Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Continued shaming of an uruk eventually gives them brain damage, and their dialogue turns into giggles and murmurs. I was more emotionally invested in the slow degredation of one executioner than I have been in Talion's story. He started off weirdly eloquent for an orc and then turned into "the unashamed," then went mad and I found him hidden away in some mines as a slave.

It was a tragic descent for one little goober that I wanted in my army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

Apparently Kemco released the exact same puzzle platformer on the Gameboy multiple times only with a different licensed character each time. That's so amazingly shameless that it's downright impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu-xRmDx224&t=2052s

Hah hah hah.

I wanna say that in their mind, maybe they thought it was like selling three different skins of the same game. Like they didn't expect you to buy all three, just the one with your favorite franchise or character in it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Caufman posted:

Hah hah hah.

I wanna say that in their mind, maybe they thought it was like selling three different skins of the same game. Like they didn't expect you to buy all three, just the one with your favorite franchise or character in it.
there was only one version per territory but I'm laffing thinking about someone with collector's disease importing the mickey mouse version from japan etc

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
"Your luck has gone from bad to worse / you face an orc who speaks in verse"

Thanks, Ulug the Poet.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

In SMRPG I pretty much only used Bowser and Peach once I got them (with a few exceptions) because that's what the strategy guide told me to do.

Then again, that guide also said Come Back! was not a timed move, so...

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Buzkashi posted:

"Your luck has gone from bad to worse / you face an orc who speaks in verse"

Thanks, Ulug the Poet.

My bodyguard killed a bard I wanted to recruit. It was my fault, but still I had to kill the bodyguard.

To save face.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Neito posted:

In SMRPG I pretty much only used Bowser and Peach once I got them (with a few exceptions) because that's what the strategy guide told me to do.

Then again, that guide also said Come Back! was not a timed move, so...

It’s an easy game. You can go to the very last fight using pretty much anyone but Mallow, and even Mallow if you use him right.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I never played the first Mordor game and I've heard a lot of good things about the new one so I bought the old one last night and played it a little. It's pretty fun so far.

Do captains just start showing up the lower life you have? At one point I was in a fight with 3-4 regular dudes and one by one captains kept showing up, at one point there were 5-6 of them. I held on for a little while but eventually got my rear end kicked and all the captains leveled up.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

VanSandman posted:

It’s an easy game. You can go to the very last fight using pretty much anyone but Mallow, and even Mallow if you use him right.

I used Mallow in all my playthroughs. Shocker hits like a truck if you get its Timed Hit in.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Shadow of War: was just puddling around, brutalizing orcs in my way so the rest run off so I can get to my objective in peace, when suddenly this massive fucker steps out of a tent and bellows "THAT IS NICE PAIN YOU GIVE OUT. I WANT IT. I NEED IT."

Truns out I had hit a little point in the progression between big guys being spawnable and the game teaching you how to face them, so my usual tricksmightce worked against a normal one, but as a captain his other advantages made it easy for him to continually bash my brains in while wailing how disappointed he was about how little pain I gave him.

Fun game.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Leal posted:

...Well gently caress I was going to hold off for a sale cause the microtransactions really rubbed me the wrong way but.... I mean...

Dude

A rhyming orc

If it helps, I am pretty bad at whaling in games with microtransactions, and I haven't once had the inclination to buy one, even the ones with the in game currency you can get. You can farm up weapons and orcs with no issues. Find a captain you like, dominate him, make him overlord. I got a few orcs due to getting the version with the DLC stuff, and they're just idling in my menu. Hell I haven't even used the XP boost I got, because it really doesn't feel necessary. The microtransactions are VERY overblown.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I think it's about them being in game being needlessly exploitative.

Nobody in their right mind buys this stuff

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Kruller posted:

If it helps, I am pretty bad at whaling in games with microtransactions, and I haven't once had the inclination to buy one, even the ones with the in game currency you can get. You can farm up weapons and orcs with no issues. Find a captain you like, dominate him, make him overlord. I got a few orcs due to getting the version with the DLC stuff, and they're just idling in my menu. Hell I haven't even used the XP boost I got, because it really doesn't feel necessary. The microtransactions are VERY overblown.

The fact the the alternative to buying poo poo is grinding is exactly what people are complaining about.

Vic posted:

I think it's about them being in game being needlessly exploitative.

Nobody in their right mind buys this stuff

People aren't rational actors and this kind of Skinner box crap is a huge red flag that on some level the game is prioritizing raking in a bunch of extra money off of a few people whose brain chemicals make them susceptible to this particular strain of gambling rather than making a game that is good on it's own. Even if you don't care about the ethics of it, the bottom line is that the final product is worse for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

The fact the the alternative to buying poo poo is grinding is exactly what people are complaining about.

The alternative is playing the game and doing the things the game already was encouraging and are baked into the mechanics. It's grinding in the same way that any game that features a mechanical reward cycle is grinding, and in those terms it is not a particularly punishing or even exploitative grind. It takes less effort to build up orcs than it does to complete every power-up challenge in DOOM or whatever.

The microtransactions are silly but at this point it's pretty clear what happened is that people got angry over something that was misreported and rather than admit jumping the gun they need to find increasing ways to justify their initial response. There is a reason it's SoW and not the legion of other games that feature grinding or optional cheat DLC that people are freaking out over.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Regarding Super Mario RPG: I'm pretty sure you shouldn't waste your time with regular mushrooms and instead load up on the ones that let you bring someone back to life after they've died, since that'll revive them at full health.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Guy Mann posted:

I've haven't had to grind yet. I just do all the quests and I'm at roughly the levels I need to be and if you keep recruiting Captains of levels similar to your own then they're going to be roughly the levels they need to be too. Orcs are even easier, because you can (and should) equip the gems that give recruits an instant level boost when you get them.

That's not to say the microtransactions aren't skeevy and stupid and just there to scam money out of people. But they aren't the least bit necessary.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Who What Now posted:

I've haven't had to grind yet. I just do all the quests and I'm at roughly the levels I need to be and if you keep recruiting Captains of levels similar to your own then they're going to be roughly the levels they need to be too. Orcs are even easier, because you can (and should) equip the gems that give recruits an instant level boost when you get them.

That's not to say the microtransactions aren't skeevy and stupid and just there to scam money out of people. But they aren't the least bit necessary.

The grinding stuff is supposed to get really bad once you "finish" the story and start the endgame mode where there aren't any side missions and its just orcs attacking your strongholds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The grinding stuff is supposed to get really bad once you "finish" the story and start the endgame mode where there aren't any side missions and its just orcs attacking your strongholds.

Apparently that was misreported.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Oxxidation posted:

I watched two different streamers play the game and it definitely felt very repetitive and grindey once you got to the "shadow war" section. It seems the game is like this:
1. prologue/introduction
2. conquer four/five different areas by playing through story missions, side quests, killing captains and recruiting orcs. Eventually you'll launch an assault on the fort of each area and take it over.
3. two plot heavy missions and two boss fights
4. shadow wars: defend each of the areas repeatedly from invading armies
5. ???

I did not see what happens when the game decides you are done defending in act four, but I assume there is some sort of definitive ending/epilogue. You can still do story missions and side quests in act four, but because of plot reasons it feels a bit awkward.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Oct 17, 2017

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
People mad about video games they don't even play. There's a shocker.

There has been zero grinding.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I see. That's fair, but also not really different than any other post-game content in 90% of games and why I generally don't bother with them.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oxxidation posted:

I'm in the post-game part and it's certainly a repetitive, content-padding sort of thing to do from a game design perspective. Still, playing it on the hardest difficulty I've never felt the need to use the loot box system at all, it really is just there for people who feel the need to waste their money. Even if you do get a bunch of sweet legendary orcs, the only thing you'll ever see regarding the online aspect of the game is a list telling you whether or not someone who tried to attack one of your forts was successful. You'll never get to actually watch them struggling against your warlords or anything like that unless you're watching them on a stream.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

This is not actually the case though. It's content that is grindy in that it's post-game content built around building up your orcs but not at all in a way that encourages lootboxing. If anything it's the Dead Space 3 problem of "why is this even in the game, it doesn't actually justify spending money." I'm not saying it's particularly super-duper fun or anything but it's the same problem you get with most open world/etc sort of games where eventually you hit content that is busywork.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Buying $100 of lootboxes will speed up getting the "final" ending by ~10/15 hours. The non-lootbox method of getting the ending is tanking your multiplayer ranking, getting silvers on those missions, then repeating for a dozen hours.

It's dumb.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Eh, on a basic level gently caress them for being greedy fucks. Double gently caress them for doing in it in a way that absolutely targets people with addictive personalities who can get hooked on their skinner box bullshit. I'm not one of those people, but that doesnt make it okay. Triple gently caress them for adding that odious bullshit into the sequel of a game that didnt have any of it. I liked Shadow of Mordor and was considering preordering Shadow of War, but honestly, there are games I'm enjoying a lot that dont have that skeevy exploitative bullshit, that take my money up front and deliver a full, balanced game and that dont think that their game is worth spending money to skip actually playing. So I'll play those and then at some point down the road I'll maybe pick up shadow of war if I run out of other games to play. Preowned so they admittedly wont actually see any of my money, but thats my way of adding choice to the developers experience.

I'm actually fine with free to play bullshit, provided the game is free to play.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

synthetik posted:

Buying $100 of lootboxes will speed up getting the "final" ending by ~10/15 hours. The non-lootbox method of getting the ending is tanking your multiplayer ranking, getting silvers on those missions, then repeating for a dozen hours.

It's dumb.

Not sure what you're talking about with the online ranking unless there's an aspect to it that I'm not getting. The final, grindy section of the game is defending your forts over and over against assaults by waves of AI opponents by using the armies you've built up over the course of the game. Your forts will have a defense rating which will show up online if someone tries to invade it, but that's a separate thing which has no real relevance to the single player campaign.

If you're talking about saving time because it allows you to pay for your army instead of having to go out and brand them all yourself, that's basically paying to skip the entire reason to play the game in the first place. I don't like the loot box system because it's potentially exploitative of people with gambling-addict personalities, but you can absolutely play through the game without ever having to acknowledge it at all. It would be like if Rockstar was selling loot boxes with assault rifles or whatever in GTA V. You could spend money on them if you really wanted, or go just about anywhere in the game world and get one yourself with no effort.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

The microtransactions are silly but at this point it's pretty clear what happened is that people got angry over something that was misreported and rather than admit jumping the gun they need to find increasing ways to justify their initial response. There is a reason it's SoW and not the legion of other games that feature grinding or optional cheat DLC that people are freaking out over.

You're projecting hard enough for people to navigate ships to. Shadow of War is getting a noticable amount of attention because it's single player and loot boxes are for things that actually effect the gameplay, people always protest at these elements in full-priced AAA games but it least had the decency to mostly stick to cosmetics in multiplayer titles where the audience is already conditioned to spend hours a day grinding for unlocks.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

I never played the first Mordor game and I've heard a lot of good things about the new one so I bought the old one last night and played it a little. It's pretty fun so far.

Do captains just start showing up the lower life you have? At one point I was in a fight with 3-4 regular dudes and one by one captains kept showing up, at one point there were 5-6 of them. I held on for a little while but eventually got my rear end kicked and all the captains leveled up.

It depends on the captain but yeah one of the personality traits they can have is called "ambusher" or something like that which causes them to jump you when you're low on health.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I mean, I thought Shadow of Mordor could've used a few more hours of end game progression, so what I'm hearing isn't exactly making me hate the idea of grabbing it.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Imagine Mario Odyssey, but you can't just capture any nearby enemy. Instead you earn consumable tokens that let you transform into an enemy, and you can open loot boxes to instantly get a random assortment of tokens.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The microtransactions in Shadow of War are definitely bad but they don't ruin the game. It was also probably something forced by the publisher and the developer shouldn't be blamed.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

RatHat posted:

The microtransactions in Shadow of War are definitely bad but they don't ruin the game. It was also probably something forced by the publisher and the developer shouldn't be blamed.

It's really clear that the AAA games industry is becoming unsustainable for games that have finite endings, they just don't sell well enough without something added to them for additional revenue. You had season passes, you had cosmetic DLC, now you also have microtransactions. The other option is to focus on games without finite endings, like sandboxes or multiplayer-focused games (or just add them to your single player game like GTA did).

It's hosed, but it's going to be this way until it collapses and forces people to develop in a different way.

(please go buy and play Prey)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

flatluigi posted:

:transtar-flag-with-crying-mimic:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RatHat posted:

People are gonna keep on decrying it, loudly, because they see it as the only way to get the message across to the publisher.

flatluigi posted:

It's really clear that the AAA games industry is becoming unsustainable for games that have finite endings, they just don't sell well enough without something added to them for additional revenue. You had season passes, you had cosmetic DLC, now you also have microtransactions. The other option is to focus on games without finite endings, like sandboxes or multiplayer-focused games (or just add them to your single player game like GTA did).

It's hosed, but it's going to be this way until it collapses and forces people to develop in a different way.

UbiSoft actually had a pretty good idea with it's UbiArts program (let their staff go off to make their own smaller games and publish them), they just need to actually use it more.

And yes, please go buy Prey.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ImpAtom posted:

People were upset from the second they started pushing the microtransaction poo poo. The articles exaggerating that the endgame requires loot boxes didn't help, but were never the focal point of the outrage. The reason people are focusing on SoW is for a number of reasons - it's a big, mass appeal release, a follow-up to a popular game, and it had a huge marketing push making sure you were aware that it had ~~LOOT BOXES~~ at every step. In short, WB's marketing backfired big time because it turned the narrative about the game into "man, gently caress these scumbags" and completely overshadowed its legitimately great qualities in the process. Oh, and even outside of that controversy they kept finding ways to piss people off, like with the charity thing.

I'm glad the MTX didn't hurt the final product, and the same can't be said for NBA 2k18 or Forza, but that doesn't absolve the whole affair of being a big greasy smear on the game.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Oct 18, 2017

Jesus H. Christ
Aug 3, 2004

$ $ $Everybody's got a price$ $ $
Super vague Little Thing since I can’t even remember what game did it, but some horror game played high frequency tones that would scare your dog or cat while you played. Anyone know what I’m talking about? I think it was an old game that, aside from the cool trick with the music, wasn’t very good.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
So far I'm close to the end of Get Even and I'm really impressed with how it's presenting the wrapup - there have been a few levels that had far too many enemies considering it's not really a shooter, which sucks, but I'm past the main levels and have reached the ending sequence, in which Red pulls Black from the simulation because he can't or won't remember what really happened, and is therefore useless, and starts combing through his mind manually, revisiting the most corrupted/disjointed memories and trying to fix them himself to figure out what Black was hiding. He has totally unique mechanics too, like he can possess enemies and stuff because he owns the Pandora system so has admin privileges. It's overall pretty cool so far and it's had some good characterisation for Red too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can spend in game currency on Sow loot boxes.

They're not a problem.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I personally think the post-game repetition isn't necessarily a problem either if you space it out. Instead of playing it for multiple hours a day, you play it for less than an hour. That is what I usually do when it comes to sandbox games with side-quests and collectibles.

It ain't stellar game design, but it's a good way to keep yourself entertained if there isn't another game yet that you really want to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
If my friends aren't available to play dota 2 I will babysit my beautiful orc children for an hour or so