Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’m working with an old Korean War pilot and former experimental jet pilot.

He’s just sitting here telling me about all the times he was sitting in a plane loaded with an a bomb waiting for the order to nuke China lol.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As one does

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Does it have the squid going down on a lady

Yup.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Any VMWare dudes here? Word is the company liked me and are going to make an offer, with the stipulation that I obtain my VCP cert. I don't suspect it will be a huge issue, but curious if any of you have taken it and can speak to how bad it is or isn't?

Nothing yet from the hiring manager, but supposedly it's in the works.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

No longer exists

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

weird Asian candy posted:

Any VMWare dudes here? Word is the company liked me and are going to make an offer, with the stipulation that I obtain my VCP cert. I don't suspect it will be a huge issue, but curious if any of you have taken it and can speak to how bad it is or isn't?

Nothing yet from the hiring manager, but supposedly it's in the works.

It’s not that bad, but it is a fairly broad test. They expect you to answer questions about virtual networking, storage, compute resources, update manager, and operations manager. None of the material is tough or tricky, there’s just a good bit to cover and if you’re not working in VCenter regularly it may be tough to make it stick.

Pick up a study guide and build a lab in workstation or something and you should be fine. How long do you have to complete the cert?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Who was the TFF dude who like kept a briefcase full of company secrets and wouldn't tell anyone else in the company how anything worked to protect his job?

I dunno but I take all the advice in this white paper as gospel.

PROGRAMMING FOR JOB SECURITY REVISITED:
EVEN MORE TIPS AND TECHNIQUES TO MAXIMIZE YOUR INDISPENSABILITY

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi23/Training/p275.pdf

the most evil thing in there is a tie between coding "normally" and then doing a ctrl+h to change all your variable/dataset names to incomprehensible things or surreptitiously altering the run-time commands to add undocumented functions and data.

axeil fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 16, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Its Rinaldo posted:

No longer exists

I think it was reposted with chart here:

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/920010610904932352

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My previous job must have been pretty paranoid about that kind of poo poo, they had a variable naming convention that was mandatory and your manager would go over every change you made before you could check it in just to make sure you didn't create an integer called ErrorCode instead of nErrorCode

Also there were tons and tons of precompiled libraries with custom functions to use rather than built in ones just so they could maintain control over it, meaning I was constantly building massive libraries into programs that didn't need 99% of it

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 16, 2017

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s not that bad, but it is a fairly broad test. They expect you to answer questions about virtual networking, storage, compute resources, update manager, and operations manager. None of the material is tough or tricky, there’s just a good bit to cover and if you’re not working in VCenter regularly it may be tough to make it stick.

Pick up a study guide and build a lab in workstation or something and you should be fine. How long do you have to complete the cert?

Cool, thanks. I am in VCS everyday, have built out hosts from the ground up, configured the vswitches, managed storage, compute, VROM, VROPS, etc so I think I will be ok but I've heard some nightmares about questions out of left field.

I am still waiting to see what the offer is, and what the stipulations are for me to obtain it, but it's also something I have wanted to get now for a while so this is going to force me into it which is fine.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

weird Asian candy posted:

so I think I will be ok but I've heard some nightmares about questions out of left field.

Like any of these tests there will be some random rear end questions that you probably haven’t prepared for, but you don’t need to be perfect, so as long as you know the core material well you can afford to miss some of those.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Like any of these tests there will be some random rear end questions that you probably haven’t prepared for, but you don’t need to be perfect, so as long as you know the core material well you can afford to miss some of those.

Yea, I read that you only need 300 points out of 500 total to pass which doesn't seem bad at all.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Intruder posted:

My previous job must have been pretty paranoid about that kind of poo poo, they had a variable naming convention that was mandatory and your manager would go over every change you made before you could check it in just to make sure you didn't create an integer called ErrorCode instead of nErrorCode

Also there were tons and tons of precompiled libraries with custom functions to use rather than built in ones just so they could maintain control over it, meaning I was constantly building massive libraries into programs that didn't need 99% of it

If you want to program to be irreplaceable you will find a way.

Ironically including all those crazy custom libraries made their code more incomprehensible and thus harder to teach to new people!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

It had a chart about the ratio of exec/managerial pay to employe pay in the top economies around the world. TL:DR; the US is laughably unequal compared to the rest of the world by a huge margin.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 16, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

axeil posted:

If you want to program to be irreplaceable you will find a way.

Ironically including all those crazy custom libraries made their code more incomprehensible and thus harder to teach to new people!

For the most part those libraries are just black boxes to the new people. You just go read the documents for what each function does, and there was actually a pretty well constructed way to find what you needed

I got the gently caress out of there after a little more than a year. I only took the job because there was nothing else out there (this was in like 2009, bad time to not have a job) but the pay was awful, the benefits were awful, and the CEO was a douchebag. Their vacation policy was you get two weeks to start off with, and you don't accrue toward the current year, but toward the next year so my first six months there (I started in July) I got zero vacation and the next year I got a week. I was making a little over half of what I'm currrently making. They gave their programmers offices which was nice. They lost 50% of their development staff in six months and their only product is software so

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I just got reassigned the same claim for the third time in three work days, meaning I got that claim again instead of a different one. So it cleared out my workload by two claims purely due to issues and glitches with the systems.

Sometimes working for an incompetent corporate behemoth owns.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

I'm already going to be up against the wall when the revolution comes due to my inherited wealth but now I'm double guillotined :negative:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm already going to be up against the wall when the revolution comes due to my inherited wealth but now I'm double guillotined :negative:

I'll make sure, when the time comes, your family will be moved to one of the nicer wheat fields.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Spoeank posted:

Sometimes working for an incompetent corporate behemoth owns.

I just had my entire workflow process destroyed for the second time since I started working here in July lmao kill me now

This company is sooo retarded sometimes

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want to super replaceable so that I can take vacations and holidays off without people bugging me.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to SGI on Saturday for 8 days and I have already checked the gently caress out of work for the week.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Its Rinaldo posted:

You could always give it up to help others throw off their chains.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
My younger cousin's first job coming out of college was 60k+ benefits with 15 days paid vacation AND the week between Christmas and New Years off as well.

I guess that's what you can get when you complete a 5 year Masters in chemical engineering instead of coasting and never even completing a history degree.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I get two weeks off a year, maybe three if i'm lucky. I really need a new job

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Theoretically I get 4 but I doubt I'll be able to take it

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I get about 3.5 weeks if you count non traditional holidays and sick days

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I just don’t understand why college coaches don’t bring these guys over to the states and say “gently caress it I’ll teach him something in four years.”

19 years old good god

https://instagram.com/p/BaU4qjKA_d5/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FizFashizzle posted:

I just don’t understand why college coaches don’t bring these guys over to the states and say “gently caress it I’ll teach him something in four years.”

19 years old good god

https://instagram.com/p/BaU4qjKA_d5/

probably because hella performance enhancers and poo poo cardio

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol the Gronk family was on shark tank yesterday

Chris Gronk made a deal with Cuban and A-Rod instead of Lori who actually spends growing businesses for her entrepreneurs. But you know, sports.

The product was a shaker bottle because of course. Also they made the Sharks play flip cup lol.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
I don't understand the obsession with days off. Even when I'm not working at my day job, there's always something that needs done on my farm or rental properties or whatever flip I'm working on. If I want a vacation, I just take it, but honestly I'm thinking about the work that needs doing unless I'm in a fun social situation. I must be broken or something because I do not feel oppressed by work -- I like it.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I don't understand the obsession with days off. Even when I'm not working at my day job, there's always something that needs done on my farm or rental properties or whatever flip I'm working on. If I want a vacation, I just take it, but honestly I'm thinking about the work that needs doing unless I'm in a fun social situation. I must be broken or something because I do not feel oppressed by work -- I like it.

It sounds like you like your job or you're a weirdo workaholic

Either way congrats

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

My favorite thing about France is every so often they cut the heads off all the rich people.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ehud posted:

It sounds like you like your job or you're a weirdo workaholic

Either way congrats

It's probably the latter.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not loving hating your job and wishing your boss would drop dead is just plain unAmerican.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Filthy Casual posted:

You could always give it up to help others throw off their chains.

But it's really nice never having to worry about retirement and my kids college if I ever have any

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

It's probably the latter.

Even if I'm doing work I like it I don't step away I get burnt out and hate it

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You guys see that Gainesville, FL is in a declared state of emergency in front of Richard Spencer's speech at UF on Thursday?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You guys see that Gainesville, FL is in a declared state of emergency in front of Richard Spencer's speech at UF on Thursday?

Great that we're calling in the National Guard to protect Nazis from punching, not to do the punching themselves. Really cool.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The university offices that house the school's president (that signed off on Spencer's speech) were locked to students today. Bunch of students protested outside demanding to speak with the president but everyone was locked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

There is a difference between work and productivity

Wanting to use your free time towards a goal is not being a workaholic or weird, its what people should do with their free time

• Locked thread