Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure they all became Stephen Universe dorks considering it has the exact same magical girl framework and every episode being solved by talking about their feelings only with rocks instead of tramp stamps.

If the memes are to be believed, nope, even Steven Universe fandom is on the wane.

No, the toxic Bronies absolutely are Rick & Morty fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy Mann posted:

I'm pretty sure they all became Stephen Universe dorks considering it has the exact same magical girl framework and every episode being solved by talking about their feelings only with rocks instead of tramp stamps.

I always assumed the MLP fans didn't take to SU because of all the adult woman in the latters fandom.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The MLP movie is also like 3 or 4 years too late and the worst of that fanbase has moved on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ninjago isn't a bad movie but it is kind of a lightweight with no staying power. Also the main conflict is kind of weak seeing as they spend a good chunk of the movie teamed up with the main villain.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Lego movie sounded terrible as just a vague concept early on but once the trailers hit and people saw that it was an amalgam of all of the old sets and a bunch of different IPs that would usually not be in a movie together, it piqued people's interests. And IIRC the trailers had some pretty decent laughs.

Lego Batman is self-explanatory.

The Ninjago movie had none of the spin-off appeal that Batman did and it's only a modern Lego set that has far less broad appeal or nostalgia value. And the trailers weren't funny. All the goodwill was gone and it had the feel of a Saturday morning cartoon tie-in movie you'd expect to be DTV only.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Would they be able to get Chris Pratt for a sequel? He blew up shortly after the original.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lego Batman could have been screwed up easily. Instead it was actually really good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ninjago was fine, it was a perfectly middling kids movie. Time will probably be kinder to it than most since it isn't full of soon dated pop culture references like a lot of kids cartoons. The humor was just a little flat and predictable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Casimir Radon posted:

Lego Batman could have been screwed up easily. Instead it was actually really good.

Maybe I just didn't pay attention to the marketing but it was a really pleasant surprise that it continued the first movie's huge crossover universe without playing it up. Everyone else is trying to hype up their crossovers and cinematic universes and Lego was all "oh yeah also Joker is gonna team up with Voldemort and Sauron and an army of British Robots (ask your nerd friends)"

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

FCKGW posted:

Would they be able to get Chris Pratt for a sequel? He blew up shortly after the original.

I'd think he'll be required to if it's in his contract.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The live-action Detective Pikachu movie starts filming in January

http://omegaunderground.com/2017/10/13/live-action-pokemon-movie-detective-pikachu-starts-filming-january-uk/

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

This sounds awful, unless Danny DeVito voices Pikachu. If that happens, I'm there opening night.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This sounds awful, unless Danny DeVito voices Pikachu. If that happens, I'm there opening night.

After The Lorax it's gonna take more than a DeVito voice stuntcast to get me to care about a movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ingmar terdman posted:

Seems like this could be the thread to ask: there used to be a supercut on youtube of Stupid Haunting Covers of Pop Songs Over Modern Movie Trailers. I can't find it, probably bc it got hit with dozen takedowns. Is there any chance someone knows/has this?

Not exactly what you're looking for, but there were a lot of gritty covers of classic songs used in teen horror movies in the late 90s/early 00s. Here's a perfect lovely example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1R4jbnd10I

That was played over the opening shot of 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guy Mann posted:

After The Lorax it's gonna take more than a DeVito voice stuntcast to get me to care about a movie.

Well based on what we learned audiences wanted from The Lorax, Detective Pikachu will travel through time and gently caress himself.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He better only know four moves or I'm getting a refund

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Devito would be ideal, but my second pick would be Matt Berry.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/status/920320502320771073

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hope someone got a lot of money for such a difficult and long title search.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Barudak posted:

Well based on what we learned audiences wanted from The Lorax, Detective Pikachu will travel through time and gently caress himself.

The actual story is weirder than that - spoilers for the game Detective Pikachu is the father of the main human character, who has had his mind transferred into his pet Pikachu by an evil Pokemon researcher

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
As a huge Star Wars fan that cannot be more excited for Episode 8 I couldn't be less excited about the Solo movie and actively wish it didn't exist.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The biggest relief I've felt recently is realizing that I don't have to be a Star Wars fan anymore. Or an anything fan. If a movie looks good to me, I'll see it. If a movie doesn't look good to me, I won't. If a sequel to a movie I liked isn't good, oh well! There will be a different new movie that I do like coming along soon enough.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a huge Star Wars fan that cannot be more excited for Episode 8 I couldn't be less excited about the Solo movie and actively wish it didn't exist.

I'd pay a lot of money to see Lord & Miller's original version. Everything I've seen since Howard took over looks boring and uninspired.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'd pay a lot of money to see Lord & Miller's original version. Everything I've seen since Howard took over looks boring and uninspired.

So like a Ron Howard movie, then?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't care about the new Star Wars movies at all. However, my mom is incredibly excited and has been for 40 years, and since I've seen every single Star Wars movie in the theaters with her on opening night, I'm on board. Forever...

I actually love our little tradition, but this is the first year that I've ever truly not been excited to see a new Star Wars

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/joelgord/status/920329127877595136

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I actually love our little tradition, but this is the first year that I've ever truly not been excited to see a new Star Wars

That'll be next year for me. Rian Johnson's installment has been the one I'm most excited about since he was announced.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It sucks because same, but since Lord and Miller got canned my interest in the franchise went waaaaaaaaaay down. Like I don't really give a poo poo. I didn't even get tickets! I waited an hour to get Rogue One tickets last year.

Ah well.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Sir Kodiak posted:

That'll be next year for me. Rian Johnson's installment has been the one I'm most excited about since he was announced.

I actually like Rian Johnson a lot but I feel like he's going to be straight-jacketed by corporate formula. I would love to be wrong.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It's funny how Ron Howard's parody on The Simpsons has mirrored his future career.

(Also, his youngest daughter was in Jurassic World, so "the zoo for rich people" sort of came true)

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Rogue One was a mess, but it was the kind of mess I like, Episode 7 gets worse as time goes on, after Lord and Miller left there is no interest for me in a bland Solo movie but the weird patchwork editing they will have to do might be entertaining. Episode 8 I have no idea if it will be good or not but I'm going to see it because why not.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I still haven't seen the Episode 8 trailer. And not even because I'm avoiding spoilers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There are foxes. Now you aware of the best part of the trailer.

Foxes are cute.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I still haven't seen the Episode 8 trailer. And not even because I'm avoiding spoilers.
If you go to another movie before then, chances are you're going go see it.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

I can't watch videos at the moment so I didn't listen the announcement posted earlier, but... is this real? Are they seriously just calling it "Solo?"

Because that's dumb as hell.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Casimir Radon posted:

If you go to another movie before then, chances are you're going go see it.

Saw the first trailer before Blade Runner. I could hear disappointed murmurs that it wasn't the new trailer, which I haven't seen yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Could be worse.

They could have called YOLO Solo.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If the poster doesn't look like this I'll be disappointed.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ImpAtom posted:

Could be worse.

They could have called YOLO Solo.

Found a video for the theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg_FoEy8T_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

If the poster doesn't look like this I'll be disappointed.

If Han Solo punches a giant weasel in this movie I will see it.

• Locked thread