Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sillybones posted:

Does this not make you sick as a dog almost immediately?

I put it up on recommendation, but should mention it might not be comfortable for some due to free roaming locomotion, which I'm fine with now that I have my 'VR legs' but many are not.

https://i.imgur.com/VIC6jYT.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Warhawk109 posted:

So I got a response from BFI regarding my FOI request on CIGs submitted documents required for British Video Game certification:

“Apologies for the delayed response. We are just waiting for feedback from relevant departments.

The delay has been caused by staff absence and sickness.

We will aim to provide a response before the 27th of October.

Once again

Best regards,

BFI”

I am hopeful.

Oddly enough, everyone in the relevant departments broke their wrists.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

AlbieQuirky posted:

Friday, October 27, begins at noon UTC (in Offenbach, Germany). Or maybe not, because as usual the RSI site is poo poo and has outdated information compared to this press release. So it may actually begin at 2 or 2:30 UTC.

Don't forget to add on a inevitable hour long delay or two.

Edit: also the stray catte that adopted my family just showed up with a broken leg. So there goes $180 that would have been useful elsewhere.

Just wanted to vent.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 17, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/76ti3f/wtf_where_do_i_need_to_go_from_here_any_help_is/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

RE: Last sentence. Does their customer service department put in dev work part-time or something? Why would their ability to get account information in a timely manner be affected because a new version of a software is in closed alpha testing?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol if this is real

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

That line has been getting tossed out for a while now, yeah. A friend of mine managed to grab a refund just before 3.0 "rolled out" and, apparently, satisfied whatever issue it was that was making CIG uncomfortable or unable to reject refunds just a few days prior.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lol they broke nigga. They broke!

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
Is it just me or is there a disturbing lack of information and hype on Love Pledge?
I, for one, am pumped about this game (or do some pumping into this game) and I see no sign of anything.

Will there be a LoveCon?

e: taxxe

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 17, 2017

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

MVP. MVP. MVP!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

im afraid of the citizens
im afraid of the moons
im afraid i cant help it
im afraid i cant

god is a fidelity
god is a fidelity
god is a fidelity
god is a fidelity

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is it really fair to call it crowdfunding when that campaign ended with kickstarter?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

3.0 is at least a month and a half away from release and that's good enough of an excuse to block refunds.

Can't wait till a no bullshit AG rips them apart

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Blue On Blue posted:

Is it really fair to call it crowdfunding when that campaign ended with kickstarter?

has anyone said crowdfucking yet?

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Thing is elite has a decently solid core that needs gameplay added. Star citizen doesn’t even have a solid core

Oh goddess above yes! I still throw the HMD on and putter around in my Fed 'vette looking for fun things to shoot, but like a few others have said, it's a 'sometimes' game, with a definite niche. I may rib Elite occasionally, but at least it's a game.

Unlike Star Citizen, which is a poorly written pitch for a Crysis 1 mod that was never more than the fever dream of a simpleton with delusions of adequacy.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
The Genius of the Crowd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbn1_2nHQVA

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

thatguy posted:

Chris needs to be Necromancy/Summoning.

I can only agree with this theory if there is also a Summon Hobo ability.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Scruffpuff posted:

I have an anecdote that reminds me somewhat of Star Citizen.

Several years ago my wife and I were playing World of Warcraft. We had just killed a crocolisk and after it died, my wife commented that she liked when they flipped over when they died and had their feet up in the air. I looked at the recently killed creature on my monitor - clearly right-side-up with feet tucked underneath. I asked what she was smoking, she asked if I was blind, and this escalated rapidly into a series of increasingly heated insults into the other person's mental faculties until finally one of us thought to look at the other person's monitor.

Lo and behold, on one of our monitors the creature was dead right-side-up, on the other, he was upside-down. A light bulb went off in my head - of course it would work this way! What better way to create some simple variation in the gameplay while limiting network overhead then having important states, such as the location of an enemy and its status as alive or dead, transmitted by the server, and unimportant gameplay states, like the noises its making, its attack animation choice, and which model is used for after it's killed, handled by the client?

After all, what kind of lunatic would care that everyone saw the exact same thing even if it has absolutely no impact on gameplay?

That question was answered by the frantic handwavings of an aging, overweight, autistic man in November of 2012.
World of Warcraft got into the gaslighting game before it was cool.:cool:

That is legit interesting that you could do however many variations you want to with stuff like that and the only consequence would be a funny mixup situation like this.

E: I suppose this might make debugging a little harder if there's something wrong with one of the animations; you'd get complaints from some players, while other players would think everything is fine, and technically both groups are correct.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 17, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

wheeeeeeeffffff chchchchchchch

This post is really good

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Solarin posted:

This post is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP3GHnnmHj4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKusSKUGfAM

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 17, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cao Ni Ma posted:

3.0 is at least a month and a half away from release and that's good enough of an excuse to block refunds.

Can't wait till a no bullshit AG rips them apart

I love that they will still be calling it an "alpha" even when they declare 'minimum value product". Not like that will get you laughed out of court by a well-versed judge or tech lawyer.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
So a theater near me is playing American Satan but I don't know if there is enough comedy value to justify the ticket...

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Lt_Tofu posted:

So a theater near me is playing American Satan but I don't know if there is enough comedy value to justify the ticket...

I think the burning question is whether ANY scenes with Mae Demming made it in. It would be hilarious if she got completely cut since she's not mentioned on any marketing materials at all. Go for science!

The fact that she dragged Croberts to the premier and walked out of there with a death face would make it even funnier that way. Obviously buy a ticket to an actual good movie like Blade Runner and then sneak into American Satan. Don't give them any money.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 17, 2017

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Majestic...Close the thread, we're done here.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rad Russian posted:

I think the burning question is whether ANY scenes with Mae Demming made it in. It would be hilarious if she got completely cut since she's not mentioned on any marketing materials at all. Go for science!

The fact that she dragged Croberts to the premier and walked out of there with a death face would make it even funnier that way. Obviously buy a ticket to an actual good movie like Blade Runner and then sneak into American Satan. Don't give them any money.

I like your style. Alright going to see it tomorrow because I have nothing better to do with my life.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Toops posted:

loving cat bird drugs is who wrote these patch notes:

Moons is a verb, right?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Toops posted:

idk, I don't think the server needs to run the full physics sim for each ship, nor do the physics ticks need to be synced. Client calculates all the physics, sends position/rotation and velocity to the server, server sends it to the clients who need to know, after doing sanity checks to make sure the parameters aren't haxmode. Other clients handle interpolation, etc.

I'm just spitballing, so let's think of some edge cases.

What happens when two ships are about to collide? Well, the server is sending ship_1's position and velocity to ship_2, and vice-versa, and each client knows what type of ships are around them (from which you can get other ships' mass), so maybe collisions can be handled client-side. Every client can calculate collision force with mass and velocity (p = mv, F = dp/dt).

Let's say in this example, ship_2 is a plucky Aurora trying to ram ship_1, a Connie. If this game is ever released, seems like the prototypic Goonrathi use-case. From ship_1's perspective, you would see ship_2 approach, rotate to optimal ramming trajectory, accelerate to ramming speed. Because the server is sending ship_2's position data at (tick rate), and you're interpolating between ticks, you should have enough info to calculate when the collision will happen, where the impact occurs on your hull, and what the imparted force will be. You apply the collision force to yourself locally, and keep sending position/rotation/velocity data to the server as you rapidly change direction and rotation from the resultant force of impact. ship_2 does the same as it responds to the collision.

The challenge here is network latency and resolving when and where the collision happened between different versions of the simulation (client_1, client_2, and server). Both clients will see something slightly different, and it's easy to envision a scenario where both ships wind up clipping through each other. If ship_2 thinks the collision happened 100ms later than ship_1, then ship_2 is still moving "into" ship_1 after ship_1 handled the collision and is spinning around. In this case, you'd have to do something clever to reconcile the 3 simulations. If the server "takes over" and imparts the collision forces on both clients, that could help. Definitely want to add logic that says "if collision happened < Xmsec ago from object Y, don't allow another collision with object Y."

Overall it's a tough problem to solve, but I still don't think you need the server to run a full physics sim for each ship. Just need clever tricks to reconcile the 3 sims in/around a collision.

This very problem has been the bane of racing games. I'll use Project Cars/2 as an example of where they have never been able to get this right in Single player, which then extrapolates into MP. Their collision physics and deformation are probably up there with the worst out there.
When this was raised during the PCars alpha, Ian bellend trotted out the urban myth about manufacturers not allowing it, lol. Yet other racing games have visual deformation/damage of licensed cars.

With that said, are there still bad collision registrations in the hacked SP in Star Citizen, because if so................

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It's funny because the daily box office gross looks just like the CIG funding graph

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Rugganovich posted:

This very problem has been the bane of racing games. I'll use Project Cars/2 as an example of where they have never been able to get this right in Single player, which then extrapolates into MP. Their collision physics and deformation are probably up there with the worst out there.
When this was raised during the PCars alpha, Ian bellend trotted out the urban myth about manufacturers not allowing it, lol. Yet other racing games have visual deformation/damage of licensed cars.

With that said, are there still bad collision registrations in the hacked SP in Star Citizen, because if so................

The collisions in SC appear to be getting either worse, or at least different flavors of equally bad.

I wonder how iRacing does their netcode? For the most part, iRacing collisions are (imo) very impressive, but it feels like collisions are handled client-side and there's very finely tuned server reconciliation to keep all sims close enough in sync to be acceptable.

I'll see if I can dredge anything up on the world wide web.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Lt_Tofu posted:

I think you'd get more entertainment from changing Derek's avatar with it.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

D1E posted:

One of his lackeys is changing the avatars for the people on the block list.

Which is hilariously pathetic.

Nice meltdown.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Blue On Blue posted:

It's funny because the daily box office gross looks just like the CIG funding graph

Except the box office chart will at one point reach zero.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Blue On Blue posted:

-66.6%.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ohhh mooon of mr roberts
it's time to say goodbye
we lost our dear immersion
and must have jpegs or you know why

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bootcha posted:

So today after a few weeks of not doing anything health diet related, I'm getting back on the healthy bus. Good news is I've transitioned to the cute little 8oz soda gulpers instead of big cans or gas-station bottles (I'll cheat everyso often but rarely). Still can't get into sparkling water, tastes like bubbly lies.

For breakfast, I'm making 1-pot freezer breakfast tacos:
Veggies - Onion and Bell Pepper, chop and set aside.
Packet of Bacon - Cook in medium pot. Remove. Leave oil. Crumble later.
Freezer Hashbrowns - 4 cups, cook in bacon oil. Remove and set aside.
Eggs - 12 eggs, 1/4cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 paprika. Mix together, cook on medium low, add 2 tbsp butter. Set aside.
Wrap in burrito-sized tortillas, combining the above, adding cheese and ready-cooked sausage (or cubed ham). Put in freezer safe ziplocs.
Makes 12-14 tacos. Good for 3 months in freezer. To reheat, cook for 1 minute 3 times, flipping taco every reset.

For lunch, simple salad:
Baby spring mix
Carrots
Apples
Blueberries
Caesar Dressing after non-leafs are eaten.

And for dinner these upcoming days, Chicken Ragu Bianco:
Olive Oil
1 Onion
1 Carrot
1 stick of Celery
1 clove of Garlic
1 bunch of Thyme
1 bay leaf
1 Small Chilli (optional)
1 leg and 1 brest of chicken, finely chopped
200g of Tubular pasta (like penne or rigatoni)
Half a glass of white wine
250ml chicken stock
Parsley
Parmesan

Heat the oil in a pen over a medium heat. Meanwhile very finely chop the onion, carrot, and celery. Add these to the pan with the garlic clove peeled but whole. Add the thyme and bay leaf. Finely chop the chilli and add that as well. Sweat everything until soft.
Turn up the gas and seal the chicken in the pan.
Deglaze the pan with the wine and season with salt.
Once reduced, season with pepper. Then add the chicken stock.
Then cover and simer for 30-35 minutes. Don't forget to cook the pasta during this time.
Finally, stir in the cooked pasta, and mix in some grated parmesan and chopped parsley.
About 4 servings. I'll be serving with rice for grains.

Remember to take care of your bodies. You'll need it if you want to play Star Citizen in the year 2020.
Also call your parents and tell them you love them.
SCG writing comes and goes in fits. I hope you understand Bootcha development.

Namaste/Tane

You Look Like poo poo (is that still what the subforum is called?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

SomethingJones posted:

Ming bored of new gimmick

It had legs though, it had legs

it burned bright in its short time. Rest in piece all caps reddit micro transcripts