Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Blizzard have stated they won't rerelease Orcs and Humans because it just wasn't that good compared to their later games.

Still no excuse for not rereleasing Warcraft 2 though.

I also remember someone telling me that Warcraft 2 still supports matchmaking or some sort of online functionality with Battle.net as well (unless I'm thinking of something else).

But I do remember hearing that statement a while ago, and it annoys me the same as with the WOW vanilla server thing. "Oh hey, we don't think that game's very good compared to our new stuff." Yeah, but that still no reason to bar the idea of putting it up for sale or download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

RareAcumen posted:

Amazeballs seems like something someone a bit younger than 19 would be saying, and I've never heard the phrase Shaka Brah before but this feels less alien than any Futurama slang so I can see that being said.

No harm if anyone's prefer they said wicked or husk in place of them though.

Yeah, shaka brah is one that's a bit misplaced. I could see "hang loose" in its stead which still isn't really common. I could see someone like Chloe using either for giggles, but it'd definitely be a personal quirk. (From what I understand some of the slang Chloe uses are actually Ashley Burch-isms more than they were in the original script but I don't have a source for that).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Amazeballs seems like something someone a bit younger than 19 would be saying, and I've never heard the phrase Shaka Brah before but this feels less alien than any Futurama slang so I can see that being said.

No harm if anyone's prefer they said wicked or husk in place of them though.

One of my best friends sadly says both amazeballs and awesome sauce... He's 32 years old.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Oh, are we talking about Life is Strange's bad attempt at capturing teenage dialogue?

I have one very specific example that pisses me off. So Chloe loves the word "hella" which is NorCal slang for "really/very/extremely." So one might say things like "I'm hella tired" or "That's hella rad." It's an adjective to add emphasis. So far, so good, Chloe is using it correctly most of the time.

But one line she says is "Hella yes!" like she's trying to say "Hell yes!" but with hella instead. But it ends up meaning "Very yes!" and it totally yanked me out of the moment.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

One of my best friends sadly says both amazeballs and awesome sauce... He's 32 years old.

I'm sorry that your friend is a crazy Rick and Morty fan. :v:

Seriously though, amazeballs is something I wouldn't bat an eye at if a kid around like 13 or younger was saying it, but it's whatever anyway.

Now I wish that the dialogue was about 80% slang from all over the country and vehemently refused to stick to one region. They're calling people shoobies and saying on line while in a line and getting creemees and talking about alligator pear toast. Just make it bizarrely incomprehensible.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sorry that your friend is a crazy Rick and Morty fan. :v:

Seriously though, amazeballs is something I wouldn't bat an eye at if a kid around like 13 or younger was saying it, but it's whatever anyway.

Now I wish that the dialogue was about 80% slang from all over the country and vehemently refused to stick to one region. They're calling people shoobies and saying on line while in a line and getting creemees and talking about alligator pear toast. Just make it bizarrely incomprehensible.
I was pretty sure that he's been saying it for longer than that so I looked it up and apparently the word was forcefully popularized by garbage person Perez Hilton so it's even worse. Now I for sure have to give him the ol' mercy pillow :(

But why are people so hung up on regional slang? With the internet teens don't have to travel far to know or pick up the slang that teenagers use in other places.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

But why are people so hung up on regional slang? With the internet teens don't have to travel far to know or pick up the slang that teenagers use in other places.

YOUTHS :arghfist:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WampaLord posted:

But one line she says is "Hella yes!" like she's trying to say "Hell yes!" but with hella instead. But it ends up meaning "Very yes!" and it totally yanked me out of the moment.

very yes has been part of my vocabulary for like over a decade thanks to homestarrunner so this would not have seemed weird to me

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The best way to write teens is to have them curse and say a lot of really hosed up things constantly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WampaLord posted:

Oh, are we talking about Life is Strange's bad attempt at capturing teenage dialogue?

I have one very specific example that pisses me off. So Chloe loves the word "hella" which is NorCal slang for "really/very/extremely." So one might say things like "I'm hella tired" or "That's hella rad." It's an adjective to add emphasis. So far, so good, Chloe is using it correctly most of the time.

I have multiple friends who have said very yes/extremely no/etc in the past month in the meat world to another human's face.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Engrish is very fun to say.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

realistic teenagers don't necessarily speak in a grammatically correct manner

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Augus posted:

Unless they're rich and private schooled from month two.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Augus posted:

No one who uses "hella" would say "hella yes"

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

WampaLord posted:

No one who uses "hella" would say "hella yes"

You just did, checkmate

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have to take the game by its word that this is authentic young people language. I'm just an old square stuck with my own gibberish way of speaking that's lost to time.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jimbot posted:

I have to take the game by its word that this is authentic young people language. I'm just an old square stuck with my own gibberish way of speaking that's lost to time.

Thou art

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
thart

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I have a friend from NorCal that uses hella before everything and I'm almost certain she's said hella yes before. She's almost 30.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm 26 and I say hella hella times.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I regularly say words that don't exist in the dictionary but don't worry about it too much as long as everyone understands what I mean.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I really liked LiS story but the dialogue felt really strange to me, why did Chloe keep saying “tane”, and why did she keep talking about long faces and broken holes?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
This thread is full of geriatric Skinners

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
SPAAAAAANNNNDEEEXXXXXX!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrlvXZ44Vo

STURRRRRDDDUUSSSSSTTTTTT!

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Has Jim ever made a bad decision in showmanship? Pretty much every bizarre new thing he comes up with is like instant gold.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Meh, I'm starting to feel like Sterling is turning into the Nostalgia Critic of video games. Repetition and funny costumes and long skits I end up skipping over. At least he's right about most of the things he says.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Spark That Bled posted:

Meh, I'm starting to feel like Sterling is turning into the Nostalgia Critic of video games. Repetition and funny costumes and long skits I end up skipping over. At least he's right about most of the things he says.

So nothing like the Nostalgia Critic then?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Andrast posted:

So nothing like the Nostalgia Critic then?

Is that really good enough for you?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Spark That Bled posted:

To be fair - if the same poo poo continues to be poo poo calling out the poo poo is gonna sound repetitious. At least Jim sticks to his guns.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Spark That Bled posted:

Is that really good enough for you?

It isn't for you? Having an understanding of the material your talking about seems to be a commodity on youtube. Jim Sterling has always been bombastic about the Jimquisition persona, this is nothing new.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Jimbot posted:

It isn't for you? Having an understanding of the material your talking about seems to be a commodity on youtube. Jim Sterling has always been bombastic about the Jimquisition persona, this is nothing new.

Cool, but it still doesn't change that I'm starting to find it grating and repetitive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Spark That Bled posted:

Cool, but it still doesn't change that I'm starting to find it grating and repetitive.

Yeah like, I love Jim. We both share the same body build and both believe FF9 is indeed the best Final Fantasy.

But my lord dude. Its like that coworker of mine who constantly, constantly bitches about work. And they're absolutely right about all of it! Doesn't mean I am ok with hearing the same diatribe over and over again.

You know, like this thread and its loving POLITICAL DERAILS

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Spark That Bled posted:

It's a hot topic right now that should be discussed and called out. lovely practices should be called out before they become the norm. If it requires multiple videos to stress that fact then so be it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Jim Sterling is to bad video game business practices as John Oliver is to Republicans loving the American people.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Terrible Opinions posted:

Jim Sterling is to bad video game business practices as John Oliver is to Republicans loving the American people.

I thought Jim Sterling was meant to be good?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

I believe Nintendo owes you, the gamer, their games for free. And that's why, tonight, right here on this stage *crowd goes wild* I'm announcing the Jim Sterling ROMland EMUporium, featuring Edgy the Emu *emu mascot runs on stage* and Rommel the Ram *ram mascot runs on stage*. We've got Every! Single! Game! *tosses carts into the crowd and runs in circles* And all of it can be monetized! Oh my god!? *cat in Santa outfit with shreds of paper marked "DMCA" is lowered from above stage* It's Fair Use Claus! The holidays came early! Get ready for those $5 Steam sales, because games shouldn't cost more than that! *fireworks, followed by small cannons launching hats into the crowd* And for everyone here tonight, we're giving out our official Jim Sterling Tonight "Internet Nintendo Emulation Star" hats, because, much like the ROMs we're giving out, you deserve an iNES on your header. *mascots are running all over the stage as confetti drops from the ceiling* That's our show for this week. We'll be back when Zelda gets a good game again. Good night, everybody!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Takoluka posted:

I believe Nintendo owes you, the gamer, their games for free. And that's why, tonight, right here on this stage *crowd goes wild* I'm announcing the Jim Sterling ROMland EMUporium, featuring Edgy the Emu *emu mascot runs on stage* and Rommel the Ram *ram mascot runs on stage*. We've got Every! Single! Game! *tosses carts into the crowd and runs in circles* And all of it can be monetized! Oh my god!? *cat in Santa outfit with shreds of paper marked "DMCA" is lowered from above stage* It's Fair Use Claus! The holidays came early! Get ready for those $5 Steam sales, because games shouldn't cost more than that! *fireworks, followed by small cannons launching hats into the crowd* And for everyone here tonight, we're giving out our official Jim Sterling Tonight "Internet Nintendo Emulation Star" hats, because, much like the ROMs we're giving out, you deserve an iNES on your header. *mascots are running all over the stage as confetti drops from the ceiling* That's our show for this week. We'll be back when Zelda gets a good game again. Good night, everybody!

Source your quotes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Takoluka posted:

waiter can i get another glass of water, there's too much salt in this dish.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Takoluka posted:

I'm just the janitor sir, can I get back to my job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failin Porte_Potty
Apr 4, 2017

Pounded in the Butt by an Outhouse Pretending to be an Internet Reviewer.
By Chuck Tingle

Takoluka posted:

And I thought people went to lengths to avoid coming out and saying they hated my voice/face.

• Locked thread