Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

RedMagus posted:

Question that's open for all: do you delete your "bad photos"? I always worry that I'll think a photo is crap and delete it, then later find out I could of made a small edit and turned it to gold.

Slightly off-topic: Picking/rejecting images is the actual "editing" while making changes to the image is "processing". That's why you won't see a photo editor at a magazine working their butt off in Photoshop. But then again, so many people, especially in fashion, use "airbrushing" when they mean "photoshopping" :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

RedMagus posted:

Thanks Helen for that little rundown, it's gonna be saved for when I have time to play with my copy of LR

Question that's open for all: do you delete your "bad photos"? I always worry that I'll think a photo is crap and delete it, then later find out I could of made a small edit and turned it to gold.

I only ever delete photos that are totally unusable, generally meaning that they're blurry or something got in front of my shot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

I only ever delete photos that are totally unusable, generally meaning that they're blurry or something got in front of my shot.
I'm with you. One of my best selling shots is one where I was shooting and I had a metal bar from the canopy of my vehicle directly in front on my lens, causing this effect:

A little bit of tinkering produced this:

I also had someone pay me $50 for a photo of an owl's underside one time. I guess he was a sculptor and needed a reference photo (or had a weird fetish), and I had a million various angle shots of the owl he was after. Stuff I would never consider posting but kept around because how do you run out of storage space these days?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Annath posted:

So I went on a walk down to the river behind my house

Good. Good stuff. Keep it up! This exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of when I told you (everybody) to go out and shoot.

Awesome.

Caryna posted:

Slightly off-topic: Picking/rejecting images is the actual "editing" while making changes to the image is "processing". That's why you won't see a photo editor at a magazine working their butt off in Photoshop. But then again, so many people, especially in fashion, use "airbrushing" when they mean "photoshopping" :iiam:
Using these terms, when I go through the photos I shot on Sunday and decide "good / horrible / somewhere in the middle" I'm editing, and when I go through the "good" ones again later (much later), I'm processing. Is that right?
Hilariously, Adobe has a major stick up their butts about using words like "photoshop" in non-approved ways. Maybe fashionistas are just especially sympathetic to Adobe's grammatical difficulties?

InternetJunky posted:

how do you run out of storage space these days?
By being a broke-rear end dirty poor. I *could* buy another USB-HDD and not worry about file storage for another year or two for like $100, but my online backup has an enormous price jump from my current 1TB to the next level up (10TB, I think, not sure), and I exceeded that 1TB earlier this year and had to get brutal with the photo-purging to get the level down to 90% (currently 94%). I could also spend that money on food or gasoline or paying down my stupid debts; deleting poo poo is free (except for my time, which is probably worthless).

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Hilariously, Adobe has a major stick up their butts about using words like "photoshop" in non-approved ways.

How the gently caress is Photoshop® an adjective? It's a loving proper noun or it's a verb. You can't say 'that's a very Photoshop® image!'

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm off to Lightroom® the poo poo out of some Photoshops.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just because Adobe says you can't do it doesn't mean they have any legal backing. They're allowed to express any opinion they want.

If they didn't want people using their product name as an adjective then maybe they shouldn't have gotten so popular. :colbert:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

That “Adobe Photoshop” writeup started out reasonable and got more and more ridiculous and laughable as it went on. I like that they think they can stop people from saying “I photoshopped this image” or “I used photoshop for this image” and to correctly say “I edited this image with Adobe Photoshop”. Good loving luck.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

To be fair they are not trying to govern how everyday people use the terms in regular conversation.

If you are, for example, a teacher that is giving Photoshop lessons, then you must abide by those guidelines in any of your advertising material. Otherwise Adobe can legally prevent you from using their trademarks in any of your promotional material.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you own a trademark, you have to show you will defend its use by other parties. It’s a silly document (I’m presuming it’s the same one that’s been going around for years), but it’s proof they don’t want to be seen backing it becoming a generic term like ‘xerox’ did for photocopy.

Orions Lord
May 21, 2012
Vliegenzwam by roland luijken, on Flickr

I am happy with this one. D3400

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Orions Lord posted:

Vliegenzwam by roland luijken, on Flickr

I am happy with this one. D3400

That's pretty cool. What kind of lens/settings?

e: Oops! Never mind! I see that the metadata's conveniently listed on the page.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 17, 2017

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Gonna photoshop some legos.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Gonna Adobe® Photoshop® some Lego®.

ftfy

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
The Orionid meteor shower is tonight, and apparently one small-but-vital piece of my tripod is missing - the bit that attaches the camera to it :saddowns:

E: found it.

Now I can't seem to figure out how to get the long exposure feature working.

I set up the Astrotracer function on my K50, the GPS unit is working, I set it for a 30 second exposure...

But when I put it on the tripod outside and point it up, I click the button, and it just makes focusing noises, no picture.

I tested it inside, and it took a few tries to get it to do more than focus in and out, but it did eventually take a (blurry, overexposed) picture of my fridge.

I've never used it on Bulb mode before. Usually, it just takes a picture of whatever I point it at, but on this mode it seems to be not letting me force an exposure? Outside of its just focusing.

Annath fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 21, 2017

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Got some pictures!

Now to pull these few shots I got into Lightroom to see how they actually look... Hard to get an idea of the quality of a starfield on the camera screen :(

Hey! They didn't turn out half bad!

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Hey guys, I’ve finally saved up enough money to buy a camera that’d be better than my iPhone. I have $1200. I’m cross-posting this to the mirrorless thread, because I don’t know which of the two types of cameras would suit me best. All I know about the downsides of mirrorless are lower battery capacity and EVF lag in low-light, and I’m probably out of the loop regarding those things. I’m aware that just having one lens isn’t enough, and I’ll need a tripod and memory cards and other gear, so those $1200 start looking mighty short when taking those things into consideration.

I really love low-light and night photography, but I’d also like to dip into video as well. So that’s where the big issue comes in. To be frank, I don’t know which of the two I’d prioritize, and this camera would help me find that answer, I think.

I’ve included some images and videos of what I’d like to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=x8xzZXPyTxs

https://www.flickr.com/photos/songmatin/34147739761/in/faves-90085889@N00/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/songmatin/34267516812/in/faves-90085889@N00/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kristin-krahl/32492116801/in/faves-90085889@N00/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/songmatin/34199799226/in/faves-90085889@N00/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/makhmutov/7833257646/in/faves-90085889@N00/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danieleboffelli/19296229361/in/faves-90085889@N00/

https://vimeo.com/33285534

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NS3awiP13N8

I know it’s a pain in the rear end to recommend something that does both well, especially at the price point I can afford, but a man can dream.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Most of those examples you posted are entirely do-able with pretty much any camera. The night landscapes and time-lapse videos need a tripod, but don't stress the limits of a camera because you can set a long exposure - multiple seconds, for example - and have a narrow aperture and low ISO that any lens/camera combination can manage very good image quality through. Low-light is only a problem if you also need high shutter speeds and low-noise; high-noise comes from high ISO, though spending money helps. Spending money is also how you get lenses with good optics even wide open, and with wide maximum apertures (think low numbers after the F - like F/1.8) that allow those fast shutter speeds and low-noise, low-ISO shots.

Your examples are mostly urban, too, which means you can scavenge some useful light from things like neon signs, streetlights, and building lights, so low-light on a city street is quite a bit brighter than low-light inside a dark building, or in a rural area.

I have no opinion on DSLR vs mirrorless, because I think you'll be able to take photos like those with pretty much any system. So my advice is partly not serious: go unique! Get a decent mirrorless and an adaptor for one orphan manual-focus lens line. Then make a name for yourself as the lunatic that shoots all night long on a NEX with a half-dozen Yashica lenses from the 1980's.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You’re going to get way better video from a mirror less then a dslr, so look into the Panasonic G85 or GH4.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Been considering getting a DSLR for awhile and have been leaning towards a Nikon D5600.

While I understand it's mostly the same camera image-wise as the cheaper D3400, there are just enough features I could see using, such as the interval shots, wired remote port, touchscreen, etc. Thanks to working for a big box retailer, I have access to discount prices through Nikon, so I'm leaning towards new versus a second-hand older model.

Any concerns that jump out to you on the D5600s for a new DSLR user besides not being a more expensive D7XXX? I'm trying to balance capabilities with cost along with what's available locally.

SimplyCosmic fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 13, 2017

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I bought a D5600 as my first DSLR. I like it. It's not too big, not too heavy, and I find the image quality is pretty good. Even in high ISO I can usually apply some noise reduction in Lightroom and end up with good photos.

I kinda wish I had gone up to the 7XXX series though just because of the additional physical buttons on the body. Going through the menus or pushing button combos to change basic settings like ISO gets old fast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cchard/ if you want some D5600 example shots.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Thanks. I'd like to have a D7XXXX, but it's outside of my current budget.

My current thought is to get the D5600 and shoot, shoot, shoot as the best way to improve.

Then eventually take stock of where I'm at and what direction I want to go from there in terms of upgrading.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zero One posted:

I bought a D5600 as my first DSLR. I like it. It's not too big, not too heavy, and I find the image quality is pretty good. Even in high ISO I can usually apply some noise reduction in Lightroom and end up with good photos.

I kinda wish I had gone up to the 7XXX series though just because of the additional physical buttons on the body. Going through the menus or pushing button combos to change basic settings like ISO gets old fast.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cchard/ if you want some D5600 example shots.

I agree with the 7xxx button thing, Call me picky, or old (I'm not even middle aged) or a snob.. but I MUST have 2 wheels, 1 for shutter speed 1 for aperture. It makes shooting in full manual really easy.. I used my brothers cannon with 1 wheel and I found it annoying. I do enjoy that pretty much everything I need to do to shoot a picture (ISO, Shutter, Aperture etc). I do like buttons that are easily accessed so I'm not dicking around in menus trying to get to where I want. I'm sure if I had to do that I'd figure it out and be not terrible at it but I'd prefer lots of buttons instead of not many.

I own a D7000 and the only thing I wish it had was better performance at High ISO

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

tater_salad posted:

I MUST have 2 wheels, 1 for shutter speed 1 for aperture. It makes shooting in full manual really easy.. I used my brothers cannon with 1 wheel and I found it annoying.

While I’ve enjoyed learning how to shoot with a Canon, the idea of having two wheels sounds really loving good to me.

No biggie, I suppose. I tend to keep it in Av anyway...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

President Beep posted:

While I’ve enjoyed learning how to shoot with a Canon, the idea of having two wheels sounds really loving good to me.

Just picked up a D7100. Can confirm two wheels kick rear end.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Canons beyond the scrub tier systems also have two wheels.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

Canons beyond the scrub tier systems also have two wheels.

Please define “scrub tier”. We talking anything above the xxxD line?

Oops. Meant “below the xxD line”.

President Beep fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 14, 2017

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

President Beep posted:

xxD have two wheels but the second one is intentionally mediocre in the 77D and they all have an 8way button instead of a thumbstick. xD have two proper wheels and a thumbstick. That's why a 7D is still a superior camera for anything that moves vs the 80D or whatever even if they added a similar AF and newer features.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blowfish posted:

xxD have two wheels but the second one is intentionally mediocre in the 77D and they all have an 8way button instead of a thumbstick. xD have two proper wheels and a thumbstick. That's why a 7D is still a superior camera for anything that moves vs the 80D or whatever even if they added a similar AF and newer features.

Ugh. Someday.

:homebrew:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Used 7D is like $350?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

You can also easily get *four* ways to control your camera by using Fuji and use exposure compensation, iso, and shutter speed knobs as well as an aperture ring like god intended (plus a dial so I guess five).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

blowfish posted:

Used 7D is like $350?

$432 for a BGN graded mark I on KEH. Still not bad. Cheaper than I thought one would be.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

President Beep posted:

Oops. Meant “below the xxD line”.

The 760D and everything XXD and above has two wheels. AFAIK, only the 800D(T7i) and the 1300D (T6) have only one wheel. The second wheel is a thumbwheel on the back. I don't find it particularly onerous to use on my 70D.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Good info ITT. I sure as hell wish I'd started reading this subforum before my wife and I bought our T6i. Don't get me wrong, I've had a blast using it, and I certainly don't consider it to be a piece of junk, but I definitely would've gone for something gently used and higher-end had I realized how well bodies held up.

Hey, there's always next time.

My Second DSLR - 'Fool Me Twice, Shame On Me'

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

SimplyCosmic posted:

Thanks. I'd like to have a D7XXXX, but it's outside of my current budget.

My current thought is to get the D5600 and shoot, shoot, shoot as the best way to improve.

Then eventually take stock of where I'm at and what direction I want to go from there in terms of upgrading.
I like how as soon as you posted this excellent plan, everyone ignored you and started reminiscing about their favourite 2-wheel camera that you have unequivocally stated you are not buying.

Get the D5600, shoot to your heart's delight, post pictures in whatever suitable thread here in the Dorkroom. Be happy.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

SimplyCosmic posted:

Been considering getting a DSLR for awhile and have been leaning towards a Nikon D5600.

While I understand it's mostly the same camera image-wise as the cheaper D3400, there are just enough features I could see using, such as the interval shots, wired remote port, touchscreen, etc. Thanks to working for a big box retailer, I have access to discount prices through Nikon, so I'm leaning towards new versus a second-hand older model.

Any concerns that jump out to you on the D5600s for a new DSLR user besides not being a more expensive D7XXX? I'm trying to balance capabilities with cost along with what's available locally.

Do you have access to discount prices from any other brands? There are some good options from Fuji, Panasonic and Olympus in the same price range as the D5600.

It's still a great camera, though!

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Currently, Nikon is offering us special prices through the end of November making them about $200 cheaper than the equivalents on the other brands. Based on reading a bunch of forums, it seems like brand differences come out as "I like this better than that" vs "this one is poo poo avoid it", so I don't think I'm making a huge mistake by taking advantage of the offer in front of me.

While I can appreciate the arguments for the D7XXX, it's a $400 price difference from the D5600. My thought is to go with the cheapest option that I think meets my needs as a beginner and use it to make more informed decisions about my 2nd DSLR. I'd go for the D3400, but there are some specific features that make me feel the $200 savings from the D5600 would end up frustrating me sooner than later.

I considered second-hand DSLRs, something I'd recommend anyone check out as a beginner option, but the local market consists of limited options with very flakey local sellers or camera stores that charge enough to eat up most of the difference from buying new under this particular discount program.

At the end of the day, I'm not going to let "the perfect purchase" be the enemy of "good enough to get started and move on from there".

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You are correct in that comparisons between similar cameras from different brands mostly come down to a suite of partisan preferences. For 99.9% of photographers there's no appreciable difference in performance between $X worth of BrandA vs an equivalent spend on BrandB. The reason to look into the Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic options are because they are not DSLRs and offer a different set of benefits than the choice between Canon or Nikon.

Here's the thing. DSLRs are big and bulky because of the mirror box and a legacy lens mount that requires a relatively long flange distance. Mirrorless cameras are built to be smaller because there's no mirror and they don't have to keep crusty old photogs happy by retaining compatibility with 40 year old glass. If you've never carried a DSLR around all day it's hard to appreciate just how bulky they are. If you do any activities where size and weight are a major factor (such as hiking or cycling), then that extra bulk makes a DSLR an almost impossible choice. If you look at your local sales site of choice, you'll find a lot of barely used entry level kits being sold cheap because someone liked the idea of having a nice camera but found that they were leaving it behind a lot when they went out because it wasn't convenient to carry it around.

I'm not saying don't buy a DSLR. Maybe your use cases are mostly static and the size is in no way an issue for you. Maybe you like having 2kg of plastic and glass hanging off your neck. I'm saying that you should understand what the options are and that it's not simply about the technical specs, but the usability differences between different form factors are at least as important. There's no point in getting a screaming deal on a camera that will sit in a cupboard for ever.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have friends who (usually after having a kid) asked me what I thought about whatever Rebel or entry level dslr their mom friend suggested because she is a professional photographer now (which is sadly sometimes true) who does family shoots around their neighborhoods. So although I don’t say don’t get them, I bring my old NEX5n and Fuji bodies next time to show them and they are always shocked at how small they are and are surprised that my pictures look like I am using a dslr because so many people just equate good “professional looking” photos with dslrs. And all of them have ended up with mirrorless cameras. All except one stays with the kit lens but still, they carry them everywhere because they can be put in a purse and are really superior to entry level dslrs. There is really no advantage to an entry level Canon or Nikon over a similarly prices Fuji now that the autofocus has caught up with mirrorless bodies, and although I don’t think Sony is still quite as good as Fuji with crop sensor cameras in some ways, and dslrs do have advantages over mirrorless bodies if we are talking across all price points, when talking about someone getting into photography I don’t see any real benefits for that person to get a big bulky Canikon body that will not be brought out of the house as often as a mirrorless. And with Fuji you also get vastly superior out of camera jpgs that are so good that many photographers who know how to and are comfortable shooting raw still use the OOC jpgs.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, but all of those “cameras” you mention lack character.

I’ve gotta have that warm, analog mirrorfeel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

blowfish posted:

The sad part is the 50d and earlier models did have 2 wheels and a thumbstick. I upgraded from 40d to 80d and I miss that loving thing a lot. Trying to use the directional buttons next to the wheel to select one of the many dozens of autofocus points feels unnatural as hell and is a royal pain in the rear end.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 15, 2017

• Locked thread