Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Just finished Steamworld Dig 2.

What a great game. A little over 10 hours to complete it. I had a checkmark on every cave, but still missing some of the treasures hidden in the main areas. But so surprised to see how perfectly it worked out with maxing out my gear and buying the last cog with all my money after finding every last resource tile in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BotW was okay but much like Resident Evil 4 meant the death of the classic games I still enjoyed even if no one else did.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

BotW was okay but much like Resident Evil 4 meant the death of the classic games I still enjoyed even if no one else did.

The series was getting pretty stale after Twilight Princess. Skyward Sword tried to shake things up but didn't do nearly enough to revitalize things. You can only use OoT's formula so many times.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They could do it as many times as they liked for me

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sakurazuka posted:

Cheers, I miss games like Spyro.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mister Facetious posted:

Yeah, I didn't have a problem with the weapon degradation like he did, but the game really started feeling like FarCry: Hyrule after a while.

For me, this is almost the perfect comparison. I'd actually call it "FarCry 2:Hyrule Edition." Really fun game that's close to ruined by samey and re-spawning enemies; also has fantastic grass fire effects. Weapon degradation is basically malaria!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Having weapons that broke allowed devs to let me have a taste of sweet, sweet, oh god, the power!
Did you see how big this glowing axe is?
This is gamebreaking awesome. Oh wait I broke it. Better adapt!
As opposed to just getting a higher tier and then staying there forever.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Well when you can buy 3 million copies then maybe somebody will give a poo poo.

Personally I like BotW because it has the cutest Link.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Junkie Disease posted:

Having weapons that broke allowed devs to let me have a taste of sweet, sweet, oh god, the power!
Did you see how big this glowing axe is?
This is gamebreaking awesome. Oh wait I broke it. Better adapt!
As opposed to just getting a higher tier and then staying there forever.

I doubt there's a soul on earth that's played the game and doesn't realize the *why* of it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I think that's a tad of an exaggeration since BotW is a realization of something they'd been wanting and trying to do for years through those same games, rather than a complete fundamental shift. Plus we don't know how they'll handle future titles, which could well look to deepen dungeons and stuff within the new formula.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Coldforge posted:

For me, this is almost the perfect comparison. I'd actually call it "FarCry 2:Hyrule Edition." Really fun game that's close to ruined by samey and re-spawning enemies; also has fantastic grass fire effects. Weapon degradation is basically malaria!

Actually, I think FC2 had weapon degradation too. :ironicat:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Motto posted:

I think that's a tad of an exaggeration since BotW is a realization of something they'd been wanting and trying to do for years through those same games, rather than a complete fundamental shift. Plus we don't know how they'll handle future titles, which could well look to deepen dungeons and stuff within the new formula.

BotW is the biggest selling Zelda title in years they're not gonna put back in the stuff I liked like actual dungeons and a sense of progression because that'll gently caress with the open world thing that everyone else liked.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

yay just got an alert that paypal is on the AU store

finally

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mister Facetious posted:

Actually, I think FC2 had weapon degradation too. :ironicat:

JFC, you're right; that game had so many forced-gameplay design choices. Still have fond memories of playing it, but remembering the details tends to ruin them.

I really hope Cappy doesn't age and wither super fast when you use him :(

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

BotW is the biggest selling Zelda title in years they're not gonna put back in the stuff I liked like actual dungeons and a sense of progression because that'll gently caress with the open world thing that everyone else liked.

But you know they could make other zelda games like ALBW2 instead of just BOTW-but-better but why would they ever do that???

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Actual dungeons wouldn't gently caress with the open world at all though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
BotW had lots of dungeons. More than any Zelda!

The real problem is they just didn't feel very cohesive 'cause they were all Sheikah whatevers. Like, imagine how much cooler it would have been if all the dungeons in the southeast of the map were made by the Gerudo. Or the northern dungeons all being Kokiri temples lost to the ages, etc etc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Here's my hot-take: dungeons in 3D Zelda games have never been good from a gameplay standpoint. The enemies are all stupidly easy and don't contribute anything substantial because of it. Usually the puzzles aren't even that interesting either. I wouldn't be opposed to more substantial dungeons in the next Zelda but I've always viewed them as the weakest parts of the series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The dungeons would ideally have equipment in that you needed to access certain parts of the world so yes they would.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
plus, zelda hasn't done a sense of progress well in a while anyways

getting powered up feels moot because either enemies scale to your new gear, or you have a ton of health and can tank a lot of hits, getting new items hasn't felt meaningful as they are only mostly useful in the relevant dungeons, save for the series staples like hookshots

that said, the next zelda can absolutely benefit from uniquely themed shrines and larger dungeons

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nintendo has always been good at iterating and building off of what worked in the previous games and making them bigger and better. I don't think BOTW's follow up is just going to be more of the same, honestly. They'll take the foundation they had and expand on it, and if they find a way to make dungeons work with their new scope, they'll put them in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sakurazuka posted:

The dungeons would ideally have equipment in that you needed to access certain parts of the world so yes they would.

No reason they need to do dungeon items again. Those have always been stupid because half of them are relevant for one dungeon and then never again. I much prefer BotW giving you a bunch of useful tools at the start that stay relevant for the whole game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

They could just have cool abilities and items that are useful without being absolutely necessary to beating the other stuff.

Revali's gale was a gamechanger without being an arbitrary progression blocker.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
also elliot quest is coming out soon and will probably provide that classic zelda itch, it's supposed to be a competent zelda 2-like

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Skyword sword is reall bad and twilight princess is cutting it close, so I'm glad BotW could mean a new era for 3D zelda games free from the stale OoT formula. Get over it, nerds.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Man I really hope you're wrong, because I love BotW as just a generic open-world game that heavily encouraged exploration and puzzle-solving and stuff, but MAN when it tried to be an actual Zelda game? (I.e. the dungeons and bosses and getting fancy new gadgets and upgrades and stuff from sidequests) It kinda...felt a little lackluster?

There got to be a point where I had no reason to do any sidequests anymore other than "to do more sidequests" because every reward they gave you was temporary. Weapons, materials, food, rupees, etc. the only permanent upgrades you ever get outside of stamina/hearts (which is entirely tied to shrines and nothing else) are clothing sets that have passive bonuses. Even the sidequests involving dropping dragon scales into the fountains of power/wisdom/courage just give you an elemental weapon (which will break eventually) and a shrine. It's like if every sidequest in OoT or Majora's Mask just gave you a blue potion as a reward instead of a mask, or an upgraded sword, or anything that wouldn't be gone five minutes later.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Yeah, hopefully everyone agrees that "you got a magical superweapon that's gonna break in six hits on some bullshit bokoblin" was the worst part of BotW and it's better in subsequent Cool Open World Zeldas.

That or how there's only, like, five enemies

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bleck posted:

Yeah, hopefully everyone agrees that "you got a magical superweapon that's gonna break in six hits on some bullshit bokoblin" was the worst part of BotW and it's better in subsequent Cool Open World Zeldas.

That or how there's only, like, five enemies

I didn't mind weapon degradation but I wouldn't mind it going away either (provided they change the design to account for it of course).

The enemy variety being so small was definitely lame though.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Like, come on, they couldn't even give us Leevers in the desert? Even though Leevers are the worst and I hate them?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A majora's mask style weirdo spinoff off of botw would be so good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
TBh I'm shocked the game didn't have any Darknuts in it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
When's the next year of luigi

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Andrast posted:

This is what I want. Another big, open world to explore, but not Hyrule, and full of weird stuff.

Honestly I don't know if I'd change that much about dungeons from BotW. I thought I'd miss them but I didn't. No other open world game adventure game has ever grabbed me the way BotW did. I could never get into the Assassin's Creed or Witcher games, but just the act of exploring in Zelda felt fun in a way those games didn't.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I agree with some of the criticism towards BotW (underwhelming "dungeons", lack of enemy variety) but the rest of the game is still so good I'd give it a 10/10 still. As amazing as it was, it could set the groundwork for future Zelda's to expand upon

Also I'm glad BotW's weapon degredation takes me out of my comfort zone and doesn't let me safely min/max too much

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BOTW has plenty of nits to pick, but the fact is it is a drastic leap forward in open world game design. The way the introductory hours gently draw you to Kakariko and Hateno and set you upon your task of rescuing the four guardians in a way that echoes the linear progression of an older Zelda game, but in a completely open world where you're free to ignore whatever direction you're given, is just magnificent. It's a really stunning achievement in game design. I can't imagine how much play testing it must have taken to get that right, and make sure players of a variety of skill levels and experience got to that point without using any artificial barriers to herd them through it.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 17, 2017

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Andrast posted:

Literally just take the BotW map and cover it in huge towns full of people just aching to give you hundreds of motherfuckin' side quests

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The weapon degradation is part of the gameplay loop that makes BotW work. What sticks with you and improves is your gear, which you collect by beating monsters, which steadily also leads to better weapons and makes it more efficient while being forced to replace your weapons incentivizes you to expand your inventory and collect more and more. Weapons lead to drops leads to better gear leads to more survicability leads to getting better weapons etc etc. It keeps you playing and once the cycle gains momentum it's very addicting.

Honestly, what a sequel would go better than simply replacing the weapon system is introduce an experience system and upgrades to Link himself that makes for more permanent augmentations in strength ability and magic rather than powerful weapons that never go away.

Ironically this would be sort of like Zelda II in relation to its predecessor.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The weapon degradation is part of the gameplay loop that makes BotW work. What sticks with you and improves is your gear, which you collect by beating monsters, which steadily also leads to better weapons and makes it more efficient while being forced to replace your weapons incentivizes you to expand your inventory and collect more and more. Weapons lead to drops leads to better gear leads to more survicability leads to getting better weapons etc etc.

Seriously, everyone gets the intention. Varied gameplay, puzzle solving as part of combat, need to constantly scrounge for replacments, yada yada. The problem is....

quote:

It keeps you playing and once the cycle gains momentum it's very addicting.

...this isn't the case for everyone. It certainly is for some people, but for others it's jarring and off-putting, and can partially ruin the feel of the game.

quote:

Honestly, what a sequel would go better than simply replacing the weapon system is introduce an experience system and upgrades to Link himself that makes for more permanent augmentations in strength ability and magic rather than powerful weapons that never go away.

Ironically this would be sort of like Zelda II in relation to its predecessor.

Sure. I'd even suggest there's no need for a weapon upgrade system at all in BoTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I do think the problems with BotW became more evident near the end, but it wasn't enough to hamper my enjoyment, and weapon degradation wasn't one of the problems I had--it forced you to save your stuff for meaningful encounters, up until you reached the point where you were getting more weapons than you actually needed. Plus, if your weapons lasted forever, you can bet that every chest would have contained a bunch of useless loving rupees, which would have been far less satisfying.

Changes I'd make: Dungeons (or even just the hardest shrines) should have items that make travel more convenient; imagine having a hookshot, a double clawshot, or a spinner that could actually travel along any climbable wall.

I'd also add more korok puzzle types; 50 or so might sound like a lot of types to add but considering some of them are as simple as "press A on shiny spot", I don't think it's unreasonable to invent that many. I'd keep the number of "for maxing out" koroks in the range of 441, just like what we have now, but I'd lower the inventory space requirements and make the other koroks give you other stuff like maybe unique unfarmable armor upgrade ingredients.

I don't even need proper classic dungeons, but I'd love more that are similar to Hyrule castle, which you can plan looting expeditions to midgame. Also, caves, give me caves!

• Locked thread