Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Dallan Invictus posted:

It'll probably take guillotines. As long as Snyder is first?

Ain't a jury in the world, pa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Another Ohio team getting the Browns treatment. Sure, why not.

So it sounds like Garber could, in theory, force Precourt to accept the offer to the keep-in-Columbus crowd. Which would be excellent. Then we can ripple that through the league, except DC and New England of course because misery quotas must be maintained

Garber more or less gave the ok in the joint statement PSV released, this seems like a done deal.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

:rolleyes: Yes, this literally never happens outside the US, and it certainly never happens in P/R leagues, especially not as an attempt to avoid relegation.

This problem, in its causes and its scope, is unquestionably unique to the US. The UK section of that article includes Arsenal moving from Woolwich to Highbury, ffs. What happens elsewhere in the world doesn't compare to the US at all. And what's infuriating is that YOU KNOW THIS, everyone knows this, you're just being a stubborn piece of poo poo because someone rightly criticized the backwater league you've got a giant boner for.

I don't give a gently caress about the rest of the dumb poo poo you posted. Your ignorance and refusal to acknowledge the cause of this problem is quite literally the reason this poo poo still happens.

wicka fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 17, 2017

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Precourt has already poisoned the well at this point, even *if* a new stadium deal were to happen, he's now persona non grata in this city. The only solution for the current team to stay here is to switch ownership.

edit: https://twitter.com/AEricksonCD/status/920291974531436544

He had no intention of keeping the team here.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/920286124563746817

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/920288838672637952

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If Precourt wants taxpayer money for a downtown stadium then good loving riddance. gently caress the poo poo rear end MLS structure and this poo poo rear end owner. He can go be a curiosity to the Austin hipsters for a year then wonder why nobody's coming to see mediocre-at-best soccer in a market that was never asking for it.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I hope Austin isn't stupid enough to pony up public money for a stadium for this but I'm not holding my breath

I'd go to a game just for fun but ugh (I wish we still had the Ice Bats, I missed out on that)

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I wonder if they'll promote Cincinnati FC as a way to compensate Ohio.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TwoStepBoog posted:

They're trying to get a taxpayer stadium on the Kentucky side of the river. MLS wants teams in their own stadiums.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

TwoStepBoog posted:

This is like putting a team in LA to compensate California for losing a team in San Diego.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

DJExile posted:

They're trying to get a taxpayer stadium on the Kentucky side of the river. MLS wants teams in their own stadiums.

Yet NYCFC is in their third stadium this season this weekend

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

fast cars loose anus posted:

I hope Austin isn't stupid enough to pony up public money for a stadium for this but I'm not holding my breath

I'd go to a game just for fun but ugh (I wish we still had the Ice Bats, I missed out on that)

Mayor Adler said no public funds.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

shoplifter posted:

Yet NYCFC is in their third stadium this season this weekend

And MLS's current golden boy Atlanta shares a turf field with an NFL team.

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

https://soundcloud.com/user-16481720/columbus-crew-conference-call-10172017/s-SRvjB

audio of press conference today

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

https://www.mls2atx.com at the bottom: “Copyright 2017 MLS2ATX | All Rights Reserved — Precourt Sports Ventures”

Done deal.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Eat the rich

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

all-Rush mixtape posted:

That's good then

Robot Danger
Mar 18, 2012
I'm crushed

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

all-Rush mixtape posted:

They could still be getting tax-exempt land or something, lots of ways to offer incentives without directly paying for it.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My ticket rep just told me my 2018 season tickets are non-refundable, and if I’m financing that I’ll have to pay the full amount even if I cancel lol

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

i think this is super lovely for columbus fans but i also think the team moving to austin is better for MLS and will likely be extremely successful.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Emron posted:

My ticket rep just told me my 2018 season tickets are non-refundable

Lol what, how is that legal in this case?

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Lol what, how is that legal in this case?

The 2018 season is still being played in Columbus, so that’s their justification

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Emron posted:

The 2018 season is still being played in Columbus, so that’s their justification

Sue them into hell and back, and get other STHs to follow suit

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

i think this is super lovely for columbus fans but i also think the team moving to austin is better for MLS and will likely be extremely successful.

every bit of history says otherwise

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Emron posted:

Oh, well that's really lovely of them but that makes it a lot better at least. I thought they were going to make you pay for games that weren't even happening.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Oh, well that's really lovely of them but that makes it a lot better at least. I thought they were going to make you pay for games that weren't even happening.

Yeah. It’s SUPER slimy though. The renewal deadline was last week. You’re locked in now. And the announcement was today.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Emron posted:

Yeah. It’s SUPER slimy though. The renewal deadline was last week. You’re locked in now. And the announcement was today.

Yeah, that's about as douchey as it gets. This has been planned for a long time, and the announcement after they collected money was clearly no coincidence.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Now you've got tickets to a protest party. I'm going to tune into matches on MLS Live just to see the signs.

Also I don't understand why Wicka has such a boner for this league he doesn't like or watch. We all know it's structured poorly and seems to be overly reliant on franchise fees but he and all of the other MLS haters can't tell you when the league will fail nor are they willing to talk about success stories like Atlanta without saying they're simply outliers. I am 100% confident if they were to put a date on their dire predictions we would all watch it pass with the league intact and attendance up in some places and down in others.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Cincinnati is home to maybe the worst stadium deal public sector screw job around so I hope to god they don't try to lure MLS with a shiny new facility.

Not a small part of FCC's success is playing in a old rear end stadium with actual personality in an young urban environment,

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

porkface posted:

Now you've got tickets to a protest party. I'm going to tune into matches on MLS Live just to see the signs.

Empty bleachers are both protest and proof of concept.

quote:

Also I don't understand why Wicka has such a boner for this league he doesn't like or watch. We all know it's structured poorly and seems to be overly reliant on franchise fees but he and all of the other MLS haters can't tell you when the league will fail nor are they willing to talk about success stories like Atlanta without saying they're simply outliers. I am 100% confident if they were to put a date on their dire predictions we would all watch it pass with the league intact and attendance up in some places and down in others.

In a better world, teams wouldn’t move. They’d get relegated. Wicka sees, like a lot of people see, that there could be a thriving ground for developing Americans, making a bit of money, AND having a watchable, competitive league. And what we’ve gotten since the Beckham experiment is money marks and grifters.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Emron posted:

Lol what a bunch of poo poo bags

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Pro/rel and professional sports being operated for some undefined public benefit what else is on the wish list

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Popero posted:

Pro/rel and professional sports being operated for some undefined public benefit what else is on the wish list

a soccer league that is not dogshit

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Well, NASL is folding so it seems we're doing ok on that front.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's OUR dogshit.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Every MLS supporter group should come out and say they will boycott the league if they allow this.

Emron posted:

My ticket rep just told me my 2018 season tickets are non-refundable, and if I’m financing that I’ll have to pay the full amount even if I cancel lol

Do a credit card dispute

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

porkface posted:

What predictions? It’s a mediocre league that will be this exact level forever unless it makes major structural changes. No one is predicting collapse. It’s just a bad, pointless league that does nothing for American soccer. And all these problems are avoidable! We know where it’s flawed and how it should be run, and we get told over and over again that it can’t work here for various mysterious reasons, even as MLS sits and does nothing of note, and all the better run leagues are orders of magnitude more popular among Americans.

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 17, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

Every MLS supporter group should come out and say they will boycott the league if they allow this.

Do a credit card dispute

Yes on both fronts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Well, NASL is folding so it seems we're doing ok on that front.

MLS is dogshit so what does that make the folding NASL?

• Locked thread