Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Watched the two towers recently and had to fight the real temptation to stop making an entire game and make Helm's Deep.

There actually should *not* be a door at the wall breach, and it's not really a proper helm's deep map if you don't 3D model the concentric, tiered inner bridges.

Eh I wish my YT upload hadn't pooped itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Watched the two towers recently and had to fight the real temptation to stop making an entire game and make Helm's Deep.

Somebody already beat you to it. It's a custom map that was made pretty early in the game.

It's alright although the underground aqueduct place is a bit wonky and the map as a whole is too open for my liking.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yea if it's the one I'm thinking of it was amusing but not very well balanced. I think everything spawned out in the field outside the wall (I guess it would have to) so everybody would just set up on the walkway leading to the main door and focus fire everything down. You got lots of kills but it wasn't the most engaging gameplay.

I'm torn with my Berserker playstyle preference. I really love the DR perk, being able to wade into Sirens and Bloats without instantly melting to half health is great. BUT without the Parry buff it takes ages to kill Scrakes and FPs. One game on zedlanding I was the last one left with 2 FP some other stuff. I managed to kite them all around the map like 3 times but eventually them trading off rage rushes wore me down.

I feel like I'm having to choose between killing lots of trash or needing to play more conservatively and be able to take down heavies effectively. I guess that's intentional, but I want to do both dammit :(

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can always fish for parries on trash and go to town on everything.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've started trying to do that, but unless a zed has a big obvious windup like Gorefasts it can be hard to tell when an attack triggers a 'hit' on my character. I guess I should just start focusing on starting every encounter with a parry and try to get used to everything's twitchy-rear end animations. I will make it my goal to live in the HDR zone as much as possible.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
https://trello.com/b/ZOwMRlcW/killing-floor-2-roadmap

They updated their Trello board. According to it, the update this month will include Daily Objectives, new dialogue options, and some balance changes along with the King Pound, and the winter update will include the winter seasonal zeds, a new boss (probably the Matriarch, hooray), more new weapons, and another new map.

Anyways they have a vote for what new features to focus on in the future. Some interesting ones in question are Discord integration, new bosses, endless mode, prestiging, and new seasonal events.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Please no prestiging, pleasee

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As someone who doesn't play a lot of other online/team shooters, what does prestige usually entail?

Also for fucks sake TW quit gimping my dialogue options because of the PS4 version :argh: In KF1 I had every single key on my keyboard mapped to something or other and half of them were voice clips. At least give us 'Thank you' so I can stop spamming 'Affirmative' whenever someone heals me or gives me dosh.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Takes No Damage posted:

As someone who doesn't play a lot of other online/team shooters, what does prestige usually entail?

Also for fucks sake TW quit gimping my dialogue options because of the PS4 version :argh: In KF1 I had every single key on my keyboard mapped to something or other and half of them were voice clips. At least give us 'Thank you' so I can stop spamming 'Affirmative' whenever someone heals me or gives me dosh.

Prestige just resets your levels and gives a shiny gold star sticker for being a good little zed killer.

Some games give rewards in addition, such as faster XP gains, exclusive cosmetics, or even outright better stat modifiers. Lazy games just give you the sticker.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Huh, well as long as they don't lock legit better gear behind it I guess I'd be OK with that. I just hit 25 in my 2nd class tonight and I do miss the little XP notifications whenever something dies. How about every Prestige level you can select one more simultaneous perk until at Prestige 5 you can have the whole board active at once :getin:

Speaking of hitting lv25, I saw a weird bug when it happened. It was like my perks got reset to the left side of the chart, so my Berserker regen immediately changed to having 175 max health. But then as soon as the wave ended it snapped back, super weird.

I think I've finally found my preferred 'zerk strat, a happy medium between the speed of the katana and the single hit damage of the Bonebreaker. I tried swapping out the katana for the Pulverizer and it felt pretty good, light attacks were still pretty quick and I was knocking zeds all over the place which was hilarious. Then I've still got the explosive damage of heavy attack for FPs and staggering Scrakes. And the 'move in realtime in Zedtime' perk is ridiculous, I can sprint 10 yards away and still get in like 10 headshots on a falling Scrake.

FantasticExtrusion
Sep 3, 2017

Imagine if this game has been around in the 90's when people were blowing up about D&D

Edit:lol @ the inveitable bloat bumbling around in every gif waiting to get killed last because he's the least threatening

FantasticExtrusion fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Oct 13, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hey bloats are totally worth shooting

when you need to get the rack 'em up bonuses to use on other, more important zeds easily.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

FantasticExtrusion posted:

Imagine if this game has been around in the 90's when people were blowing up about D&D

Edit:lol @ the inveitable bloat bumbling around in every gif waiting to get killed last because he's the least threatening

Bloats are weird how they sneak their ways into everything. I made a video that was mostly innocuous until I noticed through editing that for some reason there was a Bloat in the footage hiding away somewhere, and I decided to make that the focus instead.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In KF1 they were virtually a nonissue, even off-perk a single LAR round would decap them. Since they gave bloat heads like 80% global DR they have an easier time actually getting within barf range, and on Suicidal and up the damage and screen effect can really gently caress you up. Blocking as a mechanic is still kind of lovely but overall I'd say they're a better enemy than in KF1. Plus their belly bump attack is pretty great.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Takes No Damage posted:

In KF1 they were virtually a nonissue, even off-perk a single LAR round would decap them. Since they gave bloat heads like 80% global DR they have an easier time actually getting within barf range, and on Suicidal and up the damage and screen effect can really gently caress you up. Blocking as a mechanic is still kind of lovely but overall I'd say they're a better enemy than in KF1. Plus their belly bump attack is pretty great.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one who calls it the belly bump.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
It took forever (since this game came out on early access) but I finally have all classes at level 25. All cept Survivalist but I'm not counting it. I frankly don't want a prestige simply because it already takes you forever to get one class to max level. Even with a xp boost it would still take a month to get one class near 25. Bloats suck at higher difficulties simply because they are needless bullet sponges. You have to expend so much ammo to get rid of them.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I find a lot of enemies become obnoxious to fight even at Hard difficulty*, I can't imagine how awful they are at the higher levels

*but that might just be because I'm a console player so a lot of the perks are a lot harder to play effectively(like playing any perk heavily reliant on headshots is awful)

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I find a lot of enemies become obnoxious to fight even at Hard difficulty*, I can't imagine how awful they are at the higher levels

*but that might just be because I'm a console player so a lot of the perks are a lot harder to play effectively(like playing any perk heavily reliant on headshots is awful)

That just sounds terrible. I didn't realize it was so terrible on consoles. That invalidates like three or four of the funnest classes.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Skoll posted:

That just sounds terrible. I didn't realize it was so terrible on consoles. That invalidates like three or four of the funnest classes.

Admittedly it's only crippling for Sharpshooter and Gunslinger, but it definitely does make several other perks harder as well

Also personally I kinda think having melee weapon swing direction be affected by the direction you're moving in to be a terrible, terrible idea, makes playing Berserker a lot more annoying than it should be

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
But GS is just as fun as berserker, it sounds real bad if you cant role play rick grimes

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Bloats: The Harvey Winestein of Zeds. Always off in the corner, bumbling towards you just waiting to dump their ooze all over you.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Revolver Bunker posted:

It took forever (since this game came out on early access) but I finally have all classes at level 25. All cept Survivalist but I'm not counting it. I frankly don't want a prestige simply because it already takes you forever to get one class to max level. Even with a xp boost it would still take a month to get one class near 25. Bloats suck at higher difficulties simply because they are needless bullet sponges. You have to expend so much ammo to get rid of them.

I don't think the XP grind is so bad, though I've been playing since just after launch and am just now starting to hit 25s. But I've noticed that by playing regularly, 2 or 3 winning games a night, it doesn't take more than a day to clear the higher levels, maybe 2 days for lv23 and 3 for lv24. It probably feels faster since I'm focusing down each class now instead of swapping around between them.

I wouldn't be opposed to a prestige system if the bonus was significant enough. Like I said having +1 simultaneous perk active per prestige level sounds really fun, pretty much every class would become strong as gently caress. Dump +12% XP gains per prestige level on top of that and I'd definitely play. Of course I'm assuming they'd also cook up some additional difficulty levels for our new supermen to play around in. Hire me TW.

And Bloats are still annoying me but for a different reason now. My hammer keeps knocking them on their rear end, which is great, but they keep getting up. I can keep shutting down like 4 Bloats at once but it takes 30 seconds to kill them all, it went faster with the katana because then at least they didn't keep falling over.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
You can stunlock Bloats by using your default knife's stab attack repeatedly. It's not particularly effective and they usually get at least one puke on you, but it's funny.

Otherwise the rule of thumb is to treat a Bloat the same you would a husk. It's worth using a rocket launcher/railgun for. Other options include a grenade launcher headshot, a double barrel blast, a Zweihander overhead, or a good old fashioned magdump from your tier 3 weapons. Firebug is a pretty definitive anti-Bloat regardless, since he's weak to both fire and microwave damage.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I just hope we see a Bloat model that is wearing denim cut-offs and a belly shirt. Trailer park trash zeds.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't think the XP grind is so bad, though I've been playing since just after launch and am just now starting to hit 25s. But I've noticed that by playing regularly, 2 or 3 winning games a night, it doesn't take more than a day to clear the higher levels, maybe 2 days for lv23 and 3 for lv24. It probably feels faster since I'm focusing down each class now instead of swapping around between them.

I've played this game for a year and am only now starting to be able to play the game the way it should be played does not sound like "not so bad" to me. I mean I guess if you like stupid numbers going up this could be OK.

I unlocked all the classes @ level 25 and never looked back. Limiting content in this fashion never makes sense to me. At least for this type of game.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
For me the grind was okay up to lvl 15, borderline tolerable up to 20 and absolute hell up to 25. I don't blame anyone for unlocking the classes the way the grind is now, but at least for the first few levels the experience and perk levels rise at a nice pace.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Takes No Damage posted:

I wouldn't be opposed to a prestige system if the bonus was significant enough. Like I said having +1 simultaneous perk active per prestige level sounds really fun, pretty much every class would become strong as gently caress. Dump +12% XP gains per prestige level on top of that and I'd definitely play. Of course I'm assuming they'd also cook up some additional difficulty levels for our new supermen to play around in. Hire me TW.

And Bloats are still annoying me but for a different reason now. My hammer keeps knocking them on their rear end, which is great, but they keep getting up. I can keep shutting down like 4 Bloats at once but it takes 30 seconds to kill them all, it went faster with the katana because then at least they didn't keep falling over.

True but I feel like the XP grind in this game is particularly extended. I have almost 500 hours played on the game and just now have 9 of the 10 classes at 25 and my last class survivalist is at 21. In that amount of time on a game that has prestige like CoD it would have prestige at least twice in that many hours. If they do put that in the bonuses better be worth all the time sunk into it and the time it will take to get them back to level 25.

I would like them to add enough weapons that I don't feel locked to a few weapons. I'm super excited about the Medic bazooka even it its more of a single shot brain leech. Medic class really does need more weapons in its choices. I want a life stealing/healing blade that I can swing around.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the xp grind in this game is wholly unforgivable and i don't see how anyone could say otherwise. you play a specific class for something like 30-50 hours (depending on the class and your in-game habits) to max it out. you do not loving need between one and a half and two full days of game play to understand a single class. you might need that for your first class, but not all the ones afterward. micro-improvements like aiming or whatever do not count toward this learning process.

you should be maxing out a class with like 10 hours of play tops.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Coolguye posted:

the xp grind in this game is wholly unforgivable and i don't see how anyone could say otherwise.

some people have real psychological attachment problems to a franchise they like :v:

but generally - yes, I agree, the grind is atrocious, being per class just means it's ten times as atrocious. And it's frustrating when you get one class up to 25 and are taking on Suicidal/HOE and it's all good, then you switch to a new one at 0 and you're either deadweight or playing Normal. Neither is appealing.

I strongly advocate for anyone who's thinking the grind is bad, cheat your classes to 20. Or 25. I don't care. Don't let the grind be a block in the way of you having fun unless you genuinely enjoy grinding for grinding's sake. You can do it with Cheat Engine or you can use a boosting map to get yourself from 0 to 10-15 fairly reasonably - the curve is bad enough that after 15 it's really better just to use CE.

If you're going to have fun in this game, it's likely not going to be at perk level 5, so just skip that poo poo.

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 16, 2017

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I only just got back into this game a few days ago after quitting it when it was still early access because the XP grind was so ridiculously grindy. I remember going onto a server one time with a custom kill cage that spawned zeds so people could sit there and grind their levels and even then it took loving forever. I got only support up to 15 before I quit playing. Since I started playing a few days ago though I got Support up to 17 after playing three matches, which seems better I guess. I don't see myself leveling too many other classes, if any, to max level. I don't like the game that much.

e;

Psion posted:

I strongly advocate for anyone who's thinking the grind is bad, cheat your classes to 20. Or 25. I don't care. Don't let the grind be a block in the way of you having fun unless you genuinely enjoy grinding for grinding's sake. You can do it with Cheat Engine or you can use a boosting map to get yourself from 0 to 10-15 fairly reasonably - the curve is bad enough that after 15 it's really better just to use CE.

If you're going to have fun in this game, it's likely not going to be at perk level 5, so just skip that poo poo.

On the other hand, do you have more information on this? I've never used Cheat Engine before. Is there a thread somewhere detailing the process? I'll cheat everything to 25 gently caress it.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 17, 2017

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

some people have real psychological attachment problems to a franchise they like :v:

but generally - yes, I agree, the grind is atrocious, being per class just means it's ten times as atrocious. And it's frustrating when you get one class up to 25 and are taking on Suicidal/HOE and it's all good, then you switch to a new one at 0 and you're either deadweight or playing Normal. Neither is appealing.

The riot this would cause on the steam discussion threads would be delicious.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
My plan has always been the following

Time to level, rank 1-20: 1 win per level, 1-3ish losses per level.

Time to level, rank 21-25: 2 wins per level, 4-5ish losses per level.

Add prestige so the sperglords have something to cling to, make rank 25 prestige 3 take four years of grinding for all I care.

Just make it so you can get to 25 in one class after about a week of semi-giving-a-poo poo so you can actually bring new people into the game and give them something fun to do instead of getting to level 4ish and quitting because the class system does gently caress-all for them in the timespan of a free weekend.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
All it needs is to raise the xp values on trash zeds because getting 11 xp on every difficulty aside from normal is dumb.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They need to raise the bonus xp for perk kills. Demos get piddly for killing FPs when they could just play on hard with a nuke build and spam the grenade launcher killing all the trash through a choke.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
3xp per heal is also hilarious bad. Are they really afraid of people cheesing it? It should be like 20 xp per heal.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The one true way to level your medic is to shoot the boss with a medpistol first to split the boss xp reward.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You should get bonus XP equal to the total level of all of your perks, so the second one is 25% faster, the third one is 50% faster, etc. Once you've leveled a few perks to 25 you pretty much know what's going on.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Upmarket Mango posted:

On the other hand, do you have more information on this? I've never used Cheat Engine before. Is there a thread somewhere detailing the process? I'll cheat everything to 25 gently caress it.

I found a cheat engine file via google, somewhere on the official CE forums. The process is basically load a map, launch CE, hook into KF2, select the character level you want (it has increments of 5, so you can select 5/10/15/20/25), kill zed to trigger the levelup, sometimes more than one. Eventually, you'll hit your target level, then finish the round - that seems important to saving progress correctly.

Sometimes it puts you 1 level below and 1 kill away from your target level, so for example 24 and 99.9999% progress. Just play another short game and get a kill and it should stick the second time, if that happens.

Elysiume posted:

You should get bonus XP equal to the total level of all of your perks, so the second one is 25% faster, the third one is 50% faster, etc. Once you've leveled a few perks to 25 you pretty much know what's going on.

This would be a much more elegant and non-cheaty solution, I like it. It accepts that the game has a learning curve without pretending each and every perk has a learning curve the same length as the first.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 17, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Upmarket Mango posted:

You can see if the following trainer still works. It's what I used.

https://community.wemod.com/t/killing-floor-2-cheats-and-trainer/15064

Basically started a solo game, set max level enabled in trainer, killed a thing, left match to save, rinse repeat for all the classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This patch is pretty big- I'm showing 4.5GB in Steam. Are they always so big? I haven't played for long. Patch notes for the new changes here. There's a lot there, but the highlights are a new boss, a big nerf to Normal, the Dosh Vault (which looks like a new currency for unlocks?), a new map, and a huge pile of bugfixes.