Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Whether it was purposeful effort to get him to admit guilt or a lazy decision by the student body to resolve the issue the outcome is no different for the guy, regardless of his guilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ride The Gravitron posted:

The school isn't going to take the letter to court. If that's what they wanted they would have handed the case over to the police station soon as they heard.

Seriously why the gently caress was this not just handed over?

Schools generally do not want the police involved if they can.

I am honestly surprised they didn't just cover it up.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

So, no, you know nothing about law enforcement tactics or legal proceedings, and due to your utter lack of knowledge in this you're screeching that a standard tactic used by police is a crazy conspiracy theory. Okay, moving on since you're never going to be convinced out of what you've confusingly decided to believe.

I [25 F] want to kindly leave my [30 M] fiance/Dom of 5 years.

quote:

First and foremost, I'm committed to the over-ness of the relationship. It's been mulled over for months, and it just isn't working for me.
I'll try to keep this succinct (spoiler: it isn't succinct, sorry), but some background I think is really needed:
We got together when I was really young and naive. I had only been living on my own for under a year, I hadn't really experienced adulthood, and he was a great partner and source of stability and guidance as I grew older. (There's also a BDSM aspect of it, I wont go into the nitty gritty of, but our relationship was founded on the basis of me being the submissive and him the Dominant. )
Over the years, things got more serious. We moved in together, and have been living together for ~3 years now. The BDSM aspect faded - he grew timid of the responsibility, and I went into a really bad depressive episode. Our vanilla relationship was stable, but we both suck(ed) at communication. While there was no hardcore D/s stuff going on, it still maintained the power exchange, so the expectation is that I make zero decisions for myself.
We never fought, just quietly stewed in our emotions until one of us has an emotional breakdown, then the breakdown is bottled up when we see it's negatively affecting the other.
Almost two years ago, he proposed. I said yes, against my better judgement. It felt like my only option. It was a continuation of the extremely stupid habit I/we had formed of doing what would make the other person happy, no matter what. And the overshadowing power exchange had become so deeply entrenched, it seemed natural to do something I didn't want to for his sake.
I was in the dark dark throes of deeply suicidal depression during this time, but due to the aforementioned communication issues, it never really was addressed until it was bad. I expressed interest in getting on antidepressants, and he discouraged them- worried that they might change me, etc etc. I agreed and obliged. Until last November, I 'rebelled' and made an appt to see a doctor and seek help. (While our BDSM-ness had faded, I had no real independence. Again, he made all the decisions in our lives, so this felt almost like a betrayal.)
So fast-forward a bit. The meds work amazing. I'm a completely different person. I have interests, I have energy, I want to do things. I end up going back to school, picking a career path, trying to make friends (which doesn't work due to the lack of independence), while starting to come into my own and figure out myself. Figure out, namely, that I want to be my own person. That I will not be happy in the dynamic our relationship has. That I want to be on my own, and figure out my life for myself.
How do I end this relationship without destroying him? He wants to get married, have kids, settle down, and rekindle our D/s dynamic that I am honestly repulsed at the thought of attempting again. (Another byproduct of not being depressed: Handing over the reigns of my life is way less appealing now)
He's not a bad person, it's just no longer a good fit. And he either hasn't noticed, or he doesn't want to acknowledge that things have changed. While he's the big-bad Bossman in the relationship, he's emotionally fragile. I worry that this might ruin him. To top it off, he started going back to school to finish his degree while working 50+ hours a week. He's been making amazing progress, and I am terrified of him abandoning his academic goals because of this.
It needs to happen, I know that- I just don't know how, or when. Immediately? After finals? Near when the lease is up? To top it off, our schedules are currently SuperFucked. We've got time together for a few hours after work/school on weekdays, and in the mornings on weekends before I go to work. Do I spring this on him when he's exhausted from work during the week, or when he's stressing out over grades on the weekend?
Bonus point of whining: I don't have any IRL/local friends, so I can't couch surf for a few days to give him time alone after. All the "How to break up with a live-in partner" stuff I've read hinges a lot on this magical Friend Couch, it seems.
tl;dr: How do I gracefully end a relationship without emotionally devastating a partner who's already at their wits end, when the relationship is also based on me not ever being independent?
(( PS: I'm in no way suggesting that depression = submissiveness. Healthy submission exists, I am a shining example of not-that. ))

Alternate ending to 50 Shades.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cumshitter posted:

Whether intentional or not they're making him write a confession to get back into school. If he's guilty then great. He has received some sort of punishment for his behavior. If not, then it's a pretty hosed up situation for the guy.

I in no way believe most rape charges are false. But this is a student council decision, and they have much lower standards than a proper court. If he did rape her 3 years ago the student council doesn't have much evidence to go on and they have way more relaxed standards for proving guilt.

Like, I'm just not cool with with a bunch of students who have too much free time making this decision. Why am I supposed to trust their judgment on the issue in a literal kangaroo court?

Ironically men have been winning title ix lawsuits after being expelled with little due process in courts set up because of... title ix

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.2bbc015acedc

Personally I think schools need to do a better job handing these cases to actual police (including bringing their considerable influence to bear to incentivize said police to treat the matter seriously)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In the last two pages we've learned that if your advisor won't stop hitting on you, actually you're lucky and soon to be rich, and if a guy rapes you at college, the university will definitely care so much they'll entrap the guy to help you legally prosecute

You guys need to read the news way more, especially the ones falling over yourselves to claim you're the feminististest

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blade Runner posted:

So, no, you know nothing about law enforcement tactics or legal proceedings, and due to your utter lack of knowledge in this you're screeching that a standard tactic used by police is a crazy conspiracy theory. Okay, moving on since you're never going to be convinced out of what you've confusingly decided to believe.

I [25 F] want to kindly leave my [30 M] fiance/Dom of 5 years.

Alternate ending to 50 Shades.

You do know the police aren't involved right.

Like you are being awfully smug for not even reading the story to peddle your insane conspiracy theory.

A school is not going to involve the police in their poo poo unless they have to. The fact you don't understand this is puzzling

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
There is zero reason schools should have their own courts

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I read the whole story. You're being pretty smug for a person who doesn't seem to understand the nature of legal culpability relative to apologies being confessions. If he writes the letter, that is definitely 100% admissible in court as evidence/a confession of his alleged wrongdoing. Does it really seem more likely to you that they just want this guy to say "Yeah sorry for raping you oops" than them trying to get legal documentation of an action for which they do not have other evidence?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Literally yes, because the university definitely does not want it to become a public legal matter. In fact they probably pressured the victim to accept binding mediation instead of pursuing it legally. If the victim keeps trying to pursue it, the university will probably punish or censure her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Blade Runner posted:

I read the whole story. You're being pretty smug for a person who doesn't seem to understand the nature of legal culpability relative to apologies being confessions. If he writes the letter, that is definitely 100% admissible in court as evidence/a confession of his alleged wrongdoing. Does it really seem more likely to you that they just want this guy to say "Yeah sorry for raping you oops" than them trying to get legal documentation of an action for which they do not have other evidence?

Yes? Do you know anything about colleges at all?

They are pretty much little independent fiefdoms and they protect that at all costs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Universities think they are 100% above the law. This is nothing new. See Dr. Rape-o earlier. The graduate student just gets hosed, they're little feudal enclaves.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Them working hard to get a confession out of the dude seems pretty loving stupid on their end to the point that it's the opposite of what they should be doing, then, since it means that if it's exposed at some point in the future there's documentation that it was a reasonable accusation that they failed to act on by delivering it to the police.

Me [21 F] with my friendship [32 M] one year I feel like i'm the only one trying

quote:

I met this guy going on a year ago this November. We first met and i felt the sparks, laughter great conversation and good company. We went on several dates and continued to spend time together. Still no title or anything relationship related.
A little later down the line he told me he had something to tell me and would present it to me when he saw me. it was school paper saying he was accepted into film school in Cali. We were currently in GA. I was happy for him and encouraged him to follow his heart.
We hung out before he left and I kind of had a feeling this is why he didn't want to start a relationship. Now that he is there I'm wanting and missing him more than ever. I express this to him and he tells me to move so we can get a house in cali. He just wants me to finish school and then we can "conquer the world together" as he put it. I will be graduating December 2018 But I want more of his attention and time. Just a phone call during the week or a text. If i do not message him. I will not hear from him. He is also going through family issues and expecting his mother to pass soon. I express to him I'm here for him but he has to let me be. And he says he knows this. I do not know if I'm walking into a dead end or if it's worth trying to be with him. I've asked my friend for advice and she tells me I sound desperate and he only talks to me when he is bored.
I would like to visit him and hang out, have those great memories and finally have intercourse. i would love to support him and love him. i do not know if i should keep trying or let it go
TL;DR; I met this guy I want to be with but I feel I am the only one trying.
"I want to gently caress a person 11 years older than me who doesn't seem interested at all, what do I do?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
knock the wheels off

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Like I seriously doubt the cops waited a year and hoped he would reapply to make their move, that is insane.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like I seriously doubt the cops waited a year and hoped he would reapply to make their move, that is insane.

Re-read it. This happened recently, he needs to write the letter to re-apply after the year is up.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

maskenfreiheit posted:

Ironically men have been winning title ix lawsuits after being expelled with little due process in courts set up because of... title ix

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...m=.2bbc015acedc

Personally I think schools need to do a better job handing these cases to actual police (including bringing their considerable influence to bear to incentivize said police to treat the matter seriously)

As a computer guy I have no respect for you and your profession because you do the background stuff that enables me to talk people into giving us their life savings to invest prudently.

But I agree that schools shouldn't create a parallel legal system and should instead have the support system needed to encourage people to report rape and follow through with it.

I still want to add: fuk u computer bitch. If a corporation were a person I'd be working in the part of the brain that gets you laid while you're doing basic maintenance poo poo like sucking the water and vitamin K out of turds as they pass through the lower intestine, the rental space where I store cum.

*crushes beer can against forehead* MARKETING REPRESENNNN

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Blade Runner posted:

there's documentation that it was a reasonable accusation that they failed to act on by delivering it to the police.
That is also not how it works. If she went to the town cops in the first place, they probably said "oh that's a school matter" and handed it over to the college.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

That is also not how it works. If she went to the town cops in the first place, they probably said "oh that's a school matter" and handed it over to the college.

it's like a little holy roman empire but instead of the 30 years' war it's pledge week. incidence of rape is about the same.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah that is generally how it goes in any major college.

That is part of the reason the Penn State Scandal went where it did.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think we can agree that the university should not have been handling this whether or not the poster is guilty, because they've hosed the situation up beyond hope of justice either way.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

LethalGeek posted:

2 things.

Lawyers are not generally any smarter than the average person so I immediately am with reddit calling lawyer husband an insecure dumbass who is a bad person cause he reeks of it. And is a lawyer so well, is.

maskenfreiheit I get why you need to explain to mirthless he's a broken sadbrians moron, but please stick to just posting stories. It's better this way.

I have been. You’re replying to one of them

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Whatever, I'm moving on from it. Generally speaking, the situation is probably hosed, but if anyone ever tries to convince you to write an 'apology letter' saying that you're sorry for a crime you did, it is to trick you into giving a confession. Why do they want a confession out of him if they're not taking him to court, as you insist? gently caress, I donno. This is a pretty simple warning, ignore it if you want.

In remorse for the lovely derail, have this classic.

Boyfriend (18M) said dress makes me (17F) look fat, should I be upset?

quote:

Me (17F) and my boyfriend (18M) have been together for 3 years.
Okay, so I bought a dress the other night for my 18th birthday party and I absolutely adore it. It's a gorgeous navy blue skater dress that I'm really excited to wear.
However when I showed my boyfriend the dress he said "it'll make you look fat". Now I'm really offended by this and was really taken aback by his comment and he doesn't seem to understand why I'm so upset. Have I got any right to be so hurt by this comment?
TLDR; boyfriend said a dress I bought will make me look fat, am I ok to be mad?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It's just generally good advice not to admit to crimes in writing regardless of whether you are guilty. I imagine this is Lawyer School 101 kinda poo poo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

It's just generally good advice not to admit to crimes in writing regardless of whether you are guilty. I imagine this is Lawyer School 101 kinda poo poo.

My dad once sat me down to make me watch the ACLU videos which are basically "never admit to any wrongdoing". I admired in those videos that the person was always guilty as poo poo too.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why aren't the police involved?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Turtlicious posted:

Why aren't the police involved?

I'm not really joking about universities having their own rule of law.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

My dad once sat me down to make me watch the ACLU videos which are basically "never admit to any wrongdoing". I admired in those videos that the person was always guilty as poo poo too.

i lost a lovely retail job for calling my boss a cumshitter on a facebook post and when they sent in a corporate person to talk to me about it i just said "nope, wasn't me."

i knew they were going to fire me anyway so i just denied everything and cut my spending while searching for another job. it took them three months to finally fire me and the person doing the firing was really, really, really, pissed that i made them do their job instead of immediately admitting guilt and it really showed

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

I'm not really joking about universities having their own rule of law.

Sometimes instead of admitting fault at the university level people will adopt those policies as national law and bomb the World Trade Center and outlaw raves via the rave act.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

I think we can agree that the university should not have been handling this whether or not the poster is guilty, because they've hosed the situation up beyond hope of justice either way.

Yeah that's really the point here. They've come up with literally the dumbest solution on all accounts. If the post is a lie and he totally is a scumbag the school is just letting him off of rape with "I'm sorry, I won't do it again", if he's innocent the school is intentionally or unintentionally trying to falsely incriminate him. Whether you lean towards believing him/not believing him the school solution sucks so it'd really have been better off just going through the legal system.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

i lost a lovely retail job for calling my boss a cumshitter on a facebook post and when they sent in a corporate person to talk to me about it i just said "nope, wasn't me."

i knew they were going to fire me anyway so i just denied everything and cut my spending while searching for another job. it took them three months to finally fire me and the person doing the firing was really, really, really, pissed that i made them do their job instead of immediately admitting guilt and it really showed

haha

I once got in trouble for sending an anonymous email (through one of those anon email services) outing someone for something bad and I never copped to it. so they were never able to prove poo poo :smuggo:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Yes it would have been better, although tbh still really bad, if it had gone through the legal system. Weird how that almost never happens. It's almost like incredibly powerful, wealthy universities do whatever they can to prevent it from going through the legal system, because it might hurt them if it did.

Seriously next time you guys see an article about campus rape, please read it

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The best part was that they took me to a fancy board room and the lady firing me slowly walked up to a window to stare out of it and was like,

"Do you know why I know it was you cumshitter?"

"No, because it wasn't me and you're wrong. Stop trying to get me to admit guilt on this."

"..."

"..."

"Security will escort you out now. If you want to say anything now you can."

"Sorry, but I can't comment on your bullshit closed investigation where you've told me nothing. You suck at your job."

I could tell she really sucked at her job because she was all trying to get me to let a delivery person give me my final check in person delivered at 7 PM on a Friday night (the day they fired me) and I was like, "No. I have plans. I'm not going to be there to accept the check. Stop trying to do this, just mail it to me Jesus Christ you incompetent fuckwit I don't care about the loving check. I can see why you would think it's important to me, since you know how much you pay me, but I'm fine back the gently caress off."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To be honest most institutions rely more on intimidation than their core powers.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

To be honest most institutions rely more on intimidation than their core powers.

Yeah they were massively incompetent. One time they let four people go because they discovered that they had called out sick but had actually gone to Disneyland based on the pictures they posted to Facebook.

There was a good 6 months where their HR department couldn't hire people faster than they fired them, which forced everyone else to work an average of 10 hours of overtime per week. This was a bullshit job at one of the Los Angeles studios, so when they told me "You'll never work here again in any capacity" I was like, "So what? I've seen how you guys run a business. Why would I want to work for you if I had any clout?"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"So what?" is the two words any institution most fears. That was me at the end of my PhD. "You'll never work in academia!" Okay, good, I'll manage a Denny's and make 5x as much.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cumshitter posted:

The best part was that they took me to a fancy board room and the lady firing me slowly walked up to a window to stare out of it and was like,

"Do you know why I know it was you cumshitter?"

"No, because it wasn't me and you're wrong. Stop trying to get me to admit guilt on this."

"..."

"..."

"Security will escort you out now. If you want to say anything now you can."

"Sorry, but I can't comment on your bullshit closed investigation where you've told me nothing. You suck at your job."

I could tell she really sucked at her job because she was all trying to get me to let a delivery person give me my final check in person delivered at 7 PM on a Friday night (the day they fired me) and I was like, "No. I have plans. I'm not going to be there to accept the check. Stop trying to do this, just mail it to me Jesus Christ you incompetent fuckwit I don't care about the loving check. I can see why you would think it's important to me, since you know how much you pay me, but I'm fine back the gently caress off."

Aren't they going to bad mouth you when you try to get another job? How do you leave on bad terms? Do you just leave that job off of resumes?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

Aren't they going to bad mouth you when you try to get another job? How do you leave on bad terms? Do you just leave that job off of resumes?

It was retail, and at that point in my life all I could hope to get was another retail position.

And yes, I did put it on resumes and actually listed it on a resume I used to get out of retail. It's illegal for an HR person to say "Don't hire this person" and when you have worked for a large enough company all their HR department is going to say is, "Yes, I can confirm cumshitter worked here from X date to Y date in Z capacity."

Like if they're checking your references you either hosed the interview or you're already hired and they're looking for reasons to fire you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If it's that bad, there are services that act as pretend references anyway. System is messed up.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

CharlestheHammer posted:

Sorry there is no way your dumb conspiracy theory is happening.
... but it does happen? That's an article detailing to police officers how to nudge a suspect into confessing via an apology letter to get that sweet conviction.

oh, and a cursory googling shows that these are the statutes of limitations on rape in all 50 states. Minimum time is 3 years, to no actual limit. Admission now, if the girl gets wind of it and gets the letter of apology, could in fact pull the allegations back to light and land him back in court.

Sestze fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

Yeah as long as they can brow beat you into adopting their ideals with sexual degradation and racism with the ongoing threat of ruining your academic career for any form of protest they can maintain some delusional narcissistic mindset that they are in control despite things like the law and society telling them no.