Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

ijyt posted:

Does anyone have experience with doing commissions? Trying to figure out pricing for something.

If they agree to whatever buck wild price you give them, you hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mugaaz posted:

I based a large model using GW Martian Ironcrust. I highlighted it in a light orange and very light pass of off white. I mostly like how it looks, but on a large base it all looks similar and doesn't have much visual interest. Any ideas how to make this more interesting with paint/pigment?

P.S. yes the blood red in the grey rocks is crap. Already fixing that.

Yeah, you definitely need debris, rocks or skulls.

I run into the same problem with my bases, especially on the bigger dudes.

OptimusWang posted:

Looks awesome dude, nice work.

Thanks!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Love the lenses. If I were you I would give the red hoses around the face a light wash to add some shadows, but it's a minor thing. Also drill your stubber barrel (is that what that is next to the battle cannon).

Thanks for pointing that out. I actually forgot to hit them with a satin varnish and edge Nuln Oil in there, which is why they look duller than the rest. Also, yeah, heavy stubber. I keep forgetting to!

I'm trying to push myself with certain things on models. Lenses were one of them. Tried my hand at the tried and true layered blue in bottom half method.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ijyt posted:

Does anyone have experience with doing commissions? Trying to figure out pricing for something.

Your time is valuable. Go way higher than you think you deserve.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
The rule of thumb I've always used for contract work is to take what I'd like to be paid as a real job and then double it. This mainly applies to 1099 work, where you've got to deal with self-employment taxes and suchlike. You might be going under-the-table for this, but I think it's worth looking at from the perspective of, "What if this were my Actual Job?"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I was trying to get the last bit of paint out of a bottle, which caused it to explode and get shiny purple paint all over my airbrushing station and pants. No mans were harmed, thankfully.

This has been my story.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I was trying to get the last bit of paint out of a bottle, which caused it to explode and get shiny purple paint all over my airbrushing station and pants. No mans were harmed, thankfully.

This has been my story.

This is a sad story.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

ijyt posted:

My best advice is to figure out what your time is worth to you, make a good guess about how long it will take you, then add 15 to 20% on top of that.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This has been my story.

It could be worse. At least it's shiny and purple.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is Vallejo primer good for brushing on? It’s going to be getting too cold to spray outside soon and I need an alternative. Any particular one I should look for?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hixson posted:

Finished some NightBoi tanks

:yikes:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hixson posted:

extrem handsome

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

These are really good. The lightning bolts themselves could be a little more prominent though. They kind of get swallowed up by the aura/glow effects.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 17, 2017

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Hixson posted:

Good Batmobiles

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Hixson posted:

Owns. Blue recipe tia.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Funzo posted:

Is Vallejo primer good for brushing on? It’s going to be getting too cold to spray outside soon and I need an alternative. Any particular one I should look for?

I am a fan of their white poly primer as a brush-on. It provides a nice painting surface and bonding but don't go for opaque coverage.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Black will give you nearly full coverage if you are particular about that. Be very careful about brushing it on too thick, it doesn't "shrink" as much as acrylic paint and will easily clog up details.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Leave me alone

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

gently caress you so much.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

So for our anniversary my wife made me this:

The brain is an anatomical foam model that can come apart and has the different parts labelled. The rest is made from PVC pipe, leftover parts from a toilet and her old car. I'm pretty happy with it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Takuan posted:

So for our anniversary my wife made me this:
It's official: you can keep her.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ijyt posted:

Do you have a job? Figure out how much you make per hour before taxes - that's how much your time is ostensibly worth. You're going to want to keep your cost somewhere around that because you're giving up your free time to do this project. Remember that it's no longer "hobby" time when you're doing it for someone else.

Also, have a look at pricing for some of the more popular services:

Den of Imagination
White Weasel

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Anyone know what this weathering technique they used on the cloak is called or how it's done? (Not the wash)

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Mugaaz posted:

Anyone know what this weathering technique they used on the cloak is called or how it's done? (Not the wash)

Those chains are sweet.

It looks to me like they layered normally and just did an extreme highlight on the edges, but in more of a crosshatch fashion to give it texture.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Do you have a job? Figure out how much you make per hour before taxes - that's how much your time is ostensibly worth. You're going to want to keep your cost somewhere around that because you're giving up your free time to do this project. Remember that it's no longer "hobby" time when you're doing it for someone else.

Also, have a look at pricing for some of the more popular services:

Den of Imagination
White Weasel

These guys seem to be massively undercharging.

e: that and commission work would be even better hobby time, not only would I get paid for doing something I would be anyway I don’t have to worry about finding space for the finished product.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Those chains are sweet.

It looks to me like they layered normally and just did an extreme highlight on the edges, but in more of a crosshatch fashion to give it texture.

That's a large part of it, but there is other stuff going on I don't understand. Some of the hatches are obvious, but in other places I can't tell what's going on.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mugaaz posted:

That's a large part of it, but there is other stuff going on I don't understand. Some of the hatches are obvious, but in other places I can't tell what's going on.

Base Colour -> Sepia Wash -> Bring back base colour on raised area -> first highlight crosshatch, slightly lighter than base, everywhere but the recesses -> even lighter highlight crosshatch, only on the raised edges.

e: looks like it might have had a zenithal prime too.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 17, 2017

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ijyt posted:

These guys seem to be massively undercharging.

e: that and commission work would be even better hobby time, not only would I get paid for doing something I would be anyway I don’t have to worry about finding space for the finished product.

You have to remember that at a basic level, you're looking at an airbrush base, maybe a wash, and some flat colors. These guys have been doing this for some time, so they can assembly--line a squad of ten SM infantry in like an hour (10x$10=$100 per hour!) A Level 3 (what I would consider a decent tabletop troop quality is $20 per SM, so you're still looking at around $100 per hour.

If you're cool with doing it for funsies and getting a few bucks to go along with that, by all means, do it. For me, personally, once I'm doing something for someone else, it ceases to be fun/hobby due to the fact that now someone is requesting updates, waffling on color schemes, deciding that they don't want to pay because the end product isn't up to their standards, etc.

And one important thing to remember about doing something for fun/or as a favor - people will ALWAYS take advantage of you, whether they mean to or not. This applies to painting minis, setting up a home network, or doing a brake job in your driveway. Once you open that door, it's really hard to close it without serious drama.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin'

Safety Factor posted:

Finally finished another squad after forging through various distractions like Catachans and SLAMBO. It's been a long, long time. I've continued my trend of Too Many Checkers and simple individual heraldry. It's probably too much work for simple tactical marines, but I think it's been worth it. I also used 10 phobos pattern bolters and 10 chainswords from the MkIII kit as I had a bunch laying around. My MkIII are being used as support/heavy support squads so they don't need them. I really like the look of the MkIV armor with the MkIII weapons and wish I had done all of my tacticals like that.

I definitely feel like my second squad is an improvement on the first. Between projects like my terminator chaplain and the aforementioned Catachans and SLAMBO, I really feel like I've gotten better over the last year or so.

The sergeant, vexilla, vox operator, and a couple of normal guys. It's not visible, but the sergeant's shoulder pad is bone bisected by a checkered stripe. The squad's heraldry is meant to emulate that as well. The sergeant is magnetized for power sword or power fist.

The mooks:

Here's all that I have painted so far:

Next up, three rhinos METAL BOXES. I plan on emulating these squads' heraldry on the top hatches to mark them out. It's been a long time since I've painted vehicles and I'm pretty excited. I still have my Lord of War Toxx to do too. :shepface:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Here are my latest attempts at highlights. Am I simply highlighting the wrong places, or am I painting too wide of areas?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 18, 2017

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Phi230 posted:

Here are my latest attempts at highlights. Am I simply highlighting the wrong places, or am I painting too wide of areas?

You're highlighting the correct areas. Are you trying to do multiple layers, or just a simple base - wash - layer method?

Either way, looking from the back, you're doing it right. Inside the folds should be darker than the flat areas on top. Also looking at the cap, you're doing it correctly there as well. Edges should be lighter than the center, although for a hat the highlighting would be different depending on where the light source is coming from. That's a bit advanced though.

Overall, you're on the right track, from what we can see! It might be easier to give better advice if we had clearer shots.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Now with completed base. Only took two tries.

Here's the Imgur album on the process of creating the base, including the creation of the first base, which I threw out.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:hf: don’t see enough forest bases in 40k.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

This is real real good. Even zoomed in I can barely tell that you even highlighted the Marine. It all looks so drat good together. :swoon:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That's a really great marine and the linked basing tutorial is really awesome, go and read it if you skipped over it.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

TTerrible posted:

That's a really great marine and the linked basing tutorial is really awesome, go and read it if you skipped over it.

Thanks.

I have one for the marine as well.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

I like the black method. I've only ever done one black marine I was happy with and I headed in a blue/green direction for the highlight instead of grey. I kind of want to give it a go with your grey method.

I've been using Primaris characters for testing paint schemes. As much as 8th edition has turned me off 40k, the normal primaris bolter toting dudes are great test minis for cheap.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for posting this dude. I want to base my entire Deathwatch army in a forest scheme, so this definitely helps.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I am not a good painter nor am I a good photographer, but it's been years since I painted a complete model so damnit I want to post that I did a thing

Vindicare:
Man, I really muddied that white up. The camera is brutal.

Seraphim:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I really like your forest base and your tutorial for it is an added bonus. That said, drat dude, that's so many steps for a base! I finally found someone more meticulous than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Cross post from 40k thread:

Major Spag posted:

Been doing one off for a hobby challenge so here is hombre dos of my ten dudemans squad:

He's partially from the old 3rd edition BA honoUr guard squad i've had since 2001. Finally painted the guy up.

For reference, here is his squad buddies and the captain they are supposed to protect. Mind you, they were painted years ago so there slightly more rough than current marines. Missing is the jump techmarine who I am waiting for special bits to make better.