Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If these developments continue, superheroism will permeate every genre of film, til in the end being able to fly or punch a guy through a wall is just a given for fictional characters, like being very handsome, having the right thing to say, or never having to poo poo. Frances Ha but she's been putting off vanquishing her nemesis in his underwater base, Dallas Buyers Club but instead of being a rodeo jockey he wrestles meteors away from the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I doubt this will tie with Deadpool

Isn't Negasonic Teenage Warhead in this one, or am I misremembering?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Love the cast, and I'd take a modern riff on NoES 3: The Dream Warriors, but hopefully it doesn't get bogged down in horseshit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

morestuff posted:

Love the cast, and I'd take a modern riff on NoES 3: The Dream Warriors, but hopefully it doesn't get bogged down in horseshit.

I wish it had a theme song half as good as Dream Warriors. (The Wall is amazing, but the trailer also ruins the song and I don't think it's gonna be in the movie?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noLPhZvcBpw

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I am so hyped for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjDjIWPwcPU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Looks like it'll be decent fun on second run. No Marvel movie is worth more than $5

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yep. I'm ready for this.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Looks like it'll be decent fun on second run. No Marvel movie is worth more than $5

It does look fun. I wonder if a black hero will seriously hurt the box office sales?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Indolent Bastard posted:

It does look fun. I wonder if a black hero will seriously hurt the box office sales?

Of course it will because America is racist as gently caress.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

fair

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

BonoMan posted:

Of course it will because America is racist as gently caress.

The whole planet is, black actors often hurt sales worse outside America even. I remember how the Asian market posters for JJTrek whitewashed Uhura and the Force Awakens ones shrank Finn and stuck him in the corner like they were trying to make people think he wasn't the friggin Co-Lead.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It is weird to have a revolutionary song in a movie about a King protecting his rule.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Indolent Bastard posted:

It definitely will not and claiming otherwise is bullshit recieved wisdom. The reason they don't do that is because they don't want to do it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Oh hey, look, it's a trailer for a movie starring a black guy. BRING OUT THE RAP!

For gently caress's sake. The movie looks good, I will see it, but that trailer...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MonsieurChoc posted:

It is weird to have a revolutionary song in a movie about a King protecting his rule.

It is an incredibly daft juxtaposition.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Get up stand up
Stand up for the divine right of kings

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The costumes look good. The film itself looks bog-standard:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jedit posted:

Oh hey, look, it's a trailer for a movie starring a black guy. BRING OUT THE RAP!

For gently caress's sake. The movie looks good, I will see it, but that trailer...

this was my take away as well. Movie looks about as ok as all the other terrible marvel movies, but that trailer was kind of bleh

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Jedit posted:

Rap is used in all movie trailers nowadays, the whitest of the white movies have had rap tracks as backing for them.

Also gently caress it this is a movie with a majority black cast why not use the music that we like in it. That Vince Staples song is dope.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am automatically rooting for Michael B. Jordan's Hype Beast.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dexo posted:

Rap is used in all movie trailers nowadays, the whitest of the white movies have had rap tracks as backing for them.

Should be easy for you to find a trailer for another MCU movie with a rap song in it, then.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dexo posted:

Also gently caress it this is a movie with a majority black cast why not use the music that we like in it. That Vince Staples song is dope.

It's a good song, with an awesome sample...that happens to be an awkward pick for advertising the content therein.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

How is he not the good guy?!?!?!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

That's a pernicious myth, plenty of black led and created movies make bank.

e:

K. Waste posted:

The costumes look good. The film itself looks bog-standard:

Might I counter-argue by positing, it def looks hella good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It is gonna be super weird if Chadwick Boseman is stuck with what Civil War gave him while Michael B Jordan gets to be his charismatic self.

I have faith that Coogler will give Boseman a lot of room to play, but it'll have to be some Solo Movie Cap vs. Avengers Cap level of change for me to get on his side.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Same thing I felt

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Should be easy for you to find a trailer for another MCU movie with a rap song in it, then.

I was talking in generalities, yes this is the first Marvel movie be with rap music in the trailer.

I'm mostly saying I don't get what the big deal is about them using rap in it. It's not like it's super rare in movies nowadays even if it is the first Marvel one.

Like I'm not an idiot, I know what the game is. Like it's not a coincidence this movie is coming out in February. But still I enjoy the look and style of everything I've seen from the trailers.

Also RTJ and Vince Staples are two of my favorite rap group and artist. So maybe I'm biased :shrug:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

K. Waste posted:

How is he not the good guy?!?!?!

It sounds like his character wants Wakanda to stay as the floating rich people space station in Elysium but T'challa wants to be the black Steve Jobs.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dexo posted:

Also RTJ and Vince Staples are two of my favorite rap group and artist. So maybe I'm biased :shrug:

Or, you know, the godfather of rap himself, who was opposed to the very commodification that Disney/Marvel represents.

The MSJ posted:

It sounds like his character wants Wakanda to stay as the floating rich people space station in Elysium but T'challa wants to be the black Steve Jobs.

Black Panther absolutely fits within the technocratic elitist fantasy of Silicon Valley identity as the bulwark against looming chaos. The entire Marvel film universe pushes that propaganda rather relentlessly.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 16, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dexo posted:

I was talking in generalities, yes this is the first Marvel movie be with rap music in the trailer.

You were talking in universals, not generalities.

Anyways, people are just noting it's tacky. I don't think anybody is claiming it's some huge offense.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is it RTJ like in the last Black Panther trailer? RTJ owns and their music deserves to be in more trailers.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dexo posted:

That Vince Staples "song" is poo poo. Gil Scott Heron was dope.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Or, you know, the godfather of rap himself, who was opposed to the very commodification that Disney/Marvel represents.

Black Panther absolutely fits within the technocratic elitist fantasy of Silicon Valley identity as the bulwark against looming chaos. The entire Marvel film universe pushes that propaganda rather relentlessly.

IDK it's playing with a very cool and vibrant idea of secret African ascendency that warms the cockles of my African American hero starved heart

Jedit posted:

why is "song" in quotes?

e:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is it RTJ like in the last Black Panther trailer? RTJ owns and their music deserves to be in more trailers.

yup, they're the poo poo. youtube the hell out of them.

e: here's a good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aES4SbFTH2Y

e2: sorry misread you, I agree with you. This time its Vince Staples

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 16, 2017

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wait they used a Vince Staples song and y'all are complaining? The gently caress's wrong with you? Big Fish Theory is an album of the year candidate.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jedit posted:

Jedit posted:

:rolleye:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Did they forget to cgi what her hands are supposed to be resting on or is she supposed to fly the plane in Frankenstein-pose?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sir Kodiak posted:

You were talking in universals, not generalities.

Anyways, people are just noting it's tacky. I don't think anybody is claiming it's some huge offense.

That's fair enough, mostly I've just come to expect stuff like that so it doesn't even register any more.

Like at the point I hear literal white supremacists quote MLK to try and defend themselves Marvel taking an anti consumerism song and putting in their movie advertising is whatever

Also Vince Staples is great, sorry you don't like him Jedit, But do you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Peanut President posted:

Did they forget to cgi what her hands are supposed to be resting on or is she supposed to fly the plane in Frankenstein-pose?

Wakanda uses the Microsoft Kinect™ on all its aircraft.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lobok posted:

Wakanda uses the Microsoft Kinect™ on all its aircraft.

Turns out Vibranium is all you need to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dexo posted:

Turns out Vibranium is all you need to make it work detect black people.

• Locked thread