlocked on a dock, can I stowaway and when they go to sleep on their ship and log off I kill them and take their ship? Can me and my copilot lock down in the bridge and then a boarding party can take control from the engine room? Is there a self-destruct feature so I can take my enemies with me and send us all straight to hell? Can they cut through the door and try to breach the cockpit in a gunfight?

Or is it just going to be some bullshit. Hmm. In X3:AP some enemy pilots will eject when their ship is about to blow and you can send a pilot over to claim it as your own, so you can build a ragtag fleet pretty big that way.

Yes.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Toops posted:

This is the only thing I could find about that:

- New network message queue (current in QATR) to reduce network bandwidth and network thread time.
- Physics Serialization
- Persistent Data Refactor

Translated:
- They added a queue so they don't just hadoken all these useless, wasteful updates at once
- They serialized the data so instead of sending useless, wasteful plain text updates they can send useless, wasteful bytestream updates
- They changed the database a bit

I mean, how the gently caress. This is the networking equivalent of buying a lovely 1982 Renault Alliance and installing 18" rims, subwoofers, and underbody neon lights...

You can always trust CIG to deliver only the best furnishings... eventually (give them money)

e: and by physics serialization I think they mean finally sharing the physics calculations instead of having every client do all the work themselves. So they haven't fixed that. :lol::lol::lol:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 16, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

Imagine a pair of hands waving so furiously that their is dust billowing like when a helicopter is landing

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

intardnation posted:

unless you use revive there is no native vive support for it. It will never be on pc for that reason.

I have a Rift, and also Revive for the Vive, so I'm good.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Toops posted:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Scruffpuff posted:

This isn't taking into account fidelity. I mean, just :lol: if you don't think each purchased ship is literally its own database table. Why do you think they're in limited supply?

It depends on the amount of available schmeg.

Aldo, I do understand what they are trying to do in the point above "moons". I might need to go see a doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

deleted. What was it?

I forget, something stupid, not important.