Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Rinkles posted:

I think this just means they don't normally release games during this quarter.

the article is almost bizarrely, obliviously optimistic - me:a was still a franchise low on a game with like 5 years of overhead in development costs that also tanked more than one reputation with its poor reception, but yes on the quarter it was actually released it will still increase company revenues because ~3 million customers buying a game at varying discounts (with EA later gutting the bioware team that made it) is still more profitable to EA than what the situation was like on the financial report the year before, with me:a then still stuck in development hell and consuming money rather than producing it, and that's the difference you notice comparing year to year reports without context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clawtopsy posted:

tbf if you couldnt see the writing on the wall with dragon age inquisition, i dont know what to tell you

The open world stuff was not a good sign. Bioware's made their name on engaging stories and characters, not freeform exploration and activity.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

The open world stuff was not a good sign. Bioware's made their name on engaging stories and characters, not freeform exploration and activity.

At very least, Inquisition had some interesting lore and worldbuilding to keep you engaged in the open world

Andromeda basically did not even try

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

At very least, Inquisition had some interesting lore and worldbuilding to keep you engaged in the open world

Not really

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I enjoyed Inquistion.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Inquisition had you explore a world with history, landmarks, ruins, statues, hidden castles, etc. Andromeda had you explore a series of worlds with nothing on them except, "ah, bad guys live here/there are some robot pillars here identical to the robot pillars in all the other places". The textural storytelling that made tooling around in an open world fun (or for some, just bearable) wasn't there because that's a terrible foundation to build it on.

Also maybe why Kadara is probably the best open world planet, in that it has some fingerprint of habitation and history on it and isn't filled with a bunch of empty sprawl.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

tbf if you couldnt see the writing on the wall with dragon age inquisition, i dont know what to tell you

Dainq wasn't too bad except for *picks herb* :negative: as well as massive maps that were thinly populated with important poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah Inquisition had enough good that a lot of folks could tolerate its issues (mostly that it had way too much filler and fetch quests) while Andromeda was 70% filler and the rest wasn't good enough to sustain it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The bottom line is that EA doesn't care if Andromeda tarnished the Mass Effect franchise, for their shareholders it was a profit, even moreso because then they had cause to shutter Bioware Montreal for good. They'll try the same thing again in a few years and everyone will probably forget as soon as they see that $200 collector's edition with the krogan plushie.

Was it a profit ? What was the production and marketing budget ?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
DAINQ was like... 80% gametime spent collecting bear asses for what were basically radiant quests. Unlike Skyrim, where I can safely ignore idiot villager's pleas, BioWare keep doing that thing where they punish you in later games if you miss a particular side quest.

Seriously, the memorable parts of DA:I don't make up a huge amount. The gameplay was dull, and the character stuff was pretty much bad-VN tier. Blackwall was good. That's about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Inquisition was fun despite all the open world stuff, it didn't make anything better

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Dragon Age Inquisition was dainq AF

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that was a millennial joke

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
After pre-ordering both Fallout 4 and Andromeda, I shall never pre-order a game ever again

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

Woah, thread rating no longer poop brown

People still rate threads?

Mind blown.

Moola posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition was dainq AF

Pronounced "Daynk-aff." Those wacky Millennials! They are extra fire.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Bitter fly posted:

After pre-ordering both Fallout 4 and Andromeda, I shall never pre-order a game ever again

Its always fun to see people's "Don't touch the Stove" moment.

I got sucked into a Alien Colonel Marines even at a dirt cheap price. After that......never again.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
why did the Quarian cross the road?

to get away from Mass Effect Andromeda

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

too bad it disappeared halfway across

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All the Quarians in the galaxy being canonically dead thanks to a catastrophic badgame malfunction is my favorite outcome of Mass Effect Andromeda.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

All the Quarians in the galaxy being canonically dead thanks to a catastrophic badgame malfunction is my favorite outcome of Mass Effect Andromeda.

Also the volus, drell, hanar, and elcor which were coming on the quarian ark. You can get the hanar and drell rendered extinct in the Milky Way in a sidequest in 3.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bitter fly posted:

My last two pre-orders were XCOM 2: WotC, and Shadow of War, I have no regerts.

On the other hand my last two impulse buys were Andromeda and Revolution: Homefront, so I should just not impuse buy games ever again.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Knock knock

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Moola posted:

Knock knock

Due to poor critical reception, no further content updates to this joke are planned at this time

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
drat that's better than what I had

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

Lol that Bioware started chasing the MMO dragon years after the getting was good, and with a couple of single player RPG franchises no less. In 2023 when we get mass effect 5, we’ll be grinding for party member shards.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

im cute posted:

Lol that Bioware started chasing the MMO dragon years after the getting was good, and with a couple of single player RPG franchises no less. In 2023 when we get mass effect 5, we’ll be grinding for party member shards.

I don't even think we will get Mass Effect 5 in 2023. Just a remake of Mass Effect 1 with some how a stupider story and less interesting characters.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah Inquisition had enough good that a lot of folks could tolerate its issues (mostly that it had way too much filler and fetch quests) while Andromeda was 70% filler and the rest wasn't good enough to sustain it.

DA:I was alright. I stopped playing once I killed the demon army because it turned out reading the lore on the wiki page was a lot easier than dragging my group's whiny rear end to fight Lameass McFuckWizard a fifth time. DA:I is also the first game that I purposely ignored some of the companions or didn't recruit them my second playthrough (Vivian and greasy elf face). The major failing of that game was that Corypheus just kinda. . . sucked? Like I kicked his rear end over and over after Haven to the point that it was just silly.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BexGu posted:

I don't even think we will get Mass Effect 5 in 2023. Just a remake of Mass Effect 1 with some how a stupider story and less interesting characters.

Don't forget the half assed graphics!

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

It’s worth it to play Inquisition now that you know none of the decisions you make have any future payoff/penalty. And also because it’s cheap now.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't forget the half assed graphics!

Mass Effect 1 is another in a long line of really good games with bullshit grafics

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I guess Bioware is pretty much The Anthem Developer now and if that performs below expectations then it's hella RIP for everything else.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Admiral Ray posted:

DA:I is also the first game that I purposely ignored some of the companions or didn't recruit them my second playthrough (Vivian and greasy elf face).

Same. Navigating Skyhold to find them every time didn't help.

Cole is the only BW character I gave up on after the first conversation.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Same. Navigating Skyhold to find them every time didn't help.

Cole is the only BW character I gave up on after the first conversation.

I think after finding out her quest sucks and she won’t get her tits out, I gave up on redundant mage/knight enchanter lady. Her “slavery is actually cool” stance did not help.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I guess Bioware is pretty much The Anthem Developer now and if that performs below expectations then it's hella RIP for everything else.

What an excellent use of a developer known for its existing beloved franchises with rabid fanbases

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

With Casey back on board, they can do no wrong.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Casey "FRANCHISE KILLER" Hudson

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
visceral games is loving dead

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

That Star Wars game was probably going to be a decent romp. Poor Amy Henning,

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Time to update the cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Does EA know that they actually have to make games to get people interested in their monthly game subscription service?