Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
MD's is basically just OG2nd's right? I mean both games look great but they're still built on a PS3 framework designed to be pushed onto a Vita and that comes with some limitations on how much it's built to handle, they probably want to capitalize on the PS4's abilities. And I thought V just used the very same map rendering but with Z3's battle stuff. They probably want something that looks substantially different from both for a 3rd OGs for sure, but maybe for another entry like V they'd squeeze as much as they can out of what they've got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

now that they're releasing games in more than just japan i hope going forward banpresto takes that into consideration re: series lists

like man, imagine how many new people could get enticed by z2's roster

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Gyra_Solune posted:

MD's is basically just OG2nd's right? I mean both games look great but they're still built on a PS3 framework designed to be pushed onto a Vita and that comes with some limitations on how much it's built to handle, they probably want to capitalize on the PS4's abilities. And I thought V just used the very same map rendering but with Z3's battle stuff. They probably want something that looks substantially different from both for a 3rd OGs for sure, but maybe for another entry like V they'd squeeze as much as they can out of what they've got.

V is definitely not the same rendering as OGs. OGs does full 3D while V uses HD sprites on a flat background. There are advantages to OGs, mainly being able to do scenes in-engine easily like the POV shot of ToTetsuOh eating a Huckebein, but I think V's looks crisper. Either way I don't see why they wouldn't just update the OGs engine and assets again for OGs3 as they did from the PS2 to the PS3, assuming that's not what they already did for MD and now it's sitting there ready for a real title.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Brother Entropy posted:

now that they're releasing games in more than just japan i hope going forward banpresto takes that into consideration re: series lists

like man, imagine how many new people could get enticed by z2's roster

Imagine if they did an HD remaster of the Z series and did an SEA English release, it'd print money

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Imagine if they did an HD remaster of the Z series and did an SEA English release, it'd print money

i've been sitting on getting MD and V for awhile 'cause i got plenty of other games to play but goddamn even just a remaster of z1 i'd have to buy on launch

(bring back z1's squad system you fucks)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
3ds isn't dead for like 2 more years

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Also people seem to be blaming lack of a vita version for slower, relative to its predecessor, sales on Cold Steel 3 so I'm not sure about the vita criticism at least in the context of Japan. At least with Cold Steel 3 there's a method to the madness in its international release but for SRW I'm not sure how much that type of strategy applies.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
SRW seems like it usually only hops onto a new console much later, so at bare minimum, I severely doubt that Switch will get a new game that fast.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Davzz posted:

SRW seems like it usually only hops onto a new console much later, so at bare minimum, I severely doubt that Switch will get a new game that fast.
Did the Wii U even get a SRW game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raxivace posted:

Did the Wii U even get a SRW game?
Not that I know of. It didn't get a whole lot of things.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I am 99% sure the Switch will get a SRW at some point because that thing is hot cakes. I think the Wii U is the only NIntendo console to not get one but also it was the Wii U.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Wii U is like the new robot that has a lovely version of the real upgrade. Like the Tau reactors in 00 Gundam or whatever.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The Switch is shaping up to be the Vita 2: This Time With Heavy First Party Support so its a pretty safe bet.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also, Bandai is already putting games on the switch.

Wii U was just a weird time in which the ps3, Vita, and 3ds were at their height of power so a 4th console was probably stretching it too thin for them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EthanSteele posted:

I think the Wii U is the only NIntendo console to not get one but also it was the Wii U.
Yeah I was going to say the NES didn't get one either but then I remembered that not only does SRW2 exist but I also actually beat that game too and somehow forgot about it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't think there's a Virtual Boy SRW

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
It did have an SD Gundam game though, despite only having 22 releases.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I know V is new and also better but I still think about Z occasionally, because there's so much of it and it ran over so many years, and also I'm still a little mad that my sign was such a wet fart.

I started thinking a little bit about what the Dreaming Fishes' actual arc, if it had one, would look like, and I couldn't figure out how it could possibly become too meaningfully different from the Wavering Scales', or else a boring "power of love" thing that would be dull even for an OG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I know V is new and also better but I still think about Z occasionally, because there's so much of it and it ran over so many years, and also I'm still a little mad that my sign was such a wet fart.

I started thinking a little bit about what the Dreaming Fishes' actual arc, if it had one, would look like, and I couldn't figure out how it could possibly become too meaningfully different from the Wavering Scales', or else a boring "power of love" thing that would be dull even for an OG.

I liked Power of Love in V. :smith:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
V's was fine because it actually wrote into it instead of just hammering it like that one loving dialogue where Hibiki unironically tells Virudhaka he's fighting for love, peace, courage, etc. listing them off and Virudhaka is like "ah, yes, my apologies, you are a true warrior."

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Caphi posted:

V's was fine because it actually wrote into it instead of just hammering it like that one loving dialogue where Hibiki unironically tells Virudhaka he's fighting for love, peace, courage, etc. listing them off and Virudhaka is like "ah, yes, my apologies, you are a true warrior."

The originals are supposed to be the glue holding the SRW fanfiction together, but I feel like in Z they were at their weakest. Different games execute them in different ways, though. I can't speak to V's original plot, but I'll compare a few here.

Alpha: Very overbearing originals that had their hands in just about every possible cookie jar in the late game, with plot heavily centered around SRX
Alpha Gaiden: Pendulum swung in the other direction, originals that had a very light footprint and original protagonists mattered less than any other IP in the story, final Ragnarok stage was more of an afterthought than anything else
Impact: Three named characters and an original plot that was resolved before the "actual" CCA ending, but honorable mention to those flying MP Gespenst Mk-IIs with beam fields that were super annoying to deal with
Alpha 2: Low original presence that doesn't matter for most of the game except in Kusuha's plot, honorable mention to Kukuru as arguably the least threatening rival in all of video game history
MX: Four named characters (five if you include Foglia), original presence was almost like an homage to the featured IPs, with the final boss assimilating stuff from endgame IP plots like the Star of Ra Mu and DG cells
Alpha 3: Back to semi-overbearing original story with heavy SRX focus and lots of original heroes/villains
Z series: I barely remember the Z2 games so I'm just gonna lump all these together and say that the originals were halfassed and poorly written as a general rule, yes even Euther, especially Euther, which wouldn't be so bad except that they are constantly shoved down your throat to an even greater degree than Alpha 3
Z3-1: Given a special mention because it had an amazing final stage fighting the Anti-Spiral and ends everything on a super intense high note, then they had to ruin it all by throwing in one more unfun and uninteresting original stage fighting Shiku as a wet fart (I love this phrase Caphi) of a denouement, also randomly made an original lady pregnant and then killed her off for no real reason, seriously wtf

Those are my completely objective and 100% fair opinions regarding original execution from game to game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hokuto posted:

The originals are supposed to be the glue holding the SRW fanfiction together, but I feel like in Z they were at their weakest. Different games execute them in different ways, though. I can't speak to V's original plot, but I'll compare a few here.

Alpha: Very overbearing originals that had their hands in just about every possible cookie jar in the late game, with plot heavily centered around SRX
Alpha Gaiden: Pendulum swung in the other direction, originals that had a very light footprint and original protagonists mattered less than any other IP in the story, final Ragnarok stage was more of an afterthought than anything else
Impact: Three named characters and an original plot that was resolved before the "actual" CCA ending, but honorable mention to those flying MP Gespenst Mk-IIs with beam fields that were super annoying to deal with
Alpha 2: Low original presence that doesn't matter for most of the game except in Kusuha's plot, honorable mention to Kukuru as arguably the least threatening rival in all of video game history
MX: Four named characters (five if you include Foglia), original presence was almost like an homage to the featured IPs, with the final boss assimilating stuff from endgame IP plots like the Star of Ra Mu and DG cells
Alpha 3: Back to semi-overbearing original story with heavy SRX focus and lots of original heroes/villains
Z series: I barely remember the Z2 games so I'm just gonna lump all these together and say that the originals were halfassed and poorly written as a general rule, yes even Euther, especially Euther, which wouldn't be so bad except that they are constantly shoved down your throat to an even greater degree than Alpha 3
Z3-1: Given a special mention because it had an amazing final stage fighting the Anti-Spiral and ends everything on a super intense high note, then they had to ruin it all by throwing in one more unfun and uninteresting original stage fighting Shiku as a wet fart (I love this phrase Caphi) of a denouement, also randomly made an original lady pregnant and then killed her off for no real reason, seriously wtf

Those are my completely objective and 100% fair opinions regarding original execution from game to game

Honestly I can't argue with any of this.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I liked Z1 OG stories

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I liked the Z1 bad ending for Setsuko better than the actual ending she got. Replacing her dead friends with dimensional analogues of them was a huge, huge copout.

I should have mentioned the Firebugs from Z2 as well, those guys were pretty great, especially in Z3 when they tried to recruit Tessa as their new queen and weirded her out by being goddamn nerds.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Why was Euther bad? I have no idea what the stories were for z2, all I knew was that he had a rad theme and cool mech, along with a poo poo ton of specific battle quotes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Why was Euther bad? I have no idea what the stories were for z2, all I knew was that he had a rad theme and cool mech, along with a poo poo ton of specific battle quotes.

Uther wasn't the worst in the world or anything but like most of the post Z-1 originals he ended up dominating huge chunks of the plot rather than amplifying the anime series the way a good original does. The split-game stuff hurt that a lot because original villains ended up taking up huge amounts of screentime and I admit I look less favorably back on Z2-2 after seeing Z3-2 amplify its problems.

My genuine feeling on OG characters is that they work best if they're a part of the plot and maybe justification for a big end-game fight but not when they completely overwhelm everything else. W and V are two of my higher standards. I like Z1 a lot too but it's harder to be as positive about it after Z2/3 and seeing all that wasted potential though it still stands alone well.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The writing was dragged down a lot by the structure of the game of the Z sequels, where they essentially had to use them as plot-spackle because they trying to stretch each series over 2 games worth of plot. Z3-2 was pretty much the nadir, but it's a problem to all of the games.

I still maintain that if you're going to have the OG villains hog screentime, having nice music and cool mechs and actually doing things like in Z2-2 goes a long way in getting me to forgive the writing flaws. As opposed to whatever the heck happened in Z3-2.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Z1 had a good plot/villains from the perspective of "integrates well with series" but the OG heroes were always just about themselves. I don't personally mind if OGs just have their own decent plot and Z1's were fine and fresh, they just didn't integrate especially well. With Z2 you saw more of a slide towards the OG plot being about itself, with Elgan playing with the setting politics and ultimately dying as part of 00, but ultimately being a callback to Z1 continuity and the entire thing with Gaioh/Insaraum going precisely nowhere. Meanwhile Crowe was okay - I'm not going to defend Esther's plot but I liked her relationship with Crowe and how it mostly defined him rather than her, at least until the Z2.2 fiasco. Finally in Z3 you had everything revolving around Hibiki and Advent, even the previous OGs, especially in End of Heaven, and they were themselves the worst OGs in a Z game by a huge margin.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Caphi posted:

Z1 had a good plot/villains from the perspective of "integrates well with series" but the OG heroes were always just about themselves. I don't personally mind if OGs just have their own decent plot and Z1's were fine and fresh, they just didn't integrate especially well. With Z2 you saw more of a slide towards the OG plot being about itself, with Elgan playing with the setting politics and ultimately dying as part of 00, but ultimately being a callback to Z1 continuity and the entire thing with Gaioh/Insaraum going precisely nowhere. Meanwhile Crowe was okay - I'm not going to defend Esther's plot but I liked her relationship with Crowe and how it mostly defined him rather than her, at least until the Z2.2 fiasco. Finally in Z3 you had everything revolving around Hibiki and Advent, even the previous OGs, especially in End of Heaven, and they were themselves the worst OGs in a Z game by a huge margin.

I agree with all this. Everything about Hibiki is the worst, but the ultimate ultra worst thing is that he pulls everybody else into his black hole of awful and makes them worse too. For some reason he doesn't hit the OC-do-not-steal singularity that Ing does to make me like him.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still really like Z1 and Z2-1, but every game after these two I liked less and less.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

I agree with all this. Everything about Hibiki is the worst, but the ultimate ultra worst thing is that he pulls everybody else into his black hole of awful and makes them worse too. For some reason he doesn't hit the OC-do-not-steal singularity that Ing does to make me like him.

Hibiki is boring as poo poo. I don't like Ing much but Ing is at least ridiculously over the top. Hibiki is like 'oh okay you exist."

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Hibiki is like 'oh okay you exist."

Hibiki is such a black hole of uninteresting that this is a bold claim to make.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ing feels like a joke. Hibiki feels like they are genuinely into how he's strong but tragic and so moe-shy and has special superpowers and the specialest Sphere and despite his inner pain he loves everybody and justice and literally loves the independence mental illness out of his hot teacher girlfriend.

gently caress Hibiki Kamishiro.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

And he's not even that cute in the first place.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

He does use a spear which is at least something that makes him stand out from the Average Good Guy With A Sword character.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
God I forgot about the Ambriel thing until just now and it's probably the shittiest most offensive thing about the entire Hibiki thing (I was going to say in Z3 but then I remembered whatsername the pregnant Gemini princess).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ethiser posted:

He does use a spear which is at least something that makes him stand out from the Average Good Guy With A Sword character.

It would be if it actually mattered much to his character instead of him becoming kungfu man.

Geminion Ray's ultimate attack is even a sword!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bullet is a compelling character compared to Hibiki.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Monaghan posted:

So he's supposed to be the king of a tragic kingdom that lost its world and he's saddled with the fate of its people now and has to make Tough Choices, but it all goes out the window every time I remember the multiple scenes of him going to Damon Esther's fridge and lamenting to her in long soliloquys while she just sat there and sometimes groaned to punctuate his monologues. He always came off to me as a giant creeper because of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Hokuto posted:

So he's supposed to be the king of a tragic kingdom that lost its world and he's saddled with the fate of its people now and has to make Tough Choices, but it all goes out the window every time I remember the multiple scenes of him going to Damon Esther's fridge and lamenting to her in long soliloquys while she just sat there and sometimes groaned to punctuate his monologues. He always came off to me as a giant creeper because of that.

Esther was always this figure for Crowe to feel distantly guilty towards, powering his own angst, while she innocently tries to push her own path forward. But at least Crowe kept it to himself, and when he was interacting with her directly he encouraged her, doing his "penance" that way instead of just wallowing in it. It's actually kind of nice.

It's only when she gets DAMonized Violated (I just remembered that was the term, good god) that she completely becomes a point of pathos for Crowe and Uther.

• Locked thread