Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

median income in latvia is like $400 a month dude

twice that number in euro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:allears:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
KRACK WPA2 attack paper is out: https://papers.mathyvanhoef.com/ccs2017.pdf

good laymans writeup from matt green that correctly throws the IEEE under a bus as well: https://blog.cryptographyengineering.com/2017/10/16/falling-through-the-kracks/

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

should have gone with kaspersky

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Top figure of the year

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
GMail now lets you turn on Advanced Security for consumer accounts aka FIDO token required for login and they make you jump through more hoops for the account reset process

https://blog.google/topics/safety-security/googles-strongest-security-those-who-need-it-most/

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

apseudonym posted:

Top figure of the year

it's a little weird to compare things that are clearly generating normal distributions to things that aren't though, unless I'm missing something here

e: wait no I didn't see that it's generating primes not just random numbers lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

it's a little weird to compare things that are clearly generating normal distributions to things that aren't though, unless I'm missing something here

e: wait no I didn't see that it's generating primes not just random numbers lol

yeah, i guess the ideal would be the area above the curve being uniformly filled. microsoft probably coming out the best, but as long as it is uniform and large enough to be visible i figure it is good

the non-uniform distributions are a bit scary since one starts to wonder whether there are higher peaks hiding in whatever causes them

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apseudonym posted:

Top figure of the year

title: “Microsoft is good? :psyduck:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

hobbesmaster posted:

Microsoft has been pretty good on infosec stuff for a while now.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah it was only 2013 when msrc was compromised

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Good compared to that TPM vendor at least.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Please don't construe OpenSSL's one instance of doing something right with an endorsement of that garbage fire

burning swine
May 26, 2004

The NXP card is bizarre. Seems like they blocked it out to fill the greatest possible area between the curve and the line, but still hosed up and massively favor one small area

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

The NXP card is bizarre. Seems like they blocked it out to fill the greatest possible area between the curve and the line, but still hosed up and massively favor one small area

if you don't have a shitload of power/cpu to work with picking a random small region of your space to hunt in makes sense, and i'd bet that none of the validation testing for this poo poo included minding their ps and qs this much

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if you don't have a shitload of power/cpu to work with picking a random small region of your space to hunt in makes sense, and i'd bet that none of the validation testing for this poo poo included minding their ps and qs this much
booooo

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

hurr hurrrr

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Please don't construe OpenSSL's one instance of doing something right with an endorsement of that garbage fire

Openssl sucks but everything else sucks more

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Windows Schannel/CryptoAPI is excellent and the rest of the world is poo poo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
What exactly does that curve on the RNG graph even mean? I don't get the significance of it.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

EssOEss posted:

What exactly does that curve on the RNG graph even mean? I don't get the significance of it.
p * q doesn't have enough bits if you go below it

Cocoa Crispies posted:

does it actually use less power to go any smaller than the microsoft box, though?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cocoa Crispies posted:

NICE!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dylan16807 posted:

does it actually use less power to go any smaller than the microsoft box, though?

possibly, the gemalto and nxp hardware is about the size of a grain of kosher salt and has pretty tight power and thermal constraints

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
We sent out a generic advisory about Krack to our users and told them to do important poo poo on a wired connection. And I know Microsoft put out a patch about it, but most of our laptops right now are still Windows 7. How hosed are our users above and beyond the usual hosed-ness?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

possibly, the gemalto and nxp hardware is about the size of a grain of kosher salt and has pretty tight power and thermal constraints

you aren’t kidding

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

you aren’t kidding
holy poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

holy poo poo

you can also buy wafers if that’s too much packaging

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The real wtf is that common attacks for these kinds of chips is decapping them and shooting lasers at specific parts of the chip

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

you aren’t kidding

yeah next time you have a chip card that gets replaced, delaminate the old one and rip it apart and try to find the chip without losing it, it's surprisingly hard

i rooted around in my shredder's output bin for the last card i ran through it to take a picture but couldn't find it

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Avenging_Mikon posted:

We sent out a generic advisory about Krack to our users and told them to do important poo poo on a wired connection. And I know Microsoft put out a patch about it, but most of our laptops right now are still Windows 7. How hosed are our users above and beyond the usual hosed-ness?

If you've got enterprise apps that run over an un-encrypted channel you're probably hosed anyway

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Avenging_Mikon posted:

i *think* windows clients weren't vulnerable from the start to the worst bits (repeating nonces in the normal handshakes), so you may be in luck. i am not sure what realistic impact the multicast stuff which may have an effect on windows can have though. may be one of those moments where actually asking microsoft may be the best job-preserving move

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Not that hosed probably, as much as we're all loathe to admit it shaggar was right, the MS implementation was largely unaffected by krack and the more minor issues were fixed last patch Tuesday anyway.

However,

abigserve posted:

If you've got enterprise apps that run over an un-encrypted channel you're probably hosed anyway

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
all the important stuff like banking etc is hosed but your facebook and twitter data is still very secure

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

50k is beyond fantastic, basically the limit for non-managers. my rent right now is 250/mo for a 2br in decent area

:eyepop:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

all the important stuff like banking etc is hosed but your facebook and twitter data is still very secure

sad but true

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

This is the motto for 2017 infosec right here

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
there was a flash update to fix an 0day https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb17-32.html

except it breaks the vmware flash client, and the recommended fix from vmware is to roll back to the old version of flash https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2151945

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I use a combination of the j# vsphere client and the html5 vsphere client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Question 1: If their corporate WiFi network were suddenly transformed into a Starbucks wifi, how hosed would they be? I.e. How much of their security depends strongly on network trust?

If the answer is "quite hosed", proceed to question 2.

Question 2: How easy is it for a hypothetical attacker to physically place equipment within the corp wifi bubble for an extended period of time without being detected? If the answer is "quiet easy" proceed to question 3.

Question 3: How likely is it anyone cares enough about their poo poo corp to get around to targeting them specifically before all the laptops and phones get patched?

• Locked thread