Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There were gonna be dinosaurs in The Core? And they took them out?

Probably just a dramatic scene where they drill past skeletons in the magma or something, but if not and they were going full Journey To The Centre Of The Earth they totally should've leaned into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MikeJF posted:

Probably just a dramatic scene where they drill past skeletons in the magma or something, but if not and they were going full Journey To The Centre Of The Earth they totally should've leaned into it.

Magma flying out of a T-rex skull killing the pilot does sound plausible.

It is a shame they went for scientific accuracy.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Magma flying out of a T-rex skull killing the pilot does sound plausible.

It is a shame they went for scientific accuracy.

Oh god, you're right. He said there was a windshield, so they're drilling through the ground, they hit like a big bunch of dinosaur skeletons, and someone says "oh no, it's a BONE STORM" and there's like, sounds of bones hitting the ship like hailstones on a car, and bones hit the windshield making little cracks like pebbles thrown from a truck, and then a T-Rex skull hits and actually gets embedded in the windshield, and as it gets stuck the jaw opens and that lets magma in and it looks like the T-rex skull is vomiting magma

We could've had that scene in a movie.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Guy Goodbody posted:

Oh god, you're right. He said there was a windshield, so they're drilling through the ground, they hit like a big bunch of dinosaur skeletons, and someone says "oh no, it's a BONE STORM" and there's like, sounds of bones hitting the ship like hailstones on a car, and bones hit the windshield making little cracks like pebbles thrown from a truck, and then a T-Rex skull hits and actually gets embedded in the windshield, and as it gets stuck the jaw opens and that lets magma in and it looks like the T-rex skull is vomiting magma

We could've had that scene in a movie.

Another pivotal moment is where they draw straws on who would crawl outside to replace the wiper blades on said windshield while burrowing deep into the earth's mantle.

Maybe someday a remake will give it justice.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 14, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Dinosaurs living in a geode would've been loving awesome.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
HUGE missed opportunity for The Core to not have dinosaurs and magma creatures. Sounds like they hired 100% the wrong screenwriter.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

feedmyleg posted:

HUGE missed opportunity for The Core to not have dinosaurs and magma creatures. Sounds like they hired 100% the wrong screenwriter.

Here's hoping the earth's core gets pissed off again and decides to stop spinning so we can revisit the tale. *

* Sadly if I punch through the channels and this one is on I will watch it. Because it goes 0-bad in 4 seconds.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Syncopated posted:

Fantastic Beasts should definitely have been some sort or anthology movie.

here's my pitch:

set in the modern day, you make a youtube series that's a mix between the Crocodile Hunter and Harry Potter, "starring" a distant wizarding relative of Newt Scamander who is poo poo at magic. Like Jackass means Dr. Who.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DC Murderverse posted:

here's my pitch:

set in the modern day, you make a youtube series that's a mix between the Crocodile Hunter and Harry Potter, "starring" a distant wizarding relative of Newt Scamander who is poo poo at magic. Like Jackass means Dr. Who.

Sort of a Guerrilla Camera type of movie? Like a low budget, indie conservation documentary (but with hundreds of millions in FX budget). I'd be tempted to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I was really hoping Fantastic Beasts would be more like a Grimm's Fairy Tales road movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Wow I'm watching the core on Netflix now and this film raises so many questions

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e: wrong thread

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Have we all been targeted by Netflix algorithms? I also inexplicably watched The Core the other day.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There were gonna be dinosaurs in The Core? And they took them out?

I’m so loving angry about this and I don’t know why.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I saw The Core in theaters, so I ... win?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m so loving angry about this and I don’t know why.

They kept the part where birds go nuts because the magnetic field was screwed up so technically...?

(I am so God-drat angry that I remember any of this.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rahonavis posted:

They kept the part where birds go nuts because the magnetic field was screwed up so technically...?

(I am so God-drat angry that I remember any of this.)

The one I remember is holes in the magnetic field :psyduck: letting through focused beams of microwaves :psypop: that melted the Golden Gate Bridge. :psyboom:

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Is The Core the movie where they land a space shuttle in the flood control channel?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I think I watched that movie in teathers....but I can't remember anything about it.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

i have a lot of fav scenes in this insipid yet entertaining movie (eckhart barely suppressing a smile before the camera pans away as he and tucci are seriously moving tiny 1000 megaton nuclear bombs around being a close second), but my absolute favourite thing is the singing whales actually have a payoff towards the end

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My favorite part of The Core is when the nerd rubs a Poptart wrapper on a cellphone and is like "You now have free service... FOREVER!"

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Mister Chief posted:

Is The Core the movie where they land a space shuttle in the flood control channel?

Yes. And I really want a gif of the shuttle flying over the baseball field

gregday
May 23, 2003

To me the lasting legacy of The Core is:

Gov person: "How do we stop this catastrophe from happening?"

Scientist: "We can't"

Gov person: "But... what if we could?

*scientist looks enlightened*

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

gregday posted:

To me the lasting legacy of The Core is:

Gov person: "How do we stop this catastrophe from happening?"

Scientist: "We can't"

Gov person: "But... what if we could?

*scientist looks enlightened*

There's just zero suspension of disbelief.

Giant asteroid? Sure I can potentially buy that we could build a rocket to blow it up in time.

But not traveling to the core of the planet in 3 months in a ship of totally non existent technology.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lizard Combatant posted:

But not traveling to the core of the planet in 3 months in a ship of totally non existent technology.
I was doing some makeup chemistry lab course at a community college when that movie dropped. Some kid was like "So that movie, we can totally do that stuff now like It's so possible".

:stonklol:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Lizard Combatant posted:

There's just zero suspension of disbelief.

Giant asteroid? Sure I can potentially buy that we could build a rocket to blow it up in time.

It's a fantasy story where the people who have doomed the world pretend technology will magically save them because they don't understand anything about anything expect the rigged game where they have the high score.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
minimalism

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Guy Mann posted:

minimalism

lol @ the pee pee poo poo man

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

They glow in the dark, man!! :krad:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

(full size: https://imgur.com/4CUfGGh)

The artist put 84 different movie references in there, with the key on his FB page.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He had me at the glaive from KRULL

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

FilthyImp posted:

He had me at the glaive from KRULL

I can't see his FB page, but I'm pretty sure I see the swords from Thundercats, Conan, and Princess Bride.

If someone can actually see the key can you spoiler tag it here?

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 17, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Boy oh boy do we millennials love our References!!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

feedmyleg posted:

The poster has the thing that I like!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

I grew up with Where’s Waldo so this is extremely cool and good.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

minimalism

the The Birds one looks cool.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Evil Mastermind posted:

(full size: https://imgur.com/4CUfGGh)

The artist put 84 different movie references in there, with the key on his FB page.

Why's it even a Gremlins poster at that point?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
All you need is Gizmo looking cute. Idgi

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Vincent posted:

the The Birds one looks cool.

I'm very partial to Edward Scissorhands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Why's it even a Gremlins poster at that point?

Because it looks like the China Town curio shop Mogwai was in?