Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I believe YorHa is only planning on eradicating the bad machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014
All I have to say is :yokotaro:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Know Such Peace posted:

Oh that's all right then, I'm so relieved.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I am super excited to watch route C. I think like 90% of the thread has already played it judging by their reactions. HERE WE GOOOOO!!!!

Also to quote 2 pages ago. Yes, a Yoko Taro visual novel would be like Doki Doki literature club.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

In today's news:

Yoko Taro Wants To Make Drakengard And NieR Sequels As Well As An Adult Video Someday
http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/1..._medium=twitter

"Q: What if you were to make the next NieR title?

Yoko Taro: I think I’d imagine a NieR: Automata sequel that everyone is thinking about, then make something that is not that. I’m going to ruin it, is what I’m thinking."

This is why he's the best.

Drakengard! Four!

(I can't wait for the ending Yoko Taro said was "a good ending... well, I think so, anyway."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I love the touch that 2B's "vision" is in black and white due to the armor, just like on the Bunker.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Know Such Peace posted:

The only good machine is a dead machine.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Wait... What? Why would they want to win? There aren't any humans to take Earth back. The whole point, unless I totally misunderstand it, is to give the androids something to fight for so they don't get depressed and die. If they actually win, and humans don't show up to resettle Earth, what they hell to they do? I guess you can play the "rebuild civilization" card for a while, but that's going to run out eventually. An eternal stalemate is the end-goal.

Oh, this is going to end so, so poorly, one way or another.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Well, presumably if the machines are defeated the truth about humanity can be revealed and androids can find something new to live for (maybe restoring them from the genetic data on the moon or something). It's just that it's not very helpful to have an existential crisis while the war is still going on.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Y'all worry too much. The game's director is on record saying it has a happy ending. Everything's going to be fine. :unsmith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Drakengard happy endings would make even a Russian author say "man that's some depressing poo poo."

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only real disappointment at this stage was that 9s was quickly shoved back into an android body rather than puttering around as a giant machine boy for a bit.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Who's to say that the machines aren't the real 9s at this point and our new copy is just that? Hell, that would even explain the sudden dire need to eradicate all machines

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Karia posted:

Wait... What? Why would they want to win? There aren't any humans to take Earth back. The whole point, unless I totally misunderstand it, is to give the androids something to fight for so they don't get depressed and die. If they actually win, and humans don't show up to resettle Earth, what they hell to they do? I guess you can play the "rebuild civilization" card for a while, but that's going to run out eventually. An eternal stalemate is the end-goal.

Oh, this is going to end so, so poorly, one way or another.

You're assuming they're being led to victory. That's a dangerous assumption to make.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It seems pretty ballsy to hide half your game away in a place where a lot of people may just flat out never see it. I wonder how many got bored with all the repeated content in Route B and just stopped playing.

I have a real real bad feeling about this Route C business and I don't like those uniforms at all. :ohdear:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zoe posted:

It seems pretty ballsy to hide half your game away in a place where a lot of people may just flat out never see it. I wonder how many got bored with all the repeated content in Route B and just stopped playing.

With steam achievements we can actually (somewhat) know! 42.1% of people got ending A, while 29.5% got ending B. So definitely a non-insignificant number of people.

e: And apparently almost everyone who got ending A went on to do at least 1 hack with 9S, so it wasn't just them stopping at A and being done with it.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 17, 2017

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
I have absolute faith that we'll reach that happy ending Darth Yoko Taro discussed about. After all, what could possibly go wrong?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

ultrafilter posted:

Y'all worry too much. The game's director is on record saying it has a happy ending. Everything's going to be fine. :unsmith:

Yeah, but that happy ending was "2B abandons 9S at Copied City."

It's all :yokotaro: from here on out. :unsmigghh:

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Glazius posted:

You're assuming they're being led to victory. That's a dangerous assumption to make.

Yeah, that's kind of where I'm thinking this may go. "All these androids know that we defeated the machine's leaders. So let's kill them all off and start a new bunch."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Bruceski posted:

Drakengard happy endings would make even a Russian author say "man that's some depressing poo poo."

"The sky shattering and releasing a rain of flesh-devouring giant baby revenants was at least an interesting touch though."

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I dunno, I think Yoko Taro's lost his touch. 2 out of 3 endings completed already and nothing significantly bad has happened yet? Nothing super WTF has happened since the robo orgy making a robo womb that spat out a naked Sephiroth who in turn spat out a second naked Sephiroth, way back at the beginning of Route A? I mean, what the hell.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Considering the kind of people who lived in the Drakengard world, the sky shattering and space babies eating everyone actually was a good ending. Can you imagine if Caim SURVIVED Ending E?

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

With steam achievements we can actually (somewhat) know! 42.1% of people got ending A, while 29.5% got ending B. So definitely a non-insignificant number of people.

e: And apparently almost everyone who got ending A went on to do at least 1 hack with 9S, so it wasn't just them stopping at A and being done with it.

This is par for the course for games these days. People don't finish games, they just buy them and let them sit in their backlog after playing maybe half of it.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, I think Yoko Taro's lost his touch.

This is why I said earlier, if you're familiar with his work then yeah, you're not gonna get surprised. This game isn't about the weird twists. If anything you have all the pieces of the puzzle you need to figure out what's gonna happen next. It's how it happens that make the game work.

KamikazePotato posted:

This is par for the course for games these days. People don't finish games, they just buy them and let them sit in their backlog after playing maybe half of it.

I have games in my backlog I haven't even started yet! :v:

Don't worry Skies of Arcadia, I'm sure I'll get to you someday...

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only real disappointment at this stage was that 9s was quickly shoved back into an android body rather than puttering around as a giant machine boy for a bit.

Honestly that confuses me. Like, 9S was so corrupted by hacking Eve that 2B had to kill him. Then he copies himself over to the machine network and that somehow makes him... less corrupted?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

KamikazePotato posted:

Look, I WOULD play all my AAA games but FFRK is rereleasing all their old dungeons for a few weeks and I've got a phone that needs tapping.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I'm not judging. I've been meaning to start Prey for the past two weeks but Fire Emblem Heroes is just always there, only a tap away.

Skies of Arcadia is a fantastic game though so I recommend getting to that eventually!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I have games in my backlog I haven't even started yet! :v:

In all seriousness, Skies of Arcadia is a game worth playing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Oh man, that's almost criminal. I sympathise though.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

Qrr posted:

Honestly that confuses me. Like, 9S was so corrupted by hacking Eve that 2B had to kill him. Then he copies himself over to the machine network and that somehow makes him... less corrupted?

The 9S consciousness data in his android body was irreparably corrupted by breaching the deepest parts of the network. Presumably the traces of his data he accidentally left behind that propagated itself throughout the machines were on the safer, outer layer of the network.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Schwartzcough posted:

I dunno, I think Yoko Taro's lost his touch. 2 out of 3 endings completed already and nothing significantly bad has happened yet? Nothing super WTF has happened since the robo orgy making a robo womb that spat out a naked Sephiroth who in turn spat out a second naked Sephiroth, way back at the beginning of Route A? I mean, what the hell.

They call them endings but really, they're more the endings of Acts 1 and 2, since C path is after both of them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Qrr posted:

Or the 9S here is the one they rebooted from the pre-mission backup, and machine-9S has gone into hiding to avoid being killed.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

Qrr posted:

It's like a 1-type RAID array - he copies his whole consciousness over every single machine's internal storage, and then links them all together and outputs from a single source. That way, even if one copy has parts that are corrupted, other parts probably won't be corrupted in the same place, and their non-corrupt copies can simply be accessed instead. The massive redundancy protects him by making it unlikely that every part of his consciousness will be corrupted at the same time.

Also the copying over to the machine network happened before he started getting corrupted by contact with Eve, I believe. It's not quite clear, but it is kind of implied.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Or the 9S here is the one they rebooted from the pre-mission backup, and machine-9S has gone into hiding to avoid being killed.

its would not be an up to date backup, he halted syncing when he hacked the server

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
This is where we find out that every single machine that we've killed has actually been 9S all along, right?

Maybe the machines have all been 9S for thousands of years. :smith:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Picayune posted:

This is where we find out that every single machine that we've killed has actually been 9S all along, right?

I thought you lot were trying to predict bad stuff?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Picayune posted:

Why the frown?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The preview makes me think the androids have gone full fascist and that we're going to fight them as A2 or something. Perhaps defending the village from them for some reason.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Renoistic posted:

The preview makes me think the androids have gone full fascist and that we're going to fight them as A2 or something.

You didn't think they were fascist with the fancy uniforms and weird salutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Ratoslov posted:

You didn't think they were fascist with the fancy uniforms and weird salutes?

"Full" fascist. Gothic Lolita dresses and high heels didn't exactly scream fascist oppressors at first, no. Seeing everyone in battle gear definitely ups the ante, even if "Sexy Kerberos" Halloween costume is an apt description.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread