Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm surprised to hear people saying this about garlic. It's something that can go in basically everything and often it's nice to use a lot of it. And if it is sprouting a bit, who cares, chop the sprouts off and use the good bits. It's still fine to use

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

I have come into possession of a large number of ghost chilies. I'm going to make hot sauce with most of them since there's no way I can eat them all. I've never made hot sauce before, please post recipe suggestions. I enjoy vinegary hot sauces, and there's a bar in town that makes ghost chili wing sauce which is fantastic so something thick that can cling to a food would be good.
Chop, ferment in brine, purée, top off with some vinegar.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Paperhouse posted:

I'm surprised to hear people saying this about garlic. It's something that can go in basically everything and often it's nice to use a lot of it. And if it is sprouting a bit, who cares, chop the sprouts off and use the good bits. It's still fine to use

I'm really touchy about garlic since that time I put some in that was too old, it spoiled the whole dish. I now smell garlic before I dare put it in the food, it has an off smell I ignored the first time. I also used to throw away a lot of bulbs because I am so paranoid about it. So now I just buy 1 or 2 garlic bulbs at a time so it won't have time to go old, or I use garlic paste in jars, because it seems proof against this.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ulmont posted:

A warning that coconut milk is basically coconut oil that's somewhat diluted. Admittedly only 1/3 the calories of coconut oil, but still, it adds up fast.

It's cool, it was for my main meal of the day so the calorie dump isn't too bad. I also don't regularly use it.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I'm really touchy about garlic since that time I put some in that was too old, it spoiled the whole dish. I now smell garlic before I dare put it in the food, it has an off smell I ignored the first time. I also used to throw away a lot of bulbs because I am so paranoid about it. So now I just buy 1 or 2 garlic bulbs at a time so it won't have time to go old, or I use garlic paste in jars, because it seems proof against this.

Farmers market near you will sort this out. I never buy in bulk anymore, cause I'm tired of veggies going rotten before I can use them (cause they come in stupid sized packs, who needs 5 courgettes or 6 onions?). I just visit my farmers market when I can be fussed and get what I need to last for the next 2-3 days. Supermarkets have it as well, you can weigh exactly what you want and just buy that, but lately my supermarket's quality control has been poo poo: onions rotting completely the day after I buy them, going to buy packaged herbs only to see a bunch of bags with completely rotten herbs inside (sitting in their juices). So now I'm veering away from supermarkets for veggies and instead trying to make a habit of visiting my farmers market for that stuff.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm out in the sticks, more actual farmers around me than farmers markets. But we have a great supermarket were I can pick onions and garlic by hand in the amount I want.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
What terrifying hell scape do you live at that the shops close at 4 pm on a weekend.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Who are you addressing now?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

:catstare:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Perhaps Germany?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I'm guessing UK. All the big supermarkets close at 1600 on Sundays because of extremely stupid Sunday trading laws which should be abolished

Qubee
May 31, 2013

shops in the uk close on a sunday at 4pm, and I'm in Hull which is a bogwater city that is slowly dying out.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Chocolate indeed. I used this recipe and it turned out pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT3bljfAPCc

So I could just do every step up to the actual cooking and then leave them in the fridge until ready?

Yeah you should be fine with it.
The recipe I used to use all the time and had success with storing it before baking didn't use the egg yolks with the chocolate.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Scientastic posted:

I'm guessing UK. All the big supermarkets close at 1600 on Sundays because of extremely stupid Sunday trading laws which should be abolished

You can usually find a small Tesco or Sainsbury's that's open till 10 or 11 though

In Austria I experienced NO SHOPS OPEN AT ALL AT ANY TIME on Sundays. I didn't like it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Q8ee posted:

who needs...6 onions?

lol just lol if you don't go through six onions per day

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, I was wondering. Six onions is, like, a good start?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Ah so that is your secret posting recipe

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Thumposaurus posted:

Yeah you should be fine with it.
The recipe I used to use all the time and had success with storing it before baking didn't use the egg yolks with the chocolate.

Thanks amigo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Weird question, but how do people with smaller apartments deal with the fact that the smell of the stuff you cook absorbs into your clothes? My bedroom is like 5 feet of hallway from my kitchen and the closet where I hang my jackets is even closer than that. I went into work today smelling like onions because it had absorbed into my jacket from the night before. Should I just never cook with onions or garlic? I'm not just being paranoid either I asked people at work to smell the jacket and they all agreed it smelled(not a particularly bad smell, but still, it's strong and hard to ignore).

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you have a window in your kitchen?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Basebf555 posted:

Weird question, but how do people with smaller apartments deal with the fact that the smell of the stuff you cook absorbs into your clothes? My bedroom is like 5 feet of hallway from my kitchen and the closet where I hang my jackets is even closer than that. I went into work today smelling like onions because it had absorbed into my jacket from the night before. Should I just never cook with onions or garlic? I'm not just being paranoid either I asked people at work to smell the jacket and they all agreed it smelled(not a particularly bad smell, but still, it's strong and hard to ignore).

Hang it on the porch over night to air it out.

Lots of cans of Febreze. Open the windows, make sure your stove hood vent/fan is going, use those grease screens...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have a window in the apartment but I'm not sure how much it will change things because it's across the room AND I of course always have the stove vent going full blast whenever I'm cooking anyway. But I'll try that next time.

Laundry isn't cheap so I'd rather not be washing clothes just to get food smells out of them. I make curry pretty often and nobody's ever commented but I'm now wondering if I've been walking around smelling like it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If the hood is internal, it's basically useless. It has to vent outside to have a hope of working. I have a window near my stove, and I put a huge -- like, industrial, huge -- fan in the window when I'm doing something I know is going to be smoky or smelly.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
A splatter guard might help a little. It's like a mesh you put over a frying pan when you cook with it to stop oil spraying everywhere.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If I'm looking for a single cookbook to have sitting around that's as comprehensive as possible, is Birdman's How to Cook Everything still the common recommendation?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Q8ee posted:

(cause they come in stupid sized packs, who needs 5 courgettes or 6 onions?).
I wish I'd read this last night, because I literally had 6 yellow onions in the kitchen.

Today I only have 4.

I've also got probably 150 potato onions (this year's backyard harvest), but they're only about the size of a ping pong ball sous vide orb. They'll last for loving ever, though---after harvesting these earlier this season for shits and grins I planted a couple that were left over from last year and they're happily growing in the back yard now.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

I have a window in the apartment but I'm not sure how much it will change things because it's across the room AND I of course always have the stove vent going full blast whenever I'm cooking anyway. But I'll try that next time.

Laundry isn't cheap so I'd rather not be washing clothes just to get food smells out of them. I make curry pretty often and nobody's ever commented but I'm now wondering if I've been walking around smelling like it.

I've had these same worries too, but as far as I can tell, keeping all my clothes either in a closet or chest of drawers stops most of the smells getting into them. I also keep the bedroom door and kitchen door closed whenever I cook.

I've got a dehumidifier that I stick in my bedroom from time to time, crank it up to the highest setting and spray perfume / cologne / febreeze into the vent fan so the entire room ends up smelling really good (and hopefully my clothes too).

SubG posted:

I wish I'd read this last night, because I literally had 6 yellow onions in the kitchen.

Today I only have 4.

I've also got probably 150 potato onions (this year's backyard harvest), but they're only about the size of a ping pong ball sous vide orb. They'll last for loving ever, though---after harvesting these earlier this season for shits and grins I planted a couple that were left over from last year and they're happily growing in the back yard now.

I guess I just don't know how to properly store stuff. I can't imagine people had their onions go rotten after just a few days in the old days. I usually stick my onions in the fridge, is that wrong? The one time I stuck the onions in a kitchen cupboard, they'd gotten very bruised and rotten the next day (I hadn't hit them or anything, so the bruising was purely from rot setting in)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone have any tips for serving rice in a buffet style setting? We're doing a burrito bar at work next week, and I signed up to bring some rice. How can I keep it warm without over cooking and making it gummy?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Q8ee posted:

I've had these same worries too, but as far as I can tell, keeping all my clothes either in a closet or chest of drawers stops most of the smells getting into them. I also keep the bedroom door and kitchen door closed whenever I cook.

I've got a dehumidifier that I stick in my bedroom from time to time, crank it up to the highest setting and spray perfume / cologne / febreeze into the vent fan so the entire room ends up smelling really good (and hopefully my clothes too).

I guess I just don't know how to properly store stuff. I can't imagine people had their onions go rotten after just a few days in the old days. I usually stick my onions in the fridge, is that wrong? The one time I stuck the onions in a kitchen cupboard, they'd gotten very bruised and rotten the next day (I hadn't hit them or anything, so the bruising was purely from rot setting in)

I keep my onions in a bowl on the counter. I normally buy 10 pounds at a time, and I've never had them go bad.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Q8ee posted:

That sounds like they were bad to begin with.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've never had onions rot, they just get smaller and stinkier until I use them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Q8ee posted:

The onions (and other aliums) used today for commercial production aren't the same as the cultivars you would've been growing even a generation ago for subsistence farming. The potato onions I mentioned above are an example of a cultivar that used to be widely grown in home gardens because they produce like a motherfucker and they keep forever. They're also way more earthy and `oniony' than most grocery store onions. But they're difficult to mechanically harvest and process, so you're unlikely to run into any unless you grow them yourself.

The yellow onion you get at the grocery store is usually something like a Grano/Texas Grano, Pyramid, Arad, and so on. They're usually selected for harvest weight, not durability, and they're not going to be cured the way you'd cure an onion for long-term storage.

That all being said, unless your grocer is selling damaged or really old produce an onion should last you at least a week. Like a Texas Grano isn't an onion that's particularly good for long-term storage but in ideal conditions you'd still expect them to last a month or two.

First of all, the fridge is not the place for an onion. Most onions like the stereotypical root cellar environment---cool but not cold. Giving them some air also helps---for long-term storage I use onion sleeves (the vertical mesh bag-things you sometimes see used to hang produce). For shorter term storage I have a few wire mesh produce bins on the countertop.

Many people swear by perforated paper bags---take a paper bag (like a lunch sack), cut slits or use a hole punch on it, and store a few onions per bag. I've never felt the need to do anything that fancy to get acceptable storage times out of my alliums, but it's something worth looking into if you're having trouble.

Anyway, as a general rule of thumb if your onions are rotting they're too cold and if they're sprouting they're too warm. They wildcard here is that most alliums will decide to try sprouting if they experience a temperature cycle (e.g. cooler then warmer) and if they're damaged or diseased they can end up rotting regardless. It's also the case that different onions behave differently, but this is going to be generally true for the commercially produced yellow onions I'm familiar with.

It's probably also worth noting that if your garlic is sprouting the advice is the opposite---it's almost always because you didn't keep them warm enough. Garlics are even more sensitive to temperature cycling than onions are, and they generally want to be kept warmer than commercial yellow onions. This is for silverskin garlic, which is almost certainly what you're looking at if you buy garlic from the store. hardneck garlics behave differently, but you won't see them outside of niche markets because they don't keep anywhere near as well as softnecks like silverskin.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Should I bother washing all these new delitainers I got if they were shrink wrapped

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

This is a really stupid question, but, what's the easiest way to tell the difference between Arrowroot and Corn Starch?

Idiot me bought them both at the same time, poured the contents into identical mason jars, threw them on the shelf and now have no idea which is which.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why are sesame seed buns popular at burger joints? Do the sesame seeds add anything beyond texture?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

emotive posted:

This is a really stupid question, but, what's the easiest way to tell the difference between Arrowroot and Corn Starch?

Idiot me bought them both at the same time, poured the contents into identical mason jars, threw them on the shelf and now have no idea which is which.

Without playing with them, apparently cornstarch has a noticeably chalky flavor, where arrowroot should have no/neutral taste.

If you still can't tell, I think you'd have to experiment some. Arrowroot in a sauce with milk will get slimy, corn starch should not. Arrowroot mixes well with acids, where corn starch does not. A mixture using arrowroot should retain its texture when frozen and thawed, one with corn starch will not. Arrowroot mixtures will be clearer, where corn starch will be cloudy.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 18, 2017

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I keep my onions in a bowl on the counter. I normally buy 10 pounds at a time, and I've never had them go bad.

I don't remember this happening before, but the last 5-7 years it's happened several times. I don't know why since my parents grow their own onions and have an assload of them, yet they don't go bad before they can be used up from what I gather.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Leavemywife posted:

Why are sesame seed buns popular at burger joints?
Because in 1968 McDonald's introduced the Big Mac, it had 'em, and the Big Mac became the best-known burger in the world. In '76 they introduced the jingle that mentions the sesame-seed bun and then it's all over bar the shouting. It's part of the public understanding of what a burger is.

Sesame seed buns and rolls were around a long time before that, and there are written references to sesame seed hamburger buns before then, but they appear to have had the connotation of being slightly fancy. Like using a sesame seed bun was a little upscale or exotic, something you'd do for special occasions or if you were trying to really wow 'em with your burgers. After the Big Mac everyfuckingbody was using them.

In theory sesame seeds contribute a little flavour, especially when toasted. But your typical burger doesn't exactly have a subtle flavour profile, so it's hard to argue that that has anything to do with their ongoing popularity. Nowadays it's mostly just because it satisfies expectations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They're awesome

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Poppy seed buns are superior.

We just need to start using everything bagel type buns tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SubG posted:

Today I only have 4.

How do you find growing potato onions? My folks grow garlic, but I thought they might like onions more since they’d be more likely to use them.

Have you ever had them flower? I came across this random person’s treatise on potato onions a while ago claiming that when they planted seeds from potato onions they got onions that were quite a bit larger than the previous onions. Plus alternate colors (red/white/yellow).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnqst7-9YfWFovhqjARtcZZVJC0TPzKsow_5mdAwnyA/mobilebasic?hl=en_US