Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cyks posted:

Detachment at first yellow ribbon ceremony, we got pulled aside to be told our unit is deploying again.
Get rekt.

Holy loving LMBO hope you like Iraq!

Also Djibouti was more of a TDY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

my old unit deployed to Djibouti after I ETS'd and they hated their life, just saying.

god bless

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
While everyone else deploys Ill just continue to train up for NTC, go to NTC, train for NTC, go to NTC.....

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Mustang posted:

While everyone else deploys Ill just continue to train up for NTC, go to NTC, train for NTC, go to NTC.....

Mustang posted:

Im leaving for NTC the first time in less than 24 hours, and by the sound of it Its gonna be not only retarded, But a huge waste of time as well. Oh well, Its not like I wanted to spend time with my 6-months-old to be firstborn anyway...

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Valtonen posted:

Im leaving for NTC the first time in less than 24 hours, and by the sound of it Its gonna be not only retarded, But a huge waste of time as well. Oh well, Its not like I wanted to spend time with my 6-months-old to be firstborn anyway...

Yeah, this was a big reason I started to look at the medboard chapter paperwork seriously. I did something like 1 week in Utah, 1 home, 4 at NTC, 2 home, 3 Japan. When I came home from Japan my son (7-8 months) cried because he missed me. It made me realize I needed to spend my time better. I spent a lot of time away from home on TDY and it wasn't fair to my family.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The time I spent in the box during force on force was actually great training and I learned a lot. It was also pretty fun.

The week and a half before and after the box were loving terrible though.

If I could just show up for force on force and leave I would be more than willing to go to NTC whenever they want me to.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

The time I spent in the box during force on force was actually great training and I learned a lot. It was also pretty fun.

The week and a half before and after the box were loving terrible though.

If I could just show up for force on force and leave I would be more than willing to go to NTC whenever they want me to.

All of the in between stuff is so god drat terrible. When you're actually doing missions, it's pretty fun.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Isn't that any part of the military though? I love doing my actual job, it's just the other stuff that makes it miserable. (I hope Mustang winds up at Camp Buehring :getin:)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

wait that place is still open

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i was there in 2004

place looked like tattooine

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Too busy keeping the Donovians out of Atropia

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
As a measure of reference, one of the guys in my unit got an AAM for cleaning the bathrooms at NTC on this last rotation.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Holy loving LMBO hope you like Iraq!

Also Djibouti was more of a TDY

Is there any real deployment stuff in Dijbouti, or do the Legionaires do all the actual fighting stuff?

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

bulletsponge13 posted:

I was medically retired. I remember two years ago when it finally became final, I was posting in the G Hangouts thread, and literally crying my eyes out.
Since then, I got into a competitive "academic" program at the highest ranked school in it's field. I've gotten married to a woman who I don't deserve, who is loving and supportive to a fault.
I still get that feeling of 'RPM/Neutral',even though I've been out officially for two years, realistically much longer.
I have a myriad of health problems that limit me in my day to day life, and one day I decided to say gently caress it. I'm going to hurt anyway, let's know why. I started going to the gym with some classmates. I don't do much, but the mutual support has been amazing.

Start a new hobby. Model making helped me a lot for awhile. The attention to detail, and just focus helped a lot. I also did some competitive shooting for awhile. I sucked at it, but it helped me feel linked to my Army roots and let me turn money into noise for fun. Turns out, shooting is amazing when the Army doesn't fist gently caress it. Same with hiking, and jogging.

I hid in the closet and cried for an hour when I got home after processing out. The brain is a crazy thing. Been about 2 for me now. Doesn't feel like that at all man. I stay active, stay doing the right things and just will keep doing so until things pan out and its time for other things to happen. Its just weird being about 30, going from being in a family to being single, not a big drinker or party guy anymore and aged well drat 10 more than I really am. The 20's were not fun for me, it was the Army. THe docs say I should act as if I were 18, and play video games and see my parents and act like a college kid. But I cant unturn that key, as much as I work at it. Some days I unlock it more than others.

I never thought id be speaking about how people are telling me I need to START NOT giving a gently caress more.

Part of its really funny if you look at it that way and I try to as I know ill be fine. I am medically out too but I dont think the pain is playing in this that much. I just dont feel like a piece of the puzzle out here. Maybe its the beach area or the people, but I think its just missing being in a tribalism environment of like minded people who are miserable like you. I mean many people think thats a perfectly healthy and natural thing to want to be apart of. Like I said I cried in a closet when I got my boxed flag and my ratings and all that, even though they were good for me, I DESERVED them. Doesnt mean poo poo out here, and like you said I guess it hasnt been that long.

Thanks for your insight and I think it will be alright. Im supposed to excel in this mundane rat race and I guess I need to figure out how to not be a lil bitch about it.

As for Djibouti,

When I was in Honduras all I heard was Airmen bitching about Djibouti, or finding ways to avoid going, so idk.
Bitching to them may mean its not that bad. Can never tell.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 15, 2017

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

You know, you make me want to do this art project even more. I meant it as a way for people to get an experience basing judgment on appearances and stuff with the underlying issue of me trying to find my identity, and you kind of solidify that.

It sounds stupid but try some things that are repetitive and meditative. I gold pan. It sounds loving retarded but I do it because it is a 20-30 minute meditative process where I am removing dirt and rock slowly and gently to reveal gold. It's not a lot but soon I will have enough to make my wife a ring, she's been there for me when no one else was.

As for not giving a gently caress, it takes time. You need to get into a mentality of "can I control this?" That's ultimately what the issue is, giving up control. Getting involved means you are trying to control the outcome. That's why I don't react to some things and it pisses my wife off because I can give up control for something like our renters needing to replace everything (our air filter was the buildings original. It was built in the 70's). We try to repair it, they can hold us liable for damages. We go through the property management company, we get he issue solved later, but we are safe legally because this poo poo was so goddamn bad.

I could worry about every detail that is broken in my condo. I could hire people myself and do it possibly, but why? It will get done eventually. Can I have an immediate impact? If no, I do nothing. Long term actions sure, I do whatever preparing needs to be done for whatever situation but not giving a gently caress is literally not caring.

It isn't an attitude, it isn't badassery, it's refusing to let anyone control you by controlling what you get involved in. It's being in control of yourself.

This doesn't mean don't care about the things you like or love. Fight for those things. Make clear your stance so doubt can't be cast. Remove toxicity from your life. Like that one mooch always bumming rides or talking to that one person you don't even really get along with. I removed a poo poo load of my friends thanks to this last election. I have no problem not talking to any of them again. Even if they went back to childhood.

Surround yourself with people you aspire to be. Remember that your environment dictates the type of people that will be with constantly.

I lose control sometimes, and I hate it. I value what control I have over the items I have so I am very selective on what I will invest in.

I hope this helps? I always feel weird giving these things because I'm broken, people typically don't like me, and I'm still figuring this out myself.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

Isn't that any part of the military though? I love doing my actual job, it's just the other stuff that makes it miserable. (I hope Mustang winds up at Camp Buehring :getin:)

I'm going there next year. Well, either there or Camp Patriot.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

gently caress. Might be going back to staff when my year is up since there's a million LTs running around here

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's good news

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don't see how. I'd much rather be a PL

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Being a PL is the only good officer job until you reach senior Captain or Major and can get a functional area or a weird assignment at an embassy or doing R&D or some poo poo. And don't try to say "What about SF?" because an ODA is basically just a platoon so my first point still stands.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Being a PL is the only good officer job until you reach senior Captain or Major and can get a functional area or a weird assignment at an embassy or doing R&D or some poo poo. And don't try to say "What about SF?" because an ODA is basically just a platoon so my first point still stands.

Command can be good but it’s highly situational.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

At least on the lovely days you're still with your soldiers and NCOs

On staff you're just stuck with other officers, which sucks

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How about those suitability boards for promotion now, my fellow officers?

:lol:

And you're OERs from your lieutenant years are no longer masked.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

How about those suitability boards for promotion now, my fellow officers?

:lol:

And you're OERs from your lieutenant years are no longer masked.

Think this has been the case since at least 2014.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

Think this has been the case since at least 2014.

Uhhh, try 2 months ago.

http://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/Army%20Directive%202016-26%20(Final).pdf

The practical for this change is YUUUUGE. Holy Moley.

If you've ever even been accused of something (even if you were found completely innocent) you can expect to get promoted a full 12 months (min) behind everyone else due to the separate board procedures.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 17, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Because making officers even more risk averse and determined to have a zero failure culture is exactly what the Army needs.

Haha gently caress you if you're still in.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Uhhh, try 2 months ago.

http://www.apd.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/Army%20Directive%202016-26%20(Final).pdf

The practical for this change is YUUUUGE. Holy Moley.

If you've ever even been accused of something (even if you were found completely innocent) you can expect to get promoted a full 12 months (min) behind everyone else due to the separate board procedures.

Maybe it was for promotion to O4? I remember getting emails about it as far back as 2013.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Maybe it was for promotion to O4? I remember getting emails about it as far back as 2013.

It was both for OSBs and promotion to O-4. It's very old news.

bird food bathtub posted:

Because making officers even more risk averse and determined to have a zero failure culture is exactly what the Army needs.

Haha gently caress you if you're still in.

What I think is kind of bullshit about this is very similar to what happened to a bunch of NCOs: Superiors were told they could give warning shot evals and punishments to LTs and NCOs, and as long as they didn't file something in a permanent record, it wouldn't crush them.

Then they unmasked OERs and "locally" filed Article 15s, and that lets officers and NCOs get cut or denied promotion. On the officer side, I frankly never knew anyone for which this made me upset. But I've known many NCOs who had some poo poo in their past record as a wakeup call or one-off screwup who then went on to do good poo poo and shape up. It makes you wonder how the superiors would've handled it if they knew their actions would be unmasked without their consent a few years later.

edit: I guess that memo does add some super vague language that adds an "other poo poo we don't like, who knows?" clause

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 17, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

psydude posted:

IDK. But now it's for CPT too.

I mean, let's say you got investigated because 100 dollars of unit funds (or whatever) was misplaced and the resulting investigation found it (and it wasn't your fault). You're now hosed forever. Same for anything else.

I spoke with a friend at HRC and he said they're doing it to try and stop "problems" from becoming COL/GEN and ending up on the news for loving privates/stealing poo poo.

I just have to wonder how the heck this is going to work, practically speaking.

Also, lol if you don't think we're going to be promoting/retaining everyone once we go to war in Korea/China.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I haven't perused this memo with legalese in mind over the last 10 minutes, but it so far reads very much the way that they revised NCOERs and NCO boards to let you reach out and yank someone back by the collar and turbofuck their career if they get caught doing dumb poo poo during or immediately after a board file opens.

edit: also nothing at all in this memo says you can be rejected for promotion based on unsubstantiated accusations. It does say you can be delayed (old news) and then given a backdated DOR if/when you're cleared, though.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 17, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

I haven't perused this memo with legalese in mind over the last 10 minutes, but it so far reads very much the way that they revised NCOERs and NCO boards to let you reach out and yank someone back by the collar and turbofuck their career if they get caught doing dumb poo poo during or immediately after a board file opens.

I'm just excited to be getting out and am glad I don't have to care too much.

My biggest concern is Supply. I've got enough gear to outfit a squad in my shed.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I still have all of my TA-50 and have been in the IRR for over a year and nobody has sent me a statement of charges. Maybe it'll come when I finally ETS for good? That, or I'm going to have a free cold-weather sleeping bag.

e: Or maybe someone saw that I hadn't signed my clothing record since 2013 and just said gently caress it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vahakyla posted:

Is there any real deployment stuff in Dijbouti, or do the Legionaires do all the actual fighting stuff?

A ton has changed in the last four years there. Now it's like KAF in 2011 without the rockets and with "two" beers a day.

It was retarded because there was fighting happening somewhere in the continent but not enough to justify the inflated egos of the infantry batallions (Marines and Army! Same base!) there who largely did not do said fighting (thanks beardos!)

So they got too drunk and ruined the "two" drink limit by fighting amongst each other.

I'm not going to pretend people didn't sacrifice or face danger, just that in the shadow of my experiences in Afghanistan and the movie Captain Phillips, Africa was a loving breeze that consisted of a stupid command structure designed to prevent any meaningful work being accomplished, and a senior enlisted cadre bent on trying to Army the gently caress out of all work problems, but little else to bitch about in retrospect.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hahahaha the case worker in my senator’s office reports that the Army still isn’t responding to inquiries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

McNally posted:

Hahahaha the case worker in my senator’s office reports that the Army still isn’t responding to inquiries.

I just shared a tiny tiny bit of your story with a friend after she saw the zippo on my screen and her jaw basically dropped.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Water's wet
Sky is blue
McNally still
Getting screwed

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
On the topic of Vietnam Zippo lighters...

My dad got his as a birthday present when he turned 17 from one of his brothers. He joined the AF out of high school, went over there, and during that time had it engraved. He gave it to me last month right before he died. Apparently Zippo will repair their lighters for free, so I'm about to ship it off to have the hinge repaired so I can carry it around.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I contacted my guy at the Pentagon, who apparently has a new job now because his email signature changed, but he asked me when I'm available to take a call and so here I am, waiting for my phone to ring.

I'll say this for him, he tends to make it feel like what I'm going through is, in the eyes of the Army, an aberration worthy of their attention.

But we all know that if that were the case, the Army wouldn't be trying to pass the buck off on the VA and ducking my senator's staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Aranan posted:

Apparently Zippo will repair their lighters for free, so I'm about to ship it off to have the hinge repaired so I can carry it around.

if you go to the zippo museum they do the same thing. i really want to go sometime