Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
For fans of comedic horror, the third John Dies At The End book is out now (titled What The Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of Cosmic Horror). Hopefully it arrives tomorrow as expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks for this. I wasn't even aware a third was coming out.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
I'll say this: the trailer for the movie at least looks suitably weird.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Proteus Jones posted:

Thanks for this. I wasn't even aware a third was coming out.

Same! I didn't like "Full of Spiders" as much as "Dies" but I'll be picking it up anyway.

Sorry for bringing this up again, but my "weird tales" book is free over this weekend if anyone fancies it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N9XMZWX

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
Having read the annihilation trilogy and then roadside picnic, what else is there out there in a similar vein?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I finished John Darnielle's Universal Harvester today. It's sort of mix of family history, weird tale, and love letter to terrifying Iowa cornfield isolation. If you drew a line from Laid Barron to Brian Evenson, and then continued the line out a ways, I think you'd hit this sort of novel. Well worth the kindle price.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The BotM is really good, y'all. Faulkner meets Lovecraft and they'd both like you to discuss it in that thread.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

Having read the annihilation trilogy and then roadside picnic, what else is there out there in a similar vein?

There's The Silent Land by Graham Joyce.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

a foolish pianist posted:

I finished John Darnielle's Universal Harvester today. It's sort of mix of family history, weird tale, and love letter to terrifying Iowa cornfield isolation. If you drew a line from Laid Barron to Brian Evenson, and then continued the line out a ways, I think you'd hit this sort of novel. Well worth the kindle price.

Seconded. He's a really good writer.

I went to Worldcon 2017, would anyone be interested in hearing poo poo about Ellen Datlow and Jeff VanDerMeer or is it too far outside the scope of the thread?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ravenkult posted:

I went to Worldcon 2017, would anyone be interested in hearing poo poo about Ellen Datlow and Jeff VanDerMeer or is it too far outside the scope of the thread?

I'm interested, they're both great in my book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
is it gossip? i definitely want to hear gossip

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

ravenkult posted:

Please, yes

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

Thank you, sounds like a good one.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fez_machine posted:

I'm some way through this and uh unless there is some huge interesting revelation poo poo later should I even keep reading? Is it really just oops we died or we're near death or some other dumb bullshit because thats stupid

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm some way through this and uh unless there is some huge interesting revelation poo poo later should I even keep reading? Is it really just oops we died or we're near death or some other dumb bullshit because thats stupid

no it's exactly what it seems like and I do not understand why that guy recommended it, because it is nothing like roadside picnic or the southern reach trilogy

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

chernobyl kinsman posted:

no it's exactly what it seems like and I do not understand why that guy recommended it, because it is nothing like roadside picnic or the southern reach trilogy

I don't know exploring a weird place you don't understand is like the best parts of roadside picnic and southern reach, but I couldn't think of anything else that fits.

But yeah, there's a bit more to it as the main characters being dead ain't even a spoiler. It's like considering the day repeating forever a spoiler for Groundhog Day, it's the loving premise! The interest is in seeing how the characters react.

This is the weird fiction thread, if you aren't here primarily for tone and mood, I don't even loving know.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 16, 2017

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

fez_machine posted:

I don't know exploring a weird place you don't understand is like the best parts of roadside picnic and southern reach, but I couldn't think of anything else that fits.

But yeah, there's a bit more to it as the main characters being dead ain't even a spoiler. It's like considering the day repeating forever a spoiler for Groundhog Day, it's the loving premise! The interest is in seeing how the characters react.

This is the weird fiction thread, if you aren't here primarily for tone and mood, I don't even loving know.

I picked up the book but have not yet opened it up yet. The exploration of the strange and mysterious place is exactly what I was looking for.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I've got a 9 hour flight to london and a 9 hour flight back. I've read several Lovecraft Anthologies, a few books of the Dresden series and a the Laundry files....what are some mainstays of the genre that I can read on my flight?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Thomas Ligotti.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Thomas Ligotti.

what is the novel that best represents his work

or your favorite

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waroduce posted:

or your favorite

He’s mainly (though not exclusively) a short story writer, so Teatro Grottesco is your best bet for a sampler of his style.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Waroduce posted:

or your favorite

It's not as good as Teatro Grottesco, but I very much liked his un-filmed X-files episode script.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Waroduce posted:

or your favorite

Unfortunately all of the short story collections sort of merged together, but Penguin sells a combination of Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe. Teatro Grotessco is fun. If you liked True Detectives Season 1, The Conspiracy Against The Human Race is the essay that the writers plagiarized from.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Waroduce posted:

I've got a 9 hour flight to london and a 9 hour flight back. I've read several Lovecraft Anthologies, a few books of the Dresden series and a the Laundry files....what are some mainstays of the genre that I can read on my flight?

Ligotti's good, and Teatro Grottesco is a solid place to start. A few other options:

Laird Barron's The Imago Sequence
Nathan Ballingrud's North American Lake Monsters
anything by Brian Evenson
Scott Nicolay's Ana Kai Tangata
Richard Paul Russo's Ship of Fools
Jeffrey Thomas's Unholy Dimensions
Mary Sangiovanni's Thrall
Jeff Vandermeer's Southern Reach trilogy

I'm pretty sure all of those are readily available on Kindle.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I read a bunch of horror in the hospital when my wife was giving birth and in the days afterward while we were still there, which is probably a similar experience to a long plane flight except also there's a monstrous, needy critter. Experimental Film by Gemma Files was a fun read, though I didn't think it was particularly well written. I read a lot of Algernon Blackwood at the time too and his very slow, delibrate and detailed storytelling was great for that situation. "The Willows," "The Wendigo," "The Man Whom the Trees Loved," and the John Silence stories, esp. "A Psychical Invasion" and "The Camp of the Dog" were very nice reads.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I read a bunch of horror in the hospital when my wife was giving birth and in the days afterward while we were still there, which is probably a similar experience to a long plane flight except also there's a monstrous, needy critter. Experimental Film by Gemma Files was a fun read, though I didn't think it was particularly well written. I read a lot of Algernon Blackwood at the time too and his very slow, delibrate and detailed storytelling was great for that situation. "The Willows," "The Wendigo," "The Man Whom the Trees Loved," and the John Silence stories, esp. "A Psychical Invasion" and "The Camp of the Dog" were very nice reads.

That's disappointing to hear that Experimental Film wasn't particularly well written. I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

I know at some point there was discussion of "horror books with creepy videos" or some such where it came up, maybe I'll check out another one of the books recommended there.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

That's disappointing to hear that Experimental Film wasn't particularly well written. I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

I know at some point there was discussion of "horror books with creepy videos" or some such where it came up, maybe I'll check out another one of the books recommended there.

I wouldn't say that it's POORLY written; the writing is competent and it's an engaging read. It's just not something where you'll really be savoring it on the individual sentence level, if that matters to you.

I did just get a copy of Ancient Images by Ramsey Campbell from the Ithaca Friends of the Library booksale the other day; at least from the description on the back it seems to be another haunted movie kinda book.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I'm usually buying horror on my nook for either $.99 for megapacks of public domain stuff or around $3.99 for novels. Other good stuff I've enjoyed on there is The Red Tree by Caitlin Kiernan and The Cipher by Kathe Koja. ALso The House on the Borderland by William Hope Hodgson absolutely loving destroys and should be available for a buck since it's so old. High recommend for that for plane/hospital reading.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I wouldn't say that it's POORLY written; the writing is competent and it's an engaging read. It's just not something where you'll really be savoring it on the individual sentence level, if that matters to you.

I did just get a copy of Ancient Images by Ramsey Campbell from the Ithaca Friends of the Library booksale the other day; at least from the description on the back it seems to be another haunted movie kinda book.

Ahh that's less concerning to me then. I've read enough meh horror to not be heartbroken when a book doesn't have beautiful and immaculate prose. I'd also say that's sort of par for course with Gemma Files's writing in general; competent and engaging but not a huge focus on prose style.

Ancient Images was one of the ones mentioned, though apparently Campbell had a second book about a haunted movie or something called Grin in the Dark. I've never actually read a novel by Campbell so maybe one of those will be on my shortlist too.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Waroduce posted:

or your favorite

It doesn't best represent his work but while we're on Ligotti I thought I'd plug My Work is Not Yet Done. It's a horror flavoured satire of corporate life and is entertaining and funny. Come to think of it I like Ligotti's work in this vein more than his pure horror; The Town Manager is loving fantastic too (satire about government).

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
There's nothing I'd rather read when experiencing the soul-crushing horror of air travel than novels about soul-crushing horror!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

Ahh that's less concerning to me then. I've read enough meh horror to not be heartbroken when a book doesn't have beautiful and immaculate prose. I'd also say that's sort of par for course with Gemma Files's writing in general; competent and engaging but not a huge focus on prose style.

Ancient Images was one of the ones mentioned, though apparently Campbell had a second book about a haunted movie or something called Grin in the Dark. I've never actually read a novel by Campbell so maybe one of those will be on my shortlist too.

I like Grin in the Dark, it's a slow burn like most of Campbell's modern stuff, but it really did my head in.

Campbell really uses his words to propel you into an atmosphere of misunderstanding, aggression and frustration, it's not a pleasant book to read, and I found myself becoming anxious and semi-paranoid myself.

It's more about being online than movies, though, although the search for the film sets the action up.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

So since we're nearing the spookiest of holidays (ymmv), and this has kind of become the de-facto horror books thread, I figured we should get some good horror talk goin'. What is the last book that genuinely freaked/creeped you out? I read a lot of horror but to be honest, it's rare that a book actually elicits a shiver or raise heart rate for me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I know people think it's "wanky" because of the formatting, but House of Leaves gave me nightmares when I first read it. I can't even attribute it to being a kid because I was in my twenties. I loving love spatial horror though so it got me good.

Repeating myself from earlier in the thread too, but "Worlds of Hurt" haunted me from the brief and vague description of what happens to our souls when we die.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Worlds of Hurt haunts me because it's loving impossible to get it now that Amazon stopped selling the ebook.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Paul Tremblay's "A Head Full of Ghosts" had some scenes that freaked me out. I generally don't get scared by horror fiction, even though I love it. The only other novels I can remember scaring me are "Pet Sematary" and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". Oh and "Ordinary Horror" by David Searcy had at least one scene I remember scaring me a bit.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Drunken Baker posted:

I know people think it's "wanky" because of the formatting, but House of Leaves gave me nightmares when I first read it. I can't even attribute it to being a kid because I was in my twenties. I loving love spatial horror though so it got me good.

House of Leaves really got me, too. I was in college, and it kept me up late at night.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Daveski posted:

Paul Tremblay's "A Head Full of Ghosts" had some scenes that freaked me out. I generally don't get scared by horror fiction, even though I love it. The only other novels I can remember scaring me are "Pet Sematary" and "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". Oh and "Ordinary Horror" by David Searcy had at least one scene I remember scaring me a bit.

A Head Full of Ghosts was definitely one that elicited a reaction. Disappearance at Devil's Rock also had a couple of moments that got to me, despite it not really being an out-and-out horror novel.

Also Penpal and The Cipher, but for different reasons.

Other books that have freaked me out in some way, that I haven't read recently (meaning some were creepy when I was a wee child of a teenager):
The Haunting of Hill House
Hell House
House of Small Shadows (I sense a theme here...)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
General horror I’ll recommend Tim Curran’s Dead Sea, which uses the Bermuda Triangle as a catch all setting to have ghosts, cosmic horrors, sea monsters, etc. His book Grimweave is about soldiers in Vietnam hunting a giant spider monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Some free horror online for you to read: https://litreactor.com/columns/the-20-best-horror-stories-available-online-for-free

I've just started getting into horror of late. In another century I read Lovecraft but don't remember much of it so I should probably go back and reread them.

Books I have recently read include The Fisherman, 20 Days of Turin, and We Will All Go Down Together. Really liked the first and last, and the middle was decent enough. None terribly scary though. More weird world building exercises.