Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

The what-now? I've been using the ground takedown shield skill too because I've been holding on to that wraith shield so much. How do you ever finish a ground execution? Or does ground drain have more I-frames?

It's an upgrade to consume, that lets you spend focus to brand a few orcs at once. Pretty good for getting an instant little army going, which you can capitalize on a lot more easily than just doing a single orc here and there who immediately gets ganged up on since he's alone. The ring runes that make your orcs take half damage are super helpful too.

As for ground drains, it feels like enemies are less likely to attack you during one compared to executions. I find it's near impossible to get executions off on Nemesis without the Wraith Shield, but I can get brands off relatively easily. And if it doesn't pan out it's not such a big deal because when one does land it heals you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm confused. (haven't bought the game yet but played the last one)

Everybody keeps talking about how orcs keep coming back from the dead over and over again. Is there any surefire way of getting rid of an ork or is it just random whether or not they stay dead?

It's random, and on the whole it's not too common. Like, at this point I must have murdered at least 50 captains, but only had three or so come back. It's just that the ones coming back are so memorable that people tend to talk about them a lot. Though it does seem that if an orc managed to cheat death at least once, they're relatively more likely to manage it again in the future. Anyhow, so far there doesn't seem to be any surefire way to guarantee they stay dead, not even through decapitations.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had a guy named Skun The Mindless who just kept mumbling/yelling "I dunno!"

Like that was his only line

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Jack Trades posted:

It's random.

Yeah, even decapitating them isn't a guarantee anymore. One of my Olog bodyguards smashed another Olog captain's head to smithereens and he came back a few hours later as a ghost-white Legendary who'd been stitched back together like Frankenstein.

That said, if another orc takes their slot on the Army screen I think that means they're dead for good, just like in the first game.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I had a guy named Skun The Mindless who just kept mumbling/yelling "I dunno!"

Like that was his only line

He owns, but I killed him, so I don't own

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
There's all these memorable orcs running around but the main way of interacting with them is to kill them, so I kill all the interesting ones. :(

Also, in general, don't use Ologs during siege assaults because they'll tend to murder your allies more often than not.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I had a guy that would just say "Lookout! You better look out!" and nothing else.
On the final Shadow Wars mission I got owned by the very first captain that also happened to have No Last Chance, so I was due to starting over.

"Lookout! You better look out!"
The No Last Chance orc gets his head pierced by a crossbow bolt.

God bless you, the Lookout.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Cheers all, I'll give it a shot on Nemesis and pull back if I have to :darksouls:

If you find the early parts too annoying on Nemesis, you can get a pretty noticeable increase in power by doing the collectibles in the first city and then levelling only the skills needed to unlock the "Shadows of the Past" missions in the first area, because those give one free skill point if you finish them with one of the two optional objectives.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Randler posted:

If you find the early parts too annoying on Nemesis, you can get a pretty noticeable increase in power by doing the collectibles in the first city and then levelling only the skills needed to unlock the "Shadows of the Past" missions in the first area, because those give one free skill point if you finish them with one of the two optional objectives.
Also, doing story missions in general gives boatloads of experience so rushing them is a good call usually.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm actually going to take a break on this until I know when the tribes DLC is going to be out. I really want these new character types and looks to be woven into the completely wacko story that's happening in my game (it involves an insane semi-religious Olog named "The Herald" who's splattering his way across Mordor)

Also I'm so ready to see a Luchador wrestling game with a Nemesis system. Like my friend pointed out, a lot of the best stuff in this game is basically just run-ins.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Game is fun but it's really really frustrating that I can't just select "kill" when I dominate an orc that's too high level.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Skyl3lazer posted:

Game is fun but it's really really frustrating that I can't just select "kill" when I dominate an orc that's too high level.
This'd be a nice way to pop off heads. To be honest, I think I'd like it more if the chance of orcs coming back was higher unless they were dismembered/decapitated/head-popped, with those three each providing an increasingly larger penalty to their chance of returning. That way, accidentally killing someone would happen a bit less and you'd get more people returning and poo poo, while also giving you a bit more control over some orcs' fate if you just wanted them gone.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Elves don't get to go to an afterlife, right? If they're murdered they just cease to exist and it's only humanity that goes on to whatever heaven is right?
The elves just go to the west and all that right? How loving crowded is that place if all elves go there and never die?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Anyone encountered the captain that screams "SO SWEEET" about everything? Love that guy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm actually going to take a break on this until I know when the tribes DLC is going to be out. I really want these new character types and looks to be woven into the completely wacko story that's happening in my game (it involves an insane semi-religious Olog named "The Herald" who's splattering his way across Mordor)

Also I'm so ready to see a Luchador wrestling game with a Nemesis system. Like my friend pointed out, a lot of the best stuff in this game is basically just run-ins.

With how many run-ins and absurd twists the average battle in this game has, I too can't wait for the Death of WCW simulator.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Calaveron posted:

The Elves don't get to go to an afterlife, right? If they're murdered they just cease to exist and it's only humanity that goes on to whatever heaven is right?

No Elves have an afterlife, well more a waiting room. They go the Halls of Something or Other where they chill out until they get reincarnated. Humans dont get reincarnated, their souls go on to somewhere but nobody knows where except Iluvatar (God). Basically Elves are immortal and know exactly what is going to happen to them, humans don't.

Dwarves don't get an afterlife I dont think because they are not Children of Iluvatar like Elves and Men.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Anyone encountered the captain that screams "SO SWEEET" about everything? Love that guy.

I was up against an absolute monster of a keep commander who seemed nearly impossible to deal with. 20 seconds into my third attempt I was on the floor waiting for death, contemplating just leaving the region and leveling elsewhere. Then out of nowhere, it's SWEET, SO SWEET, SWEET SWEET SWEET and my sweet orcbud comes in to decapitate the lord. It was pretty sweet. I rewarded him with the fort, although he's a scrawny, twitchy little guy with unimpressive traits who doesn't look the part.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Random Integer posted:

No Elves have an afterlife, well more a waiting room. They go the Halls of Something or Other where they chill out until they get reincarnated. Humans dont get reincarnated, their souls go on to somewhere but nobody knows where except Iluvatar (God). Basically Elves are immortal and know exactly what is going to happen to them, humans don't.

Dwarves don't get an afterlife I dont think because they are not Children of Iluvatar like Elves and Men.

Where do nasty hobbitses fit in on that scale?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Ravenfood posted:

This'd be a nice way to pop off heads. To be honest, I think I'd like it more if the chance of orcs coming back was higher unless they were dismembered/decapitated/head-popped, with those three each providing an increasingly larger penalty to their chance of returning. That way, accidentally killing someone would happen a bit less and you'd get more people returning and poo poo, while also giving you a bit more control over some orcs' fate if you just wanted them gone.

That would be awesome. It would be a really cool extra layer of control to give the player, because sometimes we just hate the fucker and want it to die, and sometimes we root for it a bit.

Although really, if they ever did put anything like that in the game, they should make it a late-game ability because getting pissed off at an orc who just. won't. die. and actually feeling like he's your real life nemesis is half the appeal of the entire game.

sirnollem
Apr 12, 2008
Never mind I'm an idiot. Consume=/=Drain

sirnollem fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 17, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Random Integer posted:

According to the LotR Dwarves have their own hall in the Elf place. Sounds kinda like Valhalla.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

BigglesSWE posted:

Both him and the guy that screams "TASTY SO TASTY" are part of my army now. Too bad they're not in the same region, I'd totally make one of them bodyguard to the other.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

CharlestonJew posted:

Both him and the guy that screams "TASTY SO TASTY" are part of my army now. Too bad they're not in the same region, I'd totally make one of them bodyguard to the other.

Middle Earth: Dude, where's my Orc?

TSBX fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 17, 2017

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Dude, where's my caragor?

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I'm gonna be really depressed if the war troll I made (let a generic troll kill me), shamed, decapitated 3 times, graug stomped, and generi-murdered twice doesn't come back. Mostly because he's legendary and drops nice loot every time. He had amusing things to say about being decapitated again right after his previous decapitation. It boiled down to "It didn't work the first time, why do you think it would work this time?" and so... it didn't. Also didn't work the next time either.

But I don't think he's in the army list anymore, so I assume he's dead and gone forever. Which super sucks because I was finally going to make him my bestie but between my bodyguard going apeshit and the dozen wargs around I just couldn't give him the friendship smack.

I had a SO SWEET guy, but his schtick was kind of annoying.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I’m about to start my quest to fill forts with funny orcs.

Any idea how many orcs I need to fully staff a fort?

I’m sure the answer would take five minutes to discover in game but I’m not home yet. :)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

I’m sure the answer would take five minutes to discover in game but I’m not home yet. :)

3 with no fort upgrades, 7 with all upgrades.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thunder bowels is the best orc name. Im not even exactly sure what it implies but i love it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thunder bowels is the best orc name. Im not even exactly sure what it implies but i love it.

He farts

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Does the epic trait that summons a Graug work in pit fights? That sounds like it'd be pretty funny.

Also can fire proof captains still be lit on fire even if it does no damage?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Vargs posted:

I was up against an absolute monster of a keep commander who seemed nearly impossible to deal with. 20 seconds into my third attempt I was on the floor waiting for death, contemplating just leaving the region and leveling elsewhere. Then out of nowhere, it's SWEET, SO SWEET, SWEET SWEET SWEET and my sweet orcbud comes in to decapitate the lord. It was pretty sweet. I rewarded him with the fort, although he's a scrawny, twitchy little guy with unimpressive traits who doesn't look the part.

I love this game, but ultimately, I think it's the goon-stories that'll really stick with me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ConfusedUs posted:

7 total.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Caidin posted:

Where do nasty hobbitses fit in on that scale?

Hobbits are basically a subspecies of Men, so they go Where The Elves Know Not.

Elves are literally immortal, in that once they die, their body decays, but their soul goes to Valinor and waits around to have inner peace, and once that happens they're re-incarnated to a new body and have to stick around. Only Glorfindel has ever returned from Valinor to fight again.

The only other-side exception is Feanor (Celebrimbor's grandfather, for an amusing bit of lore that explains Celebrimbor in this game a bit better), who was basically such a selfish dick in life (as far as I can remember he's the only elf to even toe the line of falling to evil, and even then that was more 'rage against the gods and be hyper arrogant') that the Valar said "you don't get to come back."

Sky Shadowing fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 17, 2017

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This is kinda where I'm at, even though I'm loving it and just got to the fifth region I could see myself burning out on it before they even release said tribes if I go through to the end.

Also, am I weird for liking the city map more than any others? It's the only one that feels very unique to travel through and I liked stumbling on all the pitches battles between soldiers and orcs, and shanking a random captain in an alleyway has this great feel to it. All the other regions feel very similar, though I did like the layout of Seregost with its ice cavern fighting pits and the rickety walkways you can climp way up in eastern Cirith Ungol were pretty great too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Elves are literally immortal, in that once they die, their body decays, but their soul goes to Valinor and waits around to have inner peace, and once that happens they're re-incarnated to a new body and have to stick around. Only Glorfindel has ever returned from Valinor to fight again.

The only other-side exception is Feanor (Celebrimbor's grandfather, for an amusing bit of lore that explains Celebrimbor in this game a bit better), who was basically such a selfish dick in life (as far as I can remember he's the only elf to even toe the line of falling to evil, and even then that was more 'rage against the gods and be hyper arrogant') that the Valar said "you don't get to come back."

Before someone asks, half elves(like Elrond and Arwen) get a choice between immortality like Elves or mortality like Men. Once you choose mortality you can't go back though.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Sky Shadowing posted:

Fëanor strikes me more as stubbornly proud than evil. If you could call him evil, then it certainly wasn't of the same ilk as that of Morgoth and Sauron, Fëanor even being the one giving Melkor the new name of Morgoth (the black enemy). One could also claim that any of the real shady stuff that Fëanor or any of the high elves ever did was a result of the corrupt influence Morgoth had on Arda. The Kinslaying would be the hardest thing to forgive, and I'm pretty sure that the Valar never did.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RatHat posted:

According to the LotR Dwarves have their own hall in the Elf place. Sounds kinda like Valhalla.

Yeah, a bit of lore I remember is that what'shisface Iluvatar's sibling or something created dwarves without Iluvatar's permission and when he found out he got pissy and threatened to destroy the dwarves but seeing them cower made him realize they had a soul and were cool and allowed them to exist

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Wasnt Aragorn technically a half elf but he chose Man instead of Elf and Arwen was his cousin.

Tolkein knew what was up with the lineages of monarchies.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A free update that will be released together with the first DLC, the Slaughter Tribe, will include Endless Shadow Wars gamemode.

Even I am not interested that at all. Shadow Wars is the hands down the most dull part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Early game spoiler

I get that he is lore and knows the elf and all that poo poo but I'm tired of Gollum's ugly mug everywhere.

• Locked thread