Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Looking that over, I'm pretty much on week five of the program. I'm not trying to run the whole thing though, I'm just looking to finish. And not injure myself or perish.

yeah make sure your form is good. it's critically important that your strides are not too long and quick.

i derailed my running this spring by going too far too fast for what my body was really ready for and i've spent 4 months not running :(

i'm 6'4" so my strides are naturally quite long and its a lot of work for me to train my brain to take shorter, faster strides instead of longer, slower ones.

i was doing about 7:15-7:30 mile times for 3.5-4.5 miles in the spring and now i'm just getting back into running again after 2 months of physical therapy and i'm only able to do 8:30min/mile for 2 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah make sure your form is good. it's critically important that your strides are not too long and quick.

i derailed my running this spring by going too far too fast for what my body was really ready for and i've spent 4 months not running :(

i'm 6'4" so my strides are naturally quite long and its a lot of work for me to train my brain to take shorter, faster strides instead of longer, slower ones.

i was doing about 7:15-7:30 mile times for 3.5-4.5 miles in the spring and now i'm just getting back into running again after 2 months of physical therapy and i'm only able to do 8:30min/mile for 2 miles.

Easiest way for me to do it was pay attention to my arms. If you pump them faster, your legs will move faster (and take shorter strides). Trying to get the cadence down that way helped me out.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

Friday I did a 12 minute mile and that's my best so far.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
My mile times were in the 9 minute range. Pulled my hamstring, stopped running for a couple weeks, never managed to get back into it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So it may have been a mistake to come to the Northern most point of Ireland for a holiday. A windy thing called 'Ophelia' is coning to gently caress poo poo up and we're right up top by the sea on the peninsula.

If I die, whoever wants to throw lots of money at it can have my Supra. Please have fun, feed it lots of oil and eventually stack it doing something stupid in my honour. Bless up.

Will do!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

UniFi is on this and I just updated our firmwares at the work. I'll be updating my personal one at home when I get there, too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So is that the kind of thing that ISPs will be able to push firmware updates to routers to fix?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

One of Ed Bolian's recent videos had a story of Amex denying his card payment for fuel as potential fraud when doing a fast run. Their algorithm showed it as impossible for there to be two fuel stops that distance apart.

One of the things I like about Chase Bank, is that they *ask* via text and phone if I recognize a transaction if it seems suspicious.

InitialDave posted:

That is 100% not a bad thing at all.

I really appreciate being able to go to "no under 18s" showings in the nice bit of our cinema.

Alamo Drafthouse will also absolutely throw someone out for talking or loving with their phone. Unlike the AMC I went to go see Kingsman 2 at Saturday night, where a family of four apparently thought that they were in their living room ignoring the TV. Fortunately, they got bored and left 2/3 the way through.

scuz posted:

UniFi is on this and I just updated our firmwares at the work. I'll be updating my personal one at home when I get there, too.

Oh, good. I know what I'm doing this week. Fortunately, I also use "https everywhere" and newer browsers tend to try to use https by default anyway.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

So is that the kind of thing that ISPs will be able to push firmware updates to routers to fix?

Sure, in the same way that cellphone carriers can keep Android phones upda.... hahahahahahahahahahaha! Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face there.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Maybe? Depends on what the device is running for firmware, some firmware allows for auto updates, others, not so much.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

slidebite posted:

You will have to manually update your router most likely.

Individual devices will need to be upgraded to. I don't recommend connecting to public WiFi but I definitely wouldn't recommend that now because there will be no guarantee it'll be patched.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

https for everything I guess!
Also my desktop is hard-wired so try to break into that street hackers :smug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mine is too, but I don't know of any consumer grade routers that put wired and wireless on separate networks, so you're still vulnerable if you have wireless turned on at all. :smuggo:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mariooncrack posted:

Individual devices will need to be upgraded to. I don't recommend connecting to public WiFi but I definitely wouldn't recommend that now because there will be no guarantee it'll be patched.

Like public wifi was using wap anyway?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CornHolio posted:

I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to run a 5k in November. I figured, how hard can it be? I go to the gym three times a week and usually do six miles at a time on the bike.

Oh man, running is hard. I made it to two miles on Friday but my legs hurt like hell afterward. I have some Puma trainers but on Saturday I got some fitted running shoes (loving $200 for the shoes and the inserts, goddamn). My knee is still killing me today and I don't know if I should run tonight. I normally go mon-wed-fri and I want to try out my new shoes but I also don't want to gently caress up my knee or anything.

Running hurts.

You want Couch-to-5k-with-Zombies! https://zombiesrungame.com

Got me started nice and gently, now I do like 30-40k/week for fun

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seconding Zombies, Run! It actually makes running fun. It's a bit buggy on Android though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

I can't wait to spend another hour on the phone with Shaw explaining bridge mode to them.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CornHolio posted:

I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to run a 5k in November. I figured, how hard can it be? I go to the gym three times a week and usually do six miles at a time on the bike.

Oh man, running is hard. I made it to two miles on Friday but my legs hurt like hell afterward. I have some Puma trainers but on Saturday I got some fitted running shoes (loving $200 for the shoes and the inserts, goddamn). My knee is still killing me today and I don't know if I should run tonight. I normally go mon-wed-fri and I want to try out my new shoes but I also don't want to gently caress up my knee or anything.

Running hurts.

As a terrible runner.....

I was at 8min kms but a few months ago I started to do Park Run. Programs like c25k are great but also running with others really gets you going - also you meet running groups or similarily awful runners and its a nice social time. Im now consistent 5:50 min km with 5:07min km best.

Also do weights to stengthen run muscles.

Sounds more that you are heel striking too.... hard to say why or what will fix it without seeing how you run but in my case I was overreaching forward. That meant I needed to land the foot more directly undetneath me. I dont get knee issues anymore since I made that adjustment.

I really need to run more to hit my 25min 5k goal but at least I can run consistently

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

Maybe? Depends on what the device is running for firmware, some firmware allows for auto updates, others, not so much.

mariooncrack posted:

Guess what AT&T/Uverse doesn't allow you to do?
That said, they seem to keep mine up to date themselves.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Mine is too, but I don't know of any consumer grade routers that put wired and wireless on separate networks, so you're still vulnerable if you have wireless turned on at all. :smuggo:

I *think* the current Arris that I have from Uverse allows subnets, though I doubt that they are separated meaningfully. Could be wrong. I may be thinking of my Unifi.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

scuz posted:

Yep - we had patches waiting for us first thing this morning at work. Someone should tell Equifax this is how you handle security breaches.

:haw:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Saturday was a good day. My neighbor texted about borrowing my jack stands and jack for him to check out the brakes on his Chrysler T&C (he was getting a shimmy and after I drove it determined "warped" rotors/brake material deposit and needed to get them turned). I said sure, got over there and asked if he knew how to use them. He did not, after finding a safe jacking point I lifted the van and placed the jack stands to make sure they were not going to crush anyone to death. I asked if he knew how to get the rotors off. He didn't. I pointed at the brake caliper mounts and said he needed to remove those two bolts and it should come off. I asked if he had good sockets. He said "I think so...somewhere". So I grabbed my 1/2" sockets and ratchet and came over to find whoever serviced his brakes last went bananas on the air gun and must have tightened to forty dugadugas. The power of leverage was summoned with the pipe from my jack and the bolts were broken free.

Long story turned short I ended up doing the whole job for the neighbor and he learned a lot. He has helped me with house stuff because I know jack all about that stuff so it was good and easy outside of the crazy bolts. His pads were one week away from digging into the rotors so it was definitely due. It was super easy to complete as well.

The Universe/Karma saw fit to take care of me instantly it seems. I went to buy a new grill and didn't expect Lowe's to only have assembled models but assumed it would still fit in the back of the Flex with all the seats folded down. I was wrong. Here I sat trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. I had taken the top off and it was just 5 inches too big to fit in any direction. Random dude walking out said "Doesn't fit?" I said nope. He asked "Do you live far?" and I mentioned where I lived, about 8 miles/less than 15 minutes in that direction. He pointed to his shiny F-150 and said "If you want to throw it in the back there I will follow you home". I didn't even hesitate and said "Yep. I will take you up on that". We wheeled it over to his truck, strapped it down and this guy took probably 45 minutes out of his Saturday to help me out. We unloaded it onto my driveway and shook hands and that was it. Didn't expect anything in return.

There are good people you guys. I hope that I am a good people to others.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I went to buy a wheelbarrow today, bought the smallest one, didn’t fit in my G6, so I returned it

Then some dude pulled in the spot next to me as I was trying to cram it in and made all kinds of hand motions (one of which I recognized as the Arabic version of get hosed) because I was in the way and he couldn’t park somewhere else

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As a terrible runner.....

I was at 8min kms but a few months ago I started to do Park Run. Programs like c25k are great but also running with others really gets you going - also you meet running groups or similarily awful runners and its a nice social time. Im now consistent 5:50 min km with 5:07min km best.

Also do weights to stengthen run muscles.

Sounds more that you are heel striking too.... hard to say why or what will fix it without seeing how you run but in my case I was overreaching forward. That meant I needed to land the foot more directly undetneath me. I dont get knee issues anymore since I made that adjustment.

I really need to run more to hit my 25min 5k goal but at least I can run consistently

I'm not really having a problem with motivation. I'm enjoying running and have a pretty good place to do it.

I may have been running incorrectly. I went to New Balance and bought actual running shoes with supports for pronation (which I apparently need) which should help quite a bit, I imagine. My Pumas were pretty flat (relatively speaking) and I think maybe just the impacts are what hurt my knee.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Saturday was a good day. My neighbor texted about borrowing my jack stands and jack for him to check out the brakes on his Chrysler T&C (he was getting a shimmy and after I drove it determined "warped" rotors/brake material deposit and needed to get them turned). I said sure, got over there and asked if he knew how to use them. He did not, after finding a safe jacking point I lifted the van and placed the jack stands to make sure they were not going to crush anyone to death. I asked if he knew how to get the rotors off. He didn't. I pointed at the brake caliper mounts and said he needed to remove those two bolts and it should come off. I asked if he had good sockets. He said "I think so...somewhere". So I grabbed my 1/2" sockets and ratchet and came over to find whoever serviced his brakes last went bananas on the air gun and must have tightened to forty dugadugas. The power of leverage was summoned with the pipe from my jack and the bolts were broken free.

Long story turned short I ended up doing the whole job for the neighbor and he learned a lot. He has helped me with house stuff because I know jack all about that stuff so it was good and easy outside of the crazy bolts. His pads were one week away from digging into the rotors so it was definitely due. It was super easy to complete as well.

The Universe/Karma saw fit to take care of me instantly it seems. I went to buy a new grill and didn't expect Lowe's to only have assembled models but assumed it would still fit in the back of the Flex with all the seats folded down. I was wrong. Here I sat trying to fit a round peg in a square hole. I had taken the top off and it was just 5 inches too big to fit in any direction. Random dude walking out said "Doesn't fit?" I said nope. He asked "Do you live far?" and I mentioned where I lived, about 8 miles/less than 15 minutes in that direction. He pointed to his shiny F-150 and said "If you want to throw it in the back there I will follow you home". I didn't even hesitate and said "Yep. I will take you up on that". We wheeled it over to his truck, strapped it down and this guy took probably 45 minutes out of his Saturday to help me out. We unloaded it onto my driveway and shook hands and that was it. Didn't expect anything in return.

There are good people you guys. I hope that I am a good people to others.

That specific home depot / lowes helping circle seems to be self-sustaining.
My wife bought some adirondak chairs while driving my car and forgot she then needed to get them home. Someone drove them home like you said. I always drive my dually to lowes and have helped a few people now. The most memorable one being a guy who loaded a half dozen 12' 2x6's into his subaru impreza wagon, and had the fronts of the boards up on his dash. I helped him unload them and threw them in the back of the truck and followed him to his apt. building. I didn't ask what they were for at that point, he seemed to have a plan and I didn't want to wrap my mind around what he was planning on doing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CornHolio posted:

I'm not really having a problem with motivation. I'm enjoying running and have a pretty good place to do it.

I may have been running incorrectly. I went to New Balance and bought actual running shoes with supports for pronation (which I apparently need) which should help quite a bit, I imagine. My Pumas were pretty flat (relatively speaking) and I think maybe just the impacts are what hurt my knee.

Yeah shoes can really change how you land as well. I was running in Hokas which are a maximist shoe - and that added to the knee and ankle issues (along with the over stride issues already mentioned). The problem turns out that the cushioning was not allowing any feedback so I was just bashing my foot down hard. I've swapped to Brooks Riverra (which is nominally a womens shoe but they fit well so whatever) that does still have good support BUT it also gave me road feel and hence I'm no longer just hammering my knees as much and not getting ankle issues.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I went to buy a wheelbarrow today, bought the smallest one, didn’t fit in my G6, so I returned it

Then some dude pulled in the spot next to me as I was trying to cram it in and made all kinds of hand motions (one of which I recognized as the Arabic version of get hosed) because I was in the way and he couldn’t park somewhere else

:lol:

Two comments:

1) When did you get a G6 (the only car that may be even shittier than an Ion), and

2) How do you have so much experience with Arabs telling you to get hosed?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I don't often have a lot of car related stuff to contribute, but when I have something I do like to share. Over the weekend, my wife and I went to Standing Stone State Park, and there happened to be a car show there as well. I ended up taking a lot of pictures and figured I'd share. They're maybe not the best pictures, but I think they're nice. Fred also makes an appearance in a few photos.

Here's the whole imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/G5aP7

Here's a few highlights:

I love old trucks like this. I don't know if I'd bother to paint it, or just coat it in wax to slow down the rusting. The patina is really cool. Though, I do think I'd want actual bumpers.

This makes me think of California beaches back in the 60s.

No clue what this is, but it looks like a hoot.

Growing up listening to ZZ Top means that I love cars like this. In fact, ifwhen I own an old project car, it'll either be this or a 50s era pickup.

So cool.

This is my wife's favorite car there, a 68 Ford Country Squire. The owner bought it a week prior to the show and basically drove it from where he bought it to the show. Managed to get 18mpg, which is on par / slightly better than my truck. (The images uploaded out of order, but there's a photo of his info sheet)

There's also a random F350 picture. It wasn't in the show (should've been), but it's the cleanest and nicest 90s-era F350 I've seen. Other than the headlights it looks like it just rolled off the line.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Look up rogue access points if you think that wifi networks were secure before.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seminal Flu posted:

:lol:

Two comments:

1) When did you get a G6 (the only car that may be even shittier than an Ion), and

2) How do you have so much experience with Arabs telling you to get hosed?

It’s my wife’s and most of my friends are Arabic so they taught me all the bad words and hand gestures

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

It’s my wife’s and most of my friends are Arabic so they taught me all the bad words and hand gestures

Most boring answers, ever.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So it may have been a mistake to come to the Northern most point of Ireland for a holiday. A windy thing called 'Ophelia' is coning to gently caress poo poo up and we're right up top by the sea on the peninsula.

If I die, whoever wants to throw lots of money at it can have my Supra. Please have fun, feed it lots of oil and eventually stack it doing something stupid in my honour. Bless up.

Good luck. I hope it doesn't gently caress Ireland up too much but I also hope that it blows itself out before moving eastwards towards my house...

CornHolio posted:

Running hurts.

I think any exercise hurts if you don't do it frequently enough.

I walked up Scafell Pike (highest mountain in England) on Saturday with some mates and it is now Monday night and my legs still hurt. I walk quite a lot on the flat (I walk 2-3 miles every night to get 5k steps on my fitbit), but I thought I was going to faint after the first couple of miles of walking uphill. You gain about 450 metres in the first 2 miles before it slows down.

The weather turned loving terrible when we got about half way up and visibility eventually dropped to between 2 and 5 metres with strong wind and horizontal rain. The top 1/3rd of the mountain is just featureless rocks and I have never been so worried that I might have to call mountain rescue to get everybody down. I thought I had seen bad conditions but have never experienced how easy it is to loose your bearings till this weekend.

We got lost and had to resort to taking compass bearings to try and find a path again. Couldn't get a GPS location from a phone. We got our direction right and then met 2 guys who were using a phone to follow the same path we were aiming for but were also struggling to get an accurate GPS signal and it was so foggy that we couldn't even follow the trail of cairns.
After a while we heard voices and found a group of 5 girls (along with one idiot bloke who had been walking solo whom they had found) who had all been lost for close to 3 hours walking in circles around 10 minutes from the summit and had managed to get stuck on the side of a ridge which took a tricky scramble to get in and out of.

We all walked down from the summit together. At about 5pm we came out of the clouds to some actual visibility and the end of what looked like a nice day and met a group of people in trainers and normal clothes and without coats or bags who asked us if we thought they could make it up to the top...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

QuarkMartial posted:

Here's the whole imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/G5aP7

I love old trucks like this. I don't know if I'd bother to paint it, or just coat it in wax to slow down the rusting. The patina is really cool. Though, I do think I'd want actual bumpers.
Nice album and yeah that F350 is clean as hell. I saw an old diesel dually Dodge Ram 350 (didn't know Dodge ever had non 1500/2500/3500) pulling a huge race trailer the other day, thing was spotless and looked so right towing a massive trailer. After having the Courier for a while I've started to appreciate old trucks more and keep looking at older trucks...amazingly the wife has pointed out a few and commented "I would daily the hell out of that thing"

Home Depot / Lowes charity: I've been helped so many times and been able to return the favor a few times. Except when it's real busy people are usually pretty decent at these places and will help load or haul things if you're in over your head.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Goddammit. Don't do drugs kids.

Just found out a friend of mine od'd last night. loving nice kid and so young.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Looks like a Fiero

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Coasterphreak posted:

Looks like a Fiero

It's a Zimmer Golden Spirit. Built off the foxbody mustang.

The fiero was the Zimmer Quicksilver

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So.

It appears that the police know who murdered my friend and have known since six weeks after it happened. They knew where he was and where the murder weapon was and had a witness to tie it together but did not act on it. I am told (by a trusted source) that the evidence is pretty concrete and another person ratted the killer out but still, no action taken. He is not even a person of interest. We found this out because a friend who is a police officer heard that the case has been pulled from active investigation and some information slipped through the cracks.

I'm a bit upset.

Edit: Like, I've dealt with my grief. I mourned her and have moved past it because it was crushing me and I couldn't keep living like that. But to find out they had this information is pretty upsetting. But I'm not punching the walls or anything.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 17, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you arrest someone before you have your ducks in a row, it starts the speedy trial timeline.
It is literially why OJ was aquitted.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

slothrop posted:

Goddammit. Don't do drugs kids.

Just found out a friend of mine od'd last night. loving nice kid and so young.

:glomp:

I've lost way too many friends to drugs (one this year, dude was nearly 38... had no idea he'd gotten into opiates)... and had one OD of my own (ghb) a long time ago.

I'm amazed I made it past 25 sometimes.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Speaking of death... everybody's favorite drunk, Jim Lahey (or rather, John Dunsworth), died today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
He was a really solid dude, and this video is loving proof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mcQfP8k51s

• Locked thread