Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I really liked both Coerthas West and to a lesser extent the Forelands as well. The first fits the storybeats great and in general is once of the better takes on snowzone I've seen. Forelands felt just right for it's MSQ section of roadtrip, and even it's worst parts are passable, where-as something like Churning Mists is a homogenous blob of shredded, floating manure with Helix sticking out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Azys Lla feels like the final dungeon of a Final Fantasy game, it's good.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I loved moving through azys lla, unlocking teleporters to travel to different research facilities, finding clues about some of the monstrous things the ascians did and then meeting A sibling of bahamut who has been imprisoned for five thousand years and who regrets their actions in summoning the primal version of bahamut so much that they choose to stay bound for eternity in atonement before taking flight to the final dungeon

Jinh fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 17, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Azys Lla really hits the right notes for me because it's a take on the Floating Continent from FF6. Really hoping more happens in that area, even if it's in the far future where they do some grand tour of old areas for plot reasons.

Also, areas that override the battle theme with the overworld theme tend to be pretty great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like Azys Lla more than I like the final area of Stormblood. It has more potential than I think was actually capitalized on, but it's still a cool area to look at.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Do those dialog choices affect the game, or are they just flavor text?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Yeah, Azys Lla is a very atmospheric zone that does a good job of conveying its age and the wrongness of what the ancient Allagan did.

The Lochs is just sort of run down and desolate. It doesn't carry the same palpable weight of oppression that says "the end boss lives here".

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If there's ever 'wrong' choices they just tell you that was wrong and make you pick again, which can be pretty good.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Do those dialog choices affect the game, or are they just flavor text?

The only thing it really tends to affect is the following line.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CeallaSo posted:

The tone of the game matched the tone of the story, which I liked, but I'm glad that we're past it. It had definitely reached the end of its welcome by the time SB dropped.

I was thinking about what primals they might make going forward, and it occurred to me that they still have a ton of options just as far as reusing old summons goes. I think Valigarmanda is the one I want to see most, it's such a cool design.

I thought for sure the XII Espers would show up in the story given Zodiark, but they seem to be for the Ivalice raid.

Maybe the Magus Sisters?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The only dialogue choice that matters is one of the very first ones in the game, where you get a different unique ring depending on what you say.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Jay Rust posted:

The only dialogue choice that matters is one of the very first ones in the game, where you get a different unique ring depending on what you say.

What? When is this?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
The very first choice you get when the merchant on the cart/boat ride into your starting city asks what you’re seeking.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Azys Lla really hits the right notes for me because it's a take on the Floating Continent from FF6. Really hoping more happens in that area, even if it's in the far future where they do some grand tour of old areas for plot reasons.

Also, areas that override the battle theme with the overworld theme tend to be pretty great.

It's also the sky fortress from FF1, because Azys Lla is where you find Tiamat and some adamantite.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I wonder what percentage of your screenshots I'm in. Probably a lot, considering how much stuff we run together! Also your imgur name is inaccurate now, since you changed your in-game name like a jerk.

I also changed my in-game name like a jerk, in case anyone was wondering who Estelle Auberlaint is.

Not a ton, I usually delete screenshots of giraffe people.

I reorganized the images at https://naheo.imgur.com hopefully making it easier. The 3.5 album has some great shots of the pre-expansion send-off all three FCs did. Also, that link probably won’t work on your phone without the Imgur app (and maybe even with, haven’t tested that.)

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
Coerthas Western is honestly the worst area in the game to traverse before flight, and agonizingly slooooow since you don't get fast mounts before then.

Now I'm at the end of 3.0, but I'm not feeling like the HW sidequests don't really...explore all the areas? I remember ARR had you visit practically every place of importance at least once, but the it seems like a lot of neat Named Areas in zones aren't used for much.

Do we get to see/talk to Tiamat again? It feels kind of hosed that we get to estbalish relationships again between man and dragon and the WOL is content to let her brood forever. I KO'd your phantom bro, sistah, it's cool, no need to Nero the Sable yourself.

I wonder if she'll come up in a future expansion that involves Mercyadia. I never did see those last 2 great wyrms after all.

Rastan Beeza fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 17, 2017

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Right. Very newbish housing question as i've never touched it before. I have a cottage in Mist and I want to make it look like a hingan cottage. Is this possible? Will I need to purchase a hingan cottage permit to do that? Also if this is the case, as I suspect, will I need to remove the existing house and/or the stuff inside?

I'm pretty sure this is not possible unless you want the shirogane castle walls(maybe). If you get those it's just a cosmetic item that layers over your wall/fence/roof slots so theres no need to rebuild

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Yes, there is a large epilogue sidequest chain when you complete 3.4 min quest. You'll know it when you get to it. Also check out the moogle beast tribe story

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Rastan Beeza posted:

Coerthas Western is honestly the worst area in the game to traverse before flight

Worst for you...SO FAR. Stormblood awaits!

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Worst for you...SO FAR. Stormblood awaits!

The Lochs pre-flying is the worst designed zone I've ever been in any mmo I've ever played. Someone took perverse pride in making that as miserable as goddamn possible to get around, as evidenced by the aether current locations

EDIT: Someone convince me to not buy this Zurvanite Barding for my Chocobo so his armor and mine can match :negative:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

But how will you and your chocobo match if you don't?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bolow posted:

The Lochs pre-flying is the worst designed zone I've ever been in any mmo I've ever played. Someone took perverse pride in making that as miserable as goddamn possible to get around, as evidenced by the aether current locations

EDIT: Someone convince me to not buy this Zurvanite Barding for my Chocobo so his armor and mine can match :negative:

There are far worse zones than the lochs.

You won't match when you change class.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Conversely, I like the Lochs. Pre-flying wasn't super great for me, but that's due to a couple specific currents and the salt elementals. First SB enemy that used Heavy on me.

But overall, I think its a bleakly pretty zone, the music's really good, and Ala Mhigo has impressive (if often solely visual) architecture. Desert kingdoms own, especially when they have some ruins.

Totally understand why it's not everyone's brand of cricket. Azys Lla is wilder and more in line with weird alien poo poo in the series.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I had no idea ivalice was pronounced eee-va-lease until i did rabanastre over the weekend

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I don't think you can talk about terrible zones until you get flight without mentioning the Sea of Clouds.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Even with flight sea of clouds is annoying. That map is just way too big.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I like Sea of Clouds until I have to fly up a million miles to an island and ugh why is this taking so long.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm new to squadrons, is there a good guide around for getting started?

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Not a ton, I usually delete screenshots of giraffe people.

:smith:

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yes, there is a large epilogue sidequest chain when you complete 3.4 min quest. You'll know it when you get to it. Also check out the moogle beast tribe story

To expand on this, the sidequest chain starts with The Paths We Walk in Ishgard. It's very long, only gives you one emote as a reward, and you should do it anyways because it's really, really good, especially if you're like me and like quests that give a bit of depth to the Warrior of Light's character.

Pay respects to a friend. :unsmith:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It's also the sky fortress from FF1, because Azys Lla is where you find Tiamat and some adamantite.

:aaa: Oh poo poo, you're right! Way to go, this game.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.
I'll be sure to do it then. I love when games give your mute perpetually mute hero some emotion or fleshing out. (Really liked Suikoden V for that reason, the scene after shits hits the bed for the royal family the first time is powerful)

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Pay respects to a friend. :unsmith:

I knew what would happen to spoiler beforehand, but it still really got me hard. :negative: It's even worse going back to area you met them and talking to npcs there, ouch.

And since we're talking areas, it was surreal going to Anyx Trine before the MSQ and finding it completely empty, I mistook it at first for the abandoned Sharlayan city at first.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, how exactly do I figure out if Argath is lying or not? I know blue is truth and red is lies, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that corresponds to. I tried the text color, the mask popup, and the overhead indicator and if any of those corresponded then I must have been loving something up because listening to any of them screwed me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

UHD posted:

I had no idea ivalice was pronounced eee-va-lease until i did rabanastre over the weekend

I always thought it was eye-valice before someone in my static corrected me like a year ago.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Arist posted:

Okay, how exactly do I figure out if Argath is lying or not? I know blue is truth and red is lies, but I can't for the life of me figure out what that corresponds to. I tried the text color, the mask popup, and the overhead indicator and if any of those corresponded then I must have been loving something up because listening to any of them screwed me.

If it’s the angel face, you follow the order. Demon face, you don’t. The colours tell you whether you got “turn” or “scatter”, I think, but you don’t have to pay attention to them if you’re reading the text.

Also, someone had to tell me that “scatter” doesn’t mean “stand away from other people”, it means “be moving”.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I swear they pronounced it iv-aah-liss in ff12 but that could have been just Balthier's accent.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Jay Rust posted:

Also, someone had to tell me that “scatter” doesn’t mean “stand away from other people”, it means “be moving”.

Oooh that would explain why that one was sometimes messing me up.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I really liked the high contrast colors and floating islands and alien architecture in the Heavensward zones, they were probably my favorite in the game. The desolate dragon areas like Coerthas West were good too.

The Gyr Albania half of Stormblood made me feel like I'd been teleported to a Quake map at times. I think it's good that they're able to change up the themes and styles between expansions though

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Rastan Beeza posted:

I'll be sure to do it then. I love when games give your mute perpetually mute hero some emotion or fleshing out. (Really liked Suikoden V for that reason, the scene after shits hits the bed for the royal family the first time is powerful)

I knew what would happen to spoiler beforehand, but it still really got me hard. :negative: It's even worse going back to area you met them and talking to npcs there, ouch.

In addition to the remembering Heavensward quests, the DRK questline gives the WoL a lot of characterization as well. Also, I'm not even remotely ashamed to admit that I bought some Hot Chocolate off the market board and brought it up to Haurchefant's grave when the game sent me there. I was a little disappointed that it has the generic waterskin animation when you actually use it, but details.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jay Rust posted:

This is very unintuitive the first time you see it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
So, I'm debating getting back into FFXIV (I was playing at Wilfwyb back at launch until I had to stop for masters). Does anyone know where to pick up Heavensward that isn't bundled with the base game? The SquareEnix shops being a pain, and I think that's how I got it all before so not if moving to Steam is a good, or better option.