Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

One day Johnny will return in a full-fledged game, his time is yet to come, the concept of five aces, balls on a cliff and bookworld will always resonate with gamer consciousness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Johnny Five Aces Will Return

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/Terrestri0us/status/919405052363669504

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

did they rejigger something when they retranslated fft to make it more unclear because as jacked up as the original ps1 translation was it seemed pretty clear that not only did argath shoot teta on purpose to get a clear shot at gustav but did so at the behest of zalbag who had told him she was expendable

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 17, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I’m so close to finally beating P5 I can taste it.

It’s such a good game otherwise but honestly the story is just kind of a drag at a lot of points. I’m excited about finishing it though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Palpek posted:

One day Johnny will return in a full-fledged game, his time is yet to come, the concept of five aces, balls on a cliff and bookworld will always resonate with gamer consciousness.

did anyone ever just make a J5A mod using the Fallout New Vegas assets?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

lets hang out posted:

btw noticed this in the manual????

warakiya? oof, gonna guess it was wallachia

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Chatter is that the Shadow of War microtransactions are completely irrelevant unless you get into the asynchronous invasion multiplayer for whatever reason or want to keep playing after the ending

p much, there's enough orcs and gear that its kind of irrelevant in the actual game. later if you want to futz around post-Act IV more it gets harder and harder to do since you kind of conquer everything

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Cowcaster posted:

did they rejigger something when they retranslated fft to make it more unclear because as jacked up as the original ps1 translation was it seemed pretty clear that not only did argath shoot teta on purpose to get a clear shot at gustav but did so at the behest of zalbag who had told him she was expendable

If you don't spend every story mission with Algus throwing rocks at his elitist noggin after robbing him of his equipment, you're pretty much complicit in his murderous acts later on. I love that when he's introduced the game provides the one choice where the stat boost is "kill the enemies" instead of "save the victim." They knew he should be gutted; Ramza stepping in pretty much doomed him and Delita, although I guess the Beoulve conspiracy would have remained undisturbed. It's a good game but I never got past chapter 3.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nina posted:

I’m so close to finally beating P5 I can taste it.

It’s such a good game otherwise but honestly the story is just kind of a drag at a lot of points. I’m excited about finishing it though.

I'm finding it hard to get through Persona 5. I just did the Museum palace and I'm not into it much at all. I miss Chie and Kanji from P4. Characters in P5 so far don't seem to be as much fun as them. Morgana is incredibly annoying. The repeated phrases you hear during non-voiced dialogue is annoying too. The gameplay is too easy and battles are a mindless chore.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

exploded mummy posted:

warakiya? oof, gonna guess it was wallachia

this is revisionist history once again erasing the proud Warakiyans

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't care about microtransactions in Shadow of War but the fact that it features Sheloba turned into a seductive human dominatrix with a sexy voice who helps the player because Sauron broke up with her is pretty fucken lol.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I think it’s a more interesting situation if it’s an accident. Making Delita’s motivation for his subsequent quest for power the result of a comedy of errors appeals to me more, so I’m going to imagine that’s what happens since I can’t remember the exact text surrounding the incident

They kidnapped the sister because they mistook her for a Beoulve after all, makes sense for one fuckup to lead to another

Zalbaag gives the order to shoot although I'm sure the order was "Kill Gragoroth by any means necessary even if it results in collateral damage." It was pretty clearly planned by Argath because Zalbaag doesn't know Ramza is hiding while Argath is all "psst here's how to sneak in, be at this exact spot at this exact time lol."

Fuuuck I want to play FFT again.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't much care for these final fantasies except for the ones i played as a child and therefore have dumbass nostalgia for, but final fantasy tactics is still good, in my brain.

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

some guy on the bus posted:

I'm finding it hard to get through Persona 5. I just did the Museum palace and I'm not into it much at all. I miss Chie and Kanji from P4. Characters in P5 so far don't seem to be as much fun as them. Morgana is incredibly annoying. The repeated phrases you hear during non-voiced dialogue is annoying too. The gameplay is too easy and battles are a mindless chore.

I'm having trouble getting through the second phan-site target. I keep losing interest and pushing through every couple of months. Motivation kinda dropped after having taken down the first villain. That was really satisfying

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

P5 makes so many gameplay and QoL improvements that I don't think I can easily go back to the other games, but the characters are all unlikeable whinelords so I still haven't beaten it either :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

food court bailiff posted:

P5 makes so many gameplay and QoL improvements that I don't think I can easily go back to the other games, but the characters are all unlikeable whinelords so I still haven't beaten it either :(

This mentality is alien to me. P3 characters are babies. P4 characters live in podunk, nowhere and so unconditionally want anything new and shiny. P5 characters are all victims and want desperately to go back to normal. I'll take the P4 cast but the P5 cast are actually proactive.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Instead of playing Castlevania III y'all should just watch the Netflix mini-series.

Better yet, don't do this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yosuke sucks massively so good riddance. ryuji is very over the top but i like his social link. makoto and yusuke rule. didn't really care about haru at all but she has the best phantom thief design

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i watched the castlevania show on netflix on goon recommendations, and it was bad

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i haven't heard anyone say it was good. but they say yokio ghost or whatever is good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Raserys posted:

i played a videogame on goon recommendations, and it was bad

quote genericized for use in the video games forum on Something Awful Dot Com

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

al-azad posted:

This mentality is alien to me. P3 characters are babies. P4 characters live in podunk, nowhere and so unconditionally want anything new and shiny. P5 characters are all victims and want desperately to go back to normal. I'll take the P4 cast but the P5 cast are actually proactive.

The upperclassmen in P3 are cool, and I wasn't really talking about their motivations, just their personalities. Ann is just awful, Yusuke is super annoying, Ryuji is...just Yosuke except with a more annoying personality.

And uh I don't really see anyone in P5 wanting to go back to normal, I haven't beaten it yet but I'm a bunch of dungeons in and everyone can't stop talking about how awesome it is to be a ~Phantom Thief~ and how much everyone loves their fan site and stuff.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ryuji is the It's Pikachu kid but about everything

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is yusuke and yosuke like john and jon in japanese

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

The upperclassmen in P3 are cool, and I wasn't really talking about their motivations, just their personalities. Ann is just awful, Yusuke is super annoying, Ryuji is...just Yosuke except with a more annoying personality.

And uh I don't really see anyone in P5 wanting to go back to normal, I haven't beaten it yet but I'm a bunch of dungeons in and everyone can't stop talking about how awesome it is to be a ~Phantom Thief~ and how much everyone loves their fan site and stuff.

Ryuji isn't an rear end in a top hat like Yosuke.

Ryuji is a good boy.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yosuke is the one reason the P4 MC ever leaves the house at all

Ryuji just wants to look up skirts

Cowcaster posted:

you say tomato, I say tomato

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

Nah that's yamata and yamada.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

oddium posted:

i haven't heard anyone say it was good. but they say yokio ghost or whatever is good

That's the exact opposite of what I've heard

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The fight between Trevor and Alucard is good and that's about it.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

https://twitter.com/JohnCena/status/920153833992478720

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I thought Netflix's Castlevania was going to be a lot worse given the usual standard of video game adaptions so I was a bit pleasantly surprised

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
It sucked whenever it was trying to be funny but was alright otherwise

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Your leisure time is too precious to waste on something that's merely alright

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought the part where he lifted up the other dude by his dick and slammed him would be the best part, but then at the end he topped it with his best Kramer impression

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

That definitely isn't true

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

yosuke sucks massively so good riddance. ryuji is very over the top but i like his social link. makoto and yusuke rule. didn't really care about haru at all but she has the best phantom thief design

Haru's story honestly annoys me about P5. Her dad gets freaking killed by the phantom thieves and she shrugs it off in like 2 lines of dialogue. It makes no sense!!!!! her pants and hat are cool though of course

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

lol no

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I'm betting on catfights in yakuza 0 for a trophy

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and the mystery of why some people think mediocre games are ok and some think they are bad is solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

some guy on the bus posted:

I prefer Morgana to Teddy infinitely as the mascot character though.

In Training posted:

Haru's story honestly annoys me about P5. Her dad gets freaking killed by the phantom thieves and she shrugs it off in like 2 lines of dialogue. It makes no sense!!!!! her pants and hat are cool though of course

I gotta admit the characters' introductory arcs have like no narrative inertia later outside their personal social link stuff. It's a lot of missed potential.

Nina fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 17, 2017

• Locked thread