Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

PT6A posted:

We are in the age of disruption, friend! There is no longer a need to ask whether we should do something, all that matters is that we can do it!

And who even cares if you can or not, as long as you can get some fool to fund it long enough to buy a yacht!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nebakenezzer posted:

I never put two and two together before, but Jurassic Park is peak disruption, isn't it?

azflyboy posted:

Especially if the disruptive thing has an app!
I think these posts need to go together. Dinosaurs controlled by apps. Nothing could possibly go wrong...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

wolrah posted:

I think these posts need to go together. Dinosaurs controlled by apps. Nothing could possibly go wrong...

Hashtag e-Rex

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
To be fair, while these things are far from the kind of reliability ratings of proper helicopters, you're talking about a single-person vehicle that travels only 15-20 feet off the ground (the article says 16 feet, but the video shows a bit higher unless that guy is a jockey), doesn't have hundreds of gallons of fuel on board, and has an operating time of minutes. It's apples and oranges to compare this to a helicopter. It'd be like comparing an ATV to a commercial transport truck or bus or comparing a light watercraft to a proper boat/ship.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I mean, no poo poo this is not a helicopter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfsVjc7Dbo0

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mlmp08 posted:

To be fair, while these things are far from the kind of reliability ratings of proper helicopters, you're talking about a single-person vehicle that travels only 15-20 feet off the ground (the article says 16 feet, but the video shows a bit higher unless that guy is a jockey), doesn't have hundreds of gallons of fuel on board, and has an operating time of minutes. It's apples and oranges to compare this to a helicopter. It'd be like comparing an ATV to a commercial transport truck or bus or comparing a light watercraft to a proper boat/ship.

I agree in general when talking about these "quadcoptercycles" as a whole, they look like they'd be a hilarious amount of fun recreationally if you were willing to accept the risk of getting cut in half if you gently caress up.

What concerns me is any thought of commercial or law enforcement use, because the main situations I can see where that makes any sense over a traditional helicopter are at low altitudes in tight spaces. Where people tend to be. Basically the appeal seems to be having motorcycle cops who can't get held up by traffic.

If someone riding one of these things recreationally out in the middle of nowhere fucks up it's between them, their insurance, and their next of kin. If a cop loses control of one of these near a crowd it's not going to be pretty.

Also those exposed blades would be a major liability in a riot situation. A lucky bottle throw, a net, a rope, and that thing's coming down.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

The concern of course is Helicopters are flying well above obstacles, whereas that thing is going to be flying with exposed rotors at just 15' through a city packed with accidents wating to happen. Many of them also moving.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I would agree that police shouldn't ride such a vehicle through crowds or to fight a riot. And the UAE/Dubai in particular has an... interesting... track record.

On the other hand, some areas where I can see this being useful and not overly risky, except maybe to the operator in case of mechanical failure:

Surveying
Plenty of crummy terrain utilities work
Rescue work
work in swampy areas or with lots of water crossings and soft soil
hosed up roads
etc

I tend to presume they won't just be going hog-wild screaming around streets and slamming into signs. Or rather, I presume that if they start by doing that, I'll get some hilarious videos before they write new regs about when to get the hoverbike out.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I would agree that police shouldn't ride such a vehicle through crowds or to fight a riot. And the UAE/Dubai in particular has an... interesting... track record.

On the other hand, some areas where I can see this being useful and not overly risky, except maybe to the operator in case of mechanical failure:

Surveying
Plenty of crummy terrain utilities work
Rescue work
work in swampy areas or with lots of water crossings and soft soil
hosed up roads
etc

I tend to presume they won't just be going hog-wild screaming around streets and slamming into signs. Or rather, I presume that if they start by doing that, I'll get some hilarious videos before they write new regs about when to get the hoverbike out.

Couldn’t they put a cushion around the blades and instantly get a significantly safer hovercraft that’d be better for these use cases?

Edit: I mean that wouldn’t provide any propulsion so there’s more engineering involved but the point remains.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 16, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

When you get to know Dubai, you'll come to appreciate that neither health nor safety are among their primary concerns.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Couldn’t they put a cushion around the blades and instantly get a significantly safer hovercraft that’d be better for these use cases?

Edit: I mean that wouldn’t provide any propulsion so there’s more engineering involved but the point remains.

The demos don't have it, but the sales-model diagrams show a wire cage around the propellers on their website.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PittTheElder posted:

When you get to know Dubai, you'll come to appreciate that neither health nor safety are among their primary concerns.

Bingo. We're talking about the capital of a country that banned kidnapped/trafficked child jockeys for camel racing in 2002.

Edit: And they're incredibly proud of that.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Well bombardier sold 50.01% of the c series partnership to airbus

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/bombardier-sells-majority-stake-in-c-series-to-airbus/article36610340/

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Huh. These NAFTA negotiations are getting interesting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

Wake me up when Delta somehow ends up with more DC-9s out of all this.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

um excuse me posted:

People who think these things are cool don't understand how helicopters are at least somewhat safe with autorotation built into the design. Piloted multi rotors will take a long time before they can be proven to be reliable enough to forgo safety systems like that

"Per Autoblog, the Scorpion hoverbike is capable of flying approximately 16 feet (five meters) in the air, moving at a speed of 43 miles per hour (70 kilometers per hour) and carrying 660 pounds (300 kilograms) of gear."

That's not a particularly safe portion of the envelope for helicopters either.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Nebakenezzer posted:

That's good, because the private contractors were just dumping it in the ocean, so the beaches there were getting covered in human turds.

The beaches will still be covered with human turds as long as it's a centre of finance.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Finger Prince posted:

Out of loving nowhere. To make it more interesting airbus wants a second production line for them in Alabama.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

"Per Autoblog, the Scorpion hoverbike is capable of flying approximately 16 feet (five meters) in the air, moving at a speed of 43 miles per hour (70 kilometers per hour) and carrying 660 pounds (300 kilograms) of gear."

That portion of the flight envelope is known as “taxiing”

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

slidebite posted:

Out of loving nowhere. To make it more interesting airbus wants a second production line for them in Alabama.

I assume this is the obvious way round the 300+% import tariff - if the ones for the USA market are assembled in the USA, no import tariffs.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

So...what the hell does Airbus gain from all this?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nebakenezzer posted:

The hope of selling Eurofighters to Canada?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

50.01% of the proceeds with however much of the production costs being payed for by the government of Québec, which would have been politically untenable if the tariff wasn't on the table. And of course that tariff only exists as a negotiation tool to allow US dairy into Canada and the usual softwood lumber exemptions. It's the Canadian government securing an massive backer with the ability to create many high skill jobs in depressed areas of the US - basically telling the US government to loving drop it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

The hope of selling Eurofighters to Canada?

That too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Canada should buy Rafales. They are the prettiest of the new-gen European fighters

Then Gripens

The Eurofighter is...not the best looking plane

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

So then its ground effects or?

I'd call bullshit on anyone who says that's where piloted multirotor craft technology ends.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If it's only capable of reaching 15 feet, then yeah, it's gotta be ground effect-only. Otherwise I don't see what's stopping it from climbing to at least a few thousand feet -- or as high as it can go before the batteries run out, I guess.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
These man-sized quad-copters are literally death traps. Since there's no way it would survive the failure of a single motor, having four on board just quadruples your risk of failure. I wonder how the impact velocity of a 25 ft free fall (likely landing upside down on your face) compares to a bad (but survivable) auto-rotation?

Is anyone working on an inexpensive single-seat helicopter with electronic stability augmentation and auto-hover capable autopilot?

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 17, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

I tend to presume they won't just be going hog-wild screaming around streets and slamming into signs.

lol

You saw where this is talking about.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

INTJ Mastermind posted:

These man-sized quad-copters are literally death traps. Since there's no way it would survive the failure of a single motor, having four on board just quadruples your risk of failure. I wonder how the impact velocity of a 25 ft free fall (likely landing upside down on your face) compares to a bad (but survivable) auto-rotation?

Clearly we need to add zero-zero ejection seats to the hoverbikes.

edit: That, upon ejection, the force of the rockets on the seat propel the remains of the hoverbike at the ground at an alarming velocity

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 17, 2017

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Is anyone working on an inexpensive single-seat helicopter with electronic stability augmentation and auto-hover capable autopilot?

I don't think these are compatible ideas when it comes to aircraft.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER
Stopped by the Boeing company store after my job interview last week. I picked up what I thought was the cleverest thing they had.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

INTJ Mastermind posted:

It's been done as far back as the 50's, you don't need electronics for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_VZ-1_Pawnee

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Nebakenezzer posted:

A foothold in the market the A319neo was supposed to do gangbusters in but has sold like a wet fart

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Kebbins posted:

Stopped by the Boeing company store after my job interview last week. I picked up what I thought was the cleverest thing they had.

That is really drat cool.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I wish it was a two-part thing so you could make the thrust reverser noises while you drink your coffee.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kebbins posted:

:krad:

They sell 787, 747, 737, and 777 models. The last one is notably less cool because it lacks scalloping.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Pima Air and Space museum about completed with their EC-121 restoration.

:swoon:

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

Lake of Methane posted:

I'm more interested in their custom inside-out hangar.

Desert civilization is weird, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lake of Methane posted:

Wow.

My uncle flew in the Navy version of those, so I guess that's one more reason why I need to make a pilgrimage to Pima at some point. If only it wasn't so loving far away from anything else. Maybe I can finagle my way onto a boneyard delivery to Davis Monthan...