Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Motherfucker! My start menu broke on the Fall update. The gently caress is this still happening?!

What part?

A friend of mine told me his start menu search was broken last time he reinstalled the regular creator's update; the solution? Re-enable the "let apps work in the background" setting because it turns out that affects the search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dissss posted:

My Surface Pro 3 has never worked very well TBH but updates have certainly made it worse in the past (especially the firmware ones which were supposed to fix battery life)

Did you have any wifi problems beforehand? Microsoft cheaped out and used some garbage wifi chip so I’ve never been happy with mine (compared to the Intel setups in my other systems)

Nope, never had problems before. It started dropping my wifi immediately after the update. The weird thing is that it drops my private wifi but stays fine on my guest wifi on the same router. There must be something more complex going on, like maybe a corrupted profile for my network or something.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Motherfucker! My start menu broke on the Fall update. The gently caress is this still happening?!

this may sound weird, but try defragging the C drive and rebooting. somehow that worked for me. Or it was just an odd coincidence. Coincidence is more likely but hey it is worth a shot?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, this happens on exactly one of my computers and not my primary laptop or desktop. I don't understand what the issue is.

Twibbit posted:

this may sound weird, but try defragging the C drive and rebooting. somehow that worked for me. Or it was just an odd coincidence. Coincidence is more likely but hey it is worth a shot?

All my computers have an SSD boot device. I'm not going to run a defrag on it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Flagrama posted:

All my computers have an SSD boot device. I'm not going to run a defrag on it.

Good because it's called Optimize now and Windows 10 knows how to deal with an SSD.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Don't think that's my issue then? This has been happening for months.

I'll go ahead and run it again, but I'm not expecting any results.

Unless it's supposed to run on System Reserved, or this other volume in the list with a UUID, in which case it just doesn't run on those even if I try to make it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Three reboots and it works again. v:confused:v

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol that we're back at the point where people are defragging or "optimizing" their drives in the small chance it will help Windows not be a pile of dogshit. hint: it won't help now, just like it didn't in win95

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last Chance posted:

lol that we're back at the point where people are defragging or "optimizing" their drives in the small chance it will help Windows not be a pile of dogshit. hint: it won't help now, just like it didn't in win95

Looks, it makes me feel better okay?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Also, this is the reason your wifi blew up on the Oct 10th patch:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/oct/16/wpa2-wifi-security-vulnerable-hacking-us-government-warns

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16481818/wi-fi-attack-response-security-patches

Microsoft patched wifi drivers on the 10th and disclosed it today.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
From what I can tell, the flaw can be fixed on either client or host side, and updating one shouldn’t cause issues with the other. Also, they’ve already been breaking spec, which prevented one of the bugs from being exploited, and that hasn’t caused any problems.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Double Punctuation posted:

From what I can tell, the flaw can be fixed on either client or host side, and updating one shouldn’t cause issues with the other. Also, they’ve already been breaking spec, which prevented one of the bugs from being exploited, and that hasn’t caused any problems.

That latter breaking of the spec has been the status quo ever since WPA support and WiFi support in the OS in general came in with Windows XP. As a result anybody that wanted to support Windows just had to deal with that and support it. New changes to fix the other parts could well break existing setups.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I shoved win10 on a new drive that I put in a drawer a year ago and continued using win7. If I decide to go back and use it at some point am I gonna have to install all these major updates individually or do they have one big roll-up package?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Glass of Milk posted:

I shoved win10 on a new drive that I put in a drawer a year ago and continued using win7. If I decide to go back and use it at some point am I gonna have to install all these major updates individually or do they have one big roll-up package?

You'll get whatever current major update is current, so fall update for now without any other stuff. After that it will install updates for that major update. lol!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

you'll probably want to clean install the latest or just upgrade from your 7 to the most recent at that point

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Glass of Milk posted:

If it activated, then any hard drive with a Windows 10 environment of the same edition will be activated on that hardware hash (usually motherboard is enough?).

Just upgrade 7 or start fresh.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone have experience with resetting windows 10? For some reason, emby server survived the reset and started up automatically. Is that normal?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

lostleaf posted:

Does anyone have experience with resetting windows 10? For some reason, emby server survived the reset and started up automatically. Is that normal?

I have no idea what that is and if it's a service or a driver even reset might not kill it.

This is why I am a proponent of proper install images.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

no, this wasn't it. i removed the update, deleted the wifi driver, and i'm still constantly dropping my connection. it's only to [networkname] though and my [networkname]_guest served by the same router works fine, as does any other network.

i'm guessing there's some sort of hidden profile for wifi networks win10 keeps that isn't removed by doing network reset or killing drivers and this got corrupted, so I'm going to try changing the SSID on my router tomorrow and see if that fixes it. else I'm faced with the unenviable task of factory resetting a surface pro 3.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

cis autodrag posted:

no, this wasn't it. i removed the update, deleted the wifi driver, and i'm still constantly dropping my connection. it's only to [networkname] though and my [networkname]_guest served by the same router works fine, as does any other network.

i'm guessing there's some sort of hidden profile for wifi networks win10 keeps that isn't removed by doing network reset or killing drivers and this got corrupted, so I'm going to try changing the SSID on my router tomorrow and see if that fixes it. else I'm faced with the unenviable task of factory resetting a surface pro 3.

For network profiles, check the registry around here if you haven't:

code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

lostleaf posted:

Looks like emby server installs itself in AppData. That folder should have been moved to C:\Windows.old when doing the reset, unless the reset process was changed since the last time I used it.

e. No, it's not normal.

e2. Installed emby on a VM and did a reset, got the same result you did. Something is sticking around and running the application in C:\Windows.old, but I'm not sure what.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 17, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

astral posted:

For network profiles, check the registry around here if you haven't:

code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

Tried wiling this as part of my wifi unfucking routine but no joy.

Maybe a wipe won't be so bad. It would fix the problem if my %user%folder deadnaming me every day so we you can't rename profile folders even though you can rename accounts.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
What does upgrading with MCT even mean? It sounds like it's reinstalling my Windows 10 rather than just updating it judging by the weird language.

I just want the Fall update, man. :smith:

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That's exactly what MCT is, a reinstall of the OS, you use that if you want to do a clean install.

If you just want to update to the latest, you have two options, at 10AM PST, hit the "Check for updates" button in your settings window, and if it picks the update up, you're good to go. If not because MS likes to do staged roll outs, you'll have to download the update tool and update through that.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/get-windows-10-fall-creators-update/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 17, 2017

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

What does upgrading with MCT even mean? It sounds like it's reinstalling my Windows 10 rather than just updating it judging by the weird language.

The major updates are delivered pretty much exactly like a full OS upgrade. So that's what it would be doing regardless, just in a slightly less scary-sounding way, with regular Windows Update.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

ufarn posted:

Plug in your flash drive or mount your CD while windows is running and double-click setup.exe to do the upgrade.

Boot from it if you want to do a clean install.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

1709 is up. The x64 ISO is borderline for DVD5, if you're into that sort of thing.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

nielsm posted:

Yes.

Have you considered first trying the Reset function in Settings? (Settings > Update & security > Recovery)

I want to thank you again. I used the Reset function to do as clean of a reset as I could. Went pretty smoothly.

Only now I need to refind all these settings I've turned on or off over the past 2 years.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just in case anyone else has this problem. I have cheaply calibrated monitors with a low end colorimeter, nothing special, but after the fall update everything was pink. I turned night light on and off and it seemed to fix it, it reported being off from the start in the settings menu, but who knows, something might have gotten confused with the update.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The worlds most advanced operating system looking out for your best interests yet again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Update works fine on my Surface so far, but on my desktop the Edge UI is really chugging. Webpages run just fine, but opening new tabs and windows, clicking in the address bar, etc. all have a delay of about half a second. Also, isn't there meant to be shape writing for the keyboard now?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

For some reason, installing 1709 through Windows Update did nothing. It just updated for 30 minutes, then put a message in my update history saying I needed to restart with no option to actually restart. Restarting, of course, did nothing, and the message was still there. The Update Tool also took 30 minutes before restarting, but it actually did something this time.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

:siren: Big Thing! :siren:

After a restart, 1709 now logs in users who were logged in when the restart started and locks the screen! No more waiting at a spinning thing for five seconds after logging in, then having all your startup programs launch and slow things down.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Double Punctuation posted:

:siren: Big Thing! :siren:

After a restart, 1709 now logs in users who were logged in when the restart started and locks the screen! No more waiting at a spinning thing for five seconds after logging in, then having all your startup programs launch and slow things down.

Uhh... so you mean it still does those things but hides them behind a lock screen? I guess that's good for most but I already set up Win 10 so it reboots straight to Desktop.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So I posted this in the SSD thread, but maybe its more Windows 10 related...

Okay so the story goes, I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Updat this afternoon, and now I have these two new entries in the "Optimize Drives" window, any idea what these are? Recovery and that weird \\?\Volume.... are the new ones, any ideas? You guys get the same thing?

Nothing shows in the Disk Management window either...

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Im_Special posted:

Okay so the story goes, I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Updat this afternoon, and now I have these two new entries in the "Optimize Drives" window, any idea what these are? Recovery and that weird \\?\Volume.... are the new ones, any ideas? You guys get the same thing?

You have 5 partitions and 5 entries in that list.

It's not a coincidence.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Im_Special posted:

We can eliminate C:, D:, and E:, and Recovery is presumably the Recovery Partition, so at a guess it's the EFI System Partition.

It's fine, it won't change more often than once every upgrade cycle at any rate; don't fiddle with it.

If you're wondering why you can't optimize it, it's tiny and also FAT32 because that's the only thing an EFI firmware is guaranteed to be able to boot from. I don't remember if it's either or both of those that makes the defragmenter pack it in, though.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Updated to FCU today, the only minor hiccup I experienced is that I had VLANs configured on my Intel NIC which made it appear as if it were multiple network interfaces. That vanished, leaving my machine offline initially as the base device wasn't configured to actually be used.

I'm not actually using the VLAN setup right now so I just re-enabled IP communication on the base interface and it was all good, but still a minor annoyance.

I'm also seeing the Recovery and EFI partitions showing up in Optimize, I'd say that's probably expected behavior.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Alright thanks you guys, I'll worry less since it seems to be normal, they're just new and happened from the Update today, so I was just wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Actuarial Fables posted:

Looks like emby server installs itself in AppData. That folder should have been moved to C:\Windows.old when doing the reset, unless the reset process was changed since the last time I used it.

e. No, it's not normal.

e2. Installed emby on a VM and did a reset, got the same result you did. Something is sticking around and running the application in C:\Windows.old, but I'm not sure what.

Cool. Thanks for verifying. Time to do a fresh install.