Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Testekill posted:

Oh we could have matched whatever contract offers he received, he wanted out because 2003 Bulldogs were a loving abysmal team.

According to his Wiki it was because the Dogs were going to cut his pay because they were struggling financially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cmndstab posted:

In AFL news, the Crows have apparently picked up Ben Hart as an assistant coach. He was at the Crows around a decade ago, then coached at Collingwood for five years. He obviously didn't impress all that much because after they dropped him he took up a radio gig for a year. Not sure what role he'll play at the Crows yet.

He left at the end of 2011, and a deleted social media post from his wife at the time suggested it was because the club made Bickley the interim coach after Neil Craig resigned, when Hart was the leading candidate, but Bickley was the old boy nod and a handshake choice despite being the lowest and least candidate.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Apparently the dogs were offered pick 11 for Stringer, massive grain of salt with that as it's coming from Dodoro, and what he didn't mention was whether it was unconditional or if there was a pick coming back Essendons way.

It was with the Dog's second round pick coming back. Now they're stuck with accepting either two second round picks or a disgruntled player no one at Whitten Oval actually wants.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Freo are demanding pick 2 from the suns for Lachie Weller.

lol.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

snaeksikn posted:

caster semenya is intersex so yeah, a bit different to a transgender person.

The Olympic body's ruling on testosterone might set a precedent though, given that their reasoning was they weren't convinced testosterone made a difference.

cmndstab posted:

Again, from my limited understanding, height and frame is the one performance-related aspect that isn't reduced to roughly cis woman levels when a trans woman transitions. Of course, if it's a sport where height and frame are massive advantages, there is an argument that it is unfair. But there can be plenty of reasons for a woman to be tall. I'd argue that Netball is probably one of the sports where height provides the most dramatic advantage, and there are women playing netball who are well over 2m tall.

Anecdotally, it's been my observation that at the extreme end of height, women tend to drop off in terms of athletic ability. Would be interested to know if Hannah's height and frame coupled with a reduced testosterone level leads to her size becoming in some ways a hindrance.

Just quickly looked at the Suncorp Super Netball site and apparently the tallest player in the competition (Jane Cook) is 201 cm. Which, don't get me wrong, that's huge, but you don't often see that kind of height coupled with size.

Just looked up Liz Cambage because I think she's the most colossal women's basketball player I've ever seen; she's 2.4 m and 98 kg, and when I watched her play at the Olympics, there was not one single woman on any of the other teams who could stop her getting into the paint and putting the ball in the ring, she was just too big to handle. And Hannah is 100kg, so imo she'd be something of a handful in the AFLW.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Cambage is 2.04, not 2.4. I did a little bit of work with her recently and can confirm her enormity. Tallest woman I’ve met by far and with the broadest shoulders I’ve seen.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yeah my bad, must've misread.

Also she's the first woman to ever dunk at the Olympics. :australia:

Watched it live and it ruled.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
A 2.4m tall women's basketballer would be a force if they had any coordination at all

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
A 2.4m woman of any kind would be the tallest woman alive

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Shmoses posted:

A 2.4m woman of any kind would be the tallest woman alive

I'd take some convincing that the tallest woman alive isn't Liz Cambage. She's freaking massive.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Schlesische posted:

I'd take some convincing that the tallest woman alive isn't Liz Cambage. She's freaking massive.

The US centre at the Olympics was the same height as Cambage, no other woman in any team or sport really got close

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

NTRabbit posted:

The US centre at the Olympics was the same height as Cambage, no other woman in any team or sport really got close

Britney Griner I think? Cambage was bigger and stronger though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

Britney Griner I think? Cambage was bigger and stronger though.

Cambage is bigger, but Griner is the better ball player imo

Also my team is killing at lawn bowls right now, just grabbed a 4 to go 15-6 with 4 ends to play

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I was at a kanye west concert a few years back and there was a really tall woman in the mosh before the show started. Anyway some drunk dudes turned up and saw her and started going “ohhh look at that tall slut over there!” And “man that’s a huuuuge bitch” from that movie and just laughing at her. The girl was ignoring them until they threw something at her and then she turns around it’s Liz cambage and she just goes off on them. They looked like they were going to poo poo themselves. Security ended up ejecting them. What a champ.

I think the next week she got booted off the team for missing training but whatever

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I'm wrapped we got Smith and Saad. Still not fussed with Stringer. If we can't find something suitable for the Dogs with whatever is left over then that's their mess to sort out. What I am worried about, which we haven't addressed at all, is where the hell do our inside mids come from next year? Bird? Parish? Parish could be good, but he needs more bulk and not sure just the next preseason will be enough. Even then, I couldn't see him as the key inside mid, more a helper. So unless we have our eye on some mature age then I think next year will be another year of being smashed inside. On top of that, I don't have faith in Bellchamber's and L'Berger's bodies holding up. They're also both pretty on dimensional ruckmen. So even if we got all 3 of Stringer, Saad and Smith, I think anyone talking up top 4 is still living in fantasy land.

hiddenmovement posted:

Edit: also I'm starting preseason and might I just say gently caress squats

I actually weirdly like squats. But gently caress lunges and wall sits. gently caress wall sits to death.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

squats are the king of exercises

all hail the squats

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

cmndstab posted:

In AFL news, the Crows have apparently picked up Ben Hart as an assistant coach. He was at the Crows around a decade ago, then coached at Collingwood for five years. He obviously didn't impress all that much because after they dropped him he took up a radio gig for a year. Not sure what role he'll play at the Crows yet.

I remember hearing him on SEN this year being interviewed about Buckley, basically saying that Buckley wouldn't deviate from Plan A and was too rigid in his thinking on how the team should play regardless of who is on the park. So if we're to believe him, I wouldn't be too harsh on him leaving Collingwood, he sounded quite frustrated about the place.

drunkill posted:

Freo are demanding pick 2 from the suns for Lachie Weller.

lol.

Gotta start the negotiations somewhere :smugdon:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Andrew McLeod and Peter "headbutt" Caven have joined the Adelaide AFLW side as assistant coaches

thepokey posted:

I actually weirdly like squats.

NPR Journalizard posted:

squats are the king of exercises

all hail the squats

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
The best exercise is doing something over doing nothing imo

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Glad to see McLeod join up with our AFLW side, good to keep him in the fold :)

Speaking of tall women, this article talks about a 2.08m netball player, that's loving huge (same height as Max Gawn, for comparison). She's from Sri Lanka but is playing in Australia.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...5aba44244943f96

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 16, 2017

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The best exercise is the kind that you enjoy enough to keep doing

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Glad to see McLeod join up with our AFLW side, good to keep him in the fold :)

Speaking of tall women, this article talks about a 2.08m netball player, that's loving huge (same height as Max Gawn, for comparison). She's from Sri Lanka but is playing in Australia.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...5aba44244943f96

5cm taller than Lebron, only 4cm shorter than Durant :eyepop:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

The best exercise is the kind that you enjoy enough to keep doing

Im a lazy sort of motivated where I will do something I dislike (sprinting up stairs) because the ratio of time spent for reward gained is just massive.

For normal people, yeah, sure, do what you enjoy.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Speaking of AFLW... don't get to attached to players on your teams:
https://twitter.com/DanielCherny/status/919840609929535489

It was to be expected but still...

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Geelong continuing its long tradition of taking players off the blues i see

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sounds like an opaque system designed to move Tex Perkins back to Victoria

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol Freo

"We'll take the most valuable thing you have in the draft for this sack of mouldy potatoes. Sign here."

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thepokey posted:

I'm wrapped we got Smith and Saad. Still not fussed with Stringer. If we can't find something suitable for the Dogs with whatever is left over then that's their mess to sort out. What I am worried about, which we haven't addressed at all, is where the hell do our inside mids come from next year? Bird? Parish? Parish could be good, but he needs more bulk and not sure just the next preseason will be enough. Even then, I couldn't see him as the key inside mid, more a helper. So unless we have our eye on some mature age then I think next year will be another year of being smashed inside. On top of that, I don't have faith in Bellchamber's and L'Berger's bodies holding up. They're also both pretty on dimensional ruckmen. So even if we got all 3 of Stringer, Saad and Smith, I think anyone talking up top 4 is still living in fantasy land.

Yes, I don't know if they can find enough players like that internally to make much of a difference. Maybe there's some guy in the VFL they've got their eye on or something. At least on the rare occasion we do get the ball it'll be loving fun to watch with Saad, McKenna, McGrath, Fantasia, Colyer, McDonald-Tipungwuti and Smith not exactly lacking in leg speed.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Well SEN were not terrible when talking about the AFLW/Hannah story this morning. Gary Lyon called some of their listeners hillbillies and vile for some of the texts they were sending through, that's a positive I guess.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Are freo hoping that people don't realise Weller and Neale are different people and agree to give up pick 2 for him?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Sounds like an opaque system designed to move Tex Perkins back to Victoria

Fortunately, other than Tex, the Crows should be relatively unscathed by that ruling since we'll still be the only team in either SA or NT.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
The best exercise is having no marketable skills so you have to lift poo poo for a living

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

Fortunately, other than Tex, the Crows should be relatively unscathed by that ruling since we'll still be the only team in either SA or NT.

Yes but diluting the rest of the comp while leaving the first premiers almost untouched doesn't play nearly as well into conspiracy victim bullshit.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

Yes but diluting the rest of the comp while leaving the first premiers almost untouched doesn't play nearly as well into conspiracy victim bullshit.

Pretty sure it's not a conspiracy theory if the illuminati are releasing press releases saying "Victorian teams will be pinching players from the rest of the comp, kthxbye"

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

You realise that other than NTRabbit nobody actually talks about Vic bias and AFL conspiracy theories on here, right?

Edit: Hm.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

cmndstab posted:

You realise that other than NTRabbit nobody actually talks about Vic bias and AFL conspiracy theories on here, right?

Edit: Hm.

Yeah, and you were replying to him

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
im annoyed we're probably going to lose lily mithen to geelong

hope we still hold onto paxman and o'dea

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
So wait, have the AFL given any details about how the "you must give players to other AFLW clubs" thing will work other than saying it will be based on a rating system? Like, do the players need to agree to move? Do the recipient clubs need to accept what is offered or can they negotiate? Is there a quota which must be met in terms of giving away players (don't see how the non-Vic clubs are going to manage that)? Is there a trade period following it?

Some details would be nice.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

cmndstab posted:

So wait, have the AFL given any details about how the "you must give players to other AFLW clubs" thing will work other than saying it will be based on a rating system? Like, do the players need to agree to move? Do the recipient clubs need to accept what is offered or can they negotiate? Is there a quote which must be met in terms of giving away players (don't see how the non-Vic clubs are going to manage that)? Is there a trade period following it?

Some details would be nice.

The details are that they will make it up as they go in order to confect the result they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Are freo hoping that people don't realise Weller and Neale are different people and agree to give up pick 2 for him?

I'm willing to keep up the charade.

The Freo argument is that he's a first round pick that has played every game since he was fist picked late in 2015. It's the same story Adelaide have complained about with Lever, high draft pick that has a good amount of development put in him, now up and leaving, and the club wanting their pound of flesh.

Is he worth pick 2? In a word, no.

• Locked thread