Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

This is going to end well yessiree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Darchangel posted:

I think he means in terms of full on mental issues - psychoses and other poo poo that gets you institutionalized. They’re hosed up in little ways all over the place., but functional in society.

Yeah it's not like Japan is some sort of utopia despite what many goons might think to the contrary (haha) but it's interesting to note that things like suicides and japan's recent issues of deaths caused by overwork seem more prevalent in more equal societies but it may be because in societies that trend toward more equality individuals are more likely to internalise stress rather than externalise?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Yeah it's not like Japan is some sort of utopia despite what many goons might think to the contrary (haha) but it's interesting to note that things like suicides and japan's recent issues of deaths caused by overwork seem more prevalent in more equal societies but it may be because in societies that trend toward more equality individuals are more likely to internalise stress rather than externalise?

im pretty sure it's more of a cultural behaviour thing based on what I've read on the subject. It could be exacerbated by having more equality but more probably it has to do with cultural issues.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Darchangel posted:

I think he means in terms of full on mental issues - psychoses and other poo poo that gets you institutionalized. They’re hosed up in little ways all over the place., but functional in society.

They have a higher than average suicide rate for various reasons, I would have thought that counted.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im pretty sure it's more of a cultural behaviour thing based on what I've read on the subject. It could be exacerbated by having more equality but more probably it has to do with cultural issues.

i think that's what I was trying to say though perhaps not clearly enough

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

fridge corn posted:

i think that's what I was trying to say though perhaps not clearly enough

Yeah i dont fully understand the subject other than there are some medieval sensibilities involved so I dont want to be the white dude talking about "the inscrutable japanese" or w/e

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

There are good people you guys. I hope that I am a good people to others.

Last week headed south on a section of I95 I travel almost every day, I see an older guy walking toward me, gas can in hand, his prone car stopped a couple hundred feet ahead.

He picked a bad spot to break down, on a section of bridges in the swamp. Even worse was that the last exit (1.5mi) he was hoofing it toward doesn't have a gas station - and the next one is another 10 miles. No shoulder and heavy traffic made it impossible to get my large work truck stopped safely.

My next job was at the next exit (10mi south), I got that done quickly and headed back north on I95. Saw him across the median, he had made it to about 1/4mi from the gas-less exit. Got turned around, stopped, and he accepted my offer of a ride to get fuel. Especially when I told him how far it was - the flip phone clipped on his belt didn't have Google. Turns out he and his wife are moving to Bluffton SC, from Rhode Island. Originally from Vermont, actually from an adjacent town to my wife's family. Told me about how in college (1966), he and four other guys drove non-stop from New Jersey to LA California in 58 hrs in a 1955 Chevy. Insisted on buying me a drink at the gas station, and wouldn't take the change back from his $20.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Guys I'm going go-karting for only the second time in my adult life tomorrow for my birthday, it's gonna be fun okay well that's my story bye :3:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I went to Andretti Karting and those karts were some of the hardest things to turn I've ever had to deal with. I'm talking all my upper body strength and was still having trouble making it turn. Was my kart jacked?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

scuz posted:

Guys I'm going go-karting for only the second time in my adult life tomorrow for my birthday, it's gonna be fun okay well that's my story bye :3:

Go karts are extreme biased against fat people. :colbert:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

nm posted:

Go karts are extreme biased against fat people. :colbert:

Yeah, no matter how great I drive, the extra pounds count when you have that little power.

In other news, I posted two of my RX-7s on RX7Club and a couple local Facebook swap meets (that are at least restricted to auto stuff, and seem to be vigilant about that). No responses so far on RX7Club (posted on Friday). Facebook? First two replies on one are "what's your lowest price?", one all in Spanish. The other says he would have to drive 3 hours and wants to know before he comes to look at it. <sigh>.
I think I'll respond to both with a price $100 higher than the listed price.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Well I'm 6' 7" and go karts are extreme biased against tall people and I'm gonna have fun anyway :colbert:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

I think I'll respond to both with a price $100 higher than the listed price.

If you're not being low-balled and asked to tow the car 3-hours to the prospective buyer you aren't getting the full effect.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went into a mall the other day. Bad idea.

It was probably 50% empty, of the stores remaining, most were selling cheap knock-off chinese crap. one store had diecast cars, but obviously just raided a garage sale, and were selling the ones most old dudes sell for $20 at car shows, but for $150-$300. It was loving disgusting. Just being in there left me in such a bad mood. at ~7pm there were probably only 20 people in the mall part of the mall and maybe 50 in the Walmart connected to it. Even the legit stores had half of their store filled with poo poo straight off alibaba. You couldn't even move in the EB games because it was filled with knockoff toys.

I don't even know how they keep the lights on in there, never mind why they bother.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Eb games has moved to the DIVERSIFICATION for HIGHER GROSS PROFIT because giving some poor kid $5 for his 2 week old $65 PS4 game and selling it used for $50 just isn't enough.

I used to looove that store in the 90s. Its now all a race to the bottom.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I haven't been in one in years, but it was surprising to see. I think maybe 10% of the store was new games, 20% was used games, 60% was random nerd toys, and 10% was cheap chinese watches and phone chargers.

Back in my day, video game stores sold video games and toy stores sold toys.

Now all the toy stores are gone and the video game store is almost entirely toys.

e: also what's the loving deal with clouds? who the gently caress do they think they are just floating around like that? :argh:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Go to the video games stores that are small businesses, the one by me imports Japanese games and does a lot of retro stuff plus new stuff and it’s super cool

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

monsterzero posted:

If you're not being low-balled and asked to tow the car 3-hours to the prospective buyer you aren't getting the full effect.

True enough. I just hate people who open with "what's the lowest you'll take." I especially don't want to deal with a guy who's 3 hours away, because I know he'll try to pressure me to take less after he travels alllllllllll that way and it isn't exactly what he thought it was.
I don't want to haggle endlessly, but give me a starting point. Fact is I'll probably take a lot less than the listing price, but not if *I* have to work for it. It's intentionally a bit high, actually, just because I know I'll have to deal with poop.

slidebite posted:

Eb games has moved to the DIVERSIFICATION for HIGHER GROSS PROFIT because giving some poor kid $5 for his 2 week old $65 PS4 game and selling it used for $50 just isn't enough.

I used to looove that store in the 90s. Its now all a race to the bottom.

It is depressing. I avoid the mall as much as humanly possible.
If you value your memories at all, don't, for the love of God, go into a Sears. That one *hurts*.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

e: also what's the loving deal with clouds? who the gently caress do they think they are just floating around like that? :argh:

It's all the data pushing them around as it moves.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Go to the video games stores that are small businesses, the one by me imports Japanese games and does a lot of retro stuff plus new stuff and it’s super cool

The only ones here are basically disgusting pawn shops. full of sticky $45 N64 cartridges.

Darchangel posted:

If you value your memories at all, don't, for the love of God, go into a Sears. That one *hurts*.

What sears? :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I go into them because they're inevitably the easiest place to park next to the mall, especially in the summer where "minimizing time in the parking lot" is the winning strategy.

They're all dying shells. It's amazing how a company that was so far ahead so long ago has nose-dived so loving hard.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I go into them because they're inevitably the easiest place to park next to the mall, especially in the summer where "minimizing time in the parking lot" is the winning strategy.

They're all dying shells. It's amazing how a company that was so far ahead so long ago has nose-dived so loving hard.

"we have the most successful mail order catalog of all time, hey, look at this internet thing, should we put our catalog on there?"

"ehhhhh, let's wait 20 years and see how it all pans out."

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Any of y'all speak Korean or know where to find a Korail timetable?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Powershift posted:

I went into a mall the other day. Bad idea.

It was probably 50% empty, of the stores remaining, most were selling cheap knock-off chinese crap. one store had diecast cars, but obviously just raided a garage sale, and were selling the ones most old dudes sell for $20 at car shows, but for $150-$300. It was loving disgusting. Just being in there left me in such a bad mood. at ~7pm there were probably only 20 people in the mall part of the mall and maybe 50 in the Walmart connected to it. Even the legit stores had half of their store filled with poo poo straight off alibaba. You couldn't even move in the EB games because it was filled with knockoff toys.

I don't even know how they keep the lights on in there, never mind why they bother.
I too went into a mall for the first time in a few years last week but it was to preorder a candy bar.

It was pretty busy for a thursday night, but theres also an indoor go-kart track so :cool:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Darchangel posted:

I don't want to haggle endlessly, but give me a starting point. Fact is I'll probably take a lot less than the listing price, but not if *I* have to work for it.

I don't get why eBuyers don't understand this. You can low ball me all loving day, just show up when you say you will with cash don't waste a poo poo ton of my time. I'll probably take your offer because I want to sell the thing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cage posted:

preorder a candy bar.

What the hell is this world coming to.

Safety Dance posted:

Any of y'all speak Korean or know where to find a Korail timetable?

I can speak english really loudly and really slowly. that usually works, right?

monsterzero posted:

I don't get why eBuyers don't understand this. You can low ball me all loving day, just show up when you say you will with cash don't waste a poo poo ton of my time. I'll probably take your offer because I want to sell the thing.

I've been selling some poo poo lately, and so far people have just shown up and paid the list price :shrug:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What kind of weirdo has precious memories of Sears?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cage posted:

I too went into a mall for the first time in a few years last week but it was to preorder a candy bar.

It was pretty busy for a thursday night, but theres also an indoor go-kart track so :cool:

wait how the gently caress did I not know about this?

Also, I just spent $2000 on loving cell phones.
What is this goddamn world coming to? I think I paid $100 for my last laptop and $1000 for all the network equipment in my house plus the ginormous loving server rack to put it in.

btw I had to move the 450lb monstrosity all by myself. Probably not the smartest thing since I just dislocated my shoulder a week ago and it still hurts like gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 17, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Dude, they used to have a huge wall of TVs and a candy counter with a bunch of 5 cent candies and all the lego sets.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Darchangel posted:

The first time this one hit me was going to the one at Fairview Mall in Kitchener. I remember being a kid and that store would be packed and overflowing with goods and people and basically the entire city shopped there. When I moved back to Canada and then Kitchener, first time I went in there with my folks I'm pretty sure I said, "Wow, there's nobody here." This was 13 years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

All the toooooooooooooooooooools, man!
(and toys, when I was a kid. The Sears Christmas catalog was THE poo poo.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Darchangel posted:

All the toooooooooooooooooooools, man!
(and toys, when I was a kid. The Sears Christmas catalog was THE poo poo.)

Yes, right, we were excited to get the catalog because of the toys.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

What are the two drains, high efficiency furnace and humidifier?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think it's hilarious that Canadian Tire is doing a catalog again. It is essentially a carbon-copy of their online store and there's no order forms.

We print and bind it where I work and the 3rd edition should be arriving on doorsteps around the great white north soon.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Seminal Flu posted:

What are the two drains, high efficiency furnace and humidifier?

There's actually 3 there 2 next to each other and one on top like a pyramid.
Gas furnace, uh... I forget what the other 2 are off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure one is for a humidifier because we have gas heat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

I think it's hilarious that Canadian Tire is doing a catalog again. It is essentially a carbon-copy of their online store and there's no order forms.

We print and bind it where I work and the 3rd edition should be arriving on doorsteps around the great white north soon.

Some rear end in a top hat went around putting phone books on everybody's porch the other day.

There isn't even a search bar on the drat thing, none of the numbers are clickable, it's not even soft enough for toilet paper.

I just don't get it.

The canadian tire catalog is twice as useless, because their regular prices are bullshit and it's only ever worth buying poo poo when it's on sale anyways.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

The canadian tire catalog is twice as useless, because their regular prices are bullshit and it's only ever worth buying poo poo when it's on sale anyways.

What is great is we do 10 million copies, or roughly one for every three and a half people in this country.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

What is great is we do 10 million copies, or roughly one for every three and a half people in this country.

Well the average persons per dwelling is well under 3 now, so one per household i guess.

Do you guys print the canadian tire money too? :heysexy:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Unfortunately not, just the Wow Guide and a lot of their flyers.

Basically half of Canada's blue bin filler is produced by us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Rhyno posted:

Anyone who grew up before the 90s.

:colbert:

(its really hard to relate to if you didn't live it)

They were typically the biggest store in the mall, had a little bit of everything, and everything was hands-on. They had cool cutaway displays of appliances - ever wonder what the inside of your vacuum looked like while it worked? Go to Sears, they had one on display.
The world was a different place.

• Locked thread